Start by marking “Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences” as Want to Read:
Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences

Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Evidence of the Afterlife shares the firsthand accounts of people who have died and lived to tell about it. Through their work at the Near Death Experience Research Foundation, radiation oncologist Jeffrey Long and his wife, Jody, have gathered thousands of accounts of near-death experiences (NDEs) from all over the world. In addition to sharing the personal narrative of t ...more
Published January 19th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published December 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Evidence of the Afterlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evidence of the Afterlife

Diane Thorsen
I actually experienced a near death event. 2 years ago I suffered a brain annuerysm as I was driving my 2 golden retriever grand-dogs home from day care. I was able to see the emergency crew working on me from above. It is something I will never forget and will be forever grateful for. I also saw both my parents and my aunt, all 3 had been gone for some time. my mom actually spoke to me, as did God, telling me it was not my time yet and I needed to get back to my life and was reassured everythin ...more
Julie Reed
I loved how this Dr. drilled the points in over and over that there is an afterlife based on his observations and studies. It's really hard to dispute that after reading this book based on the many similar experiences people have had all over the world. I am very spiritual and a Christian, but I really liked how this book was written from a non-Christian standpoint. It only reinforced my beliefs and gave me hope.
Michael Johnson
Jeffrey Long is a very, very bright and amazing doctor. He goes into territory that few can and reports on a subject that our medical pros can't touch because its out of our understanding. Having had a NDE I will fully state that there is no doubt something more. I was dead for 24 minutes following a car accident on a secluded road with no one to help. I saw my body in the wreck and was fully aware of the events taking place. I even checked the time on the clock radio. I was taken through a tunn ...more
Greg
Years ago, I read Dr. Raymond Moody’s books about near death experiences, Life After Life and Reflections on Life After Life. A few others followed, such as Return From Tomorrow and Embraced By The Light. Each of these accounts of near death experiences interested me because they seemed to include many elements that dovetailed with the doctrines of the gospel. However, I was always troubled that not all was consistent with the doctrine.

Recently, I came across another book about NDE’s, and in th
Laurent Videau
A very updated book on hundreds of documented cases of NDEs.

How can any one continue to doubt the existence of life after death when so many cases, across culture, age, religion...say the same thing?

Doubters should try to read other books on the same topics. All these experiencers of NDEs are not expressing their opinions on the subject, they are recounting what they experienced. These experiences are not derived from polls, they are vivid recollections.

To explain this by brain circuitry being a
J.D. Camorlinga
I picked this up in preparation for an upcoming presentation Dr. Long will be giving in April which I plan to attend. This book is a summary of the author's findings after years of research in the field of near death experiences.

The book was really quite good for a number of reasons. First, the material is presented in a very accessible way which cannot always be said for books presenting research data. It had a good sampling of narrative accounts from people who had near death experiences. I al
Pete
Dr. Long surveyed hundreds of people who had Near Death Experiences (NDE) all over the world (but mostly in English speaking countries) and put together this book as a summary of his findings.

The evidence presented is quite compelling:
1. Very Young Children who have NDE's with all the elements of adult NDE's (meeting dead relatives, tunnel, white light, etc.)
2. People Blind from Birth having NDE with visual experiences
3. Similar NDE experiences for people all over the world

The stories shared by
Lia
I was fascinated by this book. I genuinely enjoyed reading it each time I picked it up. The author comes from the point of view of trying to give scientific support for the reality of afterlife experiences of people who die and then come back. He makes many good points as far as the science is concerned.

For instance, some skeptics may say that people who claim to have near-death experiences are hallucinating -- but if that is the case, then why are there so many documented near-death experience
Deborah Edwards
The subject matter of this book is undoubtedly fascinating. A radiation oncologist with a scientific background comes across some textbook cases of near death experiences in medical journals early in his career and makes it his life-long mission to collect as many near-death experiences as possible from around the world and study their similarities and statistical consistencies, as well as their apparent occurrence in the face of medical improbability, to conclude that his body of work proves th ...more
Gregg Wright
I read the book in preparation for an interview with the author.

The book raises some interesting questions about NDEs, but I think that Dr. Long is relying a bit too heavily on anecdotes as the basis of his findings. He does refer to other studies that apparently corroborate his findings, but most of the details relate to his own study, which is almost entirely based on the large collection of NDE stories that he's collected through his website. Given that this is the first book that I've ever r
Ian
This book makes some interesting points but, although I believe in life after death, I don't think the argument was all that strong. On the one hand it is hard to argue with the brute fact of people having experiences while there is no detectable brain activity - this is something that pretty much demands an explanation beyond our current scientific knowledge. On the other hand, there seemed to be a consistent confusion of a person having a real experience vs a person having an experience of an ...more
Cristael Bengtson
May 18, 2013 Cristael Bengtson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in NDE's
In 1998 Dr. Jeffrey Long came up with the idea of using a carefully structured online questionnaire to form the basis of a serious scientific study of Near Death Experiences. Dr. Long founded the Near Death Experience Research Foundation along with its website, NDERF.org.

