Start by marking “A Good Day to Die” as Want to Read:
A Good Day to Die

A Good Day to Die

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  715 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Their plans were conceived in a drunken excitement and resulted in more horror than any of them could have imagined.There was the poet able to retreat into beatific reveries of superb fishing in cold, fast streams; the Vietnam vet consumed by uppers, downers and violence; and the girl who loved only one of them -- at first.With their ideals ostensibly in order, they set ou ...more
Published July 15th 1981 by Delta (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about A Good Day to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Day to Die

Laroy Viviane
Road movie au ton d'abord acide mettant en scène un vétéran du Vietnam qui a ce rêve fou de faire exploser un barrage du Grand Canyon. D'abord sombre, le récit met en scène l'alcool, la drogue, le sexe qui se mêlent ensuite aux désirs et souvenirs d'une autre vie. Pour se terminer dans une scène grand-guignolesque de vaches éclatées, de barrage fendu et de mort d'un membre de la fine équipe. Tout cela à un rythme sans concession.
Cormac Zoso
This in my humble opinion is Harrison's best novel. A very well crafted and taut tale of ecological terrorism that is pretty much justified frankly.

For those not familiar with Harrison, he is the Michigan Ernest Hemingway -- an outdoors-man, more of a fisherman than hunter, heavy eater (fish caught is prepared in drool-inducing prose explanations), heavy drinker (and in his personal life the alcohol abuse was combined with a cocaine addiction which, last I heard, was still under control ... tho
Paul
Nov 23, 2011 Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Pretty good. Beatific. It took me a bit to get into this, as it's somewhat different from Harrison's later/recent stuff. Short, choppy sentences, and often sentence frags. Which bothered me at first. But once I'd spent some time with it, I was good to go. The beginning/early middle of the book is probably, I felt, best read with a one-beer or postcoital buzz going, though if I read it again I might not think so. Just to get you in that zen state of not caring too much about this and that, and ju ...more
John Herceg
Any day is a Good Day To Read Harrison's...
A Good Day To Die.

Jim Harrison
A Good Day To Die
Dell Publishing Group, Inc. New York, NY 1973

Jim Harrison evokes emotion with the least words possible. A minimalist in the style of Hemingway, “A Good Day To Die,” is a shining example of the Iceberg Theory. Combining the Prologue, Epilogue, and all seventeen chapters, the novel is a fast paced one hundred and seventy-six pages in entirety. However, a single reading of this book provides a unique catharti
Syringa Smyrna
Al
Looks like early Jim Harrison to me; in this one he's still finding his voice. A classic stoners-on-the-road novella; a spaced-out picaresque with heavy doses of largely unfulfilled sexual dreams on the part of the narrator. If you like this type of book, it's not bad, although others are better (try Cormac McCarthey, Denis Johnson, Robert Stone, etc.). Sure, there's a bit about fishing scattered throughout, but don't read it for that reason.
Accepting the motivations of the characters, and eve
Tom Newth
i only read this because it was a gift - i had not cared for Farmer at all. but i liked this rather better - he is a decent writer, sort of of the basic standard one wishes every writer could at least meet. the title rings portentous/pretentious in the context, it's hard to care about any of the three characters, and the woman is ill-defined, but it was a pretty good read, and the final chapter is very good (final paragraph less so)
Steve Woods
A surreal out of control road trip, two drunks and a girl! A book about pointless obsession and how shit happens when you are so far gone that realty is lost in a drunken drugged blur. Time passes like a stream of molasses and it simply carries you. There is no way out as everything just unfolds seemingly of its own vlition.

Tim one of the drunks is a veteran ho has been badly scarred in Vietnam. He is completely disconnected and on the railroad to hell with a single minded purpose. It seems he i
Joe Pags
Somewhere in between Wolves, which I recently found very difficult to read, and Returning to Earth, which was splendid. Written in the early '70's, we begin to see some of the fantastic voice that marks Harrison's later efforts, and certainly the characters, but I found some of the storyline and character interaction slightly redundant, or perhaps I've missed the point. Main character aches with longing for Sylvia, despite knowing what's best for him, and this is an emotion that hammers back aga ...more
Dave
Jul 31, 2014 Dave marked it as chose-not-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
Not my scene. Written in choppy sentences, many of them incomplete. Topic is constant drug and alcohol-infused asshattery, with an emphasis on misogyny. Love much of Harrison's work, but I can certainly live without finishing this one.
Brian
The canyon between our self image or that we desire to be, and who we actually are, is dug wider and deeper by our actions, especially when we free float aimlessly
Brett
An interesting read. Not much plot. Just following some interesting characters on their road trip.
Jon
A Good Day to Die is a good read. Never a dull moment. Moves along at a quick pace. It kind of reminded me of the movie Blacktop Highway, but with drugs and sex thrown in and no car racing. This book was my introduction to Jim Harrison. I wanted to read an early work before getting into his later, more developed novels. Moral of the story: don't go blowing up any dam. A Good Day fishing is better than A Good Day Dieing.
Cody VC
Finished it because it has some very nice prose. Protagonist is an asshole (which would be fine for some other readers but) and overall it's pretty much your standard macho heterosexual jerk-off book. The one female character is even more one-dimensional than the two main male characters, etc., not a very rewarding read and wouldn't recommend it to others.
Maria
I would not recommend this book about 3 degenerates. The meaning intrigued me. The title comes from the Nez Perce tribe which means that if you have lived a good life, then it is a good day to die. But the three characters of the book had no goals in life, boozed and drugged themselves up, and their main goal was to blow up a dam.
Frank
I think I may have read this before...or perhaps just an excerpt. The first chapter is damn strong though, so I'm going with it...

