Start by marking “Akira, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Akira, Vol. 2
Preview

Akira, Vol. 2 (Akira: 6 Volumes #2)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  4,292 ratings  ·  102 reviews
IN THE 21ST CENTURY, Neo-Tokyo has risen from the ashes of a Tokyo obliterated by a monstrous psychokinetic power known only as Akira, a being who yet lives, secretly imprisoned in frozen stasis. Those who stand guard know that Akira's awakening is a terrifying inevitability. Tetsuo, an angry young man with immense—and rapidly growing—psychic abilities, may be their only h ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by Kodansha Comics (first published September 4th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Akira, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akira, Vol. 2

Eric
(I read Akira in one huge go over a weekend, so I will be cutting and pasting this review for all 6 volumes)

Akira is an epic work of science fiction sequential art. The storyline is complex and consistent. There is social commentary, ethical musing, and morality woven through an action packed storyline of science gone wrong. The "romance" portion of the story is believable as well. The two characters are drawn to one another over time, and the world doesn't stop for them to wallow in their newfo
Thomas Slyne
After reading the original Akira, I had high hopes for the second volume. I can definitely say that my expectations were fully met. In the second installment of Akira, it starts off with the whole gang including Tetsuo taken captive by the Japanese military. Kei gains supernatural powers from a ghost child, and the rest of the novel is confrontations between Kaneda's gang and Tetsuo/Military. Similar to the first Akira, there was plenty of action and humor to go along with the plot. The dark set ...more
Nate D
Otomo's twinned finesse for meticulous architecture and kinetic, gestural character drawings, are, of course, totally amazing. And the story continues to be involving, especially as it really starts to look ahead past the film version which the action here has already nearly caught up to. But, action-packed as this is, it's almost too action packed. Couldn't we pull back a bit and focus on the characters and ideas and side developments a little longer? Plus, the enjoyment of Kaneda as improbable ...more
Nicholas Karpuk
There's often a sense, reading a work as long as this, that an artist's interest shift over time. What starts out with a fairly straightforward end game sometimes expands.

There's definitely a sense in the second volume that Otomo's vision had broadened. The biker gang drama damn near drops off the map, and most of this volume focuses on the project that studies the surviving members of the project that created Akira.

Kaneda, Kei, and Tetsuo are the only characters outside of that group who get m
Scott Lee
Phenomenal. I saw the anime years ago and was stunned by it, although I admit that I had a hard time following what was happening. I once heard Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York called a beautiful mess by one critic or another. Didn't apply in my opinion, it was just a mess. However, that Akira anime fit the definition of beautiful mess perfectly in my book. Stunning visual artistry and a story that was incredibly complex and appealing but told in such a way that I could only just grasp all of ...more
Gayatri Iyer
Superb Second volume to the dramatic and action filled Akira first volume. I really enjoyed reading this book a lot. In fact, I am slowly becoming a huge fan of this series.
This volume used the character Kei in a really appreciable manner. Kaneda didn’t have a huge role, still served importance to this volume and showed his likeable side. And Oh Damn! The titular character finally makes his appearance. I’m eager to know what Akira holds to himself. Also, Tetsuo, that idiot pisses me a lot( and t
Otto
This volume's More focused, more splodey (HOW?!), and has more changes from the anime. So pretty much why I started going through these.
Asher Riley
When compared to the magnificent original, "Akira: Book 2" is lacking, only slightly. But than again, it is pretty hard to follow up such an amazing original, and despite not being as memorable or as awe-inspiring as the first one was, "Akira: Book 2" is still an outstanding sequel that pays much homage to its predecessor, while still establishing new elements and plot that will play out in the next following entries of the series. All in all, this is an exhilarating, highly complex and beautifu ...more
Germancho
Oh boy oh boy things are moving really fast now! Sadly, I read the whole thing in an hour and a half. I guess a later, more calm re-reading will do me good. Also, it was interesting to see that some very memorable scenes from the film weren't based on the source material.
Faith Erin
Re-reading my 3 volumes of Akira. I hated the movie and it put me off the manga for years, but the manga is, in my opinion, so much better than the movie. It has time for comedy, for character moments, the plotline actually (kinda) makes sense, and Otomo's genius level draftsmanship is well on display. Such a great read. A classic for many, many reasons.

Otomo made this comic before he was 40 (he was about 28 when he began it in 1982). Probably to make everyone else feel bad about their accomplis
Helmut
Die Temperatur steigt...

... und mit dem Auftauen Akiras steigt auch die gefühlte Action in diesem Band im Vergleich zum Vorgänger. Sehr beeindruckend, wie hier die tausenden von Rohre, Stahlträger und Kabel, die Otomo in akribischer Weise gezeichnet hat, explodieren und zerschmettert werden. Der Detailgrad der Zeichnungen ist fantastisch - nur Vagabond ist da noch extremer.
Die Geschichte zieht aber auch vom Plotting her an - wusste man in Band 1 noch nicht mal, ob Akira ein Mensch, eine Maschine
Mike
Quick thoughts: The pace has evened out a bit and I liked this more than volume 1. Interesting stuff going on with both Tetsuo and Kaneda, and I like the way the various threads have been intersecting. We're to a significant event much sooner than I expected. In one sense this make me happy (as the first vol was too slow) and is very intriguing. In another I wonder if there's enough left to sustain my interest for another four 300+ page volumes. We'll see...
Gav451
As this book gets going it moves away from what you would expect. The preconceptions based on the excellent but incomplete film are soon washed away as you realise that you have no idea where this tale is going to take you.