Over the succeeding twelve years, more than 1300 NDE'rs took hours of their time to fill out the questionnaire, and Dr. Long wound up with a gold mine of first-hand information on the Near Death Experience, all of it up on NDER
Kim
If you're sceptical of the sceptics, this book is for you. Early in the first chapter, Long pulls out a profound quote from a 1980 article of the Journal of the American Medical Association. It's from an editorial on research data done on Near-Death Experiences. "Blacher points out that 'physicians must be especially wary of accepting religious belief as scientific data.' I might add that equal caution should be exercised in accepting scientfic belief as scientific data."

There are no logical ex
Bram
This book is called "Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences". I though that this book would explain why people all over the world believe that afterlife exists and that the book would describe the science behind near-death experiences.

Wrong, the author argues that the afterlife exists. His so-called evidence: he performed a questionnaire to people who believe they had a near-death experiences, he influences them with some highly suggestive questions ("Did you seem to e
Megan
Oct 15, 2014 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: Audible Sale
Shelves: audible-book
If you're looking to be scientifically convinced that there is a life after death, this book is for you. If you are hoping to read a lot of stories of people who had near death experiences, you'll get just enough to whet your appetite, but you'll want more.
Interesting approach--the scientific proving of life after death.
Mark

I have to admit that I began reading this book just days after my father's death. Though his death was expected, he was the first parent to go. His death came with many emotions and brought into more focus my own mortality.

Though I believe in a God, I am distrustful of much organized religion; I have seen--and felt--the pain my own religious tradition can cause.

I have often been intrigued by the stories of near death experiences I have heard through the years. This particular book did not real
Gary Coulier
After a long trip through science, trying to finally figure out what side of the fence I was going to live on, I landed on the science side and was so glad I finally knew the truth. But then I came across this book. This book made me jump to the God side. This book is what I call the anchor to my faith. Any time any doubt rises about my faith in Christ, I remember the points in this book.

I ended up reading many other books (most of which are not on my read list because they were quite a while ag
Angie
This book was about a scientific study that Dr. Jeffrey Long started in 1998 about near death experiences (NDEs) that had occurred to individuals to be "clinically dead" with no heartbeat and are not breathing also they could be so physically compromised they would die. The subject was incredibly interesting and actually gave me a different outlook on what will happen to me when I die. The most interesting part of the book where the individual NDE's are told from the actual person. These individ ...more
Obaada Elhomsy
It is a good book in general, yet there are some point that deserve pointing out. It clearly appears that the NDE is something unusual and unexplainable. It can't be explained from a materialistic point of view whats so over. NDErs (People who had near death experience) said that they saw their bodies from above, as if they were floating, which asserts that it's an out of body experience ( It is impossible to have that view from inside of the body!) Despite all of that, I'm still skeptical about ...more
Peter
Fantastic topic. Great effort collecting and sharing NDE stories. Those stories allow us to really examine what an NDE is all about. And as the author points out, those stories lead to additional questions for exploration.

I would have liked to have seen two areas better explained for the lay person.

1 - The science of death so I can better appreciate why these NDEs cannot be medically explained.

2 - I would also like to have had the NDE story collection process better explained. As we all know ga
Frank Tuttle
The author of this book, Jeffrey Long, is a doctor. He's seen quite a few people survive what we know as clinical death and come back with tales of what they experienced when they were, in fact, incapable of experiencing anything.

The author took a methodical approach to investigating the commonalities of the Near Death Experiences he documents. The book doesn't try to explain the experiences by pigeonholing them into any particular belief system (and if it had, I'd have stopped reading).

Bascial
Roger
Jeffrey Long explores stories as data collected through a survey from his Near Death Experience Research Foundation and identifies 9 general similarities from over 1300 NDEs from around the world. He argues that the statistics in favor that NDEs are scientific evidence of an afterlife. A reader looking to believe in the reality of NDEs will no doubt find the similarities of the experiences compelling.

Long takes a scientific approach to studying the topic, but as to the claim of scientific evide
John Corder
Jan 12, 2014 John Corder rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People new to Near Death Experience
While at university, I befriended a student who’d recently had a Near Death Experience. A car hit him while he was walking down a country road. We remained friends and I’ve been able to see the long-term effect an NDE can have on someone’s life. Knowing someone who had an NDE does not of course prove the phenomenon true. Sceptics will always reply on it as being either anecdotal, hallucinatory or both. However, I do believe in it and I follow the growing body physics that supports it.

