Start by marking “The Winner's Brain: 8 Strategies Great Minds Use to Achieve Success” as Want to Read:
The Winner's Brain: 8 Strategies Great Minds Use to Achieve Success

The Winner's Brain: 8 Strategies Great Minds Use to Achieve Success

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  254 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Ever wonder why some people seem blessed with success? In fact, everyone is capable of winning in life—you just need to develop the right brain for it.In The Winner’s Brain, Drs. Jeffrey Brown and Mark J. Fenske use cutting-edge neuroscience to identify the secrets of those who succeed no matter what—and demonstrate how little it has to do with IQ or upbringing. Through si ...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Winner's Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winner's Brain

Eohlson
Jun 07, 2010 Eohlson rated it it was ok
I personally found this to be a two-star book, but that's because I found much of the material duplicative from other books I've read that were better, such as Brain Rules by Medina, With Winning In Mind by Bassham, Overachievement by Eliot, and books by Gary Klein.

Additionally, the book failed to deliver on some of it's promises, being week on both case studies and exercises I thought.

On a positive note, the material was a good refresher and I think anyone who hadn't read all the books I've men
Daniel Jon Kershaw
Nov 25, 2014 Daniel Jon Kershaw rated it liked it
I read this book and all I got was a lousy super brain.
Eric Herod
Mar 10, 2016 Eric Herod rated it it was ok
I don't write these often, but I was feeling inspired. This was a strange book. I was torn between giving it 3 stars (because it was written well and filled with interesting summaries of current research) and 1 star (because I felt it lacked insightful strategies to optimize brain power). So I gave it 2.
The book appears to aim at an audience not familiar with neuroscience, considering that the opening chapters deal with lingo and history, but I found that the material in some places seemed a bi
Said Al-Maskery
The book has a very simplistic approach in defining the correlation between what the authors believe as a winning brain factor and science. They keep referring to certain fmi scan results to "prove" something.
The eight winners brain qualities would have been enough and would have made a good read, no need to legitimise it with brain scans.

The book was enjoyable to read, but I gave it a 2 star because it failed to convince me on its scientific approach to identify a winners brain.
Vaishali Joglekar
Sep 12, 2015 Vaishali Joglekar rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Remove the anecdotes and this is a fantastic book ... similar to Robbins/Tracy/Burchard research.

Golden Nuggets:
---------------------
Winner’s brains :
1. Seem to contain a bottomless effort-supply... the ability to stop and re-power despite interruptions
2. Fire up emotion to push through boredom, while less tenacious individuals run out of steam
3. Adapt in exceptional ways over time

Definition of “Winner” : A person having extraordinary success in the areas of life she values most. She sets out t
Mario Tomic
Jan 04, 2015 Mario Tomic rated it it was amazing
Great mix of neuroscience with self-help! The Winner's Brain kept me engaged from page one and is one of the most interesting books I've read recently. The big idea of the book is that there are certain characteristics of a brain that separate the most successful people in the world from the masses. These are not innate like most people believe, but skills that can be cultivated over time due to great effect of neuroplasticity. The author identified 8 of these strategies and pretty much nailed e ...more
Adam Uraynar
Apr 20, 2016 Adam Uraynar marked it as backburner
Resume
I always see a project through to the end.
I easily tolerate being outside of my comfort zone.
I'm good at finding solutions when none seem to exist.

Question
What can thinking be bad for--what kinds of thought experiments? (p 99 "thinking can be almost as good as doing")

eureka moments born from incubating an idea

Everyday things
Meditate or do deep breathing relaxation exercises or yoga for 30 min, three times/week or more.
Add half a cup of berries daily.
Drink 2-3, 8-oz of apple juice or eat 2-
Kelly Enck
Jul 30, 2013 Kelly Enck rated it it was amazing
I love Brain Books! My favorite one is "The Self Illusion" by Bruce Hood, but this one is also Great!

I learned a couple of new things from this book, that a "Winner's Brain" thinks 6 steps ahead. I was excited to read this, because I wake up every night thinking of what might happen and play out Wild Scenarios! I grew up a military brat -- trained by the best-- the US Air Force, my dad. They call this situational awareness.

Another cool fact in this book is that to passively forget something... "
JP
Sep 24, 2013 JP rated it really liked it
Shelves: arete, non-fiction
Two scientists with deep brain credentials have summarized the traits that result in success at any form of pursuit. The traits are: self-awareness, motivation, focus, emotional balance, memory, resilience, adaptability, and brain care. Chapters on each of these traits explain them along with key empirical insights, individual stories, and practical applications. Brain care covers both the physical needs of the brain (exercise, nutrition, and sleep) and the importance of continually stretching t ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
Aug 19, 2010 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it liked it
‘Your brain, much like the rest of you, has fundamental needs.’

What enables some people to succeed in life, while others simply survive? Is our maximum potential predetermined, or do we have the capacity to push beyond what we perceive to be our limitations? The authors of this book say that the workings of the brain make the difference, and that it is possible to train the brain to perform at a higher level. How? By identifying and employing the same strategies as high-achieving individuals use
Lily
Jul 10, 2011 Lily rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: others, just not me
Recommended to Lily by: found at bn- drawn in by mktg
This book really doesn't say anything insightful. But at least it doesn't say anything wrong (not true of all books).... so two stars. It basically says things such as winners are resilient and bounce back from setbacks; they use their emotions in productive ways instead of being controlled by them; they persist until they succeed. Et cetera.

