Start by marking “Akira, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Akira, Vol. 2

Akira, Vol. 2 (Akira: 6 Volumes #2)

4.43  ·  Rating Details ·  6,066 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
IN THE 21ST CENTURY, Neo-Tokyo has risen from the ashes of a Tokyo obliterated by a monstrous psychokinetic power known only as Akira, a being who yet lives, secretly imprisoned in frozen stasis. Those who stand guard know that Akira's awakening is a terrifying inevitability. Tetsuo, an angry young man with immense—and rapidly growing—psychic abilities, may be their only h ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by Kodansha Comics (first published September 4th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Akira, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akira, Vol. 2

Jedi JC Daquis
Jan 09, 2017 Jedi JC Daquis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You just cannot put this book down. Akira's second volume is pure, non-stop action from start to end. I love how Katsuhiro Otomo brings in all the characters and play their part without making the reading experience overcrowded. Even without the film as a reference, this book is oozing with cinematic appeal.

Now I can really say that there's a huge difference between the manga and the movie. Again, both still follow the main plot points but the smaller details are very different. I can even go as
Eric
Mar 24, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(I read Akira in one huge go over a weekend, so I will be cutting and pasting this review for all 6 volumes)

Akira is an epic work of science fiction sequential art. The storyline is complex and consistent. There is social commentary, ethical musing, and morality woven through an action packed storyline of science gone wrong. The "romance" portion of the story is believable as well. The two characters are drawn to one another over time, and the world doesn't stop for them to wallow in their newfo
Javier Muñoz
Feb 23, 2017 Javier Muñoz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Acción desenfrenada en este segundo tomo de Akira en el que kaneda y Kay intentarán escapar del encierro al que les somete el coronel, mientras tanto Tetsuo averiguará el paradero del número 28, Akira, e intentará liberarle, empieza así una carrera contra el reloj para detenerle.
Hassan
Oct 30, 2016 Hassan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this wasn't as good as the first one, still way better than the movie, and the story takes A LOT of turns
Nate D
Otomo's twinned finesse for meticulous architecture and kinetic, gestural character drawings, are, of course, totally amazing. And the story continues to be involving, especially as it really starts to look ahead past the film version which the action here has already nearly caught up to. But, action-packed as this is, it's almost too action packed. Couldn't we pull back a bit and focus on the characters and ideas and side developments a little longer? Plus, the enjoyment of Kaneda as improbable ...more
Germancho
Nov 01, 2011 Germancho rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Oh boy oh boy things are moving really fast now! Sadly, I read the whole thing in an hour and a half. I guess a later, more calm re-reading will do me good. Also, it was interesting to see that some very memorable scenes from the film weren't based on the source material.
Rebecca McNutt
It's been a while since I've read a book in the Akira series, but it's still as much of a fantastic adventure as ever. Eerie, intense and deep, this book is a great addition to the series.
Otto
Jul 07, 2014 Otto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume's More focused, more splodey (HOW?!), and has more changes from the anime. So pretty much why I started going through these.
Gustavo
Feb 15, 2017 Gustavo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, manga, seinen
Sigue la acción con buen ritmo hasta un momento crucial en la trama que pensé que llegaría mucho después. La trama, aunque es un poco un cliché de la ciencia ficción, es muy interesante y bien llevada. Otome es un excelente narrador gráfico, con un estilo cinematográfico en el que necesita pocos diálogos ya que las acciones se "describen" gráficamente.
Frank Deschain
Feb 24, 2017 Frank Deschain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sitanan Ketkraipob
I wouldn't dare to give this series lower than 4 stars considering how much time and effort Otomo put into planning out all the architectural and landscape details. The story are still quite basic post apocalyptic sci-fi, but I guess this must be pretty new for the manga industry back in the 90s. I can see how many manga artists (including my beloved naoki urasawa) would be influenced by him.
Christopher
Jan 12, 2017 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Qisiera tener más dinero para comprar todos los tomos, pero hasta nuevo aviso me quedo aqupi por el momento porque los quiero leer en físico. Inigualable gráfica y guionísticamente. ...more
Ek Guevara
Jan 07, 2017 Ek Guevara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
เลมที 2 ยังคงดำเนินเรืองเรว ความสนุกไมลดลง และประเดนยังเขมขนไมตางจากเลมแรก ชอบตรงทีมันแทบจะเฉลยทุกอยางจากเลมแรกแตกยังทิงทายใหตามตอในเลม 3 ไดอยางนาสนใจ ...more
Kathy
Jan 01, 2017 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2017
Story jumpy, still not clear on who is who or what is what.... Maybe that is the point?
Keith
Sep 20, 2016 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I need to read the next four parts!
C
Nov 22, 2016 C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
akira is da shit man
Helmut
Feb 28, 2013 Helmut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, japan
Die Temperatur steigt...

