Start by marking “We Are Still Married: Stories & Letters” as Want to Read:
We Are Still Married: Stories & Letters

We Are Still Married: Stories & Letters

Tales of love lost and found, satiric comments on society and the media, and letters on marriage and fatherhood--Garrison Keillor reflects on the world around him with wit, warmth, and wonder.
Published March 15th 1989 by Viking Books

To ask other readers questions about We Are Still Married, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are Still Married

Jan-Maat
I borrowed this collection of short stories and poems and thought it was quite funny. I particularly enjoyed the Finn who wouldn't have a sauna and the hapless writer of bad cowboy stories who spent his days down at the library watching people read books written by his rivals.

So I got a copy for my Mum. After some time I asked her if she liked it and found it funny. No, she said and started to tell me about one story, but as she did so she started to laugh. So she started to tell me about anothe
Barbara Rice
Jun 03, 2009 Barbara Rice rated it liked it
Much of Keillor's work is simple and brilliant and easily identified with by any ordinary person who isn't struggling to be hip. But occasionally GK writes a real clunker, some story that goes on and on and on until you want to take a hatchet - or a book of matches - and put it out of its misery. Those pieces almost always involve a struggling artiste who is misunderstood, which makes me think it's just GK blowing off steam. Still, some editor should have said, "Nuh-uh. This one isn't going in t ...more
Steve
May 09, 2017 Steve rated it it was ok
Disappointing. Not a typical Keillor piece. I think it was a thrown-together mish-mash of leftovers designed to make a few buck. Glad I read it, but wouldn't read it again.
Becca
Apr 24, 2008 Becca rated it it was ok
This book was really a mixed bag. On the one hand, Keillor can be a really fantastic writer. I've heard him called "American Magical Realism" and definatly liked that way of looking at him. He has a knack for capturing beautiful moments, for making a story absurd but not too much, and for his famous humor. On the other hand, I was very sick of hearing about Lutherans and small american towns and his life in general. It just got to be too much. Also, it felt like a book that was thrown together f ...more
Pam
Apr 08, 2012 Pam rated it it was amazing
Okay I had to laugh out loud many times while reading this. Keillor has an incredibly deft touch at writing humor. For some reason, maybe living in Montana for twelve years, which, like Lake Wobegan, has Lutherans, Norwegian bachelor farmers, a very developed music scene in the schools, fierce snowstorms most years, and used to have people who ate breakfast regularly in town at the Western Cafe--I have acquired a Midwestern sense of humor. I actually laughed uncontrollably while reading a "The Y ...more
David
Dec 19, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book grew on me, and as I read more and became more receptive to the author's style of writing, I enjoyed it more. Garrison Keillor looks at life somewhat askance, and from a viewpoint slightly removed from the modern prevailing cultural ethos. Quirky is the word that most readily comes to mind when describing the short pieces presented in this book.
Tristy
Sep 24, 2014 Tristy rated it it was ok
Shelves: scavenged
I'm a real fan of Garrison Keillor and his writing and improv but what I think must have been hilarious in 1982 (when it was published) just did not hold up well in the here and now. In fact, the funniest piece to me was Garrison Keillor complaining about how old he is - at 43! I wonder how he feels now.
Elizabeth
Apr 28, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Read this aloud to each other in early days of marriage. Very touching and funny.

"Meeting Famous People" is a must-read.

"You're Book Saved My Life, Mister" is great read-aloud.

And a tender story about a husband/father who reflects on his own father's passing and what he did and didn't do to help him parent.
Brett
Aug 22, 2011 Brett rated it it was amazing
I may as well just cut and paste my reviews for other Garrison Keillor's books into this space, since I feel the same about all of his work I've read. I find it very enjoyable, but as a native of the type of towns that Keillor describes, it is hard for me to be objective. I have the same nostolgia that Keillor has.