There were only a few nuances that impressed me: one, the insight that winners calm down when a potential threat proves not to materialize, whereas others
Maja
Jul 15, 2014 Maja rated it really liked it
This is the perfect vacation book, with lots of interesting insights for readers who are curious about neuroplasticity. The authors have made it accessible to anyone, while managing to completely avoid the mind-numbing prose typical of the self-help genre. It made me want to read more about brain science. Don't be alarmed by the cheesy title.
K R N
Jul 03, 2011 K R N rated it really liked it
Possibly the first "pop cognitive neuroscience" book I've encountered. It's written by experts on the subject, not digested by some third party, so that's always great.

I mainly enjoyed the direct discussions of mental habits, and that they came from a cognitive science-informed perspective.

A lot of the advice itself has probably been said before in all different ways sans neuroanatomy, and even for someone who studied cognitive science, some of the neuroanatomy went in one ear and out the other
Minjung
Mar 06, 2014 Minjung rated it really liked it
I realized Motivation, Persistance, and Constantly Seeking Opportunities is qualities for Winner's Brain. One factor that I didn't think about is Self-Awareness. The book was saying it is imporant to get feedback to know thyself and have a good understanding of how others perceive your talent and value. Therefore, getting constructive criticism and digesting/modifying behvior for betterment is important. It also mentioned that not dwelling on criticism, but having a good bounce back attitude/act ...more
Marcus
Mar 22, 2016 Marcus rated it liked it
Short enough to review again, which I'll do. Many of the methods are described in other books on sports and success psychology I've read - this was less entertaining maybe for that reason.
Florian Lerch
May 17, 2014 Florian Lerch rated it liked it
There were only very few of the promised interviews and even them were of no greater meaning for the chapters. So the content is pretty generic with a couple of brain-parts interspersed.
Quinn
Aug 26, 2012 Quinn rated it it was ok
The Winner's Brain was not a winners book. Pretty much any business book you read has a certain number (pick any number) of attributes that are needed to be a winner/consultant/boss/person. Then the in a good book you'll usually get a bunch of really good stories back with some decent research on the subject. The others simply expound a Websters definition into a chapter long drone. This was mostly the latter. I really give it 1.5 starts because it has a few good ideas in the "memory" definition ...more
Waseem
Dec 17, 2014 Waseem rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was good, useful and some interesting advice, but not mind blowing, anyone who studies the brain, self improvement will find this informative and useful, but no real aha moments for me, personally found it a tad bit long and boring, but then again I can see where the author is focusing on with good content rich information...

would be interesting to hear what fellow readers thought....do you agree or disagree?

Waseem Mirza
L
Jun 02, 2013 L rated it liked it
The book is less about strategies and more about using research to prove the importance of the eight characteristics. While all 8 is valuable, some are more common sense than anything profound or game changing. The 4 or so strategies that are good have some interesting tactics that can be readily applied. The fact that the book is too general makes it less useful. Approachable and a fun 2 hour or so read that is in my opinion, not worth the purchase.
Wissam Raji
Apr 16, 2015 Wissam Raji rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on how to have a winner's brain. It gives a scientific approach from a neuroscience point of view on how successful people deal with issues, how they see the big picture, how they do not give up on what they want and most importantly how to take care of one's brain. Very nice presentation of the ideas with clear examples that stick easily in one's head. Highly recommended.
Stephen
Nov 28, 2010 Stephen rated it it was ok
Didn't have as much useful information as I would have hoped. The book would talk about how the brain works. I personally don't care what my Amygdala or Insular cortex do, or where they are located in my brain. How does that help me? I want to learn how to better use my brain, to become more successful, not become a brain scientist. it is a poorly written book.
Amari
Yeah. Not great. Not the sort of thing I would normally read, and certainly a book I felt very self-conscious about reading on the U-Bahn. But it was free, published by Harvard, and under 200 pages, so I chose optimism. Ehh.
Fatih
Apr 29, 2015 Fatih rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dengan banyak sekali riset dan penelitian yang dirangkum untuk menjelaskan cara kerja otak secara empiris, penulis betul" paham mengenai fungsi dan cara kerja otak guna memaksimalkan fungsinya dalam menjadi 'pemenang'.
Martha
Mar 07, 2015 Martha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, health
The info in this book might have been new when I bought it, but since I didn't get around to reading it until a few years later, a lot of it was old hat. I did get new perspective on a few things, I guess.
Brian
Jun 28, 2013 Brian rated it it was ok
Good overview of winner's brain, but lacking in the how-to. Since it is mostly rehash of other self-help books, it's better to go with others with more information.
Michele Connolly
A great reminder that what you do changes your brain - which is so encouraging!
Interesting studies, but fewer practical strategies than I'd hoped.
Cemile
Oct 17, 2014 Cemile rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Poorly written. Hard to read. Being an expert doesn't make you an author. No flow. Overall I wish I haven't wasted my time.
Eric
May 22, 2011 Eric rated it it was ok
Shelves: healthy-living
The book covered basically what I already knew so I didn't find it that great, though it was nice to get a refresher on them.
Carmen
Aug 03, 2011 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting reading but not as informative as promised. There were a few tips for memorizing and focusing which I found useful.
Steveb beketa
Jul 07, 2011 Steveb beketa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Finished this a whilllleeee back - interesting neurological perspective of the habits of those who are winners
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Five Minds for the Future
  • Working for You Isn't Working for Me: The Ultimate Guide to Managing Your Boss
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • Maximum Influence: The 12 Universal Laws of Power Persuasion
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • Fearless Leadership: How To Overcome Behavioral Blind Spots And Transform Your Organization
  • Confronting Reality: Doing What Matters to Get Things Right
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • Magnificent Mind at Any Age: Natural Ways to Unleash Your Brain's Maximum Potential
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships