Full Speed (Full #3)

Full Speed (Full #3)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  8,669 ratings  ·  168 reviews
Polo instructor Nicholas Kaharcheck senses danger the minute he sees Billie Pearce. She represents everything he's so artfully avoided. Happy in her home life, a divorced mother of two, Billie is the epitome of stability. They have nothing in common. To his horror, Nick is fascinated - and irresistibly attracted. When Billie generously offers to share her home with Nick's...more
Mass Market Paperback, 346 pages
Published 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Full Speed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Speed

Tiffunee
Newspaper editor Jamie Swift likes a little predictability in her life. When she suddenly finds herself minus a fiancé and with a major case of the hots for her silent partner, millionaire Maximillian Holt, any bit of predictability goes right out the window. Max is like a tornado, turning her well-ordered world upside down. Now someone’s unhappy with Max’s recent business deal—dangerously unhappy.

Posing as husband and wife, with computer genius Muffin and a mutt named Fleas along for the ride,...more
Carrie
So, I've decided that this series is similar to manga; each book is like a chapter and you end up reading them one after the other in order to get the whole story! It's been a fun story so far, what with the talking car, the inept mafia hit men, swear jars, vintage mustangs, and now the dog that doesn't like country music...
Kristine
This book is not nearly as funny as the Stephanie Plum series. The humorous sidekick (Dave) is just annoying and doesn't compare to Lula. Overall it was pretty flat.
Cindy
Enjoyed this next installment in the 'Full' series - the interplay between Jamie and Max makes this a lot of fun. I will certainly be on the lookout for the next one.
Pat
Feb 16, 2009 Pat rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pat by: no one
You have to read the whole "Full Series" - it's addictive
Kari Anderson
The Full Box is a four-book audio set. I previously listened to and reviewed Full House here on KariAnnAlysis. It was one of the first audio books I listened to. I’ll always turn to Janet Evanovich when I need a good, light read. That’s why I was thrilled when I found the rest of this series in a complete box.

Here’s a short synopsis of each book:

Full Tilt: Jamie Swift’s newspaper is running on fumes. If something doesn’t turn around soon, she will have to stop the presses. Her silent partner Max...more
Sandy
This book was WAY better than the last two installments. It actually managed to grab my attention and hold it until the end. I just started it yesterday so it's a quick read. I like how it's shaped more like a romantic suspense book than a mystery book. I'm kind of disappointed we don't get to revisit the other characters from the first book, Max's cousin Nick and his wife Billie. This book is fast-paced, there's lots of action, lots of deception and fun, memorable characters. I don't recommend...more
Ivonne Rovira
I enjoyed Full Tilt, although not as much as I do the books in Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. However, I knew it would be unfair to hold Max and Jamie to such a high standard. At any rate, I liked millionaire (or is it billionaire?) Max Holt and small-time newspaper publisher Jamie Swift enough to hurry and order the sequel, Full Speed.

I tried to like it. I really, really did. But Max's and Jamie's behavior becomes so outlandishly stupid and the Elmer Gantry-style preacher who figures...more
Courtnie
I waivered between 2 and 3 stars, so I'm going to say 2.5. Max and Jamie have enough chemistry and fun to keep reading the series, but I had my doubts until about half way through this book. There are moments of 'really good' and there are moments of 'totally lame'. I sort of wish that "Muffin", the "Kit" like computer-in-the-car-companion, would experience the blue screen of doom and have to be overhauled. She is probably the lame part of this book and I rarely find her humorous. Jamie and the...more
Julie
This is the third book in the "Full " series. Full Speed, written by Janet Evanovich and Charlotte Hughes, is a light romantic crime novel. Jamie and Max are on the outs with each other. Max is looking into a corrupt minister. Jamie wants a good story for her paper. So, they team up again to see what mob ties the minister has and where that leads them.
I would have enjoyed the book more if I hadn't felt like I was missing something by not having read the previous book. Most of the background is e...more
Darla Stokes
This is the 3rd in the light mystery series featuring reporter Jamie Swift and millionaire playboy Max Holt. IIRC (it's been a few years), it's based on a romance Janet Evanovich wrote back in her Loveswept days. Jamie and Max didn't, however, live happily ever after--they keep skirting around the issue, irritating each other, working together, and occasionally losing control and succumbing to a clinch or two.

