Start by marking “Heartless ” as Want to Read:
Heartless

Heartless (Long, Tall Texans #36)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  3,718 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
As a teenager, Gracie worshipped Jason, a strong, silent young cowboy who left home early to seek his fortune. Now the wealthy owner of Comanche Wells ranch, Jason has finally come back home, and discovered that the little girl he knew is all grown up.
Published January 1st 2010 by M&b Publishing (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Heartless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heartless

Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful)

NOTE TO FELLOW READERS: If a book’s heroine straps on a fanny pack, stop reading IMMEDIATELY and throw it out! Or you WILL get Chlamydia and DIE!

description

Actually, that’s unfair. Chlamydia at least has a cure and I’m pretty sure whatever disease Diana Palmer’s Heartless, is afflicted with does not!

Egads, this book was bad! Just awful! Horrendous! Really, really, really…..well….really BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD! And, stupid me just kept on reading! Why? Because I HAD to know JUST how bad it could get! Yeah. Apparen
♥ℳelody
**I'm giving you fair warning, this review will be filled with snark and quotes I pulled from the book. I have to find some entertainment where I can when it comes to this book. It's all in good fun too! Sorry for the ramblings in advance.**

Finally finished this! It says so much when you let out a sigh of relief when you get to the last page of a book. :/I'm sorry Diana Palmer but you and I are going our separate ways. I tried very much but this did not work for me for several reasons. Same grie
Chantal ❤️
Ok compare to some of the other books DP wrote in the recent years this was a winner. If you know her formula this is the same but I enjoyed the whole fun relationship they had going. She was an awesome heroine and the kind of girl that you could be friends with. And he was a very misguided man who only really wanted the heroine and was confused on how to get her. It was a great story worth my time. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy romance and the misunderstanding that come from re ...more
Karen
Nov 22, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-bad-it-s-good
Cowboys. Check.
Innocent virgin. Check.
Christmas hater. Check.
Pregnancy Scare. Check.
Chest hair of awesomeness. Check.
Deposed dictator/druglords/kidnappings. Check. Check & Check!

Diana Palmer novels are my numero uno guilty pleasure. Guaranteed to get me out of any reading slump and put a smile on my face.
Heartless was no exception. I have only read one other Diana Palmer book – Dangerous and you can read my review here to see why I love her so. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77...)
The
Kathy
Mar 17, 2016 Kathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can almost forgive a hero who accuses the heroine of 'teasing' him when her lips just accidentally fell on top of his and she calls a halt to the festivities because he acts like he's going to gnaw on her breasts. During a traumatic flashback of her abusive father. With thunder booming and rain beating down just like the night her father almost put a bullet in her brain. Almost.

I can almost turn a blind eye to a hero getting shitfaced and taking a sexy redhead model to bed to soothe his wounde
KatieV
Feb 22, 2015 KatieV rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5, but what the heck? I'll round up since this is by far my favorite DP (not that I've read many).

What I've disliked about some of her books is the in lurve h and the hot/cold H. He wants her and resents it. Stupid penis! Actually, she's not pretty enough or sophisticated enough for his not so little guy. Dammit, he's THAT awesome. Don't be a hater. *eye roll*

This hero wasn't such a bad guy. He had his jerk moments but he knew he wanted the h. He did get engaged to an eeeeevil OW, but that was
jenjn79
Mar 05, 2009 jenjn79 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: author I like
I probably sound a little bit like a broken record every time I review a Diana Palmer book, but the sentiment stands true: this is a very typical Palmer book. It's got all her forumlaic mainstays. Still, I rather enjoyed this story.

Series note, though this book isn't officially part of a series, it is set in the fictional Jacobsville, TX area, where many of Palmer's books take place. Including the popular Long, Tall Texans series. This book can be read as a stand-alone, though.

Gracie Marsh grew
Riona
Aug 13, 2011 Riona rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finished 2 chapters and felt like I needed to take a shower in bleach.

When you grow up as brother and sister there should be no romance. But really - There should be no romance between a wealthy cowboy and his mentally retarded step sister. I don't care if there is some unknown reason for her mental retardation - that is the result of whatever unknown thing happened in her past later in the book.

You don't tell your sister (step or otherwise) to just lay back and think of England. You don't ask
Lynsey A
Jan 03, 2010 Lynsey A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Diana Palmer fans
This was definitely a DP where the hero reedemed himself and in fact wasn't a jerk through 80-90% of the book. At the times he was a jerk he was kicking himself for the way he was acting so that helped.

