Start by marking “Last Dance at the Frosty Queen” as Want to Read:
Last Dance at the Frosty Queen

Last Dance at the Frosty Queen

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
On the dock of a lake in a tiny town at the corner of Nowhere & Nowhere, he sits counting the seconds until his high school graduation—at which point Arthur M. Flood intends to leave his hick life far behind in the brown Kansas dust. That's the plan. Until . . . up from the lake's muddy depths swims a girl. She's not a mermaid, but she is the one who shakes up Arty's l ...more
Published December 9th 2008 by Laurel Leaf (first published August 14th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Last Dance at the Frosty Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Dance at the Frosty Queen

Lisa
Jul 27, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harker City, Kansas, isn’t much to speak of — the biggest business competition in town is between two funeral homes, one of which Arthur Flood’s dad owns. Arty is about to graduate from high school and has two things on his mind: sex and getting out of town. Maybe three, if you count getting a high score on the Frosty Queen’s Ms. Pac-Man machine.

In this novel written for young adults, Richard Uhlig takes a bittersweet, unsentimental and sometimes humorous look at a small town in the late 1980s —
Teen
Jan 27, 2009 Teen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: Unfortunately for Arty Flood, his quest to leave Kansas upon graduation from high school, there is no tornado to whisk him off to the Emerald city. His dad’s undertaking business is on the skids; his after school job as a dog clothing designer can’t afford to pay him what he has earned. Socially, his life is even more complicated. The town sheriff has blackmailed Arty into dating his ugly daughter, who sees Arty as husband material, as soon as she can bust her cherry and get pregnant. Th ...more
Queenielyn
Jun 23, 2013 Queenielyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's how I'll start this review:

It's perfectly fine whether you go to a library without books in mind that you'll sure to borrow—all it takes is to just pick up a random book from the shelf and start reading. I randomly picked this book up from the library shelf.

"Of all the things this burg lacks, dateable girls would have to be at the top of my list."

That's what I did with this beautiful, well-paced book. It wasn't in my to-read list at all. Sure now it is in mine! And should you read it a
Claudia
May 10, 2009 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All students....
Recommended to Claudia by: Karin and Martha and Jenny
Shelves: sequoyah-2010
I love Arty -- he's graduating from high school in a dead-end town, just dreaming of escaping to a more glamorous life. But his affair with a high school teacher (ew) and relationship with the sheriff's daughter (her daddy insists! And he's scary), don't leave him much time to really figure out who he is and what he really wants. He just knows he doesn't want to join the family's undertaking business, or end up like his sister or brother. He doesn't really want to face the issues of his mother's ...more
Joy Smith
Jun 26, 2012 Joy Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a YA book that adults will find endearing. I laughed along the way as main character, Arty Flood, cruised around his boring Kansas hometown in a hearse - a birthday gift from his father who owns a funeral home. This is only the beginning of the quirky life of this high schooler. Arty can't help stumbling into the trouble he finds - first from the girlfriend who pressures him into sex so she can solidify her marraige plans; then from the English teacher who launches him into an affair wit ...more
Malorie
Jun 16, 2011 Malorie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes comedy with a side of romance and never-ending drama
Recommended to Malorie by: I found it while looking through books online
This book was phenomenal. I mean it hooked me from the beginning! I love the story setting, which is a small town in the Midwest. Arthur Flood's family owns a funeral home so Arty must use a hearse as his car. The basics about the book: Arty is having an affair with his teacher; Arty meets a beautiful girl, Vanessa, who seems to have a troubled past; and to conclude this chaotic situation Arty's actual girlfriend only wants her and Arty to have sex. The whole relationship presents a problem beca ...more
Sammi
Feb 23, 2010 Sammi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
When it comes to love, Arty is a train wreck in slow motion. Everything goes wrong, carnage is everywhere, yet you can't look away. Last Dance at the Frosty Queen is kind of like it's main character in that way. So many things happen, most of them either ridiculous or just plain stupid, and yet, I can't help loving this book. (I am now straying away from the train wreck metaphor. Train wrecks are BAD.) It's funny and awkward, and hits all the notes that every high schooler feels--the desperate s ...more
Jamalia Francis
Great plot but not the ending I expected.
Claire
Nov 21, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. It took actually stopping and thinking about it to set it in the 80s in my mind a few times, but it was easy to picture everything about it. If picturing central Kansas in the late 80s was this easy for me, it's probably time for me to leave central Illinois. Also if it was so easy, the writer probably did a great job. I wanted more to the story, but not depth wise. Nothing was left inappropriately unresolved. Fantastic.
Claudia Cutter
i liked this book a lot. the people in the small town were just so ridiculous and it made me simultaneously crack up and want to cry at some of the things that happened. very ironic and cynical.

i also liked the adventures that the main character and vanessa got into. it was very summery and sweet and sad.
Ari
Feb 05, 2010 Ari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up for my A-Z book challenge. It was pretty interesting, but not the best I've ever read. I love the ending though, quite interesting, and it's good that he got his dream figured out...Just a book to read on a rainy day.
Ryan
Jan 28, 2009 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining enough book, but the narrator's voice was nothing spectacular, and all the characters were so broadly drawn and crazy, it was difficult to believe in any of them at all. Kinda fun though.
Lisa
May 12, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was great it had all the elements of small town life( the affairs and the mean cop). Arty had a rough time of it. Vanessa was just the kind of crazy he needed.
Loren
Aug 04, 2011 Loren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable book. A very light, easy, quick read, but also very well-written, fun, sweet without being cheesy, and endearing. I highly recommend it.
Ilham
May 21, 2012 Ilham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book is actually a 3.5
While it was interesting and fun to read, nothing about this book stood out as something special.
Adrienne
Aug 22, 2009 Adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thouhgt it was an intersting book, at times it dragged on but i thought that it was worth reading and had a good ending.
HD
Jul 31, 2009 HD rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Not bad. Read this one for work. In the end, the storytelling redeemed the many cliches.
Sana Haque
Dec 10, 2010 Sana Haque rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book !!!! a perfect book about finding a way out of a traditional rusty town.
Alexis
Jun 15, 2009 Alexis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was one of the best I've read in a long time.
Heather S
Sequoyah Nominee: 2009-2010 (High School)
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Tzivi
Tzivi marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Emma Jones
Emma Jones rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Stevie
Stevie rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Hannah Poploske
Hannah Poploske marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Lauren Ardelean
Lauren Ardelean marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Christy Parish
Christy Parish rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Taylor Lipman
Taylor Lipman marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
puck
puck marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
What's The Name o...: 80's themed book about a boy with a hearse [s] 10 84 Jul 08, 2013 11:27AM
  • 7 Days at the Hot Corner
  • Grief Girl: My True Story
  • Diamonds in the Shadow
  • Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath
  • Lemonade Mouth
  • They Came From Below
  • Play Me Backwards
  • Circle the Soul Softly
  • Forged in the Fire (No Shame, No Fear #2)
  • My Boyfriends' Dogs
  • Stolen into Slavery: The True Story of Solomon Northup, Free Black Man
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • Going Underground
  • Carter's Big Break (Carter Finally Gets It, #2)
  • Busted: Confessions of an Accidental Player
  • Almost Home
  • Would You
  • Sleepless in San Francisco

“I am lonely beyond words.” 3 likes
“Why would you want to be with someone who doesn't want to be with you?” 2 likes