Gentle humor, solid writing, compassion and humanity. I love Keillor.
Catherine
Nov 02, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays
I'm a big Garrison Keillor fan. I could almost hear him reading these essays aloud. Most of the humor is pretty timeless, but the odd joke is that he is NOT, in fact, still married to the woman he was with at the time this was published.
Kati
Dec 01, 2008 Kati rated it it was ok
I do not know what I was expecting but not this. I just did not enjoy this book that much... and I love GK. Well, I didn't even get a quarter of the way through. I just gave up. I don't have enough time to read semi-crap books.
Aug 05, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Got this as a first anniversary gift from my husband, perfect for reading to your loved one. I really enjoyed the following essays: "Front Porch," something about band instruments, and the stories about road trips.
TrudyAn
As one would expect, this short story collection is full of trademark Keillor humour. A few of the stories are very funny, but an entire collection of the same type of humour over and over becomes tiresome.
Butterfly
Sep 03, 2011 Butterfly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This collection of stories was a bit hit and miss, but contains some real gems: 'How to write a letter', 'Three Marriages' and 'Meeting famous people' stood out for me. I generally enjoyed the autobiographical stuff (In the Letters section) more than the fiction.
Mary
Jun 22, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
A collection of short stories, essays, poems, observations, and reflections as only the unique talent of Garrison Keillor could imagine. Not much involving the characters from Lake Wobegon.
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: fiction
None
Laurie
Dec 02, 2008 Laurie rated it liked it
It's a funny collection of short pieces by a master storyteller and the host of "A Prairie Home Companion."
Ann Hein
Sep 04, 2015 Ann Hein rated it really liked it
Even though it was written 30 yeas ago, there's still some great stuff here. A great midwest writer.
Kevin Gallan
7/330
julie
Jun 09, 2010 julie rated it really liked it
So far, it's just good light reading at bedtime. Great book. Keillor's humor came through in the best way. I also loved that you could pick it up any time and go from wherever you left off.
Kate
Jan 06, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
Another great American humorist. Gentle, kindly, self-deprecating, but with a genuine affection for and appreciation of regular folk
Lp
Aug 09, 2007 Lp rated it really liked it
My dad gave this to me as a joke wedding present (I was marrying into a Scandinavian family), but I ended up really liking the book and the author.
Josh
Apr 02, 2007 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keillor's rambling storytelling makes this a nice read over time.
Jeanne
Jun 14, 2014 Jeanne rated it liked it
a good collection of stories and articles mostly from the new Yorker.
Lera
Not as much fun as I would have liked. Often a bit dull, frankly.
Amy
Mar 30, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookcrossing
I enjoy A Prarie Home Companion, and find that as I read, I heard Garrison Keillor's voice in my head. But I think all in all, I prefer the radio show....
Dennis
Mar 04, 2008 Dennis rated it liked it
As in any collection, there are bound to be things you like and things you don't, as well as things which are just dated (such as the essays), but most of this is timeless and a good read.
Susan
Feb 22, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
There are many books by Garrison Keilor. Again, I have read them all. They are so funny.
Amy
Dec 19, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's ok. I can hear his voice in my mind, but it's not as good as listening to Prairie Home Companion on the radio.
Virginia
Jan 01, 2011 Virginia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2005books
This book was great - a collection of previously published short stories and columns by Garrison Keillor, it was light and funny and I got through it very quickly.
  • Collected Stories
  • The Thurber Carnival
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer Summary & Study Guide
  • Nobody's Perfect: Writings from The New Yorker
  • Lord and Lady Bunny--Almost Royalty! (The Bunny's #2)
  • Sweet Land Stories
  • Collected Stories
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2009
  • With Nails: The Film Diaries of Richard E. Grant
  • Ghosts and Grisly Things
  • The Looney
  • The Best of James Herriot: The Favorite Stories of One of the Most Beloved Writers of Our Time
  • Dead Boys: Stories
  • String Too Short to Be Saved: Recollections of Summers on a New England Farm
  • Born Free
  • Confessions Of A Bad Mother
  • Peter Jackson: A Film-Maker's Journey
  • The Dynamics of Creation
2014
Garrison Keillor (born Gary Edward Keillor on August 7, 1942 in Anoka, Minnesota) is an American author, storyteller, humorist, columnist, musician, satirist, and radio personality. He is known as host of the Minnesota Public Radio show "A Prairie Home Companion".

Keillor was born in Anoka, Minnesota, the son of Grace Ruth (née Denham) and John Philip Keillor, who was a carpenter and postal worker.
More about Garrison Keillor...

“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people.” 52 likes