It was a typical DP read with the innocent, virginal heroine but Gracie really had some backbone on her and wasn't afraid to stand up to Jason. There were some references to some problems she had due to an incident in her past but it wasn't played on very much in the book, in so much that readers
Lauren
Heartless
1 Star

Synopsis:
Gracie Marsh worshipped her stepbrother Jason while growing up but now her feelings for him have evolved into something more intense. The feeling seems to be mutual but Gracie has a secret that makes her deathly afraid of love. Stung by her rejection, Jason leaves and sets in motion events that may change their lives forever.

Review:
OK, here goes my first and, hopefully, my last really negative review.

This book is awful but it is not the borderline incest that turned me
Jenny
Jan 15, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: made-me-swoon
Gracie has always loved her step-brother. They are not technically related but they grew up together. He adores her as well but he doesn't know how to make her see how much he loves her. Gracie is a very sheltered young woman and scared of intimacy. When Jason makes a move on her she rejects him. He feels hurt and rejected. He gets engaged to a shrew, Gracie leaves his house, becomes a teacher, Jason realizes his fiance is a bitch but it might be a little too late.

Super romantic story. Jason is
Addie
DNF at 42% and I only got that far because I skimmed like crazy. Other reviews sum up why this is so awful. I have no clue how this is rated as highly as it is.
Ceri Hebert
Angela Noviana
Aku suka buku tante Diana Palmer satu ini. Berbeda dengan Harlequin DP yang biasanya tipis, kali ini agak tebal dengan alur yang lebih panjang tapi tentunya menarik :)

Gracie adalah saudara tiri dari Jason. Masa lalunya berusaha ditutup oleh ibunya ketika menikah dengan ayah Jason dengan mengatakan Gracie bukanlah anaknya. Masa lalu yang membuatnya seperti saat ini.

Jason sudah dari dua tahun lalu tertarik pada Gracie, namun sepertinya wanita itu tak menyadarinya. Ia berharap Gracie melihatnya seb
Jonetta
Sep 24, 2011 Jonetta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gracie came to live in the Pendleton mansion as a teenager after her mother's marriage to Myron Pendleton. Jason Pendleton took special care of his stepsister, especially following her mother's death. Now, both of them are struggling with deeper, romantic feelings for each other and Gracie is grappling with fears from her secret past that create barriers to forging any intimacy with men.

I struggled with the author's attempt at defining these characters. In the same paragraph, Gracie talks about
Cheesecake
Gracie and Jason. Jason is a super wealthy guy and Gracie is the daughter of his father's second wife. He finally gives in to his passion for her but she runs off scared. She has some skeletons in the closet that he doesn't know about. He gets his nose bent out of shape by her apparent rejection and runs off only to come back with a fiance in tow. A super snotty evil Fiancee (of course). Grace who had been hoping to talk to him and explain her reaction is now forever silenced by the evil OW betw ...more
Jinky
(2.5)
I must admit this was an entertaining romance novel. There was some action (kidnapping, drug cartels, etc), a few funny moments (Jason's rebound woman), romance of course, and overall the characters were easy to follow. There were definitely characters you'd love (life long maid) and others you'd hate (Jason's rebound woman here again). In a nutshell, this would make for a perfectly amusing and long stretched out plot for Dallas or such late night TV soap opera. So if you're into that sort
Christina
May 13, 2010 Christina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've always liked the characters that Diana Palmer writes: the typical rugged cowboy and the sweet innocent woman who falls in love with him, but this book contained underdeveloped characters, a messy plot line and an overall lack of effort. You didn't fall in love with the characters or understand the motives and implications behind their actions. The story line had one too many tragedies- it felt like five books were shoved into this one short novel- two kidnappings, one ransom paid, multiple ...more
Emily
Jun 25, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cowboys, betrayal
Gracie has always admired her step-brother, although not technically related, he has always been there for her, although she wishes for more at times, she never could do anything about it. Gracie has a secret, that has jaded her ideas of what life would be with the man who holds her heart in his hands. When an impromptu kiss ends with Jason feeling rejected, he ends up doing something drastic that could ruin any chance of a future with Gracie, once he begins to understand that some secrets need ...more
 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~
This one is just an okay read. By that I mean the story is very, very, predictable. The "suspense" is not suspenseful at all, although interesting. The issues and dangers that these people seem to face were either worked out way too quickly, or the outcomes were way too easy or convenient to be believable. The love scenes were bleh or luke warm at best. And the leading lady just seemed too "simple" IMO.

