The Winner's Brain: 8 Strategies Great Minds Use to Achieve Success

The Winner's Brain: 8 Strategies Great Minds Use to Achieve Success

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Ever wonder why some people seem blessed with success? In fact, everyone is capable of winning in life—you just need to develop the right brain for it.In The Winner’s Brain, Drs. Jeffrey Brown and Mark J. Fenske use cutting-edge neuroscience to identify the secrets of those who succeed no matter what—and demonstrate how little it has to do with IQ or upbringing. Through si...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

To ask other readers questions about The Winner's Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winner's Brain

Eohlson
I personally found this to be a two-star book, but that's because I found much of the material duplicative from other books I've read that were better, such as Brain Rules by Medina, With Winning In Mind by Bassham, Overachievement by Eliot, and books by Gary Klein.

Additionally, the book failed to deliver on some of it's promises, being week on both case studies and exercises I thought.

On a positive note, the material was a good refresher and I think anyone who hadn't read all the books I've men...more
Kelly Enck
I love Brain Books! My favorite one is "The Self Illusion" by Bruce Hood, but this one is also Great!

I learned a couple of new things from this book, that a "Winner's Brain" thinks 6 steps ahead. I was excited to read this, because I wake up every night thinking of what might happen and play out Wild Scenarios! I grew up a military brat -- trained by the best-- the US Air Force, my dad. They call this situational awareness.

Another cool fact in this book is that to passively forget something... "...more
JP
Two scientists with deep brain credentials have summarized the traits that result in success at any form of pursuit. The traits are: self-awareness, motivation, focus, emotional balance, memory, resilience, adaptability, and brain care. Chapters on each of these traits explain them along with key empirical insights, individual stories, and practical applications. Brain care covers both the physical needs of the brain (exercise, nutrition, and sleep) and the importance of continually stretching t...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Your brain, much like the rest of you, has fundamental needs.’

What enables some people to succeed in life, while others simply survive? Is our maximum potential predetermined, or do we have the capacity to push beyond what we perceive to be our limitations? The authors of this book say that the workings of the brain make the difference, and that it is possible to train the brain to perform at a higher level. How? By identifying and employing the same strategies as high-achieving individuals use...more
Lily
Jul 10, 2011 Lily rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: others, just not me
Recommended to Lily by: found at bn- drawn in by mktg
This book really doesn't say anything insightful. But at least it doesn't say anything wrong (not true of all books).... so two stars. It basically says things such as winners are resilient and bounce back from setbacks; they use their emotions in productive ways instead of being controlled by them; they persist until they succeed. Et cetera.

There were only a few nuances that impressed me: one, the insight that winners calm down when a potential threat proves not to materialize, whereas others...more
Maja
This is the perfect vacation book, with lots of interesting insights for readers who are curious about neuroplasticity. The authors have made it accessible to anyone, while managing to completely avoid the mind-numbing prose typical of the self-help genre. It made me want to read more about brain science. Don't be alarmed by the cheesy title.
K R N
Possibly the first "pop cognitive neuroscience" book I've encountered. It's written by experts on the subject, not digested by some third party, so that's always great.

I mainly enjoyed the direct discussions of mental habits, and that they came from a cognitive science-informed perspective.

A lot of the advice itself has probably been said before in all different ways sans neuroanatomy, and even for someone who studied cognitive science, some of the neuroanatomy went in one ear and out the other...more
Minjung
I realized Motivation, Persistance, and Constantly Seeking Opportunities is qualities for Winner's Brain. One factor that I didn't think about is Self-Awareness. The book was saying it is imporant to get feedback to know thyself and have a good understanding of how others perceive your talent and value. Therefore, getting constructive criticism and digesting/modifying behvior for betterment is important. It also mentioned that not dwelling on criticism, but having a good bounce back attitude/act...more
Florian Lerch
There were only very few of the promised interviews and even them were of no greater meaning for the chapters. So the content is pretty generic with a couple of brain-parts interspersed.
Quinn
The Winner's Brain was not a winners book. Pretty much any business book you read has a certain number (pick any number) of attributes that are needed to be a winner/consultant/boss/person. Then the in a good book you'll usually get a bunch of really good stories back with some decent research on the subject. The others simply expound a Websters definition into a chapter long drone. This was mostly the latter. I really give it 1.5 starts because it has a few good ideas in the "memory" definition...more
Said Al-Maskery
The book has a very simplistic approach in defining the correlation between what the authors believe as a winning brain factor and science. They keep referring to certain fmi scan results to "prove" something.
The eight winners brain qualities would have been enough and would have made a good read, no need to legitimise it with brain scans.

