Start by marking “Mind Fields” as Want to Read:
Mind Fields

Mind Fields

This unique volume is rich with the vivid imagery of one of our most inventive fantasy artists, published here for the first time, together with 30 original short stories from one of the most widely read and critically acclaimed masters of imaginative fiction. 30 color photos.
Published March 1st 1994 by Morpheus International (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Mind Fields, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Fields

Jason
Sep 20, 2009 Jason rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like surrealist art
Recommended to Jason by: Browsing Urbana Free Library
Many of the miniature tales in this collection are like nightmarish Faberge eggs: beautiful, intricate, and menacing. He somehow condenses a much larger story into a single page, and does an impressive job of fleshing out possible backstories for Jacek Yerka's surrealist imagery. Alas, the tone of most of the stories is shrill, but fans of Ellison have come to expect nothing less, I think.
Morgan
Apr 07, 2010 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Oh, how I love the art of Jacek Yerka. His work is just so fantastical and wonderous. I only found out about him when his work caught my eye as I was strolling through Old Montreal and saw an art store. The stories that go with his work just fit. It's an amazing read if you appreciate the art and the words.
Shane Noble
Jul 21, 2011 Shane Noble rated it really liked it
Surrealistic paintings combined with short stories? Sign me up! Ellison clearly had fun with this and Yerka's work is beautiful.
Craig
Mar 07, 2017 Craig rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art on good quality paper with vibrant colors accompanied by Ellison's polished and pithy stories or vignettes that complement each other perfectly. What's not to love?
Eric Muss-Barnes
Sep 28, 2013 Eric Muss-Barnes rated it it was amazing
VIDEO VERSION:
Book Review on YouTube
Mind Fields by Harlan Ellison

Mind Fields is a book of short stories by Harlan Ellison, inspired by the mythic glory of paintings by Polish artist, Jacek Yerka.

Mind Fields, I'm ashamed to admit, is the first Harlan Ellison book I ever bought. Ashamed because I was over the age of 20 when it was published and Harlan Ellison almost instantly became one of my favorite authors of all time, and I regret I wasn't buying his books from the moment I could read.

Jacek Yerka paintings are so v
Bev
Any project that involves Harlan Ellison really is a mine field...of explosive ideas, earth-shaking revelations, and mental confrontations that are not for the faint of heart. Link him up with the provocative artwork of Jacek Yerka and you wind up with something very special indeed. Mind Fields: The Art of Jacek Yerka/The Fiction of Harlan Ellison does just that. An extraordinary collection of 30 images by Yerka with short pieces by Ellison which tell his story about Yerka's artwork. As Ellison ...more
Craig Childs
Apr 02, 2013 Craig Childs rated it liked it
An interesting concept book, MIND FIELDS presents 33 full-page color surrealist paintings by the Polish artist Jacek Yerka and 33 stories inspired by those paintings from award-winning speculative fiction writer Harlan Ellison.

The paintings were fun. They were at turns evocative, spooky, whimsical, and reverent. Yerka reminded me a less violent Salvador Dali, and these prints were well worth what I paid for the book.

The stories were not so consistent. Only four managed to match the tone and sub
Ellery
Aug 20, 2008 Ellery rated it it was ok
As a collaboration, this was disappointing. Jacek Yerka's paintings were haunting enough: abundant flirtation with magrittian impossibilities and bestial techologies. But each one has to share space with Harlan Ellison's gimmicky, distracting stories. I've always liked Ellison--"'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman" was an early favorite--and he did try hard to stress in his Author's Notes that his stories were intended as one possible interpretation of the paintings (among infinitudes). Th ...more
Donald Armfield
Mar 27, 2014 Donald Armfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, art
The concept of this book is kick ass. Take a portrait and write a story to go with it. Jack Yerka's artwork is landscape eye openers. With Harlan Ellison's stories being the paint used to paint them with.

