Start by marking “An Unbroken Agony: Haiti, from Revolution to the Kidnapping of a President” as Want to Read:
An Unbroken Agony: Haiti, from Revolution to the Kidnapping of a President

An Unbroken Agony: Haiti, from Revolution to the Kidnapping of a President

On February 29th, 2004 the democratically elected president of Haiti, Jean-Bertrand Aristide, was forced to leave his country. The twice elected President was kidnapped, along with his Haitian-American wife, American soldiers and flown, against his will, to the isolated Central African Republic. Although the American government has denied ousting Aristide it was clear that ...more
Published June 26th 2007 by Basic Civitas Books

To ask other readers questions about An Unbroken Agony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unbroken Agony

Shanta
Dec 16, 2007 Shanta rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the revolution of Haiti and how it relates to the African americans
I learned so much from this book and Randall Robinson. This book is an expose on the history of Haiti from the revolution to the present day. It outlines in great detail the American governments role in the illegal deployment of Aristed and and our role in corrupting the Hatian political system. Randall Robinson is an honest and factual writer and leaves no stone unturned. Every person of color in America should read An Unbroken Agony. It is an eye opening experience.
Kristina
Dec 27, 2014 Kristina rated it liked it
A trust-breaking account of the USA's role in ousting the first peasant-approved, democratically-elected president of Haiti (Aristide) and instigating/arming rebels to terrorize the Haitian countryside in the surrounding months. This event was portrayed very differently in the media at the time (2004), viewed more as a black vs black dispute in an unstable country.

" It would seem that little of consequence has changed in the way that they white world behaves towards our countries. It cannot be g
Ben
Apr 20, 2008 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The undoing of Haiti: author documents the great power's enmity against Aristide.(An Unbroken Agony: Haiti, From Revolution to the Kidnapping of a President )(Book review)
From: National Catholic Reporter | Date: 10/5/2007 | Author: Terrall, Ben
National Catholic Reporter

AN UNBROKEN AGONY: HAITI, FROM REVOLUTION TO THE KIDNAPPING OF A PRESIDENT By Randall Robinson Basic Civitas Books, 288 pages, $26

For all the justifiable vilification the Bush administration has received for invading Iraq and adva
Alexa Poeter
Apr 17, 2010 Alexa Poeter rated it really liked it
A play by play of the events leading up to the ousting of President Aristide and the events that followed, this book is extremely informative for those interested in a detailed account of the 2004 coup d'etat in Haiti.

Randall Robinson writes of the internal emotional anguish suffered during this time by the Aristides and those close to them, as well as the details of communication between concerned parties. He analyzes the role of US political officials and US media in implementing and covering
Michelle
Sep 28, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Robinson needed a better editor, but the story this book tells is one everyone should read. The US's role (along with France and Canada) in overthrowing the democratically-elected Aristide is disgusting and maddening. Totally undermines all of Bush's talk about supporting democracy and reminiscent of the US's involvement in Cuba pre-Castro (not to mention the rest of Latin America where this country has been so expert in destablizing countries and toppling popularly-elected governments for the b ...more
Elaine Nelson
This was not the book I was hoping for -- I think I was looking for more of an overview of Haitian history, and this was almost exclusively about the 2006 coup against Aristide. And unfortunately, I couldn't even get into that aspect. The narrative style is roundabout and discursive, cutting back and forth over time, which made it hard to get a good sense of what was happening when.

Additionally, there's only so much "Americans are racist thugs" that I can handle being lectured about. Not that h
SpaceBear
Feb 09, 2016 SpaceBear rated it did not like it
A disappointing and poor book, considering that it was the only book I could find on Haiti prior to going there. The book asserts that American policy is dominated solely by racism, that white people are unable to understand black mentality, and that Haiti's myriad of problems are part of some kind of conspiracy. Why believe in conspiracies when the truth is bad enough? Also; the title is misleading. The book only briefly discusses Haiti's history, and focusses mainly on the ouster of President ...more
David Clayton
Oct 24, 2013 David Clayton rated it liked it
This book jumps around an awful lot (an obvious attempt to create tension, which didn't really work for me), and repeats itself even more. The verbatim repetition of certain phrases had, by the end if the book, come to remind me of Alan Carr's easy way to give up smoking, and indeed I wondered if this was the application of some kind of cognitive therapy technique. This would be particularly apt given the doctrinal preconceptions that the author seeks to disabuse.

On balance, this is a passionate
Ferentz
Sep 20, 2007 Ferentz rated it liked it
a very quick read. i made my way through this in one day. the connections robinson draws between the conditions in haiti and us/european involvement are keeen, but he does not probe these with much depth. he is also resistant to critique the legacy actions of his friend Aristide and appears disconnected from the pulse of most haitians living in hati and the diaspora. he has a good handle on the extremists on both sides, but not those in the middle.
Dec 27, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This is the March selection for the bookclub at the Malcolm X Library (San Diego). I chose to read it because it offers an great history of haiti and an excellebnt first person account of the events around the kidnapping of president Aristide. January andf February selections are by Edwidge Danticat and since she is from haiti, I thought it would be nice to have some background.
Anne
May 05, 2010 Anne rated it liked it
Disturbing book...would like to read/hear another point of view. If what Robinson says is true, I don't understand why the US would orchestrate the ousting of a democratically elected president or why other countries were involved. There is just so much I don't understand about world politics!
Andalusia
Dec 24, 2007 Andalusia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanted to learn more about Haiti and the coup against Aristide
I learned how much the Western World hated Haiti once they gained their independence and how France tried to charge Haiti millions of dollars for their boats that were still docked their after they gained their freedom.
More to follow once I finish it.
Desiree
This is a very readable book about Haitian history and politics, but it is a little repetitive, and Robinson jumps back and forth between the two depositions of Aristide. He's trying to show the similarities, but it ends up sounding disjointed.
Theo Williams
Jan 15, 2008 Theo Williams rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: History buffs, global politics, african-caribbean-latin american interest.
Recommended to Theo by: Book signing
Personal account of American involvement in the kidnapping of Haitian President Aristide. Great behind the scenes and untold stories of how the president was abducted and finally released from detention in the Congo.
Matt
Dec 14, 2013 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
Brilliant. Read about the American crime that went unnoticed. Fantastically done. Beautifully written. Excellently researched and documented. And utterly gob-smacking. Another crime to add to Dubya's list.
Steph
Dec 12, 2010 Steph rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-up
Starts with a good review of Haitian history. Then becomes a collections of facts pointing to CIA/US involvement in Haitian coups. Would rather just read the story than a collection of facts. Interesting though.
William
Mar 21, 2008 William rated it it was amazing
My fellow college classmate, Randall Robinson, has written another informative and provacative account of America's influence to destabilze an island country and Haiti's determination to stand up for itself.
Tom Mulpagano
Jan 23, 2009 Tom Mulpagano rated it it was amazing
For anyone who believes blindly that America can do no wrong, read this compelling book about the many atrocities perpetrated against a country, by much of the "civilized" world.
Florence
Nov 06, 2008 Florence rated it it was amazing
Haiti is a land of tragedy but its people are inspiring for their endurance and strength.
Joy Elefson
Jan 06, 2013 Joy Elefson rated it really liked it
I read this after I had been to Haiti. The president's pilot is a national hero.
Ramoako
Aug 21, 2008 Ramoako is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This man is the truth...
Susan
Jul 02, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
Another perspective, fascinating, about Aristede and the role of the US in his fall from power
Keith Stokes
Keith Stokes rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
aNorthernSoul
aNorthernSoul marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Disabatrix
Disabatrix marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Tiffany Brown
Tiffany Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Nekquai
Nekquai marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Patrick Agemian
Patrick Agemian marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
  • Avengers of the New World: The Story of the Haitian Revolution
  • Why the Cocks Fight: Dominicans, Haitians, and the Struggle for Hispaniola
  • Voodoo in Haiti
  • After the Dance: A Walk Through Carnival in Jacmel, Haiti
  • Travesty in Haiti: A True Account of Christian Missions, Orphanages, Fraud, Food Aid and Drug Trafficking
  • Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti
  • The Magic Orange Tree and Other Haitian Folktales
  • Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie
  • The Balfour Declaration: The Origins of the Arab-Israeli Conflict
  • Love, Anger, Madness: A Haitian Trilogy
  • On That Day, Everybody Ate: One Woman's Story of Hope and Possibility in Haiti
  • Masters of the Dew (Caribbean Writers Series)
  • Secrets of Voodoo