Start by marking “Welcome to Higby” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Higby

Welcome to Higby

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Welcome to Higby follows the hilarious goings-on in a small town in northern Mississippi over Labor Day weekend. The weaving of narratives brings us Stewie Kipp and Marci Luck, whose love for one another has grown stale as Stewie's faith becomes impertinent; Carmen Valentine and Euless Ludlam, whose shared debilitating shyness threatens to derail a relationship that has ha...more
Published October 8th 2009 by M P Publishing Ltd. (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Higby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Higby

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Well-loved books from my past

Rating: 3.8* of five

The Publisher Says: Touchstone's trade paper edition has this description, which seems to me to give a better flavor of the book than MacAdam/Cage's short line:
Following the national success of Ella Minnow Pea,this second novel from Mark Dunn brings the same charm and love of good language to a small town in the South. A Robert Altmanesque comedy,Welcome to Higby follows the hilarious goings-on in a small town in northern Mississippi over Labor D
Carolyn Barry
Southern novel: 25 eccentric characters. Many crises of faith, love, health, and finances. Very well written, but the format gets old. WE ARE NOT ALL CRAZY DOWN HERE!
Angie
I can't decide if I kinda loved this book or kinda hated it LOL. It wasn't nearly as clever or captivating as Ella Minnow Pea, but it was a mostly enjoyable read. It was quirky with a great cast of characters. The short chapters made for quick, interesting reading. I couldn't ever quite put my finger on what bugged me about the book. I think it had something to do with the fluid nature of relationships and the extremely quick "I love yous". Also in the beginning of the book there was some little...more
Kelly
Loved, loved, loved it. Had to laugh out loud at several points. Quirky characters.
Story of a small town over a Labor day weekend. You just never know from one moment to the next.
If you like Fannie Flagg, you will like it.
Marnie
I can't even express how disappointed I am in this book. I LOVED his first book, Ella Minnow Pea. I thought it was so clever and unique. And this, Welcome to Higby, is just terrible. There is nothing interesting about Higby. If you were to go there, you'd drive right through.

The descriptions of this book talk about it being hysterical. I haven't even smiled or chuckled once while reading. I'll read something and think, "I think I'm supposed to think this is one of those hysterical things" but t...more
Diane
Judi
"Because these last few hours had changed him forever. In the company of a fellow traveler Stewie had found God--- a different God--- one he had never known existed. A God removed from clumsy human projections and self-serving interpretations. A God unfathomable beyond the one simple truth acknowledged by all the religions of the world: God equals love. A generous love. A love without specifications."

I did not love this like I did ELLA MINNOW PEA -- but it is still very good. My review opens wit...more
Kris
Nice story about a town of folks - all nice - no villains. Who are trying to cope, some of issues of faith.
Teresa
Set in the deep south where time feelsl ike it stands still, but where the personalities run deep and wide. Loads of fun.
This book occurs over the course of a holiday weekend in Higby. I liked the small town feel and the way that each character was interwoven into the story of other characters (as happens frequently in a small town). I enjoyed the characters but the plot is 'just a bunch of stuff that happened.'

