Start by marking “Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse” as Want to Read:
Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse

Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse (Amanda Thorne Mysteries #1)

2.85 of 5 stars 2.85  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Location, location, location. Like any realtor worth her designer sling-backs, Amanda Thorne knows the golden rule of selling homes. Unless, of course, the prime property includes one very dead corpse…

Amanda is pretty resilient, but she’s taken a few hard knocks since she moved to plush Palm Springs. After a divorce from her husband and business partner, Alex, she’s determ
Published 2010 by Kensington Books

To ask other readers questions about Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse

Grey853
Dianne
Plot line was believable but the heroine's emotional responses and attitude towards men/sex fell a bit flat and slightly askew. Obvious author was a man. Perhaps he shouldn't have tried to write in first person as female?
Libri-Diligo
I bought this book new; sadly, it was not worth the expense. The protagonist, a woman, does not come across as realistic at all. Her boorish mannerisms and her tendencies towards crudeness (the continuous use of the f- and c-words) are a major turn-off. I don't mind cursing if it's in character, but this was gratuitous. The author clearly also has something against Catholics from the bashing he gives that religion throughout the book. He also makes multiple jabs at politics he doesn't agree with ...more
Simon Mcleish
I debated about giving two or three stars to this book, which has some good points despite serious flaws.

It is a comic crime thriller which centres around the world of buying and selling upmarket houses in Palm Springs. The US housing market works rather differently from that of the UK, so I'm not all that familiar with the way things work, and the use of a realtor as investigator gives opportunities for places where bodies can be found (empty houses) and for the main character to use the people
Diane A
Although one would think this is a cozy mystery, and in some ways it is; however, the language is not the usual for that genre. While I have no problem with occasional swear words, crass words, or tough-guy talk, I have no use for constant f-words and definitely not the c-word, that is just really insulting to any woman. If you can get past this caveat, then it's a decent mystery.
Annie
The idea is great - but the protagonist, a female real estate agent, divorced from her gay husband whom she dearly loves, is so potty mouthed it becomes offensive after the first few pages. I kept on in hopes, but when I got to the part where she complains about another person's potty mouth, I managed not to throw up before closing the book.
Mary  (Biblophile)
I thought this was a cozy mystery, but I was sadly mistaken. Crass, four-letter speech throughout the first couple chapters. Didn't finish due to crude language and rambling passages. Don't waste your time.
Niki Sorensen
I finished reading Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse by David James a few months ago, but hedged and hawed every time I went to write a review. I really enjoyed this novel, and want to give it a 3.85. Sometimes I wish we had the option of a point system between stars, because three stars is not enough. Four stars, however, was not quite appropriate because there was one word that ruined it for me. The "c" word for women is highly offensive. I believe that this novel will be read mo ...more
Mike
The first chapter is funny with at least two mild chuckles that escaped from my lips. That chapter was also long and hyper. I had to go take a nap before continuing, and I do not take naps.

Amanda Thorne is a woman of obsessions and repeated mention of low confidence. A successful real estate agent before she meet, married, and partnered up with the perfect man, Alex, she loses her confidence after they divorce. The book begins with Amanda attempting to land a major listing. To show she still has
Cathy Cole
First Line: "...and by morning I had a yeast infection that you wouldn't believe!"

Divorced from her husband and business partner, Amanda Thorne is determined to become a success in the Palm Springs, California, real estate market, even if it means being forced to deal with impossible clients who love to give her details about their yeast infections. Thanks to many celebrities like Frank Sinatra and his "Rat Pack," Mid-Century Modern architecture is big in Palm Springs, and Amanda has just the ma
K
I received a copy of Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse through GoodReads.com’s FirstReads giveaway program.

Let me first state that I don't know why I entered into the drawing for this book. It was a mistake. I don't read many mysteries or books that are set in modern times, and I don't know anything about real estate.

