Start by marking “The Witch Is Dead” as Want to Read:
The Witch Is Dead

The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby Mystery #5)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,460 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Life is busier than ever for witch Ophelia Jensen. In addition to her day job at the library, she--with the help of her grandmother Abby--is preparing to officially adopt Tink, the young medium she's taken under her wing. So when Ophelia's elderly Aunt Dot, eager for adventure, wants to investigate the murder of a funeral director in the neighboring town, Ophelia tries to ...more
Published August 28th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch Is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch Is Dead

Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*

The Ophelia and Abby series attempts to embrace quirky characters as it's shining draw. To be honest the elderly Abby never worked for me as a convincing quirky character - there's something about her that can irritate or overwhelm. She's charming and she's wise, but she's a little cliche. We now have an aunt introduced, her sister from the mountains, and even if she is cliche as well, she works much better as a quirky player.

She downright amused me with her eagerness to jump into the crime-sol
I love Shirley Damsgaard’s cast. In an odd paradox: her narrative is too visually-inclined for my taste, including over-used verbs that I loathe. Notwithstanding, I enjoy the premise! Previously Ophelia rescued a child from a cult and wishes to adopt Tink / Titania. We saw her acclimatized to Iowa life, in a mystery fraught with danger. This time, a large portion of the novel felt lacklustre; even though I approved Ophelia’s avoidance of a police investigation. It would have pushed a ‘cozy myste ...more
⊱ Irena ⊰
2.5 (I can't blame the book because someone told almost everything in the blurb)
The kidnapping mentioned in the blurb doesn't happen until half way into the story. Half! Also, the part of the blurb which mentions a creepy crematorium owner and an invasion from some modern-day body snatchers is also too much information. There was only one thing which was not mentioned in the blurb and even that was predictable.
One of Abby's aunts is visiting and the woman can't hide anything. She basically tells
Jeanie Jackson
I like the addition of Tink and would love to read more about the DEA Agent. Missed book four; I didn't want to wait to read this one anyway. I enjoyed it but was irritated that Ophelia did not respect ...'s feelings. She has proven herself astute at reading people and has been a great help in the past.

I like that Ophelia is realizing when she gets off as she did in the first rune reading. At first I thought, "Oh, come one now," but once she caught herself interpreting them the way she wanted, I
Diane ~Firefly~
Ophelia's stubbornness and inability to believe is starting to get old. You'd think she'd be willing to try anything to save Tink.

What I enjoyed:
* Aunt Dot. She was a hoot.
* Ethan. I wish he'd been around for more of the book.

What could have been better:
* The book was practically shouting the answer and Ophelia managed to ignore it as usual.
* Ophelia. For a hereditary witch with a medium daughter, she is sure reluctant to believe anything outside her realm of knowledge. In fact, the books should
I love reading about new characters with powers. Abby's Aunt Dot comes to visits and she wants to have "an adventure" AKA "solve a crime". Aunt Dot's power? Seeing and talking to fairies. She is funny. Aunt Dot meets a nice funeral director on the plane and the next day he was killed. Aunt Dot wants on the case. The Sherif tells Ophelia to stay out of it. Later on Tink gets kidnapped. A friend from the last book comes to help and I was so excited about it!
Shirley Damsgaard did it again. This book is wonderful. I love Ophelia and Abby. These books are so good. This is the second one I’ve read, I’m looking forward to reading the entire series. Highly recommended.
How can you make Ophelia Jensen's life just a little more insane? Add Aunt Dot, who sees fairies, an undercover DEA agent, a pending adoption of her foster daughter tink, and a human skull found in the woods. Yep, Ophelia is once again around for the finding of a dead body.

In this fifth installment of the series, we are introduced to Abby's Aunt Dot, who comes to visti from the Appalachia area in the homes of finding some adventure. Does she ever. This is a wacky, 90 some year old woman who is a
Angie Lisle
Shirley Damsgaard has carved a new niche in the market: Appalachian Paranormal Fiction! Being a West Virginia gal, I love how Appalachia figures into the books without all the negative stereotyping that usually goes along with it!

