Start by marking “Sideshow (Arbai, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sideshow (Arbai, #3)

Sideshow (Arbai #3)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,370 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
On the planet of Elsewhere, the Council hadalways enforced the governing of each province inthe manner the people had chosen, so long as eachrespected its neighbors' local customs--and so longas the people remained within their homelands.Generations later, inhabitants have begun to questionthis tradition. The Council has receivedmysterious messages and reports of strange m ...more
Published December 9th 2009 by Spectra (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Sideshow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sideshow

Michael Battaglia
I'm either getting very contrary in my old age or I just have no idea what it is I actually like. I completely expected to hate this one based on the mixed reviews from people who were fans already, especially since I find a number of the fan-favorites . . . we'll be polite and say "somewhat grating." But once it got going it . . . wasn't bad. That's not going so far as to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it, but there were very few moments where I felt a need to get a mouthguard before I gritted m ...more
Marjorie Jensen
This book is an excellent example of how science fiction can examine diversity, (non)intervention, and transcendence. Asking questions about when to intervene and when to respect cultural differences on imaginary worlds offers the reader more perspectives than asking these questions in a realistic setting--the mind is not limited to known worlds, but is free to explore new paths. Also, having a female main character (one of a strong ensemble) who is not interested in marriage and love is importa ...more
Angela
Another excellent piece of work from Ms. Tepper. The characters make some interesting sociological comments which have bearing on today's current events. I found this exchange (slightly edited for brevity) particularly pertinent :

Bertran commented in a dry voice, "...In our world there were a number of smallish countries ruled by unpleasant types, and our country occasionally invaded one of them to set something right..."

"Killing numerous innocent bystanders in the process," snapped Nela.

"...
Delicious Strawberry
I read this after reading Grass, and was pleased to note a couple of familiar names and faces. Personally, this is one of my favorite of Ms. Tepper's works, and the commentary on religion and tolerance amidst various barbaric practices in this book make it a worthwhile read.

This book would have achieved 5 stars if it wasn't for the Tepper-style deuz ex machina that I have come to expect from her books. This one wasn't as obvious or contrived as some of her other books (Family Tree, The Visitor,
Kate
I don't know why only gave this a three star on my previous read as I was completely entranced this time around. Sideshow rounds off the Marjorie Westriding sequence of books magnificently. Tepper's idea of humanity escaping the Hobbs Land Gods because they suppressed diversity is fascinating, and the themes of intolerance masked as tolerance and religious extremism masked as human diversity are very apt for the world that we currently live in. And unlike some of the Tepper books that come after ...more
DiscoSpacePanther
This one took a lot of getting into. The first quarter is terribly slow, and it takes a long time to establish who the principal protagonist is. The rest of the book is entertaining, but the conclusion deals with trancendence in a way that felt flat to me.
Also, I found the Celerians irritating, in a Bombadil-esque way.
Chris Winters
The third part of Tepper's "Arbai" not-really-a-trilogy, and in my opinion the weakest of the three. Whereas the first two books, "Grass" and "Raising the Stones" could easily be read independently of each other (and of this one, too), without the reader losing anything, "Sideshow" presupposes a knowledge of "Raising the Stones," and one of the big reveals is contingent on having read "Grass."
That said, it's not a bad book. Picking up where "Stones" left off, then fast-forwarding several thousan
Peter
Jan 25, 2011 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Wonderful ideas story telling could be better, 5 stars on the idea and social criticism level, 3 stars on the charters who are developed and then neglected in favor of various axes which she grinds quite well
Lissa Notreallywolf
This was not one of my favorite books of Sheri S. Tepper. I was confused by the concepts she was discussing, the surgically rendered androgynous conjoined twins from the 21rst century are an interesting psychological study of privacy issues, when you share DNA and a four inch fold, one heart, etc.
The Enforcer culture is definitely sympathetic perception of individuals participating in a police state.
Elsewhere is a planet where diversity is promoted, but in a territorial way. The female conjoined
Rita	 Marie
Feb 25, 2016 Rita Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-sff
The last and the best IMHO of the Arbai (or Marjorie Westriding) trilogy, this one can be read alone or first, but there's a great deal that connects up to the prior two books, especially towards the end, all unobtrusively explained, of course. The sequence of events is not so important; one could easily read the trilogy in reverse.