I had to put this book down at the end of chapter four, in which Amanda Thorne visits her hairdresser Roberto in order to fix her hair from a bad encounter with a cact
Francine
I could not manage to finish this book. Returning it to the library with no regrets. The heroine does not ring true. Her offensive language might be funny and quirky for some people but I find it is not necessary to the story. Amanda could have been hilarious and edgy, but somehow she was cheated by the author who made her cheap and difficult to like. I gave it a * because I could not get lower and the idea for the book was a good one.
Meagan
I picked this book up at a store because it appeared to be a funny, witty book with a smattering of romance mixed into a mystery. Boy, was I wrong! This book is atrocious, with crass humor that is frequent, unnecessary and oddly spliced into the story. The heroine is flat without any development in her personality, the main lead is her gay ex-husband which she pines for the entire book, while still being "friends" with him. My favorite things about this book, were the long tirades about how it i ...more
Susan
Recently divorced from her soulmate, who turned out to be gay, but is still her best friend, Palm Springs real estate woman Amanda Thorne finds the dead body of a noted environmentalist in a house she's showing. Her ex-husband, who's in business with her, helps her try to find the culprit (who would kill an environmentalist but a developer?) and the very handsome policeman in charge of the case seems responsive both to her clues and her charms. None of it is very probable, but it passes the time ...more
Kaye
Amanda Thorne, recently divorced from the love of her life, Alex, when he came out of the closet, is trying to make it on her own as a real estate agent. However, the open house for her first big listing goes terribly wrong from the beginning. Her car won't start, she has to ride her bicycle, and she has a close encounter with a cactus, and that's just the beginning. When she arrives (late of course), impatient realtors follow her into the house only to find a dead body. I loved this book. Amand ...more
Darla
Thrilled to be a First Reads winner of this book, and dove right into the book as soon as it arrived (Thank you GoodReads!). I enjoyed the ridiculous, laugh-out-loud moments of this book; struggled through coarser moments; felt there was just a lot of ebb and flow in the plausibility of this plot. I agree with other reviewers that it was obviously a male author and found the romance aspect sorely lacking. For me the best part of this story was Amanda's ex-husband Alex and their evolving relation ...more
Janet Robel
It was a funny mystery. I think I liked Amanda because the things that happened to her had me laughing. There are times when you just need a good laugh and so I kept reading.
Fran Prisco
Good story, but filthy language. I do not think that a female charactor needs to use that tupy of language.
Bgpriley
I put it down before I even finished the first chapter. Major potty mouth.
Helen
The book did not hold my interest and I did not finish reading it. I read almost three fourths of the book before putting it aside. I liked Amanda at the beginning of the book but soon felt no connection to her at all. She and Alex just didn't seem very real. The stereotypical homosexual/gay references were off putting. As one of the other reviewers here put it, "the heroine's emotional responses and attitude towards men/sex fell a bit flat".
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
While the plot is a cozy, the language certainly isn't. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the plot and the humour and the author did a fine job with character development and setting, but wow! I am known to swear, and I tolerate colourful language in my books, but some of this was way beyond the pale and a lot of it seemed to be vulgar for vulgarities sake. I'm not sure that I'll read the next one or not. It was a bit rough.
Lynne Ware
Recommended by a friend as a funny mystery. Enjoyed it enough to read his second book but there should be a warning label attached re bad language.
Sam
The book seemed interesting when I picked it up, and the writer does have an original way of telling the story, just his language is enough to make the book good. However there were a lot of continuity and just plain blatant errors that distracted me from reading the book. Some questions went unanswered and I never really connected with the character. Not enjoyable for me beyond the basic mystery plotline.
Amy
A laugh out loud funny mystery! The lead "investigator" is a real estate agent who becomes a part-time sleuth when a body is found in one of her listings (houses). She has some interesting sidekicks who make life interesting!

A fantastic debut! I cannot wait for the next in the Amanda Thorne series!
Jill Allison
This definitely was not an Agatha Christie mystery. No clues to follow. Some of the dialog was laugh out loud funny, and I can see why these characters could be part of a series. As a stand alone book, however, there wasn't enough character depth.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was a good story ruined for me, by the constant distasteful language and the crudity with which it was used. The characters did not need to go there they were valid on their own. I do not know if I would buy a next book due to this.
Amanda
I really enjoyed the character dynamics in this novel.

Amanda & Alex make an amazing team!
Regina is a pip!
Knuckle sounds adorable!

I look forward to reading more about these fun, fabulous characters soon.
DianeG
The author should not have tried to write from the female perspective. The conversation was stilted and shallow and I didn't care for any of the main characters.
Fullfaun
Jun 13, 2011 Fullfaun rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Fullfaun by: Librarian
I had to put this book aside for other books that I am simultaneously reading. I am glad I finished it. It was good. can't wait for the 2nd book!
Darlene
I found this book to be boring and just couldn't torture myself more than half way thru. A man trying to write like a woman thinks. Just silly.
  • For Better, For Murder
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
  • Manna from Hades (Cornish Mystery, #1)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • The Sudoku Murder (Katie McDonald, #1)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Moonlighting In Vermont (A Bree MacGowan Mystery #1)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • A Real Basket Case (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #1)
  • Bad Faith (Sister Agatha, #1)
  • Moving is Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #1)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • Killer on a Hot Tin Roof (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery #3)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1)
Mildly celebrated author, David James divides his time between L.A. and Palm Springs handling sales of mid-century and modern homes by day, while working on spec TV scripts at night. He is extremely accomplished at folding fitted sheets.

aka David Stukas
More about David James...

Amanda Thorne Mysteries (2 books)
A Not So Model Home