Start by marking “By Any Greens Necessary: A Revolutionary Guide for Black Women Who Want to Eat Great, Get Healthy, Lose Weight, and Look Phat” as Want to Read:

The first vegan guide geared to African American women

More than forty delicious and nutritious recipes highlighted with color photographs

Menus and advice on transitioning from omnivore to vegan

Resource information and a comprehensive shopping list for restocking the fridge and pantry

African American women are facing a health crisis: Heart disease, stroke, and diab
Published May 1st 2010 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about By Any Greens Necessary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Any Greens Necessary

Stephanie Alishia
Jan 29, 2012 Stephanie Alishia rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was really an eye opening book on the state of health of Black women in America. It is sad to realize that many of us see diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. are inevitable. This is not the case and rather than keeping ourselves in a perpetual state of being drugged to fix our bad health why not change the way you eat and your perspective on food? I found the film "Forks Over Knives" to be a really good follow-up to the book as well.
Donna
Aug 06, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Very informative book and everyone should be aware of the processing of our food in the USA, It is a HARD look at what we put in our bodies. I read this because I'm making huge changes in my own food choices. Will I go VEGAN? Not sure, but vegetarian is a goal for sure. I am making this journey with a friend of mine and we are committed to gradually making the changes.
Clare
Dec 13, 2012 Clare rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
I admit - I just liked the first part of the title "By Any Greens Necessary" and didn't read past the part where it says... "for Black Women Who Want to Eat Great, Get Healthy, Lose Weight, and Look Phat."

I am white, 36, and terrified of looking fat. (No matter how it's spelled!) So my husband raised one single hairy eyebrow when he saw me reading this book.

The title doesn't tell you it's a vegan cookbook, but that's why I chose it. There are one or two recipes in here I'd like to try out, but
Jo'ie
Apr 28, 2014 Jo'ie rated it liked it
I thought it was funny that she ends the book with a quick note not to get self-righteous and it was exactly how I felt she was during the first few chapters of this book. It read sometimes like a literature review as she spends a lot of time quoting other books and articles but overall I felt that it was full of useful information if you are considering a vegan lifestyle. I picked up this book as I am in the mist of a raw vegan challenge (28 days of raw vegan meals) and wanted more information. ...more
Chavonne
Jul 31, 2011 Chavonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: "Future" Vegans
I loved this book! I picked it up because I thought the title was cute and wanted to read something more tailored to Black vegans (or almost-vegans, rather). It was well-written and had incredible recipes. We even tried one last night (Pepper "Steak", so good!). The data was backed up by research and sound advice. It was a nice, quick read, too, and I finished it in about a day.

Recently, Kalem and I felt more and more compelled to adopt a vegan lifestyle and this book helped convince me of more
K AKUA GRAY
Apr 20, 2016 K AKUA GRAY rated it really liked it
If you are working on transitioning to a healthier eating lifestyle, becoming a vegetarian or better yet a vegan, then this book is a great read. Tracye Lynn McQuirter covers the essentials in educating yourself on the benefits of eliminating animal flesh and incorporating more fresh fruits, vegetables, grains and plant-based proteins.

The scope is excellent for beginners with a range that covers cultural eating habits, a thorough perspective on the protein myth, through the gamuts of meat proces
Monique
May 23, 2012 Monique rated it liked it
Book was packed with information but was over the top against eating animals. The resources, books, and websites were helpful but I can do a google search for those. The recipes and photos of dishes were limited as this is more a book about why you should be vegan than a cookbook. At times (while reading) I felt like I was being punished by my mother because I still eat meat...guess I'm guilty as charged. This meat eater is all about eating healthy but I'm still taking baby steps...Does drinking ...more
Marion Simmons
Dec 29, 2011 Marion Simmons rated it it was ok
The book is ok. I was researching plant based diets in order to lower my cholesterol and came across this book. The book has a few recipes that are useful. The vast majority of the book presents numerous reasons why a person should be a vegan. To me it overdid it with the examples. It went on and on about the gross conditions in slaughter houses, and poultry farms etc. To me it went over board. Some of the recipes were helpful with a little bland. I do use some of the recipes but I found myself ...more
Kat
Mar 15, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
I read this book in a day. She did go a bit overboard on the animal cruelty. I'm already a vegetarian so the chapters on meat seemed kind of over dramatic. I do still eat fish and cheese (no milk) so those chapters were kind of enlightening for me. I did not try her recipes. I've read so many books on why sugar carbs and cooked food is bad for you that I just couldn't agree with her support for multi grain, sweet potatoes, and corn. I think raw foods sre best but All in all it was pretty good re ...more
Barb
Jan 23, 2013 Barb rated it it was amazing
I liked this book a lot. She gives some good arguments that's backed up by credible sources to go vegan in a way that's loving but a "let's get real" sense. She gives some recipes that look and sound really good. If I wasn't a vegetarian already, I'd probably want to be or deeply consider being one after reading this book. I kinda wished she addressed how to survive being a vegan/vegetarian when you have a tight budget though. Other than that, I would recommend this book to anyone, particularly ...more
Lauren
Jul 13, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
Excellent book for a beginner like myself (i.e. black identified woman, looking to change her poor but culturally inherited eating habits). McQuirter breaks down why being a vegan is a viable option for those looking to change their life via eating. McQuirter even shares that she too had issues switching from being a meat eater to a vegan. It's a quick and fast read with excellent recipes and resources.
I'm inspired and look forward to my day to cook for my roommates, now that I have some new re
Larisha
Sep 13, 2013 Larisha rated it it was amazing