I always have problems getting started with Shirley Damsgaard's books. But once I make it past the first couple of chapters, I fall in love with the characters again (and again). I am sucked in by the storyline and I have a very hard time putting the book down.

I love
"The Witch is Dead" is part of the Ophelia and Abby mysteries. This is the only one of them that I've read. Even though it is the 6th book in the series, I had no problem figuring out what was going on. It's always nice when authors manage to write stand-alone books.

I found Damsgaard's writing pretty good. She kept the action coming and her characters, especially Aunt Dot, likeable. The baddies were not a given from the start. As I'm one of those terrible people who reads the last few pages righ
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
The fifth book in this remarkable series did not disappoint me in the least. Ms. Damsgaard managed to grow the characters and move the series forward with a solid murder mystery. I especially enjoyed having the main character, Ophelia Jensen, showing true emotions and blurting out the families secrets to the two men that would handle the news properly!

Ophelia, Abby (grandmother,)and Tink (Foster Child) are eagerly awaiting Auntie Dot. Auntie Dot's 'talent' is a hoot and no, I'm not going to tell
It's been almost 4 years since I last read anything in this series and, quite frankly, I remember ... not much of what came before. There was possibly a summer camp. Or maybe it was a beach cottage. Or... a cabin? No, that doesn't seem right. The point I'm trying to make is that I vaguely remember the characters. You know, if I tilt my head and squint. I mean, I did remember that Abby was Ophelia's grandma and Ophelia had rescued Tink from some very bad goings on but beyond that ... *deer in the ...more
Book 5 of this series! In this one, wacky Aunt Dot who sees faries that no one else can and enjoys her very strong homemade wine shows up for a visit but wants an adventure in the form of solving a mystery. Ophelia is preparing to adopt Tink who is fighting with controlling her own gift.

Tink's puppy, TP, brings her a skull, she has visions of ghosts begging for help and then finally she is kidnapped.

This book, while still a mystery, seems to be more character development than anything. Ophelia
I enjoyed the book. I liked the fact that the magic was kept pretty simple which made it almost believable. I pretty much predicted the ending though and there were several typos in the book which I found distracting. I normally don't read book series out of sequence but my friend gave me this one. I'm not sure if I will go out of my way to read more books in the series.
Ophelia, Abby, Darci and Tink are up to their happy small town routine and trying not to get into trouble, when Aunt Dot comes to town for a visit. Upon arrival, she promptly informs them that she is there for an adventure. Ophelia is heartly hoping Aunt Dot doesn't get her adventure because the last few have nearly killed her, Tink's just trying to be a teenager, and Abby and Darci are amused by Aunt Dot talking about her fairies.

Bumbling psychic messages, a hinky date, a new assistant librari
Teri Stich
I like these books, quick, easy reads. Filled with quirky characters. Though I will admit I would like to smack Ophelia up side the head from time to time. For someone who is suppose to be so smart, (she runs a library for pete's sake) she sure can be dense. I realize the author is trying to set the stage but at the same time couldn't she give her characters a bit more instinctive smarts? I do love Aunt Dot, I think she was my favorite of the characters. She at least seems to understand the “Gi ...more
I liked this one better than the others I've read. Halfway through I considered giving up when Tink was kidnapped and none of the psychics could figure out the culprit. She wasn't quite hiding in plain sight (as I originally thought) but acting through a third party. I kept reading to see how the other occurrences fit together.(view spoiler)

