Start by marking “Chains of Command” as Want to Read:
Chains of Command

Dale Brown

Chains of Command

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,642 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
When a volatile Russian leader tries to reclaim the former Soviet republics, Lt. Col. Daren Mace finds himself back in the cockpit of the sleek RF-111G "Vampire" bomber with Rebecca Furness, the military's first woman combat flier. Now Mace and Rebecca are in danger of being pulled into a war beyond borders . . . both professionally and personally. A critically acclaimed b ...more
Published May 1st 1994 by Turtleback Books (first published July 7th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Chains of Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chains of Command

Nlindgren
Aug 15, 2014 Nlindgren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jingoist tripe with cardboard characterization, insufferable protagonists, silly "plot" and tons of unnecessary exposition. In addition, there's an obligatory romance subplot devoid of all chemistry and character while one character's fiancée exists only to die and facilitate his righteous man-rage.

The first 150 pages or so are somewhat readable, since they are actually about flying. For the rest of the book you are treated to simplistic political ranting and rushed flight scenes as the author s
Thomas III
I grabbed the book out of intrigue due to the potential parallel events that are happening in today’s world with Russia and the Ukraine. It was a mistake. I’m sure there’s a great storyline in there somewhere. As much as I appreciate the thorough research, the flood of acronyms and technical terms thrown at the common reader is unnecessary most of the time. I found the author took far too long to develop the characters and scenes. I was disappointed. No need for a spoiler alert since I couldn’t ...more
John
Sep 02, 2014 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Chains of Command is very much a book of its time. Clearly when he wrote this book, Dale Brown had some strong opinions. About the US not killing Saddam Hussein during Desert Storm. About Bill and Hillary Clinton, and how involved she was in the government. About the focus of the US military shifting to reserves. About women in combat. About the shape of post-USSR Russia.

There is no Patrick McLanahan here. No Brad Elliot. Not even any B-52s. Brown created a whole new cast of characters, though D
Jeffrey
Jul 30, 2015 Jeffrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This book was ok. Not great, not terrible. But worth the listen. Three is pretty low for me because of numerous issues about how the book sometimes was really a struggle.

The love angle in the book is cute... but seriously is a male's view of women pilots. The women is a great pilot. Yippee. Not all women pilots need fall for cute Air Force officers and not all USAF men must pursue them.

The lack of any response from other countries seems a far fetched plot tool.

Now a non-book thing

I was an F-111
Scott Hanson
Sep 27, 2014 Scott Hanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reading, current events applicable, well written

For those of us that enjoy reading about possible current events regarding NATO, Soviet, and American forces mixing it up. This is sure to please even the ones that demand accurate, well researched, and likely scenarios. The author goes to great lengths to provide character development, background information, and technical information adding to the experience. Well done! On a personal note, many years have passed, I relived many experien
Jim A
Aug 25, 2015 Jim A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Dale Brown military action novel. Lots of air combat sequences as well as aircraft problems to solve. Adequate background for main players.

While this was written in 1993 or so, it could just as easily been written in the past couple of years. Russia has designs on Ukraine and nukes several cities and air bases.

Interesting to note Brown's lack of enthusiasm for what would have been Bill and Hillary's first year in office and the military cuts proposed at that time, fictionalized for this
Brett Tompkins
Jan 07, 2009 Brett Tompkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredible book! It runs you through all your emotions. I really like books that can actually make me sad, or piss me off. There were a couple characters in this book that absolutely pissed me off. One was weapons officer that worked under a woman pilot in an F-111, and the disrespectful way he spoke to her and treated her was actually pissing me off. The other character was the first lady. I couldn't believe what the president let her get away with, and the way she would treat the h ...more
Ed
May 31, 2016 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, action, thriller
Non-Series - Military fiction - Russian President Valentin Sen'kov plans an invasion of the Ukraine in 1995. When the invasion gets underway, the US is prompted to send an Air Force Reserve F-111 unit to help the Ukrainians. The novel introduces future McLanahan saga characters Lieutenant Colonel Darren Mace and Major Rebecca Furness, the USAF's first female combat pilot.
Mikel Dawson
Jan 24, 2014 Mikel Dawson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alread-read
I read this book just after Red Storm Rising. I had no idea who Dale Brown was, but soon learned he was a good writer. He also did a good job of researching his subjects and putting the book together. I found it to be a great read and have since read it over several times, enjoying each time as the first. A great book if you enjoy military situations and a great plot.
Carol and Gary Curtis
Good book. Way too much technical jargon, unless you're into that, which I tried to speed read through. The plot was outstanding, even if most of the American supporting character were real "shits". Very exciting material, well worth the time.
Craig and Linda Hoffman
The worst Dale Brown book ever and that's saying a bunch.

