Start by marking “A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries” as Want to Read:
A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries

A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  1,591 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The Vampire Diaries, the television series based on the iconic books by L.J. Smith, has already managed to captivate millions of viewers with its unique mix of immortal romance and very human drama.

In A Visitor’s Guide to Mystic Falls, YA authors—led by Red and Vee of premier Vampire Diaries resource—take a closer look at Mystic Falls: its residents (bo
Published October 19th 2010 by Smart Pop (first published September 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls

Dec 16, 2014 Samantha marked it as to-read
I can't wait for this to be released! I love The Vampire Diaries series so this is a must for me!
This book was a birthday present to me from my sister.

I loved reading the various essays from various authors. I liked how they kept mentioning the difference between the tv series and the books. However, this book was released after season 1 so while reading it, I kept thinking how now we know a lot of stuff that we used to question.
Taschima Cullen
A book a la true Smart Pop books fashion. A bunch of author's coming together in a single book, essay format, to talk about the wonders and amazingness of what is The Vampire Diaries, season 1. Being a Vampire Diaries fan myself, TV Show not books (though I did read those before watching the TV show a long time ago), I found this book sooo freaking enjoyable, because as I always say when it comes to Smart Pop Books it's like coming together with your favourite authors (Bree Despain, Alyxandra Ha ...more
Originally reviewed by me at

Oh how I love TVD. If you haven't tried it, there's a good chance you will, too. One of the most prominent ideas that pops up in reviews of the show are people saying things like "Ok, I don't like vampires and I never watch teen dramas. But this is my new favorite show." There is just so much to love: a heroine that really cannot be beaten (loyal, sweet, independent, strong, loving and just genuinely Good), sexy vampires (I woul
Marie R.
Scroll down for German review

This book is a must have for all die-hard The Vampire Diaries fans, but it is also interesting and informative for total beginners. A Visitors Guide to Mystic Falls takes a closer look to the topic presented in the series and tries to answer important questions like "Who is really the bad guy?"
Famous authors like Cassandra Clare wrote twelve essays about the Vampire Diaries and Red and Vee from the number one TVD Fansite edited and commented this special collection.
I really enjoyed this book! Different author's takes, in essay form, on the very popular Vampire Diaries TV show (it's definitely my favorite show now!). Lots of ideas were thrown into the mix and many made me think about the show a bit. Claudia Gray & Jon Skovron were 2 particularly good pieces, but not a one disappointed. If you are a fan of the show this is one you'd definitely enjoy!
For those who don't know, I'm obsessed with The Vampire Diaries. When I laid eyes on A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls, I knew I had to have it. I really like having background knowledge and being able to share what I know with other Vampire Diaries addicts. This would make the perfect gift for The Vampire Diaries addict in your life. It's well written and lots of fun!
Nicole Field
I first read L. J. Smith's The Vampire Diaries for the first time when I was a teenager on holiday in Albury for a week with my parents. I was sitting by the poolside in bright sunlight reading about vampires with rings that protected them from the sunlight and--possibly because I hadn't read any other vampire books at the time--thought that was fairy reasonable.

When the TV series came out more than ten years later, I had to watch it for nostalgia purposes. And the thing I like most about it--as
12 essays on various Vampire Diaries topics by 12 different writer familiar with the series.

Written after the First season. I thought this was a bunch of TVD SS’s, not critiques on various aspects of TVD. And, yes, I do love TVD, just dissapointed since i was expecting something else.

1)‘Women Who Love Vampires Who Eat Women: Interspecies dating and gender dynamics.’ Compares Elena with Buffy and Bella Swan and Elena’s different feelings and relationships with both Stefan and Damon. Also comm
Crissy Calhoun
Reviewed here on my blog: (Spoiler alert: I loved it.)
Sep 21, 2010 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒbern marked it as to-read
Oct. 5, 2010
I received this book in the goodreads giveaway.

I've never watched or read The Vampire Diaries, so I wanted this book to kinda see what it's about. I kinda wanted to know if it was worth investing my time into. I think the authors did a pretty good job on describing what they thought and what they that was going to happen. It was interesting to read the different view points. I think this is something that the fans of the series will really enjoy.
M (aka DarkBeauty73)
While I was not one for buying books with essay's dissecting a show, I am glad I bought this one. The essays were well put together and had lots of information to back up there ideas. Weather you agreed totally with what was being said you could respect there point of view. None of the essays were overly heavy handed in there writing which made things easy to understand and follow. At times I found myself stopping to think about things that I had missed while watching. This book mainly talks abo ...more
Jan 30, 2015 Aliyah marked it as to-read
Shelves: vampires
As a Vampire Diaries enthusiast, I think this read would be perfect for me.
janie love
Shreya Kishore
This book is essentially a compilation of essays related to the show, The Vampire Diaries. It explores everything from Caroline and Bonnie to who's better Damon or Stefan. Excellent editing and selection of essays by famous paranormal authors. It provides us with many tid bits about Mystic Falls.And in the end, I loved the book.
This book only covers the first season, so the writers make lots of cases and arguments that are only applicable to that season. If you know what happens in Season 2, some of these arguments are not as compelling.

I'd only recommend this to superfans of The Vampire Diaries tv show or to fang hags such as myself.
I didn't enjoy this as much as I enjoyed reading The Girl Who Was On Fire. I guess how interesting dissecting a fandom can be depends on how interesting the source material is in the first place. Not that TVD isn't great, it just doesn't offer that much to ponder about as The Hunger Games did.
I really enjoyed this collection. I have read the books and fallen in love with the television show. I liked the different perspectives in this anthology. I loved the number of talented authors involved in this project and it's on a great topic. Good stuff.
I should have read this when it first came out. Most of the essays are outdated. I probably would have liked it more if I didn't already know what theories were right / wrong.
Interesting to see what others think about the series and how they see the characters.
I didn't love it, but I liked it. I'm not sure what I was expecting...
This book is an illistration for the tv program.Interesting but no story.
Great for all you Vampire Diary fans!
Anindita Chatterjee
pretty cool for a nice light reading :)
1.5 stars.
Deanna marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
  • Love You to Death Season 2: The Unofficial Companion to The Vampire Diaries
  • A Taste of True Blood: The Fangbanger's Guide
  • True Blood and Philosophy: We Want to Think Bad Things with You
  • Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Television Show
  • 100% The Vampire Diaries: The Unofficial Guide To The Vampire Diaries
  • A New Dawn: Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series
  • The Vampire Diaries: Blood Will Tell (The Vampire Diaries: Extras, #4.5)
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • The Twilight Companion: The Unauthorized Guide to the Series
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • The Psychology of Twilight
  • Inside Joss' Dollhouse: From Alpha to Rossum
  • Twilite: A Parody
  • Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Complete, Unofficial Guide to 'Buffy' and 'Angel'
  • Twilight and History
Until We Have Faces Release The Panic (Deluxe) Release The Panic (Deluxe) Tatiana 'Amel ve naar ta'lmi kitbet