Start by marking “Encore Effect” as Want to Read:
Encore Effect

Encore Effect

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Whether you want to win that new account or inspire your family and friends, bestselling author and acclaimed speaker Mark Sanborn shows us how to make every performance count.
Every day, we are called to perform- at work, at home, in our communities. But is it possible to make every performance outstanding, the kind that leaves people applauding for an encore?
Mark Sanbor
Published September 2nd 2008 by Broadway Business (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Encore Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encore Effect

Berke
Read this in a day. Was a very concise novel/to do list that told you what to do in order to attain remarkable performance and eventually success. Mark Sanborn also complemented his suggestions with multiple examples that demonstrated exemplary performance. No matter your position you can reach the encore effect by finding what you love. Developing and practicing it. Finally mastery will follow and you will be able to showcase your prowess.

Even a simple baker can have encore performance.
Steve Weber
Mark has done it again. Straightforward advice written in a way that is easy to understand. Imagine comparing every action and interaction that you take with a stage performance. Do others applaud your performance and want more from you or are your performances simply noted (or forgotten). Mark give lots of examples and ideas for the reader to use and that can be put into practice right now to increase their ability to perform genuinely. He also makes clear the need for incremental behavioral ch ...more
Paul
This is a decent, but short book on perform better in life. Mark Sanborn is a very good motivational speaker and has written multiple books. His philosophy is that everything in life is a performance and the we should strive to create an "encore effect" in all of our endeavors. Throughout the book he discusses things like preparation and practice that set performances apart and leave the audience wanting more. He also discusses some of the things that keep us from performing at our highest level ...more
Sharon
I can't say this was the most original work that I have ever read, but that is often the case in this genre of business/self-help and a little bit of the kitchen sink. Regardless, I am always looking for some small insights to apply to daily professional and personal tasks as well as to recommend some light yet useful reads to my students. I added this to the quick-read shelf since I finished it in less than two hours. There are a few mantras here penned by the Denver author and business consult ...more
Derek
Good, quick read. He states the purpose at the beginning and does provide some brief and useful reminders to keep pushing on the path. Some examples are a little weak or small scale, but not many are courageous enough to go small and dig into the little things that "common people" do. Well done.
Jim Serger
What a great little book about why people invite us back--back where though? It is why people are given pay raises, why people are asked to come over again for cook outs, why people are asked again to give speeches, it is a little known secret that when people are invited up/over there is something special about them--that is what I gained from this book. Think of it as stated in book,what is the best concert you have ever been to, and did they come back out and play an ENCORE? If yes, then that ...more
Stacy Beck
I liked the message in the book that only %5 of the population really give life their all, plus some. When you see someone that does, whether at work, in your family, church, etc. you autimatically just want more of the person. They are genuine to themselves and others. They are happy people to watch or be with. It doesn't matter weather your a judge, dr., plumber, cook, or stay-at-home mom, we can all give a perfomance that makes people want to be around us.
Alejandro Luciano
Some Great Lessons on creating that "Encore Effect"
Desiree
"Until you find your purpose, continue to do things purposefully, with energy and intention...then sometimes the purpose will emerge."

"A person who has never failed is a person who has never tried."

"The point of every remarkable performance is to move people in a positive way..."

Great read, definitely recommended, especially for the winter doldrums....
Lisa C
Like so many of these self-help styled books, the whole work could have been summed up in a detailed outline. Although it served to offer a useful kick in the pants and provide some worthy reminders, on the whole, I learned nothing and got little out of it past the first few chapters.
Ruth Young
This is an book for those who are seeking to develop themselves personally and professionally. The free on-line assessment was a real awakeneing. This is certainly a must read for those who dare to come face to face with themselves!
Marc Bowers
Thanks to Mark Sanborn I now know how to provide remarkable performances in everything I do. He provides a full proof plan for helping you being "average" and take you to the next level.
Thomas C.
Excellent Book. This book tells us that anyone in any position should seek an encore. Encores are not just reserved for those in the performing arts.
Jamie
An easy read, but offers a unique perspective into performance and how to deliver a consitently stellar performance in all facets of life.
Diane
Short and sweet. It is a good reminder of how to function in todays society. I really liked the way it was laid out.
Aida C.
A very short book but with very valuable information on better performance personally and profesionally.
Jen
I was inspired by this book to be better. Loved the concepts.
Tim Plett
I liked the book. Sure it's simple but it moved me.
Drew Weatherton
Nothing revolutionary, but not a bad read.
Steelman
Inspiring in some areas, decent in others.
Luke
Luke is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
heather
heather marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Patrick Thompson
Patrick Thompson marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
LaTisha
LaTisha marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Barb Bonetti
Barb Bonetti marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • Mastering the Seven Decisions That Determine Personal Success: An Owner's Manual to the New York Times Bestseller, the Traveler's Gift
  • Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • Flight Plan: The Real Secret of Success
  • The Secret: What Great Leaders Know - And Do
  • Three Feet from Gold: Turn Your Obstacles Into Opportunities!
  • Monday Morning Choices: 12 Powerful Ways to Go from Everyday to Extraordinary
  • Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!
  • حکایت دولت و فرزانگی
  • Attitude Is Everything: 10 Life-Changing Steps to Turning Attitude Into Action
  • One Word That Will Change Your Life
  • If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight?: Tools to Get It Done
  • Making Vision Stick
  • Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun
  • A Simpler Way
  • The Housing Boom and Bust
Mark Sanborn is an international known author, motivational speaker, and the president of Sanborn & Associates, Inc., an idea studio for leadership development. He gives nearly one hundred presentations each year on leadership, team building, customer service, and mastering change. Mark and his family live near Denver, Colorado.
More about Mark Sanborn...
The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference The Fred Factor Fred 2.0: New Ideas on How to Keep Delivering Extraordinary Results Up, Down, or Sideways: How to Succeed When Times Are Good, Bad, or in Between

“Don't confuse activity with action.” 2 likes