The over usage of explanation marks (!) at the end of ALOT of sentences where the mood or end
Jolene
Jun 24, 2010 Jolene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was just ok, not great, but ok. The cover art drew me, I have never read a book by Diana Palmer and the plot sounded amazing. However as I got into the book, I found myself trying to force my way through it. It lacked in places, and conversations were repeated, I had higher hopes. I plan to check out her other books down the road, there were some other characters from this book who intrigued me. Though there were parts that I forced my way through, there were also parts that ...more
Irene
Mar 07, 2010 Irene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This had to be one of the longest books I have listened to. I was very tempted several times to just turn it off. It was over the top sappy. The story line too predictable and annoying. The emotions and storylines were repetitive and overly exaggerated. I gave 2 stars only because I was able to finish, admittedly with a sigh of relief. There were several points in the book that the story could have ended to make it a better read. If you like sappy, needy charactars this book is for you. If you l ...more
Becky
Aug 20, 2009 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most any other girl, I enjoy my romances, although I'm slightly ashamed to admit it :o) This book was lite-chick-flick material; not a lot of plot but a good, semi-original romance. I liked Jason but I felt that in a real-life setting he would come off creepy because of his intensity and also annoying because of his huge abrupt mood swings. Gracie is likeable and every man's dream girl - almost completely submissive. It was an enjoyable read and provided all the things a romance should but ...more
Teresa
Jun 26, 2009 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slogging my way through this one. Diana Palmer is a total guilty-pleasure read for me. Hero is Palmer's standard total alpha-male and the heroine is the usual Palmer sheltered virgin. Palmer fans will definately enjoy, but readers who don't feel like banging their heads against the wall everyother sentence will not. The only real difference that I notice in Palmer's longer books is that she mixes in the Hero's POV instead of just the Heroine (who's usually TSL).
Just - The romance reader
Jason Pendleton is anything but heartless, but he sure comes across that way much of the time. He also comes across as one sexy cowboy. I'm not usually one for western themed books, which I expected Heartless to be. Although the book is full of cowboys it wasn't what I expected, and I'm starting to love 'em!
shms
Mar 18, 2016 shms rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
eye rollingly (is there such a word!) bad and an implausible story line and that's saying something when it comes from one who reads a lot of romance books where reality is often suspended. Shades of stockholm syndrome since a kidnapper is a good kidnapper, as opposed to the drug gang of bad kidnappers...don't get me started.
Carol
May 30, 2014 Carol rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was lame. It wasn't the plot, that was okay, and all the side characters were pretty interesting, but the hero and heroine were just awful. They deserve each other. I am not sure why I kept reading until the end.
Natalie

I might need to take a break from this author for awhile as the characters blend together with the similarities. Young woman traumatized by a past that makes her reluctant to get involved with men. Man who doesn't realize this and is cruel to heroine. Several misunderstandings.
Debbie
Jun 06, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy Diana Palmer.
  • Dylan (Montana Creeds, #2)
  • Innocent on Her Wedding Night
  • The Guarded Heart
  • House of Mirrors
  • Saturday's Child
  • The Cowboy (Bitter Creek #1)
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Love's Legacy
  • Land of Dreams
  • The Italian Billionaire's Ruthless Revenge
  • The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (The Marriage Bargain, #1)
  • Shameful Secret, Shotgun Wedding
  • Sheikh's Desert Duty (The Chatsfield, #9)
  • Boss Man (The Tycoon Club #2)
  • A Savage Betrayal

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's libera
More about Diana Palmer...

Long, Tall Texans (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Calhoun (Long, Tall Texans, #1)
  • Justin (Long, Tall Texans, #2)
  • Tyler (Long, Tall Texans, #3)
  • Sutton's Way  (Long, Tall Texans, #4)
  • Ethan (Long, Tall Texans, #5)
  • Connal (Long, Tall Texans, #6)
  • Harden (Long, Tall Texans #7)
  • Evan (Long, Tall Texans, #8)
  • Donavan (Long, tall Texans, #9)
  • Emmett (Long, Tall Texans, #10)

“Jason looked down at her with smoldering eyes in a taciturn face. “You’ll have to do something about Mumbles before we come back for Thanksgiving, Gracie,” he told her quietly. “Kittie’s allergic to cats.” 0 likes
“He cuddled her back into his arms and sighed, closing his eyes as the flames in the gas logs danced like sugar-plums. Gracie watched them across his broad chest, feeling the happiness like a flame inside her heart. Somewhere she heard Christmas carols being sung and a dog barking in the distance. Closer, she heard the strong, regular beat of Jason’s heart under her ear. Christmas wasn’t only in her heart. It was in her arms.” 0 likes