Start by marking “How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #6)

How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams (Ellie Haskell Mystery #6)

Ellie Haskell once again is on the trail of a killer in Chitterton Fells. Librarian Miss Bunch is found dead among the library stacks. Male romance novel cover model Karisma comes to town for a fund-raiser in her name, but one of his entourage is poisoned.
Published October 1st 1996 by Bantam (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
479th out of 1,456 books — 1,509 voters
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithThe Black Echo by Michael ConnellyThe Pelican Brief by John GrishamMurder With Peacocks by Donna AndrewsThe Alienist by Caleb Carr
Best Mysteries from the 1990s
74th out of 229 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

George
Apr 16, 2008 George rated it liked it
Another in the Ellie Haskell of Chitterton Falls, a small English coastal town, mystery. This one deals with the 100th anniversary of the death of a townsman who cursed the town's library because of readers of romantic novels. Romantic novels serve as the basis of the plot as Ellie and other townswomen are avid readers with resulting romantic fantasies. Things are brought to a head when the male model (closely resembling Fabio) for romantic novel covers comes to town setting all female hearts af ...more
C-shaw
Nov 09, 2015 C-shaw rated it liked it
A library book with same characters as _The Thin Woman_.
* * * * *
Entertaining, if a little silly at times, with some story lines and people that trailed off with no resolution or apparent raison d'etre. I hated the way the main character let others run over her and the way she ignored her long-suffering husband; however, in general she was likeable, as was this light mystery.

Dorothy Cannell has a lovely style of writing, and I copied many quotations for my common book: "Rumour had it that she [M
Kay
May 29, 2016 Kay rated it it was amazing
This was the greatest fun to read! I laughed out loud over and over, the turns of phrase are from a master, the plot is a delicious fantasy, and the characters are so individual I could drop into Chitterton Fells and greet each one by name. Satirical take on the romance genre, but a meta-fiction, for it is a romance itself and features romance novel lovers (yes, in both meanings of the word). The unexpected pops up several times, adding to the fun. So glad this was presented at book group and I ...more
Mary
Sep 15, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Title is the reason I picked up this book. Giselle "Ellie" Haskell lives in a castle called Merlin's Court with her husband and twin boy and girl Tam and Abbey. She is on the Library League and before a meeting she and the "Brigadier" find the librarian (who ruled the library with an iron fist) dead in the stacks. She died from a virus that attacked her heart. Ellie and the other members of the league decide that they need to raise money for a statue to honor their librarian. It is suggested tha ...more
Pat
Oct 12, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, humor
A Fabio-type does a library fund raiser.
Ties in well with the matchmaker of The Thin Woman days.
Good, amusing.
Meg Hadley Trager
Aug 23, 2014 Meg Hadley Trager rated it it was amazing
Fun characters and relationships, well crafted mysteries and always entertaining. Love this series.
Celeste Arms
not to great unless you like Harlaquin romances
Dogsandbooks
Aug 18, 2016 Dogsandbooks rated it liked it
More humor than mystery. Fun. DPL book
Dawn Kadyszewski
series #6
Anne Hawn Smith
Jun 18, 2009 Anne Hawn Smith rated it really liked it
Another book in the series Ellie Haskell series. This one has a little more plot than the last few, but still not as good as the first. But then, in these books, it isn't really the crime that is most important. It's just fun settling in with an odd bunch of characters, especially Ellie and her housekeeper.

Ellie stumbles upon a body in the library and the romance readers of the town are under suspicion. As usual, Ellie stumbles into the solution as she takes us up and down with her.

Humbledaisy
Nov 08, 2012 Humbledaisy rated it it was ok
Not my favorite Ellie Haskell mystery - possibly because it was written in the style of a hackneyed romance novel - but I still love the characters. I read this years ago when it was first released. Right now, I am re-working my way through the Kindle versions from my library.
Carroll
Oct 25, 2013 Carroll rated it really liked it
Shelves: fpl-book-club
"When Ellie Haskell arrives at the Chitteron Fells Library meeting, she discovers the librarian's corpse sprawled next to an open copy of "The Dream Lover" and must unmask the killer before she meets her own untimely and unromantic fate."
Clare
Jun 27, 2012 Clare rated it it was ok
This book took a while to hook me and even then I didn't have much difficulty putting it down. It did include a couple clever plot twists, which I enjoyed, but overall I would not really recommend it.
Kathie
Dec 06, 2014 Kathie rated it really liked it
Pretty good reading. I am getting to know the characters so it is easier to keep the storyline going in my head. This mystery was believeable with a little ghostliness thrown in.
Katie Powell
Oct 06, 2011 Katie Powell rated it really liked it
I love the Ellie Haskell books - None of them are as fun as the first in the series, The Thin Woman, but they all are quick, snappy reads. Highly recommend the series.
Odetta
May 28, 2011 Odetta rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Odetta by: Talking Books
The reader had a British accent & I couldn't understand what was being said, like "the back seat of a Rover …" what's a Rover?
Jul 15, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I can't even remember why I stalled out reading the Ellie Haskell series. They are so entertaining and funny.
G
Jul 01, 2008 G rated it liked it
I just LOVE her sense of humore and non stop chatter. Almost Gilmore Girl-esque. But in a British way.
Nancy Anderson
Dec 22, 2013 Nancy Anderson rated it did not like it
Not my cup of tea
Kathy
Oct 10, 2008 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This is a great, light-hearted, funny mystery series!
Kathleen
Sep 24, 2012 Kathleen rated it did not like it
couldn't get into it and didn't finish it.
Kay
Jul 15, 2013 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
Funny, funny, funny, loved it.
S.E. Gilchrist
Jan 10, 2014 S.E. Gilchrist rated it really liked it
I love all Dorothy Cannell books.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
Fabio clone gets busted
Marilyn K
Marilyn K is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Carole
Carole rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Bgpriley
Bgpriley marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Phyllis Wright
Phyllis Wright marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Pamela Shropshire
Pamela Shropshire marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
  • Scandal in Fair Haven (Henrie O, #2)
  • Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters, #6)
  • Murder Can Upset Your Mother (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #8)
  • Maggody in Manhattan (Arly Hanks, #6)
  • Biggie and the Poisoned Politician (Biggie Weatherford, #1)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Getting Old is Criminal (Gladdy Gold, #3)
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)
  • Cankered Roots (Alex and Briggie #1)
  • Vi Agra Falls (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #24)
  • False Premises (Domestic Bliss Mystery #2)
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2)
(from Fantastic Fiction online)

Dorothy Cannell was born in London, England, and now lives in Belfast, Maine. Dorothy Cannell writes mysteries featuring Ellie Haskell, interior decorator and Ben Haskell, writer and chef, and Hyacinth and Primrose Tramwell, a pair of dotty sisters and owners of the Flowers Detection Agency.

(from Internet Book List)

Dorothy Cannell, a mother of four, grandmother of te
More about Dorothy Cannell...

Ellie Haskell Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #1)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • Mum's the Word (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)
  • Femmes Fatal (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #4)
  • How to Murder Your Mother-In-Law (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #5)
  • The Spring Cleaning Murders (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #7)
  • The Trouble with Harriet (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #8)
  • Bridesmaids Revisited (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #9)
  • The Importance of Being Ernestine (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #10)
  • Withering Heights (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #11)