In the story, the concepts of "diversity" and "non-interference" as practiced on the world of Elsewhere are not what the average reader would expect. As usual, Teppe
Isabel (kittiwake)
Elsewhere, lit by one middle-sized yellow sun and accompanied by a scattered handful of heavy little planets and moons. Elsewhere, which had been set up--so said Council Supervisory--as the last refuge of humanity from enslavement by the Hobbs Land Gods, that botanical plague that had swept across the galaxy over a millennia before, bringing, so it was said, slavish conformity in its wake.
Some of the urgency had seeped out of that claim over the centuries, during which time Elsewhere had remaine
Renee Wolcott
This, the final book in the Arbai series, was something of a disappointment. Tepper can be somewhat strident in her advocacy for a human race that has enough empathy for the rest of the universe that it stops behaving like the center of said universe. While I agree with her in principle, I sometimes wish she used a little more subtlety in her storytelling, a chisel instead of a sledgehammer. In this final volume of the Arbai trilogy, the last humans who have rejected complete empathy hide themse ...more
Claire
I only re-read this occasionally as it makes me teary at the end (in a good way). Sideshow is an indirect sequel to both Grass and Raising the Stones in that it picks up a few characters and themes from both books. I don't think that it would matter if you read it independently but your enjoyment would be enhanced by reading the other two first.
Pam Baddeley
Oct 11, 2015 Pam Baddeley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is connected with her Raising the Stones novel about the Hobb gods, and also late on features a character from 'Grass', both of which I've read earlier.

Sadly, about halfway through, she piles too many impossible things on top of each other and the book collapses for me.
Dodie Reed
May 04, 2012 Dodie Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book a little slow and almost put it down after the first few pages, but I know that Tepper is a very good writer so I decided to keep on and I'm so glad I did.

The overall sstory is about a band of "Enforcers" and their friends that are trying to find "dragons" that have been seen in a far land. They must go through several countries that have very different cultures. No one is allowed to move from one country to another because it would upset the "diversity" of the country. The En
Sara
Apr 15, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I jumped directly from "Grass" to this novel for some odd reason, but I was able to pick up the characters from the previous book.

The world-building and anthropological details in Tepper's novels continue to astound me. They are not easy reads, but are works of speculative genius.
Besha
May 03, 2011 Besha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I like Tepper a lot; The Gate to Women’s Country and Gibbon’s Decline and Fall seared themselves into my adolescent brain and I think I’m better for it. I largely agree with the moral philosophy she espouses in her writing, and she tells a damn fine story. That said, one can only take so much preaching against worst-case-scenario political correctness and cultural relativism, so many straw-man bad guys who destroy the environment and perpetrate violence upon women, so much agenda, before one sta ...more
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, military
Harry Turtledove is a great fantasy, alternate reality author. This series is an alternate reality on the United States. If you like this type of thing, this is a series for you.
Mikko Saari
Intriguing. I've read Grass years ago, so I noticed some of the references there, even though I've forgotten just about everything. Raising the Stones I've never read; perhaps that would've helped.

In any case, this was an interesting read – quite convoluted and perhaps somewhat too long, but the story did cover some fascinating philosophical ground for interventions, gods, diversity and what not. Not Tepper's best book, by far, but worth reading.
Stan Pedzick
Aug 05, 2014 Stan Pedzick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katariina
Feb 04, 2015 Katariina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Rekisteröin kirjan BookCrossing.com-sivustolla!
Beth
Jan 06, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Among other things, a really nice satire of ineffectual international organizations and cultural relativism gone way too far. You have to wonder if we would be better off going the way of the Hobbs Land Gods. The poem Tepper includes at the beginning is also interesting:

"Man

freak of fashion
and custom's s
Mary
Sep 24, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For decades I could only find the one book by Tepper Grass, but around 2002 I started to locate others and read them .... totally out of order.