McQuirter's book is packed with information but was over the top against eating animals.

Very informative book and everyone should be aware of the processing of our food in the USA. It is a HARD look at what we put in our bodies. I read this because I'm making huge changes in my own food choices. Will I go VEGAN? Not sure, but vegetarian is a goal for sure. I am committed to gradually making the changes.
Evelyn
Oct 27, 2010 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: considering a vegan diet
Awesome book and well written!

This book helped me get on the right track of vegan living. If you want to learn more about how your food gets to the store and then to your table, then check out this book. This book inspired me to more than ever to stick with eating a plant-based diet (vegan). You will be inspired!
Trish
May 23, 2012 Trish rated it liked it
Down-to-earth, accessible presentation of plant-based nutrition. Eye-opening information on the "farming" of poultry, livestock, fish. I particulary appreciate the focus on health issues prevalent among African American women and men.
Khalilah
Jun 08, 2012 Khalilah rated it really liked it
I did not want to eat meat or really anything after this book. A book that offers one person's reasons for becoming vegan and its benefits.
Adrienne
Aug 14, 2013 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
A MUST READ for every race, but especially African Americans. This book has inspired me to try the vegan lifestyle after being a vegetarian for more than a year now.
Drvelonda
Sep 16, 2010 Drvelonda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A good reference book for us health promotion entrepreneurs!
Eboni
Jan 14, 2012 Eboni rated it liked it
Little preachy (I've found very few vegan books that aren't- suggestions any one?) but overall a helpful read.
UrbanWildflower
Mar 08, 2013 UrbanWildflower rated it liked it
Nothing new or earth shaking here but I enjoyed her perspectives about her journey. Good recipes too.. I have already made the carrot salad (out of this world) and the arroz verde.
Teresa Hill
Jul 22, 2011 Teresa Hill rated it really liked it
So far it's keeping me interested, personal stories are good & mentions other books and resources.
Keisha R
Sep 26, 2013 Keisha R rated it really liked it
It was a great read. Recipes galore and I loved hearing about her experience getting to a vegan lifestyle.
Rosalyn Brown
Feb 22, 2013 Rosalyn Brown rated it it was amazing
Very informative
Chardae
Dec 15, 2014 Chardae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any one who wants to be healthier.
This book was truly an eye opener! I have not transitioned to vegan just yet but I get closer each day.
Denise Williams
Apr 10, 2013 Denise Williams rated it it was amazing
This jump start my year and also helped me make the decision to become a vegetarian. A great reference book for the journey and once it becomes a lifestyle change.
Deborrah Cooper
Deborrah Cooper rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Toren Boyce
Toren Boyce rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Nateisha  Bates
Nateisha Bates rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Opal
Opal rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
IAM_ALICIAMARIA
IAM_ALICIAMARIA rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Maria Cunningham
Maria Cunningham rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Vegan Cooking & C...: By Any Greens Necessary, by Tracye Lynn McQuirter 1 10 Dec 28, 2012 08:19AM
  • Heal Thyself: For Health and Longevity
  • The Hood Health Handbook: A Practical Guide to Health and Wellness in the Urban Community: 1
  • Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness: The Complete Guide to Building Your Body on a Plant-Based Diet
  • Sistah Vegan: Food, Identity, Health, and Society: Black Female Vegans Speak
  • Birthing a Slave: Motherhood and Medicine in the Antebellum South
  • Being Vegan
  • The Thrive Diet
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • The World Peace Diet: Eating for Spiritual Health and Social Harmony
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • Handbook to Higher Consciousness
  • Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet
  • Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real People in the Real World
  • Christianity Before Christ
  • Melanin: What Makes Black People Black
  • The Persistence of the Color Line: Racial Politics and the Obama Presidency
Tracye Lynn McQuirter, a nutritionist who leads worldwide seminars on vegan nutrition, has been featured in dozens of media, including Essence, the Washington Post, and Black Press USA. A 20-year vegan and a former contributing writer for Heart and Soul, the largest health-and-fitness magazine for African American women, McQuirter founded the Black Vegetarian Society of New York, directed the nati ...more
More about Tracye Lynn McQuirter...