Song Of The Dragon (The Annals of Drakis, #1)

Song Of The Dragon (The Annals of Drakis #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  45 reviews
First in a brand-new fantasy saga by the co-creator of Dragonlance

Once humans had magic and an alliance with dragons. Now they and the other races have been enslaved by the Rhonas Empire-the elves-and can't even remember the world the way it used to be. But thanks to the intervention of one determined dwarf and the human slave warrior known as Drakis, all of that is abou...more
Published July 6th 2010 by DAW Hardcover (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Song Of The Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song Of The Dragon

Lydia Presley
I don't know about you, but when I hear the following words I get goosebumps and a fluttery feeling in my stomach: dragons, elves, chimera, manticore, gnomes, dwarves and magic.

... Okay, so maybe I get that because I'm just a nerd.

But I can't help it! I mean, I grew up on Fantasy - from as early as I can remember I was fed The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I dreamed about furry-footed little beings and fantastical scenarios! So when I see what looks to be a good fantasy - I jump on it!

Lately...more
Jenna
My reaction to this book was "meh."
Jess
This is the first book I’ve been able to read in MONTHS
MONTHS!
And man, what a treat. I’ve always been a big fan of Tracy, ever since my small grubby paws latched onto the Dragonlance original trilogy. This book was no slouch for sure, and Tracy definitely delivered everything that I look for.
I wasn’t able to race through this book (also part of the reason I haven’t read in MONTHS) but I did zip through it when I found time, mostly through denying sleep. Totally worth it, I can’t wait to catch t...more
Tom
I am a HUGE fan of Mr. Hickman but I must be honest that while the book is OK it is not one of my favorite. But, all story lines cannot appeal to all people. This is "jouney saga" therefore there tends to be a lot if "time" between action sequences. Plenty of time for discussion and introspection. The action sequences are intense but there is too much time between them. The charaters journey, learn something, then journey some more, attempting to reach their final destination(s). It becomes diff...more
Chaos012
I first got involved in reading Wies and Hickman’s work when I first read the Death Gate Cycle. Then I read Margaret Weis’s Dragonvrald trilogy and, I was disappointed. The plot had more holes than Swiss cheese and characters that were ether bland and forgettable or just plan unlikeable.
So when I first picked up song of the dragon by Tracy Hickman, I was at first a little worried. However, when I read the book I was very satisfied. The story is about Drakis a warrior-slave. After killing the las...more
Amber Argyle
Song of the Dragon is not a book you bust through in one setting. It's a book you read slowly, savoring the complex characters and myriad cultures. A book were world building and history are as important as plot and pacing.

In Hickman's world, the numerous races have lost their memories and their free will to the all powerful elves.

Lest you expect Tolkienesque, angelic elves, let me warn you, Hickman does a fantastic job of twisting the fantasy genre's preconceived elves on their heads. Here's...more
Scott Lee
A fun book over all. For all the books I've read with Hickman's name on the cover, this was the first solo novel of his that I've read. I have to admit that I enjoyed the others (Dragonlance, the Deathgate Cycle, The Sovereign Stone Trilogy, the Bronze Canticle) more for the most part. But then again, I'm comparing completed series to the first novel in a new series.

Hickman follows his well established pattern, vivid and deep world creation with thoroughly developed cultures. While he makes use...more
Seth
I picked this novel up because it was by one of my favorite authors. Certainly some of the twists that the plot presented were intriguing. Elves are evil? All other races enslaved? A human that is called by a song of dragons? Certainly it had the makings of something interesting.

Song of the Dragon starts out a bit slow. It opens in the midst of battle in a dwarven city. Things were confusing enough that it did drop my interest at times. A bit hard to fallow the geography and such. However it was...more
Bristol Public Library System
he Song of the Dragon, by Tracy Hickman, opens up with the final battle between a mighty elven empire and the last dwarven king. Drakis and his companions, all of them slave warriors of the elven empire, fight their way to the Ninth Throne and kill the last dwarven king. It is a great victory for them and it will bring honor to their elven master, Lord Timuran. Unfortunately things begin to go downhill for Drakis and his companions.

After the dwarves are defeated the elven warriors turn on one ot...more
Robbi
First book of Trilogy, plus I was in MAJOR plot transition angst. Too many books of yes the Sci-Fi genre but not the ilk of dragons and mind controlled slaves, warriors, dwarves and goblins, otherwordly creatures and crystal magic. I'd spend too many weeks among Shadowhunters, vampires and werewolves and the transition was proving to be slow. So the first 100 pages went sooooo laboriously. Plus lots of plot building and a vocabulary all its own. But then it clicked. Hyperion Woods, beacon rocks,...more
Trudy
I'm knocking this down from 4.5 to 3.5 stars because this author really isn't very good at writing expositions. The opening sequence went on and on and on...If it hadn't ended when it did, I would have put the book down. When a new character/plot line was introduced there were very boring explanations of what the history of this character and where he came from and why he is now a part of this story. I also knock it down becuase there were so many elements in the story that have been used before...more
Katie
Now this is real fantasy. Complicated, original, prophetic, magical. Although occasionally slow, the book has wonderful characters, a well thought-out world with political and magical systems, a variety of cultures and a deep, mystical history. Hickman's characters are also complicated enough to be interesting (although there could be some improvement in this area). Drakis himself is interesting. From a confident warrior leader he turns into a self-doubting, confused fugitive whose main goal is...more
Paks
The book includes elements of fantasy that defines the things I haven't read for many yeara. Elements such as elves, dwarves, manticores, fae, chimera and humans as well as dragons. This book was surprisingly enthralling and I had a hard time putting it down, even though it only took me five days to read it. A book that makes me want to read more even after putting it away, is q great book in my mind.
Christie
This story was a pretty refreshing one to read for me. It has action from beginning to end and even left me on the edge of my seat quite a few times. I recommend this book for anybody who loves fantasy. The only disappointing thing was it really did not have any dragons except for one tiny piece towards the end of the book, but it was still pretty good.
Randy Daugherty
5 Notes, 7 notes, the song keeps playing in his mind. Drakis human slave of the Elves the house of Timuran, trained warrior , must follow the song, learn the meaning behind the sirens call and find his own destiny, with the help of a dwarf, manticore, two humans and a Chimerian they break they spell that enthralls them and find freedom and Memories long surppress by the magic of the elves, could Drakis be the one foretold of in legends the one who would return from the North and restore the magi...more
Joby Walker
A pretty good start to a new series. At 400 easy pages it is a quick read, but quite enjoyable. There isn't a huge amount of depth nor are the mysteries very hard to puzzle out. The ending is also very rushed as if the author had to jettison 50-100 pages, but then the very end is mostly just a setup for the next book in the series. The setting is interesting (particularly since the elves are the bad guys) though it seems like a new shirt -- stiff and obvious with out the character and detail of...more
Renée Korver-Michan
Loved it, although it is a bit harsh at times (didn't bother me). The concept of a whole people being enslaved through magic, where worship is used to renew the bonds of slavery.... best not read too much into that and stick to enjoying the story of Drakis.
Nick
This is a captivating fantasy adventure with an explosive start and a decent finish. While the author skips to and fro in his enormous fantasy world, glossing over seemingly interesting potential adventures from time to time, the ones he includes are generally impressive. This is a world where the last of the Dwarven kingdom is falling, and where the effete, magical elves of the standard fantasy character pantheon, have taken over. Characters are fairly well developed, although I've yet to reall...more
Brian Hagedorn
Not as interesting as some of his other books. Some of the characters are annoyingly bland or obnoxiously generic, which hindered various parts of the book. There's also some forcing of the plot, especially pushing the character Drakis northward. Minor annoyances or me just being rather picky, it still affects the overall story.
Peter Hilton
This was my first try at Tracy Hickman, and I liked it. The concepts were clever and the world was extremely well built. I really enjoyed how masterfully we were inserted into the world and led through its epic scope, learning about this amazing place while watching our anti-hero go off to be heroic. And speaking of that--the hero was enjoyable, and the other characters were as well. The viewpoint characters had just enough depth (we're not talking Cormac McCarthy depth, here, more like not bein...more
Bounta
Tracy Hickman is a new author for my reading adventures and I'm glad the book I was looking for want at the library and I found, "Song of the Dragon." The fantasy genre can get old and has far too many copycats who fill there pages with long meaningless "adventures." Mrs Hickman creates a world and characters worth reading and gives life to tired races that are so often one sided and predictable. I'm not saying this is a masterpiece; for there are some over the top sequences and some really slow...more
Rochelle
An interesting and unique fantasy novel about the uprising of the enslaved Human, Manticore an Chimerian races against their cruel Elven masters due to a prophecy of the legend of one named Drakis. The place names and titles can be a little confusing, and a little more character development would be welcome but this is a really well constructed fantasy novel with interesting forms of magic. I have high hopes for the second book as this one ends on an excellent cliffhanger.
T.
It started out with a difficult beginning with Octions and stuff that I didn't understand at first but as I read on I got the idea that it was a military. The book quickly picked up its pace and when I finished it, I was left wanting to read more. I quickly set out to get the next book in the trilogy. I borrowed the first book from my local library and purchased the last two because it was such a good read with a strong plot and lots of emotional excitement.
Morgan
Very interesting new series by Hickman. It takes the traditional prophecy concept and twists it-- the humans being oppressed by the elves name many children "Drakis", the name of the prophesied hero, and one in twelve hear the song of prophecy, etc.

And in trying to prove he's not the hero people want him to be, Drakis starts proving that maybe he actually is. The book ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, and I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Ben
Very different spin on the standard races. Once I got through the gaps in my expectations and Hickman's characteristics I found the plot line intriguing. Nothing is as it seems and the surprises are generally refreshing. Cast of characters is fairly large keeps it a bit of a challenge to keep track but still well written and kept my interest throughout. On to book two!
Carman
This book was a little boring in places. I did make it through to the end. About mid book, it started to pick up. The plot was good but I was getting tired of the whining woman Mala...:). I will think about reading the second book, but will not go out of my way to find/buy it. If I see it or my daughter buys then yes, I will probably read it.
Erik Weingardt
Decent writer, but not my favorite storyline. Some of his other books had better plot lines. An excessive amount of strange titles, and weird names to remember. It did get better as the book continued. I might read the second book, but will have to read the back cover to decide. Book two releases in July 2011.
Kurt Vosper
Humans and most other fantasy races all under the yoke of evil ELVEN overlords, who rule with magic and armies of conquered subjects. Drakis ends up being the one of the prophecies that will lead them to freedom. I thought this series had some great role reversals and neat twists. Read it.
Noelle Campbell
This all starts out pretty slow, and honestly, if the name Tracy Hickman wasn't on it, I wouldn't have kept going, but the story gets better and deeper and by the middle of the book I was hooked. There are no characters to despise but one, and I wish she would die already.
Ryan Bostwick
Sticks with the quality those who've read Hickman's previous work might expect. Good visuals, plot, characters.. My only criticism was that it was a slow starter and hard to get into for the first 50 pages... Well worth it in the end though. I'll be picking up the sequel soon.
  • Rage of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras #3)
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm
  • Dark Lord (Falconfar Saga, #1)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • Tears of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #2)
  • Greatshadow (Dragon Apocalypse, #1)
  • Lord of Snow and Shadows (Tears of Artamon, #1)
  • Royal Exile (Valisar, #1)
  • Sanctuary (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #1)
  • Merlin's Dragon (Merlin's Dragon, #1)
  • The River Kings' Road (Ithelas, #1)
NYT Best-selling fantasy authors Tracy Hickman, with his wife Laura, began their journey across the 'Sea of Possibilities' as the creators of 'Dragonlance' and their voyage continues into new areas with the 'Drakis' trilogy, 'Wayne of Gotham', a Batman novel for DC Comics and his 'Dragon's Bard' collector's series . Tracy has over fifty books currently in print in most languages around the world....more
More about Tracy Hickman...
Dragonlance Adventures Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3) Wayne of Gotham Mystic Warrior (The Bronze Canticles, #1) Dragonlance Campaign Setting Companion: Legends Of The Twins (Dragonlance)