Ms Tepper writes using the same characters and totally different ones; she refers to previous and later stories and also things I have not read yet (will they appear?) but the main thing I find on finishing a book like this is a sense of the best humanity can be and it's converse; although sometimes the humanity is of course displayed by an alien.
Jen Marin
Tepper makes me think. I love hert fascinating future worlds that investigate the real issues of survival that face humanity today. This book, in particular, looks at how good ideas can mutate over time into trouble and chaos. Tolerance and diversity are good values, but sometimes holding on to what makes us different than others can drive us apart rather than bring us together. Sometimes it is important to decide what parts of our past are worth hanging on to and what is worth letting go of.

If
Mary Holland
The third and weakest of the Arbai trilogy. This is the culmination of the story begun in Grass and then Raising the Stones. None of the characters are as realistic or compelling as in the first two, and the plot creaks a bit. The Siamese twins Nella and Bertram are probably the most sympathetic characters, although Fringe Owldark may be intended as a heroine. The very characteristics that make her Tepper's heroine tend to push the reader away. There are some extremely good sections, particularl ...more
Tal
Elsewhere is the only planet that hasnt been taken over by the Hobbs Land Gods. it is a planet where diversity is protected and cherished.

but...there is something wrong on Elsewhere...

an interesting read, with a predictable ending but it's really not about the end but about the journey - the interwoven stories and the careful clue-dropping. the examination of ideas such as diversity and what happens to minds trapped for too long without corporeal existance or reality's touchstones.
Ann
"Sideshow" isn't my favorite Tepper book -- it's a bit too convoluted, and the plot meanders about and doesn't quite ring true -- but it's still a pretty satisfying read, with all the requisite plot points that a Tepper novel encompasses. This is the second time I've read it; I did actually enjoy it more this time around. Next time I'll try all three of the Arbai Trilogy ("Grass," which I love, "Raising the Stones," which I don't quite remember, and "Sideshow") all in a row.
Ramoths Own
Apr 17, 2016 Ramoths Own rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was unable to put this book down. I was once again taken to another planet with connections to people and places in the earlier two volumes of this series. I loved the way that things tied together in the end in ways that I didn't see coming and feel as though I had an actual journey with the people in these books.

I am so happy to have found them.
Amanda
Jun 04, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read and re-read this so many times and never get tired of it. Love Fringe Owldark and Jorie and Asner and all the people they travel with on the great river.
Reading about a planet that is almost a museum of cultures is fascinating.
This is another of Tepper's books that fits into a giant frame, started in the novel Grass, and watching and reading closely to make the connections is fun.
Zack Hiwiller
May 07, 2013 Zack Hiwiller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While "Raising the Stones" was the best of the trilogy, I still enjoyed this quite a bit. Tepper reuses some of her plot points and can at times be a bit hand-wavy, but the societies she creates are just compelling. Unlike the first two, which were largely independent, you do need some knowledge of the events of those stories before jumping into this, even though it is set centuries later.
  • The Life of the World to Come (The Company, #5)
  • The Summer Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #3)
  • Daughter of Elysium
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Intervention (Intervention #1-2)
  • Beggars Ride (Sleepless, #3)
  • Prisoner of Conscience
  • Palace (The Pinch, #1)
  • The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2)
  • Future Games
  • Brother to Dragons
  • Bone Dance
  • Promised Land
  • The Warlock's Companion (Warlock, #8)
20560
Sheri Stewart Tepper is a prolific American author of science fiction, horror and mystery novels; she is particularly known as a feminist science fiction writer, often with an ecofeminist slant.

Born near Littleton, Colorado, for most of her career (1962-1986) she worked for Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood, where she eventually became Executive Director. She has two children and is married to Gen
More about Sheri S. Tepper...

Arbai (3 books)
  • Grass (Arbai, #1)
  • Raising the Stones (Arbai, #2)