Start by marking “Duizend schitterende zonnen” as Want to Read:
Duizend schitterende zonnen
read excerpt* *Different edition

Duizend schitterende zonnen

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  576,235 ratings  ·  34,227 reviews
A Thousand Splendid Suns is a breathtaking story set against the volatile events of Afghanistan’s last thirty years—from the Soviet invasion to the reign of the Taliban to the post-Taliban rebuilding—that puts the violence, fear, hope, and faith of this country in intimate, human terms. It is a tale of two generations of characters brought jarringly together by the tragic ...more
Published December 2010 by De Bezige Bij (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Duizend schitterende zonnen, please sign up.

Stephanie Having just finished reading both, I actually had a hard time with this question personally. The thing is, for much of the length of the book, I found…moreHaving just finished reading both, I actually had a hard time with this question personally. The thing is, for much of the length of the book, I found I ENJOYED The Kite Runner maybe a little more than A Thousand Splendid Suns, but not because the latter was any worse.. it just had very few reprieves from the anger and sadness I felt for the characters. It had a huge emotional effect on me, but that effect left me almost dreading reading more for fear of even worse things happening.

The Kite Runner, while incredibly emotional and also incredibly angering at times, I found it was easier for me to get through because there were also a lot of beautiful and more tender moments. So both had a very powerful impact on me, but I still found myself longing for the balance between beauty and sadness in The Kite Runner over the horrible circumstances the characters had to endure in A Thousand Splendid Suns.

All of that said, by the end I really felt like A Thousand Splendid Suns achieved that balance as well- it just took some time to get there. The last quarter or so of the story were so powerful and well written to me, and made me fall in love with these characters and their incredible strength and the relationships between them, rather than just feeling awful and nervous about what more they might have to go through. And that's not to say that it's only the ending that's good- it's more that, like the characters in the story, you just have to keep getting through the really painful stuff in order to appreciate the love and the good that's formed there despite it all as well.

I still do adore The Kite Runner so so much, and in terms of my own personal connection to the story, I'd probably just leave it at that both stories had a huge impact on me and I found them both stunning :) Having completed A Thousand Splendid Suns in its entirely, I don't think I can say I love it more or less than The Kite Runner.. I just adore them both.

In terms of which is technically written better? Hmm... perhaps ATSS, mostly because I thought the structure of it was really lovely, and lent a lot to the story at hand (also because, admittedly, The Kite Runner does get quite heavy on the coincidences toward the end). Then again, I did love the use of Amir's narration in The Kite Runner as well, and the first person narration was something I missed in ATSS until, again, the latter part of the book where I started to see a clear picture of how the structure of the book was being used to enhance the story. So they're both just beautifully written and make excellent use of their respective narrative structures and voice.

So, very long story short: Do read A Thousand Splendid Suns if you enjoyed The Kite Runner! They're both some of my favorite books I've read recently, and stories of true human resilience and love.. and it WAS really great to get a female perspective on the Afghan experience. Just do be prepared that it is not a FUN read, and can be quite tough to get through for the first while.. more so than The Kite Runner which gives you some good breaks from the sadness throughout. (less)

Lucy
Anu
August 2007

I was riding in a cab in Bombay recently, and a bookseller on foot approached me at a traffic light with a stack of books. I did my best not to look at the boy, but I couldn't help it. He was waving several books in my face and something caught my eye. I thought my glance was discreet, but he saw me look.. and it was game over. The light turned green right then and the boy starts running with the cab yelling 'Memsahib! Memsahib!'. We're picking up speed.. I'm so scared he's going to g
Stephen
A_Thousand_Splendid_Suns-1-1
Like diamonds and roses hidden under bomb rubble, this is a story of intense beauty and strength buried under the surface of the cruel and capricious life imposed upon two Afghani women.
She remembered Nana saying once that each snowflake was a sigh heaved by an aggrieved woman somewhere in the world. That all the sighs drifted up the sky, gathered into clouds, then broke into tiny pieces that fell silently on the people below. As a reminder of how people like us suffer, she'd said. How quiet
Daniel
Mar 15, 2013 Daniel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: Rose
Shelves: 2009
It's apparently becoming something of a tradition for me to trash books that are not only widely loved and praised, but were specifically recommended to me by friends. Khaled Hosseini's "A Thousand Splended Suns," I'm sorry to say, is going to get the same treatment. (Forgive me, Rose.) "Splendid Suns" has been so widely read by this point, I won't bother recounting the story, and instead simply list my objections:

- Hosseini seems incapable of creating characters with much depth to them. E.M. Fo
K
Sep 14, 2008 K rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who actually thought "The Kite Runner" was a good book
Recommended to K by: Shelly
To my editor:

Khaled here. As I was reviewing my final draft of “A Thousand Splendid Suns,” some questions occurred to me.

1. Could I make the characters any less complex? Despite my efforts, I feel I haven’t fully achieved the one-dimensionality my readers seemed to love in “The Kite Runner.” Specifically, I’m afraid I may have given Rassan one or two potentially sympathetic moments early on despite his overall abusive personality (although I more than make up for it). I don’t know whether my rea
Don
Suns is part historical fiction, part social commentary and part kick-in-the-throat storytelling. A friend of mine said that Suns is a metaphor for Afghanistan but I found it illustrative of Afghanistan's weary and violent history; I found it brutally educational. When I had studied in Germany in 1987, I lived in an international dormitory. I asked my neighbor, Hyder, where he was from, he leaned in to me with a devilish grin and hissed “Afghanistan!” While others found this amusing, the effect ...more
Hend
I have never cried while reading a book,like I Did while reading this one!

It is the story of poor, uneducated women who have to endure the hardships of life...
The horrors and terrors that a lot of women have gone through during certain period in Afghanistan, the war torn country ,and the narration through the lives of two women Mariam and Laila..

Going through All kinds of Physical abuse of hitting, kicking and slapping ,brutal beating ,etc….
Struggling the cruel extremely sadistic Rasheed, And s
Lynne King
I started this book with high expectations. I had been overwhelmed with every conceivable emotion when I read the “Kite Runner” and just couldn’t believe that his second book, “A Thousand Splendid Suns”, could possibly be as good.

So it was with trepidation and yet excitement that I read this book. I had left the last dozen or so pages to read until the following morning, as I didn’t want to quite let it go, and as I sat there at 7 a.m. on the terrace, with a cup of coffee in my hand, I slowly fi
Nandakishore Varma
Emily May

It was a warm, sunny day in Montenegro and I was about to set out on a boat trip. I felt certain that a combination of sightseeing and the people I was with would keep me from having much time to read, but I packed a book anyway just in case there was time for a chapter or two in between stops. A Thousand Splendid Suns happened to be that book. And at the end of the day, when I staggered off that boat, blinking at my sudden exposure to reality, it wasn't because I'd been mesmerised by the stunn
Tom Carrico
Book Review

A Thousand Splendid Suns
By Khaled Hosseini

Reviewed by Tom Carrico

It’s amazing that this author has the #1 fiction paperback (The Kite Runner) and the #1 fiction hardback (A Thousand Splendid Suns) on “The New York Times” bestseller list. The Kite Runner has sold over four millions copies since its release in 2003. It is a hauntingly written novel set in war-torn Afghanistan. It is exceptionally well plotted and opens the window on a part of the world that very few of us are familiar w
Rachel
May 30, 2008 Rachel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle class liberal white women
Recommended to Rachel by: middle class liberal white woman
طَيْف

مريم يا وجع القلب!

description

قادتني الرواية برفقة "مريم" في دروب أفغانستان الوعرة...بكل ما فيها من أحداث جسيمة واضطرابات وحروب وقهر وظلم وتخبط...فمن خلال حكايتها وحكاية ليلى التي تقاطعت معها فيما بعد ألقى الكاتب الضوء على العديد من الأحداث التي مرت بأفغانستان وشكلت التاريخ الأفغاني بدءا بانتهاء الحكم الملكي وبالاحتلال الروسي ومن ثم بحكم طالبان والحرب الأمريكية على أفغانستان.