Awful. Not close to credible. Aircraft performance descriptions wholly inaccurate. Simply stinks. Don't waste money on this tripe. Beyond bad!
Paul Arzeni
Sep 20, 2015 Paul Arzeni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edge of your seat tension!

Dale Brown brings us back to edge and returns us with a sense of resolve. Another page Turner to be honored.
Marilyn
Aug 15, 2012 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's another of Dale Brown's great books. This one is QUITE a bit more technical, so a lot of it went over my head, but I learned a lot about the territory around the Black Sea, the Ukraine, Turkey and ... fighter pilots and the intensity inside a cockpit during war. This one is about Major Daren Mace who made a fateful decision, during Desert Storm, to go against orders, which in his eyes was the only right thing to do. This move landed him in military exile. Now Mace has moved on to the Air ...more
George
Aug 14, 2014 George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of his best stories. Stayed up late reading it.
Andreas
Mar 25, 2011 Andreas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty bland fare for a technothriller. The plot is just a bit too incredible and the author needs to get a better map of Europe in order to distinguish between Slovenia and Slovakia. So why did I read it? Lots and lots of aviation candy in, especially concerning about overlooked strike and bomber planes like the F-111. If you’re not into aviation, don’t bother with this one.

Katie
One of my favorites - the paperback copy I used to cart around as an "emergency backup book" in middle and high school actually disintegrated after repeated readings and many many miles of travel. For a story set not long after the most eventful portion of the Cold War (and indeed, set not long before I read it the first time), it could be even more plausible now, given the state of the world.
Patrick
Jul 17, 2009 Patrick marked it as partially-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-fiction
The situation looks very interesting, but too much profanity and sexual talk for me. I like political/military thrillers, but most of them have a lot of this stuff to be realistic. I don't read a lot of Tom Clancy anymore. I had hopes for this author. The genre may just be lost for me.
Joi
May 17, 2012 Joi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a couple months to get through this book. The story was just a bit too unbelievable to really grab me, and I easily let it sit for weeks before returning to it in the hope it would get better, I finally finished it because I figured I was so far into it I may as well finish.
Teddy
Jan 29, 2012 Teddy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book seemed like a chance for the author to show off his knowledge of military acronyms and specs of jets and planes. In between all of this boring part, the actual story wasn't half bad, but you had to wade through that part to get to the story.
Greg Oaster
Had a hard time reading this book, just could not get into it, normally, I can get through a book rather quickly, three times, I put it down.
Richard
Jan 22, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an old book time-wise, but very interesting conjecture on the Clintons, the rise out of the mess that was the Soviet Union, and the impact of a first nuclear exchange. Well worth the read.
Jack
Apr 12, 2010 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting military thriller. The attacks on Bill and Hillary may have been a little heavy handed.
Tod Hamilton
Dec 20, 2012 Tod Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my faves of Dale browns. Enjoyed it, but split the reading up, spending time on other books as well.
Pete
Sep 18, 2009 Pete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got to love a good page-turner -- lets me escape!
Charles
Nail biter right from the start
Eddie
Aug 20, 2013 Eddie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a bit slow!
Mikethecripple
Oct 29, 2012 Mikethecripple rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME!!
R. Wayne
Sep 16, 2013 R. Wayne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
not good
Elizabeth Redpath
Elizabeth Redpath marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Ukraine angle is ahead of its time! 1 3 Mar 31, 2014 02:32PM
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton #2)
  • Vortex
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Firebreak (Matt Pontowski, #1)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of eleven consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997) ...more
More about Dale Brown...