-Internal Inspection *a sci-fi ward, people getting their dreams sucked out*

-The Cosmic Backyard *A man sells his soul for his family's better living*

Other interesting stories: Susan, The Inquisition and Base
David Allen
Sep 21, 2014 David Allen rated it it was ok
Ellison wrote stories to go with each painting by Yerka. An interesting concept in theory, although fans of either man's work may walk away frustrated. As an Ellison fan, I would say this was a nice try but that none of the stories rank with his best and that few of them are strong enough to work on their own. The paintings are detailed and suggestive. The book's layout has problems, especially the decision to stack up all the afterwords in the back. Oh well.
Turner
Sep 24, 2007 Turner rated it it was amazing
The premise of this book was pretty simple: Jacek Yerka provided Mr. Ellison with a group of his paintings, and Mr. Ellison wrote short stories (really short stories, most of them- heck, prose poems) as response/answer to them.
The artwork is stunning- and these are some of the best stories Mr. Ellison's written in decades.
R. Michael
Jun 24, 2014 R. Michael rated it it was amazing
Harlan Ellison has said this book contains some of his best work, and I would agree. The artwork is brilliant and Ellison's accompanying short fiction really epitomizes his use of fantasy and science fiction to create barbed social commentary, while also (occasionally) showing his gentler, more playful side. This is a GREAT book.
Serge Pierro
Jul 10, 2014 Serge Pierro rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, art
An enjoyable collaboration between artist Jacek Yerka and author Harlan Ellison. Ellison was presented with the Yerka paintings and titles, and from there, wrote some interesting stories based on them. Most of the books' layout, featured the story on the left page, and the painting on the right. An interesting project by two masters.
Ben Kotyuk
Apr 12, 2015 Ben Kotyuk rated it really liked it
Shelves: artists
I love the art but the accompanying text was lost on me. It seems like the fellow that wrote it never looked at the artwork so the two have nothing to do with each other.
Miss Kelly
Feb 09, 2016 Miss Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: artwork
Love the artwork of Jacek Yerka and the descriptions that follow the pictures are wonderful. I would like to own this book.
Rebecca Ogrodowski
Feb 05, 2013 Rebecca Ogrodowski rated it it was amazing
Fantastic art and hilarious stories. My favorite involves, "Send another house quick. The bitch ain't dead, only stunned." LOL
Kate
Jul 02, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the haughty and surreal
Recommended to Kate by: Bishop, back when
Shelves: short-stories, art
"Genuine literature should never try to explain itself."

"Nugae faciunt perfectionem et perfectio est nulla nuga."
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Vince Lamacki
Vince Lamacki rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2008
Nicholas Dragon
Nicholas Dragon rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2007
Edson Gushiken
Edson Gushiken rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Marian
Marian rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2011
Jacksprat
Jacksprat rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2011
Lauren Diaz
Lauren Diaz rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Anya
Anya rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2008
S.
S. rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2012
Isaac
Isaac rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2012
SSteppenwolFF
SSteppenwolFF rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2011
  • Magritte
  • Spectrum 12: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art
  • Dalí
  • Spectrum 7: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art
  • The World of M.C. Escher
  • Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials: Great Aliens from Science Fiction Literature
  • Francis Bacon: 1909-1992
  • The Howling Man
  • Dear Creature
  • Phoenix Without Ashes
  • www HR Giger com
  • Bosch
  • S. Petersen's Field Guide to Cthulhu Monsters: A Field Observer's Handbook of Preternatural Entities (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • The Best Japanese Science Fiction Stories
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • The North American Indian: The Complete Portfolios
  • The Pre-Raphaelites
  • The Lovecraft Anthology, Volume 1
Harlan Jay Ellison is a prolific American writer of short stories, novellas, teleplays, essays, and criticism.

His literary and television work has received many awards. He wrote for the original series of both The Outer Limits and Star Trek as well as The Alfred Hitchcock Hour; edited the multiple-award-winning short story anthology series Dangerous Visions; and served as creative consultant/write
More about Harlan Ellison...