هذه الرواية من الروايات التي تتباين حولها الآراء...لأنها تعالج واقعا متأزما المجال فيه مفتوح لكثير من التصورات والتحليلات...ولأنها ركز
Becky
I loved The Kite Runner, but A Thousand Splendid Suns is even better. This book is described as breathtaking, and I have to say that is a teensy bit of an understatement.

There were times, reading this, when I literally couldn't breathe, and felt like the bottom had dropped out of my stomach. But this story is beautiful, and enlightening and hopeful even through all the gritty, heart-wrenching, almost physically painful emotional rawness of it.

I am surprised at how well Hosseini writes from a w
mai ahmd
ستبقى ذكرى هذه الرواية مرتبطة باللقاء الأول مع أصدقاء صالون الجمعة لذلك فضلت أن أسجل هذا للتاريخ :)
المؤسف أننا قرأنا هذه الرواية الجميلة بترجمة ليست بنفس الجودة وأنا على ثقة أنه لو كانت الرواية بيد أكثر
خبرة وإتقان لكانت مكتملة

سلطت الرواية الضوء على فئة مغبونة وموجودة في كل مجتمع الفئة التي يطلق عليها ( ابن ، ابنة حرام ) وربما التركيز هنا على الفتاة لإن المجتمعات التي نعيش فيها هي مجتمعات ذكورية الرجل قد يسلك فيها بأي طريقة لكن الفتاة وفي مجتمع إسلامي فالفتاة تولد وقد وئدت كل حقوقها وأصبحت منذ
Ruth
Jan 31, 2008 Ruth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens and up
Recommended to Ruth by: Cara
ياسمين ثابت

تصميمي لغلاف الرواية

ألف شمس مشرقة

وألف دمعة وألف طعنة للقلب مع كل سطر من سطور هذه الرواية

اللقاء الأول بيني وبين خالد حسيني

واللقاء الأول كذلك بيني وبين افغانستان وتاريخها وحضارتها في رواية

نصيحة لأي قارئ إذا تألمت واستعصى عليك بالبكاء فإقرأ هذه الرواية واضمن لك ان دموعك لن تستطيع المقاومة
ستبكي وتبكي وتبكي وتبكي

أكبر شمس مشرقة بالرواية كانت مريم

الفتاة يتيمة الأب وهو حي يتيمة الأم وهي حبيسة وجعها
ترمى إلى قدمي رجل يكبرها ضعف عمرها مطلق من أجل التخلص منها
تنطفئ وتظلم تحت طبقات كثيرة جدا من الظلم والقهر ا
Ilhem

بدأنا القراءة في صالون الجمعة ... كان جو الأصدقاء رائع ومحفز للقراءة أكثر وبطريقة أجمل .

في الجزء الأول من رائعة خالد الحسيني لم أستطع تصور حجم الألم الداخلي لهذه الزهرة البرية التي تدعى مريم ؟

كيف استطاعت وهي ابنة الخمس سنين أن تتحمل أذنها سماع كلمة بحجم كلمة - ابنة حرام- ؟ أن تتعايش معها أن تحسها ، أن تتخبط في التساؤلات اللا منتهية ، دون ان تسمع الاجابة التي لربما تمحي بعضا من ألمها ، كيف؟ كيف؟

كانت حواسها ممزقة منذ لحظة زرعت عنوة، ونبتت عنوة، وانتشت عنوة، لتسقى عند انتاشها اخيرا بعبارات الازدرا
Eastofoz
Nov 15, 2008 Eastofoz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers looking for a highly emotional soul-ripping read
Shelves: fiction
Another exceptional book by Hosseini. It’ll rip out your heart, have you crying buckets and buckets of tears while marveling at the triumph of the human spirit through severe and virtually unimaginable adversity as well as pure hell.

The writing is absolutely beautiful. The pictures he paints with his words are so vivid that everything from the fun everyday life to the squalor that war brings to the ordinary person just flashes before your eyes like a movie. There are some parts that have no doub
Lance Greenfield
A very moving story which could change your life.

This is a work of fiction which is beautifully woven using many threads of both harsh and loving reality. I cannot believe that it could be possible for any reader to get through this book without shedding a tear. I shed many.

It is about the collision of the life-paths of two women who come from very different family backgrounds, but become the wives of the same, cruel husband in Kabul. They form an unlikely, strong, and loving, alliance.

The story
Margitte
After reading the book I was speechless for about two hours. It was as though I was unceremoniously dropped back into my life after a volatile flight in a time machine which took me unexpectedly to Afghanistan. I met Miriam, Laila, Rasheed, Tariq - gentle, brutal, sadistic, happy, sad people in one place - ordinary people, who make mistakes, like you and me.

I was thinking about the 9/11 attack on the Twin Towers and the media coverage it received all over the globe and the outrage the rest of th
Janeciab
My review from the Los Angeles Times Book Review:

Afghani-born novelist Khaled Hosseini enthralled readers with “The Kite Flyer,” his first novel, which was constructed around the friendship between Amir, a privileged Pashtun Sunni born in Kabul, and his boyhood friend and servant Hassan, a Shi’a, ethnic Hazara and master kite runner who, in the course of running to ground the coveted last fallen kite of the winter tournament in 1975, has a violent encounter that changes both boys’ lives.

“The Ki
Idle Hippo
The story sets in a "war zone" Afghanistan which is Hosseini does his good job provides me with a glimpse of the history of Afghanistan. Although I feel the story moves slowly in the 1st and 2nd part of the book. The story is really flowing for me when Mariam and Laila lives become intertwined. From this point this book simply unputdownable. Mariam and Laila forged an alliance and harboring resentment against a violent and brutal Rasheed whose happen to be their husband (I really want to kick th ...more
Carmen
Nov 12, 2014 Carmen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nicholas Sparks Fans
Recommended to Carmen by: Library
Shelves: fiction
I'm beginning to think Hosseini is a one-trick pony.

Perhaps because I read this book immediately after I finished The Kite Runner, but this was just more of the same. Just swap out "little boys" for "women" in this book, and you've got about the same concept.

To be vague, but give you an idea of what's going on in this book:

- People are blown up. Their various body parts are found on rooftops and are gathered in the streets by their weeping mothers.

- Girls of 14 and 15 are sold into marriage by
Beth
Seems that this book and its predecessor, The Kite Runner, has been getting a lot of buzz on the Internet lately — but based on the reviews, I’d shied away from reading either. Most people seemed to agree that these stories of Afghan civil war were “hard” to read — not because of lengthy, erudite descriptions (quite to the contrary, actually; Splendid Suns, at least, was basically well-written with plenty of dialogue to drive the reader through the storyline) but because of the topic. I suspecte ...more
Marianne Elliott
While trying to rate this book I discovered that there is quite a big leap from three stars to four stars. From "i liked it" to "i really liked it".

I liked this book. If I didn't live and work in Afghanistan it might have stopped there. I like it, I learned from it. Three stars and it's over. Hosseini is a good writer, but not four star excellent.

