Start by marking “Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse” as Want to Read:
Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse

Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse (Amanda Thorne Mysteries #1)

Location, location, location. Like any realtor worth her designer sling-backs, Amanda Thorne knows the golden rule of selling homes. Unless, of course, the prime property includes one very dead corpse…

Amanda is pretty resilient, but she’s taken a few hard knocks since she moved to plush Palm Springs. After a divorce from her husband and business partner, Alex, she’s determ
Published 2010 by Kensington Books

To ask other readers questions about Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse

Grey853
Oct 31, 2010 Grey853 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Dianne
Nov 27, 2010 Dianne rated it it was ok
Plot line was believable but the heroine's emotional responses and attitude towards men/sex fell a bit flat and slightly askew. Obvious author was a man. Perhaps he shouldn't have tried to write in first person as female?
Diane A
Apr 29, 2012 Diane A rated it liked it
Although one would think this is a cozy mystery, and in some ways it is; however, the language is not the usual for that genre. While I have no problem with occasional swear words, crass words, or tough-guy talk, I have no use for constant f-words and definitely not the c-word, that is just really insulting to any woman. If you can get past this caveat, then it's a decent mystery.
Annie
Aug 02, 2012 Annie rated it did not like it
The idea is great - but the protagonist, a female real estate agent, divorced from her gay husband whom she dearly loves, is so potty mouthed it becomes offensive after the first few pages. I kept on in hopes, but when I got to the part where she complains about another person's potty mouth, I managed not to throw up before closing the book.
Mary  (Biblophile)
I thought this was a cozy mystery, but I was sadly mistaken. Crass, four-letter speech throughout the first couple chapters. Didn't finish due to crude language and rambling passages. Don't waste your time.
Charlie
Jan 11, 2017 Charlie rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Tried to hard to be humorous and madcap.
Missy McAfee-Thornton
It had a great plot to start, but just didn't catch me.
Cathy Cole
First Line: "...and by morning I had a yeast infection that you wouldn't believe!"

Divorced from her husband and business partner, Amanda Thorne is determined to become a success in the Palm Springs, California, real estate market, even if it means being forced to deal with impossible clients who love to give her details about their yeast infections. Thanks to many celebrities like Frank Sinatra and his "Rat Pack," Mid-Century Modern architecture is big in Palm Springs, and Amanda has just the ma
Simon Mcleish
Jun 08, 2014 Simon Mcleish rated it it was ok
I debated about giving two or three stars to this book, which has some good points despite serious flaws.

It is a comic crime thriller which centres around the world of buying and selling upmarket houses in Palm Springs. The US housing market works rather differently from that of the UK, so I'm not all that familiar with the way things work, and the use of a realtor as investigator gives opportunities for places where bodies can be found (empty houses) and for the main character to use the people
Mike
Aug 09, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, reviewed
The first chapter is funny with at least two mild chuckles that escaped from my lips. That chapter was also long and hyper. I had to go take a nap before continuing, and I do not take naps.

Amanda Thorne is a woman of obsessions and repeated mention of low confidence. A successful real estate agent before she meet, married, and partnered up with the perfect man, Alex, she loses her confidence after they divorce. The book begins with Amanda attempting to land a major listing. To show she still has
Niki Sorensen
Jan 30, 2011 Niki Sorensen rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I finished reading Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse by David James a few months ago, but hedged and hawed every time I went to write a review. I really enjoyed this novel, and want to give it a 3.85. Sometimes I wish we had the option of a point system between stars, because three stars is not enough. Four stars, however, was not quite appropriate because there was one word that ruined it for me. The "c" word for women is highly offensive. I believe that this novel will be read mo ...more
Libri-Diligo
Mar 08, 2015 Libri-Diligo rated it did not like it
I bought this book new; sadly, it was not worth the expense. The protagonist, a woman, does not come across as realistic at all. Her boorish mannerisms and her tendencies towards crudeness (the continuous use of the f- and c-words) are a major turn-off. I don't mind cursing if it's in character, but this was gratuitous. The author clearly also has something against Catholics from the bashing he gives that religion throughout the book. He also makes multiple jabs at politics he doesn't agree with ...more
K
Oct 27, 2010 K rated it it was ok
I received a copy of Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse through GoodReads.com’s FirstReads giveaway program.

Let me first state that I don't know why I entered into the drawing for this book. It was a mistake. I don't read many mysteries or books that are set in modern times, and I don't know anything about real estate.

