Start by marking “The Seventh Heaven: Supernatural Tales” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Heaven: Supernatural Tales

The Seventh Heaven: Supernatural Tales

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Egyptian Nobel laureate Naguib Mahfouz draws on his homeland’s rich engagement with the afterlife–and his own near-death experience at the hands of a would-be assassin–in these newly translated, brilliantly mysterious stories of the supernatural.

Among those who haunt these tales are the ghosts of Akhenaten, Woodrow Wilson, and Gamal Abd al-Nasser, who endure a strange syst
Published February 10th 2010 by Anchor (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seventh Heaven

Deviant Geek
This novel captures you even when you're on your guard I was taken in by the first page. And it became one of my favorites in the 11th.
Not only this novel is full of wisdom. It's witty and makes you think (in a good way!) I have often stopped to contemplate the lines, the words and thoughts behind this masterpiece. And every time I reach va conclusion I realized that I had nothing after all.
I found it very amusing. You laugh and think while flipping this hungrily to know what comes next. It wa
Murtaza
Mahfouz is an amazing novelist, one of the greatest ever, so my complaint is not with him but with the way this compendium has been made. The selection of stories is not the best (with the exception of the first one), and I feel like some of them don't deliver on the "supernatural" claims of the title. Read Mahfouz's novels, a better experience.
Andrés
I had originally thought of giving two stars to this collection of short stories, but after further reflection realized that because of their sheer pointlessness and lack of imagination they had earned a single star. Even the headline short story, "They Seventh Heaven," which makes an attempt at a plot and some sort of meaning, is ultimately uninteresting. The author is not telling me something profound by putting the souls of historical figures into the bodies of common people and a feeble atte ...more
Mick
Awesome collection of stories. Hard to pick one personal favorite.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Rather dissapointing. Some of the stories are repetitive, and others seem to have a decent-enough premise for a middling Twilight Zone episode, but are tossed off without much development and they're all a little obvious and moralistic. The only one which really stood out for me was the one about a lady who checks into a hotel room and starts having more guests over than could imaginably fit in, I forget the title. That was refreshingly bizzare, with a very effective transition from apparent nor ...more
Aron
A short taste of short stories from Mahfouz from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I'm struck by The Haunted Woods, A Man of Awesome Power, and mostly Room No. 12, which I really want to discuss with someone. The jacket says supernatural stories and there are plenty of skeletons and ghosts and angels and spiritual guides to heaven. I find plenty of class, religion, and politics as well. These are fable/parables that are more accessible, political Borges stories to me.
Julie Rowe
I only disliked that these were short stories and not full fledged books of their own. I loved the imagery, and all the differing styles, as well as all the possible views of what the afterlife holds.
Loren
I really enjoyed many of these stories. My favorite by far is "Beyond the Clouds," followed by "The Seventh Heaven" itself. However, there were a few I didn't care for at all. This may be a result of my own lapses of understanding, but there were about three or four that didn't speak to me at all.
Ada Rahman
my very first taste of the author. some of the tales left me stupefied. tak tercapai akalku. 'the seventh heaven' is the longest, and i liked it the most.
Karl Steffey
Jun 21, 2009 Karl Steffey marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, owned
The Seventh Heaven: Supernatural Tales by Naguib Mahfouz (2006)
Hamad
May 05, 2007 Hamad rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Good read, but didnt drive me to re-read.
Azza
Azza marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Ahmed Ibrahim
Ahmed Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Farah Nada
Farah Nada marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
987643467881 marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Lubinka Dimitrova
Lubinka Dimitrova marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
غَــدِيــرٌ
غَــدِيــرٌ marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Hager Gǿgŏ
Hager Gǿgŏ marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Mariouma Zeinouba
Mariouma Zeinouba marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
  • منتصف الليل
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Volume 3
  • The Knowledge Book: Everything You Need to Know to Get By in the 21st Century
  • Beer in the Snooker Club
  • Russian Short Stories from Pushkin to Buida (Penguin Classics)
  • Distant View of a Minaret and Other Stories
  • Piano Stories
  • The Book on Fire
Naguib Mahfouz (Arabic author profile: نجيب محفوظ) was an Egyptian writer who won the 1988 Nobel Prize for Literature. He published over 50 novels, over 350 short stories, dozens of movie scripts, and five plays over a 70-year career. Many of his works have been made into Egyptian and foreign films.
More about Naguib Mahfouz...
أولاد حارتنا الحرافيش Palace Walk حديث الصباح والمساء Midaq Alley