It's an "english class" book with lots of discussion topics to be brought up in class...and I hate those. Maybe I'm softening to them though, because I did like the way the story began at the water tower a...more
I've read 2 other books by Mark Dunn - "Ella Minnow Pea" and "Zounds!". I absolutely loved "ELMNOP" and was entertained by "Z!". This book wasn't as good. I enjoyed it more at the beginning but got a bit bored and anxious to finish by the end. Dunn takes a small Mississippi town and gives the reader a 3 day experience in the town by following about 20 characters (It has a Garrison Keller feel: describing a small town of odd people). It just didn't grab me like I was hoping despite some really fu...more
Cheryl
not as good as Ella Minnow Pea but lovely nonetheless
Kelly
Call me a snob for saying this, but I think a person has to be an intelligent reader to get this book and his book Ibid. Ella Minnow Pea is accessible by all. I also think that if a person does not have a general knowledge of the Bible, the humor in this book will not be appreciated. The quotations from the Bible match the story and all that is going on. The humor is outrageous and quirky, but the message is quite serious. Dunn is obviously a modern day satirist. He used dialog well with the cha...more
Joanna
While I didn't love this the way I loved Ella Minnow Pea, I found it highly enjoyable. The wacky cast and conversational tone felt a little like Christopher Moore, but with less sarcasm and no demons or other fantasy beings. The book is really a bunch of short chapters each telling a small story about one of the residents of Higby, Mississippi over one Labor Day weekend. Despite the narrow time frame and location, the book was compelling and the characters came to life.
Abby
Small southern town with quircky charchters. I love Mark Dunn's ability to tell a story. This time each chapter is told from a different person had an encounter from the pervious person. Its like passing a dime and watching the different stories. Very fun format to read. Ella Minow Pea was one of my favorite novels. Novels more with the format style like welcome to Higby, although minus the humor, call to mind Winesburg Ohio and As I Lay Dying.
Hannah
I would recommend another work by Dunn, Ella Minnow Pea, but not this novel. The characters that inhabit the story were not people I cared to get to know, and did not improve upon closer acquaintance. They were not even people I could sympathize with in their flaws. In the book's defense, I was very young when I read it the first time, and I might feel differently about the characters now.
I was excited to read this book after loving Ella Minow Pea, but this was a huge disappointment. The begining was good but as it wore on it just stagnated and was trully slow and boring. I really didn't care how the characters lives turned out. This story is basically about 15+ characters and their boring lives in a boring town.
Kara
If you liked "Ella Minnow Pea" don't read this one, it will taint your good feelings for this author. After about 100 pages of weirdness, things just continued going downhill with the introduction of a bunch of sex. Don't bother with this one, I'm definitely finished with it. I'm just glad we didn't pick it for book club =).
Marvin
One of the genre of books (like the Tall Pine Polka book I read a while back) set in a small town w/o much plot, but mostly designed just to introduce you to a wide range of eccentric small-town folk. This was mildly entertaining, with some superficial reflections on religion, but not very substantive.
Jessica Williamson
Fast and easy read. A good novel to follow a serious or "heavy" read. The novel read a little too much like a romance novel for my liking as each character is obsessed with their sexual relationships. I became wary around page 200 and was honestly a little relieved when it was over.
Jadine
These kooky characters with their kooky names make Higby a town I want to visit. The book only covers three days, but in that short time I feel in love with the townsfolk. A bit Fannie Flagg and Garrison Keillor; if you like small town tales, you'll probably like this.
Ken
Our book club read the book and we called the author, Mark Dunn. He was very gracious and it was interesting to hear his thought processes. The characters are entertaining.
rinabeana
I have a weak spot for books about crazy southerners. This is one of those books without much of an overall plot, but more like a collection of stories about colorful characters.
Madeleine
Mark Dunn has a way with words, an eye for detail and a knack for characterization that makes everything I've read of his an absolute delight. This was no exception.
Gerry
A fun book about small town folks who have their own interesting take on life.
I found it on the Fiction Connection as being kind of like books by Fannie Flagg.
Mimi
Set in Mississippi,the story is a slice of small town life and its people. I enjoyed the book but not near as much as his other book, Ella Minnow Pea.
Tatiana
Jan 24, 2013 Tatiana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: susan
i haven't read this book yet, but it gets bonus points for having a bassoon player as a character. and i've enjoyed his other books.
Kelly
Just not interesting enough. It started with promise but then sexual situations arose and the story's not worth it.
Cynthia
Great characters, funny southern novel. Loved it almost as much as A Short History of a Small Place by T.R. Pearson.
Chris
Does a good job of juggling a large cast — it's very funny, but humor masks a lot of sadness.
  • The Worst Day of My Life, So Far
  • 10th Grade: A Novel
  • Her
  • Rapture
  • Emily's Reasons Why Not: A Novel
  • A Practical Handbook for the Boyfriend: For Every Guy Who Wants to Be One/For Every Girl Who Wants to Build One
  • Americana: Dispatches from the New Frontier
  • Microthrills: True Stories from a Life of Small Highs
  • Candyland
Mark Dunn is the author of several books and more than thirty full-length plays, a dozen of which have been published in acting edition.

Mark has received over 200 productions of his work for the stage throughout the world, with translations of his plays into French, Italian, Dutch and Hungarian. His play North Fork (later retitled Cabin Fever: A Texas Tragicomedy when it was picked up for publica...more
More about Mark Dunn...
Ella Minnow Pea Ibid Under the Harrow ZOUNDS!: A Browser's Dictionary of Interjections American Decameron