It is hard to see each book as an independent item as opposed tom part of a whole but that would mean I would have to just write one review and then repeat it 6 times, this would not do this epic tale justice. Book to has a fantastic and surprising ending, the art continues to
Whit Mattson
A continuation of the awesomeness that is Akira (see book one review). There is an epic reveal and ending in this book, which leads to a twitching hunger for the next volume. We also get to see more of Kaneda and Kei, and how there is more than just the dumb kid behavior swirling around between them.
Jeff Lanter
My review of the first volume covers my feelings on the second volume pretty well. It is generally more of the same and if you liked what you saw in volume one then you're sure to like this as the plot finally develops a little more.
Michael Nash
Akira continues to hold up as a masterful piece of dystopic scifi despite its age. It makes up for the at times incoherent plot with tone and atmosphere, as well as stunning visuals. At little bit weirded out by the way this volume, a third of the way through the manga, makes it to the end of the Anime. I guess this is where the plot starts diverging wildly.
Taruia
I am quite getting into this. The relationship between Kei and Kaneda is interesting, but how will it develop? The most interesting part is of course, what is Akira, who are the 'special people' and how did they get their powers?
Derek Royal
The story never flags in this second installment. In fact, everything ramps up couple of notches...and this is especially the case given the fact that we finally meet the titular character. I'm very much enjoying this series.
Elijah Spector
Sep 08, 2014 Elijah Spector added it
Shelves: bpl, comics
This is just perfect comics. If the story and world weren't captivating (and they are) the art alone would still put Akira above most everything else.
Haley
The action scenes are hard to follow sometimes but still, a fan of how much more dense the storyline is than it was in the movie.
Ivan
If I could, I would rate this 4.5 stars!! hahaha Now the story is getting exciting and the art is beautiful and awe-inspiring! Definitely a good read..
Elizabeth Sinclair-Smith
Lots of action and explosions! I like! I can't wait to see what Akira is capable of, too.
Garrett Mccutcheon
A classic masterpiece story continues to unfold. Art is still the main attraction here in my opinion.
Jenni Hibdige
I spontaneously decided to read this since I had nothing else to do but wait at the library for my mum. Since it was a spontaneous read, I kind of had forgotten some parts in the previous volume *sigh*, but I quickly started to pick up to the familiar plot. It was good, clearly since I gave it four stars, but it felt like it was missing something the previous volume had. Regardless, I still very much enjoyed the story, the ending, and loved the way this manga was illustrated, there's a heck lot ...more
Sandra
Se lleva las cinco estrellas. Este manga tiene todo lo que me gusta, además de un dibujo brutal.
Andrew Wright
I'd seen the movie a dozen times and loved it, and yet, reading this, I got to love it even more. Akira the movie really only draws on volumes 1, 2 and 6 of the manga. The whole story is great, a lot richer. The artwork is incredibly good. Coincidentally, when I read this, I'd just finished For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Pilar's resistance fighters reminded me a lot of the whole characters and dynamics for the terrorist cell in Akira. Really good comic book.
Tina
Even better than the first volume. I was blown away by the exquisite artwork, captivating story, and wonderful translation. I read this in a matter of hours, and cannot wait to read the next volume. I've struggled with reading other manga in the past, because some of them are confusing and poorly translated, but not Akira. I would recommend it to anyone, whether you are a seasoned veteran or a newcomer to manga. Captivating and thrilling from start to finish.
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 004 (Pluto, #4)
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Tekkon Kinkreet: Black and White
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 2: The Gateless Barrier (Lone Wolf and Cub, #2)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 04: Angel of Victory
Katsuhiro Otomo (大友 克洋, Otomo Katsuhiro) is a Japanese manga artist, film director, and screenwriter. He is perhaps best known for being the creator of the manga Akira and its anime adaptation, which are extremely famous and influential. Otomo has also directed several live-action films, such as the recent 2006 feature film adaptation of the Mushishi manga.

Katsuhiro Otomo was born in the former to
More about Katsuhiro Otomo...

Akira: 6 Volumes (6 books)
  • Akira, Vol. 1 (Akira, #1)
  • Akira, Vol. 3 (Akira, #3)
  • Akira, Vol. 4 (Akira, #4)
  • Akira, Vol. 5 (Akira, #5)
  • Akira, Vol. 6 (Akira, #6)
Akira, Vol. 1 (Akira, #1) Akira, Vol. 3 (Akira, #3) Akira, Vol. 5 (Akira, #5) Akira, Vol. 4 (Akira, #4) Akira, Vol. 6 (Akira, #6)