I had to put this book down at the end of chapter four, in which Amanda Thorne visits her hairdresser Roberto in order to fix her hair from a bad encounter with a cact
Meagan
Oct 24, 2012 Meagan rated it did not like it
I picked this book up at a store because it appeared to be a funny, witty book with a smattering of romance mixed into a mystery. Boy, was I wrong! This book is atrocious, with crass humor that is frequent, unnecessary and oddly spliced into the story. The heroine is flat without any development in her personality, the main lead is her gay ex-husband which she pines for the entire book, while still being "friends" with him. My favorite things about this book, were the long tirades about how it i ...more
Susan
Oct 30, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Recently divorced from her soulmate, who turned out to be gay, but is still her best friend, Palm Springs real estate woman Amanda Thorne finds the dead body of a noted environmentalist in a house she's showing. Her ex-husband, who's in business with her, helps her try to find the culprit (who would kill an environmentalist but a developer?) and the very handsome policeman in charge of the case seems responsive both to her clues and her charms. None of it is very probable, but it passes the time ...more
Darla
Oct 30, 2010 Darla rated it it was ok
Thrilled to be a First Reads winner of this book, and dove right into the book as soon as it arrived (Thank you GoodReads!). I enjoyed the ridiculous, laugh-out-loud moments of this book; struggled through coarser moments; felt there was just a lot of ebb and flow in the plausibility of this plot. I agree with other reviewers that it was obviously a male author and found the romance aspect sorely lacking. For me the best part of this story was Amanda's ex-husband Alex and their evolving relation ...more
Kaye
Nov 21, 2012 Kaye rated it really liked it
Amanda Thorne, recently divorced from the love of her life, Alex, when he came out of the closet, is trying to make it on her own as a real estate agent. However, the open house for her first big listing goes terribly wrong from the beginning. Her car won't start, she has to ride her bicycle, and she has a close encounter with a cactus, and that's just the beginning. When she arrives (late of course), impatient realtors follow her into the house only to find a dead body. I loved this book. Amand ...more
❂ Jennifer
Oct 18, 2010 ❂ Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
While the plot is a cozy, the language certainly isn't. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the plot and the humour and the author did a fine job with character development and setting, but wow! I am known to swear, and I tolerate colourful language in my books, but some of this was way beyond the pale and a lot of it seemed to be vulgar for vulgarities sake. I'm not sure that I'll read the next one or not. It was a bit rough.
Francine
Sep 14, 2014 Francine rated it did not like it
I could not manage to finish this book. Returning it to the library with no regrets. The heroine does not ring true. Her offensive language might be funny and quirky for some people but I find it is not necessary to the story. Amanda could have been hilarious and edgy, but somehow she was cheated by the author who made her cheap and difficult to like. I gave it a * because I could not get lower and the idea for the book was a good one.
Sam (Spines in a Line)
The book seemed interesting when I picked it up, and the writer does have an original way of telling the story, just his language is enough to make the book good. However there were a lot of continuity and just plain blatant errors that distracted me from reading the book. Some questions went unanswered and I never really connected with the character. Not enjoyable for me beyond the basic mystery plotline.
Helen
Aug 18, 2011 Helen rated it did not like it
The book did not hold my interest and I did not finish reading it. I read almost three fourths of the book before putting it aside. I liked Amanda at the beginning of the book but soon felt no connection to her at all. She and Alex just didn't seem very real. The stereotypical homosexual/gay references were off putting. As one of the other reviewers here put it, "the heroine's emotional responses and attitude towards men/sex fell a bit flat".
Nola Arganbright
May 28, 2015 Nola Arganbright rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I enjoyed the story however the language is somewhat crass from what I normally expect from Cozy Mysteries. The author, who is male, wrote as the female lead of the story. I enjoyed the characters and the storyline but will not recommend it to my friends due to some of the subject matter that was not necessary as part of the story.
Amy
Oct 02, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: debut, mystery-funny
A laugh out loud funny mystery! The lead "investigator" is a real estate agent who becomes a part-time sleuth when a body is found in one of her listings (houses). She has some interesting sidekicks who make life interesting!

A fantastic debut! I cannot wait for the next in the Amanda Thorne series!
Donna
Jan 22, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it
I thought this would be good since it was a cozy The lead character a female Real Estate agent. She goes to a house sale finds a dead body who is an environment person. The minor characters are all fun and very offbeat.
Amanda
Sep 21, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I really enjoyed the character dynamics in this novel.

Amanda & Alex make an amazing team!
Regina is a pip!
Knuckle sounds adorable!

I look forward to reading more about these fun, fabulous characters soon.
Jill Allison
Oct 29, 2012 Jill Allison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This definitely was not an Agatha Christie mystery. No clues to follow. Some of the dialog was laugh out loud funny, and I can see why these characters could be part of a series. As a stand alone book, however, there wasn't enough character depth.
Roseann Moss
Jun 17, 2016 Roseann Moss rated it did not like it
I never got past the second chapter. Many great mysteries in this world to read, why continue reading this book.

Too many rude, crude, sexual descriptions- gays, Catholics, nasty parents and grand parents all in the first chapter. Save your reading time and $.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was a good story ruined for me, by the constant distasteful language and the crudity with which it was used. The characters did not need to go there they were valid on their own. I do not know if I would buy a next book due to this.
Gretchen
Feb 11, 2013 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good first book in a series. Amanda and Alex get divorced because he is gay, but they remain soul mates and selling partners at a realty company. Amanda discovers a corpse in one of her listings, and they get involved in searching for the murderer.
Fran Prisco
Jun 14, 2014 Fran Prisco rated it liked it
Good story, but filthy language. I do not think that a female charactor needs to use that tupy of language.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
  • A Very Private Grave (Monastery Murders, #1)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • Shoe Done It (An Accessories Mystery #1)
  • Killer on a Hot Tin Roof (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery #3)
  • For Better, for Murder
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1)
  • Manna from Hades (Cornish Mystery, #1)
  • A Real Basket Case (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #1)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Moonlighting In Vermont (A Bree MacGowan Mystery #1)
  • Elvis And The Memphis Mambo Murders
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • The Blue Rose
  • Bad Faith (Sister Agatha, #1)
  • The Horribles
  • Moving is Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #1)
5002091
Mildly celebrated author, David James divides his time between L.A. and Palm Springs handling sales of mid-century and modern homes by day, while working on spec TV scripts at night. He is extremely accomplished at folding fitted sheets.

aka David Stukas
More about David James...

Amanda Thorne Mysteries (2 books)
  • A Not So Model Home