Start by marking “I Know a Rhino” as Want to Read:

I Know a Rhino

NOW IN BOARD

These are my friends
I know them, you see.
I know them quite well...
because they live with me!

Charles Fuge's delightful rhyming text and absolutely adorable images bring to life a little girl and her charming animals as they play all day. She spins round with her hippo, blows bubbles in the bath with giraffe, and picnics on brown bread and honey with her
Board Book, 22 pages
Published August 1st 2003 by Sterling (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about I Know a Rhino, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Know a Rhino

Tori Stapleton
Picture book. Sweet illustrations tell a little girl's relationship with personified stuff animals. Great rhyming book to teach phonological awareness.
Mike
May 23, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing
Have you ever taken a bath with a giraffe? Played doctor with a dragon? Brunched with a bear? Rocked out with an orangutan? The female lead in I Know a Rhino is a little girl with a big imagination. She brings her stuffed animal friends along in all of her imaginative adventures.

Charles Fuge's luscious illustrations in I Know a Rhino made this my son's favorite board book from infancy. The text flows nicely, with well-formed rhymes and a good pace. You will quickly be able to read this book with
Lindsay
Feb 09, 2017 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
One of C's favorites. The first book she memorized.
Rachel
Another recommended book for toddlers, this one was actually good. I thought it was an adorable story about a toddler/preschool girl who goes on a picnic with a bear, takes a bath with a giraffe, looks after a dragon with a cold and other adventures. She is able to do with her stuffed animals and a lot of imagination. The illustrations are great and the text is short, bold type and rhyming. Highly recommended for ages 1-6, 4 stars.
Rob
Sep 14, 2009 Rob rated it really liked it
Why do so many kids books attempt a rhyme scheme and then totally let it fall apart on at least one page? It's usually something with the meter. This book is no exception.

But it's got some great illustrations. And I love how the giraffe page gets turned to be extra tall. Nice work that. Plus H. likes it.

ALSO: "...would like to have seen them discuss Mozilla's JavaScript interpreter in more technical detail."
Alice
Sep 04, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
This book was cute but I got worried when it talked about "dancing to a tape" thinking "this is a new book, most kids have no IDEA what a tape player is" but then I saw that is was first printed in 2002, so, I can give them a break. This book is cute. I love the imagination and then ending was just what I hoped it would be....Fun one for little kids!
Autumn Bumgarner
Dec 02, 2013 Autumn Bumgarner rated it it was amazing
Final Project: This book is so cute i want to go out right now an d buy it for my nieces. This book shows little girls that they can have friends if all shapes and sizes and even stuff animal ones too. A friend just has to be someone that you can have fauna and be yourself with. Really loved this book!
Nicole
Jul 07, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it
I love this book! I just found it at Aladdin's Lamp in the Harrison Center and have no idea how popular or well-known it is. The illustrations are so beautiful and realistic, and the rhymes are whimsical and fun. I love the big surprise ending, too. :) It is my new favorite board book.
Kristen
Feb 25, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
I was very charmed by this book. It has a great rhyme scheme, great pictures, and I think would go over well with both toddlers and preschoolers. The preschoolers would appreciate the pictures and the ending more, but I think the rhyme scheme makes it great for toddler time.
Amelia
We may have hidden this book because we were being asked to read it 3 or more times a day. A favorite of Linnéa's for about 4 months now, and charming, with a adorable toddler girl as the protagonist.
Soh Kam Yung
Jul 25, 2011 Soh Kam Yung rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Nice book with interesting illustrations of animals.

I like it because it shows the wonderful things a child could imagine while still being rooted in reality (the last page of the book).

It also helps that my son is now fascinated with animals.
Alison
Oct 20, 2013 Alison rated it it was amazing
My 2-year-old loves animals and stuffed animals and this book is perfect for him. This book was an adorable story about a little girl and her love of her stuffed animals and types of play activities they would do.
Snazzasaz
Dec 17, 2015 Snazzasaz rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt this is THE best picture book that my daughter owns. I have lost count of how many copies we have purchased for friends over the years. It's a pity that it's not more widely available.
Heather Hall
Jun 03, 2011 Heather Hall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Imaginative rhyming board book that's a big hit with both my kids (and me). I love the pictures and the conclusion. Lucas loves that it's full of animals. Katie likes to to see the little girl interacting with the animals.
Tam
Sep 02, 2011 Tam rated it really liked it
Cute rhyming book for my 5-year-old. He loved the end.

Excerpt from the book:
I know a Rhino. We like to take tea.
I have two sugars and Rhino has three.

I know a Pig and we play in the dirt.
We always have mud fights but no one gets hurt.
Heather
May 29, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
A cute little book, highly recommended. The pics very cute and the story engaging.
Ericka
Dec 08, 2012 Ericka rated it it was amazing
Fun book for kids
Mary
Aug 12, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
Another Sadie favorite...
Chastity Davis
Jan 26, 2008 Chastity Davis rated it it was amazing
I love the illustrations! My daughter also loves this book!!
Madeline
Dec 14, 2010 Madeline rated it it was amazing
yeah
Marcelaine
Jul 15, 2012 Marcelaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a cute little book. We borrowed it from the library and Kevin has loved it. I don't mind reading it over and over and over too much.
Matthew
Aug 01, 2007 Matthew rated it it was amazing
okay, I'm a sucker for a schmaltzy story about stuffed animals.
Kay
Aug 16, 2011 Kay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
delightful for little girls
Brogan
Sep 21, 2013 Brogan rated it it was amazing
My 17 month old's favorite book. She ran around saying wino for months. The illustrations are very well done.
Aneesa
Aug 06, 2016 Aneesa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great illustrations; some issues with meter and technological relevance. As usual, giraffe is the best!
Andrea
Apr 09, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Funny BIG pictures of animals and an endearing message.
Heather
Nov 08, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
46 month - completely not age appropriate but we'll borrow this one again when baby brother is about a year old... That would be perfect.
Leandra
Dec 07, 2010 Leandra rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book about imagination. Great reads for kids! The illustrations were beautiful and almost look realistic.
Linda
Mar 16, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-favorites
Huge Genevieve favorite - probably since she still believes all of her stuffed animals come to life.
The Brothers
Feb 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Shelves: rhymes
Nice little rhyme about a girl doing things will all sort of fun animals.

Great illustrations.
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • Ten In The Den
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Goodnight, Me
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Whatever
  • Mr Archimedes' Bath
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
Charles Fuge has been writing and illustrating since 1988. Published while he was in art school, his first picture book won the Mother Goose Award for best newcomer to children's books. He lives in England with his partner, Sarah, and their son, Ollie.
More about Charles Fuge...