Maybe just started it once before. Excellently written, and a nice tale of finding a focus, futile and destructive as that may be, to help get you through a few more days.
Mike
A good one. Harrison is a talented writer but I either like his work or don't. Here's another one with a main character who os sexually obsessed. I think Harrison must be too. The end of this one leaves me wanting to know what becomes of them, which is a good thing for a writer to do.
Mark
Poetry novel of a drug dream; beautiful, raw, honest, smarmy, disturbing, funny, and another typical, stylish harrison novel. His asides, parentheticals, meanderings, and digressions are really what it's always all about in Harrisons works. Not for everyone for that reason.
Griggette
Hunter S. Thompson meets Hemingway, two authors I really don't care for, but when brought together in Harrison's drug tripper-meets-fisherman voice really "does it" for me. This book can be read in a day, for those with ADD, bedsores, or little tolerance of "literary pursuits."
Matt
A drunken, hopeless piece of confused depression. Denis Johnson would attain a similar atmosphere years later during some of the bleaker moments in Jesus' Son. An excellent book all around.
MattA
I agree with one other reviewer who opined that Harrison was still "finding his voice" with this one. Read it if you are a Harrison completist, but it's not the place to start with Harrison.
David
Author cam highly recommended. It was okay. I'm just not much of a fiction reader. At least it was short and that helped with my compulsion to finish every book I start.
George
typical harrison, full of drugs and destructive behavior............hard to identify with these characters, but I did enjoy the glimpses of the places they went!
Ryan
My first Jim Harrison book. I was "hooked" from the opening chapter: as I can be a sucker for anything well written and having to do with fly fishing.
Anthony
Made me want to blow up dams. I don't remember a whole hell of a lot from it, but I remember that.

Overall opinion: Read it. It's short.
Geraud
Un bon road book.
je me rapelle plus du tout de l'histoire mais je me rapelle qu'il m'ai plus dans l'ensemble....donc trois étoiles mais pas plus.
Patrick
The story follows the narrator's path to self-recognition by steadily increasing tension until the unavoidable, and almost unbearable, finale.
Octabis
I've read all book until the end, didn't wanted to stop my reading to see if something interesting would happen... but nothing comes !
Tom Leonard
Jim Harrison to me is a true wordsmith. Concise meaningful sentences and stories that have meat on the bones.
Erin
Jim Harrison in the seventies. Like all his books, partially autobiographical. I like him older and wiser.
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Bushwhacked Piano
  • The Ultimate Good Luck
  • Americana: Dispatches from the New Frontier
  • Fortunate Son: The Healing of a Vietnam Vet
  • Acceptable Loss: An Infantry Soldier's Perspective
  • The Poker Bride: The First Chinese in the Wild West
  • Fencing the Sky: A Novel
  • War and the Soul: Healing Our Nation's Veterans from Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Once a Warrior--Always a Warrior: Navigating the Transition from Combat to Home--Including Combat Stress, PTSD, and mTBI
  • Horatio's Drive: America's First Road Trip
  • Cassidy
  • Winter Morning Walks: 100 Postcards to Jim Harrison
  • Gloryland: A Novel
Jim Harrison was born in Grayling, Michigan, to Winfield Sprague Harrison, a county agricultural agent, and Norma Olivia (Wahlgren) Harrison, both avid readers. He married Linda King in 1959 with whom he has two daughters.

His awards include National Academy of Arts grants
More about Jim Harrison...
Legends of the Fall Dalva The English Major Returning to Earth The Woman Lit By Fireflies

“In Ecuador the Indian mate was too poor to buy Polaroid glasses but he saw the caudal fins of marlin long before my perfect eyes noticed anything. Benny played pool as if the cue stick emerged from his body. Not my alcohol & geometry. She was an asshole and I couldn't have loved her at gunpoint.” 2 likes