But I do live in Afghanistan. I lived in Kabul for 8 months and then in Herat for 10 months. Now I live in a remote province no-one outside Afghanista
إبراهيم   عادل

وهكذا انتهت هذه الرواية .. المليئة بالألم .. والوجع والحرب والدماء
إذا رزقت "ليلى" ببنت فإنها ستسميها "مريم" .. مريم لا تموت
برع "خالد حسيني" للمرة الثانية على التوالي ـ كما يجمع على ذلك كل من قرؤوه ـ في رسم المأساة الأفغانية بتفاصيلٍ حقيقية موجعة، ولا يبدو لي الآن، وأنا بين براثن المأساة الأفغانية أن دولة عانت أو شعبًا عانى ما عاناه الأفغان، ولكن هاهم يواصلون حياتهم بكل دأب، مثل "ليلى" و"طارق" بطلا العمل، بل ومثل "مريم" التي ضحت بنفسها من أجل أن تراهم يعيشون، وحلمت لهم بحياة أجمل مما عاشته هي
Sarah Shahid
رواية مؤلمة بلا شك

تصف البؤس الاجتماعي في أفغانستان، حالة المرأة المزرية في ذلك الوقت، وضع اللاجئين المشردين.

لكنها لا تصلح أبداً لتكون مصدراً سياسياً أو تاريخياً فقد كان فيها الكثير من الانحياز

للأسف لم يكن الكاتب براغماتياً أبداً بل كان مقيداً بإيدولوجيات فرضها المعسكر الغربي لذلك نال تلك الشهرة في أمريكا

لا أعرف السبب الحقيقي لتخليه بهذا الشكل عن قضية بلده وتحويرها، هل لأن أمريكا منحته حق اللجوء السياسي؟؟ أم أنها استقبلته في جامعاتها؟؟ أم بعده عن بلده وعيشه في كاليفورنيا؟؟

لا أستطيع بالضبط الوقوف
Rowena
This book definitely left an indelible impression on me. It really helped me understand Afghanistan's tragic history (the revolutions, Soviet invasion, the Taliban) and also how religion can be used to control people. Mariam and Laila's sisterhood was wonderful to me; the fact that they joined forces to fight a tyrant was so touching to me.I definitely couldn't read this book more than once; it was too tragic. Great writing.
Jennifer Joelle
I must admit that I had some trepidation in starting this novel, along with hope and excitement.

Hosseini's first book, "The Kite Runner" is quite truthfully, one of the best novels I have ever had the pleasure of reading and I can state most elatedly that "A Thousand Splendid Suns" will take it's place amongst those stories that I cherish. I was apprehensive in starting this book simply because I was worried that I would be disappointed; that it would not be clearly as heart wrenchingly good as
Indian Bookworms: Sacred life of Kafirs 2 5 Nov 18, 2014 08:20AM
Marmara: Bin Muhteşem Güneş 4 22 Nov 06, 2014 04:33AM
Marmara ***Türkçe*** 1 11 Nov 01, 2014 03:23AM
Sacred life of Kafirs 1 25 Oct 29, 2014 10:32AM
Author's Little C...: Sacred life of Kafirs 1 1 Oct 29, 2014 10:24AM
All Books. All th...: Sacred life of Kafirs 1 3 Oct 29, 2014 10:22AM
  • Beyond Black
  • Het huis van de moskee
  • Boom!
  • Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding, #2)
  • Born Under a Million Shadows
  • Crow Lake
  • Q & A
  • The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books,  #1)
  • Still Alice
  • Veil of Roses
  • Mudbound
  • Half of a Yellow Sun
  • Virgins of Paradise
Hosseini was born in Kabul, Afghanistan, in 1965. In 1970 Hosseini and his family moved to Iran where his father worked for the Embassy of Afghanistan in Tehran. In 1973 Hosseini's family returned to Kabul, and Hosseini's youngest brother was born in July of that year.
In 1976, when Hosseini was 11 years old, Hosseini's father obtained a job in Paris, France, and moved the family there. They were u
More about Khaled Hosseini...
The Kite Runner And the Mountains Echoed The Kite Runner: Graphic Novel The Kite Runner & A Thousand Splendid Suns I cieli di Kabul : interviste

“Marriage can wait, education cannot.” 1258 likes
“One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs,
Or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls.”
1152 likes