What I really liked was the change in Ophelia from distant and aloof to an emotional virago confronting those she thinks are beh
I liked the idea of bringing in more of Abby's family to round out the characters. Personally I find Abby more interesting than Ophelia. I hope someday Damsgaard writes about Abby's life when she was a young woman. Aunt Dot is so hilarious. Lots of funny scenes in the book. I still wonder why after all that Ophelia has experienced & seen she's still skeptical about supernatural things like Aunt Dot's fairies. Ophelia's getting better at learning her lessons but she's still very dense in my o ...more
Kelly Russell
Another good Ophelia & Abby book, well written like the others. I like the recurring Ethan character, maybe a good match for Ophelia. The only critism, is that with the introductions of new characters the villian is becoming obvious. Will read the last two books no less, as they are an entertaining read with some great information.
Loved it! A great adventure and magical escape! Write more Shirley!
Considering that this book features two witches, a medium, and an old lady who can talk to fairies, the supernatural elements were not overplayed, and served as a quirky backdrop to a solid, well-paced mystery. I found the ending a bit rushed, and Ophelia consistently failed to suspect a RIDICULOUSLY SUSPICIOUS supporting character, which got frustrating. I'd like to go back and read the first 4 books in the series, as their plot points came up frequently in this installment.
Ophelia and her grandmother Abby are back at it but this time Abby's aunt is there to help stir the pot. At 91 she decides since she is on vacation she should have an adventure. Ophelia is in the process of adopting Tink but her dreams are scaring her and then her dog T.P. scrounges up a human skill. With Darci sending out on a speed dating set up Ophelia doesn't want an adventure but Tink goes missing and Ethan/Cobra pops up just in time to help in the search.
This series gets better and better. Ophelia's great Aunt Dot, a 90-something year-old witch that talks to fairies comes to visit looking for adventure. Ophelia, who is gearing up to adopt teenage Tink, isn't interested but somehow Aunt Dot gets her involved in investigating the gruesome murder of the local funeral director. Then Tink is kidnapped and it become very personal. I can't get enough of this cozy mystery series with a hint of the occult!
These are easy readers - brain candy - but fun. Ok, the books are starting to annoy me. I suppose while I was originally caught up in a book where all of the main characters are female, with an easy read and an interesting story line, I am over it. I dislike that the women solve their mysteries through the use of gifts instead of their skills and intellect.

That all being said, I will probably continue to read the series....
Hometown Iowa girl makes good! Shirley Damsgaard hails from southwest Iowa, about 45 minutes from where I grew-up, so it's fun for me to see her published! While her books focus on hocus pocus, it's obvious that she comes from a Danish background. Her books are complete with references to 'stubborn Danes' and runes!!! She can't go wrong with a heroine with the last name of JENSEN!
Holly Booms Walsh
I have a weakness for books about librarians, witches, and eccentric relatives, so this was a fun read. It's more satisfying to read the books in this series because you care about the characters more over "time". Enjoyable light reading, sort of Kim Harrison lite, or Fannie Flagg meets paranormal fiction. I'll be reading the rest of the series, but only as loans from the library.
Heather Z
This series is a lot of fun to read. We're introduced to Aunt Dot in this book and Cobra/Ethan returns as well. Aunt Dot is a hoot. I hope to see more of her in future books. I also like the dynamic between Ophelia and Ethan. I realize the series is about Ophelia embracing who she is, but I'd like to see her find some romance in her life too.
Another Witchy book I found at a secondhand store. I am forced to buy them. I now want to read more because this is a very modern take on the Cozy Mystery, which I liked! I also appreciated the Use of Runes and the Ritual descriptions. I even took some Notes ! Imagine that ? This Old Witch gets more ideas from fiction these days.
  • Hex Marks the Spot (A Bewitching Mystery, #3)
  • The Chick and the Dead (Pepper Martin, #2)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Larceny And Lace (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #2)
  • A Cast-Off Coven (A Witchcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Under a Mystic Moon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #3)
  • Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #3)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Angel's Advocate (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #2)
I’ve read many bios that start with the words “I wanted to be a writer all of my life and wrote my first story at the age of five.” I honestly can’t say that’s true for me—at the age of five, as an only child growing up on a farm, my career goal was to be a princess. Unfortunately, all those positions happened to be filled, so I followed the path so many other women have traveled—marriage, childre ...more
More about Shirley Damsgaard...

Ophelia & Abby Mystery (7 books)
  • Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby, #1)
  • Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2)
  • The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3)
  • Witch Hunt (Ophelia & Abby, #4)
  • The Witch's Grave (Ophelia & Abby, #6)
  • The Seventh Witch (Ophelia & Abby, #7)

“Ah, yes, tea. Our family's first line of defense when meeting a disaster.” 0 likes