The book was enjoyable to read, but I gave it a 2 star because it failed to convince me on its scientific approach to identify a winners brain.
Waseem
This was good, useful and some interesting advice, but not mind blowing, anyone who studies the brain, self improvement will find this informative and useful, but no real aha moments for me, personally found it a tad bit long and boring, but then again I can see where the author is focusing on with good content rich information...

would be interesting to hear what fellow readers thought....do you agree or disagree?

Waseem
L
The book is less about strategies and more about using research to prove the importance of the eight characteristics. While all 8 is valuable, some are more common sense than anything profound or game changing. The 4 or so strategies that are good have some interesting tactics that can be readily applied. The fact that the book is too general makes it less useful. Approachable and a fun 2 hour or so read that is in my opinion, not worth the purchase.
Stephen
Didn't have as much useful information as I would have hoped. The book would talk about how the brain works. I personally don't care what my Amygdala or Insular cortex do, or where they are located in my brain. How does that help me? I want to learn how to better use my brain, to become more successful, not become a brain scientist. it is a poorly written book.
Amari
Yeah. Not great. Not the sort of thing I would normally read, and certainly a book I felt very self-conscious about reading on the U-Bahn. But it was free, published by Harvard, and under 200 pages, so I chose optimism. Ehh.
Brian
Good overview of winner's brain, but lacking in the how-to. Since it is mostly rehash of other self-help books, it's better to go with others with more information.
Michele Connolly
A great reminder that what you do changes your brain - which is so encouraging!
Interesting studies, but fewer practical strategies than I'd hoped.
Cemile Armas
Poorly written. Hard to read. Being an expert doesn't make you an author. No flow. Overall I wish I haven't wasted my time.
Eric
The book covered basically what I already knew so I didn't find it that great, though it was nice to get a refresher on them.
Carmen
Interesting reading but not as informative as promised. There were a few tips for memorizing and focusing which I found useful.
Steveb beketa
Finished this a whilllleeee back - interesting neurological perspective of the habits of those who are winners
Amanda Wesson
Bought the book read about 50 pages and simply lost interest. What started as interesting here easily got boring.
Peter
Ideas are not bad but much of it was what the psychology says and little on strategies to implement.
Pedro Gil nieva
Buenos tips, de repente como que repite los ejemplos demasiado.

Muy recomendable
Carolyn
Not much news that I haven't already read.
Loann Nguyen
It was a good read and a good reminder.
Akrabar
Akrabar marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Kaajal Nadan
Kaajal Nadan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Five Minds for the Future
  • The 3rd Alternative: Solving Life's Most Difficult Problems
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • What You're Really Meant to Do
  • Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking
  • Understanding Other People: The Five Secrets to Human Behavior
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Nerve: Poise Under Pressure, Serenity Under Stress, and the Brave New Science of Fear and Cool
  • Quiet Influence: The Introvert's Guide to Making a Difference
  • A PhD Is Not Enough: A Guide To Survival In Science
  • The Click Moment: Seizing Opportunity in an Unpredictable World
  • Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom for Work & Life from 50 Landmark Books
  • The Myth of Multitasking: How "Doing It All" Gets Nothing Done
  • Magnificent Mind at Any Age: Natural Ways to Unleash Your Brain's Maximum Potential
  • Your Brain: The Missing Manual
  • Create Your Own Economy: The Path to Prosperity in a Disordered World
Born in Toronto, Canada, Jeff Brown did all the things he was supposed to do to become successful in the eyes of the world. He was on the Deans Honor List as an undergraduate. He won the Law and Medicine prize in law school. He apprenticed with top criminal lawyer Eddie Greenspan. It had been Browns lifelong dream to practice criminal law and search for the truth in the courtroom.
But then, on the...more
More about Jeff Brown...
Soulshaping: A Journey of Self-Creation Love It Forward The Winner's Brain Knowing the Father Working  Through the Crisis