This time, they're after a crooked evangelist who's mob-connected--the same mob that tr...more
Linda
This was on my 2009 TBR challenge. I picked up this book because I needed some light reading. I had just finished reading Snowflower And The Secret Fan and it profoundly touched me, yet left me feeling like nothing could quite live up to it. So I figured he Evanovitch novel would be fun. Afterall, she writes those wonderful Stephanie Plum novels.

Evanovitch actually co-authored this one (with Charlotte Hughes?). I almost stopped reading it because I was not comfortable with the topic of an evil p...more
Tara
This third book of the full series once again follows Jamie and Max. It starts hours after the last one ended and somehow the relationship of the two main characters has changed. Jamie starts drifting in to the TSTL lane on the plot device highway. I'm all for story women. Just not women with more more determination than brains. I mean I get that Jamie is a journalist at heart but really the story she was chasing wasn't interesting enough to prostitute herself out for. I mean I'm pretty sure Chr...more
Louise
I can't say this enough but....This lady can write!! This newer series of Jamie Swift and Max Holt is great!

From back cover:

"Jamie and Max have intense chemistry-even though they drive each other crazy. Max thinks Jamie is a magnet for trouble and Jamie thinks Max is the most annoyingly sexy, mysterious man she's ever met. She knows she should stay away from him. But boy, oh boy, do the sparks fly when they get together. Jamie is a newspaper owner from a small Southern town. And in FULL SPEED, s...more
Beth Smith
If you are a Janet Evanovich fan who listens to audiobooks, this series is hard to listen to after the Stephanie Plum books. The same woman reads them both. Jamie Swift and Stephanie have the same voice. Its too hard. I kept waiting for Ranger to show up. Bad choice on someone's part, IMHO. As for the story itself...its the wonderful fluff you expect from these books.
Brian Howard
I quit after 50 pages; poor writing and lame characters. I just picked up the 18th Plum novel and look forward to it. This putting your name on top in large print and giving the co-author small print has to stop, as it is obvious the co-author did most of the poor writing. Patterson is the biggest con in this regard, coming out with 2-3 novels a month. Yeah, right!
Judy Collins
Like Stephanie Plum series better - but always drama with Max and Jamie! Jamie and Max have intense chemistry-even though they drive each other crazy. Max thinks Jamie is a magnet for trouble and Jamie thinks Max is the most annoyingly sexy, mysterious man she's ever met. She knows she should stay away from him. But boy, oh boy, do the sparks fly when they get together. Jamie is a newspaper owner from a small southern town. And in Full Speed, she's after the story of a lifetime. Max Holt is righ...more
Cait
Really quick read. Very much like the first one where they hurl themselves into danger without much thought. However the banter is fun and the book is so fast paced that I didn't even realize how much I had read until I had to stop to go and do something. I finished this book in a day.
Mary
Definitely not world changing literature but it's the perfect "throwaway" read for the beach or while waiting for someone in surgery. No real brain power required but the characters are fairly well developed and there is continuity to the storylines.
Shelley Burkle
Enjoyable

I love everything Janet Evanovich writes.
This story was funny with romance wound in. I'm excited to read more about Jamie and Max in future books
Lindsay
I want to say this book was a 3.5 but it seemed to fall short of earning the 4th star. This was a cute novel that was engaging enough that I wanted to hang on to the end but at the same time, the nievity of the main character almost hurt me to the point where on a few incidents I just wanted to look away.

To this books creadit I might have enjoyed this novel more if I had started this series at the begining. I might have become more invested in the characters if I had spent more time with them.

Al...more
Deirdre
Jamie and Max have fallen out since the events of the last book, she got out of the car and the story opens with her trying to work her way towards the scoop of the year. Max's in-car computer Muffin is annoyed at him for leaving Jamie all alone.

Jamie is determined to investigate this, is determined to uncover the scandal and doesn't really see the danger she's in. Max can see the danger but can he respect her need to be the investigative journalist she is.

It's peppered with Janet Evanovich's tr...more
Michelle
Aug 13, 2014 Michelle marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Red
Blah. The first of Evanovich's non-Plum books that I really didn't like. This was a continuation of the story in Full Tilt, and it was forced in so many ways. The relationship "problems" between Max Holt & Jamie Swift were crudely and artificially obstructed. So many pointless disagreements and out of character "I'm not going to tell the other person this one thing" the result of which puts everyone in mortal danger. I didn't like the bickering, the lack of real story, the bad guy, the good...more
Jaime
Full Speed picks up almost exactly where Full Tilt leaves off, with Max and Jamie headed out of South Carolina and into Tennessee in search of the mysterious Reverend Harlan Rawlins. The Reverend appears to want Max dead, and he and Jamie want to know why. This book had all of the madcap zaniness you’ve come to expect from a book with “Evanovich” on the cover, but this one wasn’t as good as the past two. I felt like a lot of the heat was missing between Max and Jamie. Hopefully they’ll find it a...more
Carol
I enjoy all her books, but get tired of reading about her life in the beginning of each book, I know about it already.
Pat
With Charlotte Hughts.
Jamie and Max, crooked preacher, mafia, in South, crazy hound dog.
Max is very rich.
funny.
Evelyn Wilson
Ok, this is the one with Jamie, Max and FLEAS !!! Wait until you read how Jamie got Fleas, lololol
Melissa
Book #22 read in 2012

The book description on Goodreads is incorrect.

Here is the correct description:
Newspaper publisher Jamie Swift and millionaire playboy Max Holt pose as husband and wife to track down the story of a lifetime. They become involved with a corrupt minister, a gang of mobsters on the loose, a hound dog named Fleas, and a wise-cracking computer whiz.

This is a cute, albeit simple series. there are things so obvious to the reader early on in the book that take the characters FOREV...more
Marcie
In this book, the typically light-toned nature of Ms. Evanovich's writing style plays a big part in the charm. Unfortunately, the heroine is again a bit vapid at times, which is actually out of sync with her normal wit. Max & Jamie are a fun couple-that's-not-a-couple in a scheme to take down a mob family as only this pair can. I'm going to have to read some of Ms. Hughes' works to understand the parts of her writing that come to light in this series. Overall, it's a fun, light read with no...more
can't wait 1 12 Aug 17, 2009 03:20AM
Join in the discussions! 1 4 Apr 30, 2009 01:31PM
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Bubbles Ablaze (Bubbles Yablonsky, #3)
  • Grave Consequences (An Emma Fielding Mystery #2)
  • The Plot Thickens
  • Summer Lovin' (Costas Sisters, #2)
  • Married In Seattle (First Comes Marriage & Wanted: Perfect Partner)
  • Stand By Your Hitman (Bombay Assassins, #3)
  • Killer Riff (Molly Forrester Mystery, #4)
  • Hot Wheels and High Heels
  • Maggy's Child
  • Who Glares Wins (Lexi Graves Mystery, #2)
  • Gone With the Nerd (Nerds, #4)
  • Perfectly Plum: Unauthorized Essays On the Life, Loves And Other Disasters of Stephanie Plum, Trenton Bounty Hunter
  • Catch Me If You Can (Men of Rogues Hollow #3)
More about Janet Evanovich...
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)

“Jamie felt as though her heart would literally take flight from her crest. Damn her and her mouth. “Nick, I was sort of exaggerating about how nasty I was going to act of the plane. Why can’t we just leave Fleas with Max and get going?”
“She’s lying, Nick,” Max said. “You don’t do things her way and she turns into Satan’s daughter.”
4 likes