... und mit dem Auftauen Akiras steigt auch die gefühlte Action in diesem Band im Vergleich zum Vorgänger. Sehr beeindruckend, wie hier die tausenden von Rohre, Stahlträger und Kabel, die Otomo in akribischer Weise gezeichnet hat, explodieren und zerschmettert werden. Der Detailgrad der Zeichnungen ist fantastisch - nur Vagabond ist da noch extremer.
Die Geschichte zieht aber auch vom Plotting her an - wusste man in Band 1 noch nicht mal, ob Akira ein Mensch, eine Maschine
Nicholas Karpuk
Feb 08, 2015 Nicholas Karpuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's often a sense, reading a work as long as this, that an artist's interest shift over time. What starts out with a fairly straightforward end game sometimes expands.

There's definitely a sense in the second volume that Otomo's vision had broadened. The biker gang drama damn near drops off the map, and most of this volume focuses on the project that studies the surviving members of the project that created Akira.

Kaneda, Kei, and Tetsuo are the only characters outside of that group who get m
Scott Lee
Feb 08, 2015 Scott Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal. I saw the anime years ago and was stunned by it, although I admit that I had a hard time following what was happening. I once heard Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York called a beautiful mess by one critic or another. Didn't apply in my opinion, it was just a mess. However, that Akira anime fit the definition of beautiful mess perfectly in my book. Stunning visual artistry and a story that was incredibly complex and appealing but told in such a way that I could only just grasp all of ...more
Séverine
On retrouve Kanéda et Kei pour ce deuxième tome de Akira, une histoire dont l'action s'intensifie à chaque pages. Nous avions laisser Tetsuo repartir avec le colonel pour servir de cobaye pour le mystérieux projet Akira. Au fil des pages, nous en apprendrons un peu plus sur ce projet, les informations étant distillées au compte-goutte.

L'action est omniprésente, l'histoire va prendre son envol et tout va aller très vite. Entre Tetsuo déterminé à découvrir qui est Akira, les scientifiques qui tent
Asher Riley
Mar 17, 2014 Asher Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
When compared to the magnificent original, "Akira: Book 2" is lacking, only slightly. But than again, it is pretty hard to follow up such an amazing original, and despite not being as memorable or as awe-inspiring as the first one was, "Akira: Book 2" is still an outstanding sequel that pays much homage to its predecessor, while still establishing new elements and plot that will play out in the next following entries of the series. All in all, this is an exhilarating, highly complex and beautifu ...more
Gav451
Aug 31, 2014 Gav451 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As this book gets going it moves away from what you would expect. The preconceptions based on the excellent but incomplete film are soon washed away as you realise that you have no idea where this tale is going to take you.

It is hard to see each book as an independent item as opposed tom part of a whole but that would mean I would have to just write one review and then repeat it 6 times, this would not do this epic tale justice. Book to has a fantastic and surprising ending, the art continues to
Faith Hicks
Feb 22, 2014 Faith Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-comics
Re-reading my 3 volumes of Akira. I hated the movie and it put me off the manga for years, but the manga is, in my opinion, so much better than the movie. It has time for comedy, for character moments, the plotline actually (kinda) makes sense, and Otomo's genius level draftsmanship is well on display. Such a great read. A classic for many, many reasons.