In his boo
Katy
I was skeptical going into this book. I think my main bias lies in the conservative Christian upbringing where phenomena such as Near-Death Experiences and Out-of-Body Experiences are looked on as occult-like. The author does not look at NDE's from a religious lens but a scientific lens, looking at 9 different proofs for why he believes that not only are NDE's real experiences, but that they all point to evidence that there is a life after death. This is huge news for the religious community! He ...more
Jen Lepp
Before my son's surgery, I had to face my scientific, atheistic, "maybe there is something and maybe there isn't but hell if I know" secularism head on as I spent the vast majority of my life seeking in different spiritual paths, but finding that I always came back to the logical. If there are no atheists in foxholes, there probably aren't in children's hospital waiting rooms, either.

I had prepared myself to handle any eventuality (as best one can in a situation that may tear one's world asunder
Eric
I'm surprised there are so many good reviews of this book. I found this book to be the epitome of why this topic (NDE, reincarnation, etc) is not taken seriously by the scientific community.

My biggest complaint was the fact that, although the book title touts this book as presenting "Evidence" of NDE, the author continuously calls these studies "proof" of NDEs. There is, nor can there ever really be, proof of an afterlife; just evidence to suggest it. To call it "proof" is to negate your claims
Richard (Rick)
This was a really interesting book. A medical doctor provides scientific evidence for the afterlife, concluding we have more evidence for the afterlife then we do for some cancers.

I actually don't believe spiritual things like the afterlife can be fully proven scientifically. I do not believe that is God's intention, as it removes the need for faith. Given that, I don't think Dr. Long's methodology is the strongest study, but you can't really do randomized controlled experiments in this case. W
Emily
This is an excellent book because it talks about this question from a scientific/statistical position and provides a different perspective for those of us who are searching for answers in this area. I HIGHLY recommend this book especially if you find yourself skeptical about Near Death Experiences. I recommended this to a friend of mine who's a doctor and a scientist and who isn't the type of person to dive into a belief based on his gut feel. If you're interesting in this subject matter, read i ...more
Rex Libris
A very fascinating book. The author is a doctor who heads an ongoing study on Near-Death Experiences (NDEs). He argues they are real, and also debunks criticisms against their existence.

Issues he discusses include the following:

NDEs could not be the product of concious/subconciousness as at the time of death they no longer exist.

Teh group created 33 elements common to NDEs and they are consistent through all experiences. These factors hold up across age and culture.

Blind people and deaf people r
Philip Fracassi
There is so much we don't know about ourselves, the universe, and the energy that binds everything together.

I think that to believe our bodily existence is the crux of what we are intended for would be naive given the ever-growing evidence that there is something much more to each one of us than this current iteration of self is prepared to reveal.

I have the distinct feeling that there will be a time where the idea of this life being the beginning and end of existence will be viewed as ignorant,
  • The 2012 Story: The Myths, Fallacies, and Truth Behind the Most Intriguing Date in History
  • Fringe-ology: How I Tried to Explain Away the Unexplainable-And Couldn't
  • The Afterlife Experiments: Breakthrough Scientific Evidence of Life After Death
  • Skeptics and True Believers: The Exhilarating Connection Between Science and Religion
  • Vampire Forensics: Uncovering the Origins of an Enduring Legend
  • Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation
  • The Myth of a Christian Religion: Losing Your Religion for the Beauty of a Revolution
  • Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience
  • The Feng Shui Junkie
  • Dark Mysteries of the Vatican
  • The Masque of Africa: Glimpses of African Belief
  • Chords of Strength: A Memoir of Soul, Song and the Power of Perseverance
  • Closer to the Light: Learning from the Near-Death Experiences of Children
  • Lord, Change My Attitude
  • The Immortalization Commission: Science and the Strange Quest to Cheat Death
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Occult America: The Secret History of How Mysticism Shaped Our Nation
  • Entangled Minds: Extrasensory Experiences in a Quantum Reality
Jeffrey Long, M.D., is a physician practicing the specialty of radiation oncology (use of radiation to treat cancer) in Houma, Louisiana. Dr. Long has served on the Board of Directors of IANDS (International Association for Near-Death Studies), and is actively involved in NDE research.

In August of 1998, the nonprofit Near Death Experience Research Foundation and coinciding website (nderf.org) was
More about Jeffrey Long...
God and the Afterlife: The Groundbreaking New Evidence of Near-Death Experience Remembered Childhoods: A Guide to Autobiography and Memoirs of Childhood and Youth Esiste un posto bellissimo. L'aldilà nelle testimonianze di chi lo ha visto God and the Afterlife LP Beweise für ein Leben nach dem Tod: Die umfassende Dokumentation von Nahtoderfahrungen aus der ganzen Welt (German Edition)

“… I have had patients describe extensive “out of body” experiences during open heart surgery in which” 0 likes