Otomo made this comic before he was 40 (he was about 28 when he began it in 1982). Probably to make everyone else feel bad about their accomplis
Krystle
A noticeably better read than the first volume.

Although I did raise an eyebrow at the page-long "The Story So Far." That sure made the first volume sound more multi-layered and intriguing than it had seemed to me.

Here, we actually get some characters speaking to each other in non-vague terms. It's becoming clearer what (if not who) Akira is, what the other children want with him and Tetsuo, and what's going on in the old city's dead zone.

Although the Resistance still feels like a terribly non-sp
Jenni Hibdige
I spontaneously decided to read this since I had nothing else to do but wait at the library for my mum. Since it was a spontaneous read, I kind of had forgotten some parts in the previous volume *sigh*, but I quickly started to pick up to the familiar plot. It was good, clearly since I gave it four stars, but it felt like it was missing something the previous volume had. Regardless, I still very much enjoyed the story, the ending, and loved the way this manga was illustrated, there's a heck lot ...more
David Basora
Dec 14, 2015 David Basora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here we go. I'll guess that after this book, we really dive into the heart of the story and the action. Tetsuo's abilities are truly incredible and just seem to keep growing without end. I really must watch the anime because the printed form is nearly cinematic all on it's own. I find myself caught by plot twists just as I would in a show, visually, in ways I would not in a prose format that demonstrate to me why this series is so highly praised. 4 more volumes to go!
Mike
Quick thoughts: The pace has evened out a bit and I liked this more than volume 1. Interesting stuff going on with both Tetsuo and Kaneda, and I like the way the various threads have been intersecting. We're to a significant event much sooner than I expected. In one sense this make me happy (as the first vol was too slow) and is very intriguing. In another I wonder if there's enough left to sustain my interest for another four 300+ page volumes. We'll see...
Peter
Jan 03, 2008 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who really liked the Matrix
Shelves: comics
Otomo's draftsmanship is amazing. His detail work on busy metropolitan scenes blows my mind. Vast crowds, intricate networks of streets and buildings, subtle attention to details and textures--the same things I would notice in the general ambiance of a real-life place.

Rereading the series as I recouperate from the flu. A bit depressing, but very enjoyable in controlled doses. A pop culture sci-fi masterwork of unmistakable genius.
Capri
Jul 13, 2011 Capri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread.

What I want to know is, how did Tetsuo turn into a mega douche so quickly?! One minute he was besties with Kaneda and the gang and the next he was heading up a rival gang and trying to kill his friends.

Of course it's the age old story of letting the power go to his head. And now this knuckle head has woken Akira. Shit's about to get surius now!!!

Like with Volume 1, I enjoyed this much more the second time around.
Cara Bishop
May 28, 2012 Cara Bishop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel is about a young man with strange powers, who wants to awaken the cause of the apocalypse, Akira, and control him. Meanwhile, his friend, and a bunch of rebels try to stop him before he causes another apocalypse with his uncontrollable powers. This book is one of the best I have read, keeping me on the edge of my seat the whole way through. This book is intended for sci-fi/futuristic lovers, or those who have read the first volume.
  • PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 005 (Pluto, #5)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 7 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #7)
  • Ghost in the Shell (Ghost in the Shell, #1)
  • 鉄コン筋クリート[Tekkon KinKurîto ] All in One (Tekkon Kinkreet Complete)
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 2: The Gateless Barrier (Lone Wolf and Cub, #2)
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
Katsuhiro Otomo (大友 克洋, Otomo Katsuhiro) is a Japanese manga artist, film director, and screenwriter. He is perhaps best known for being the creator of the manga Akira and its anime adaptation, which are extremely famous and influential. Otomo has also directed several live-action films, such as the recent 2006 feature film adaptation of the Mushishi manga.

Katsuhiro Otomo was born in the former to
More about Katsuhiro Otomo...

Akira: 6 Volumes (6 books)
  • Akira, Vol. 1