Start by marking “A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries” as Want to Read:
A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries

A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  1,884 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The Vampire Diaries, the television series based on the iconic books by L.J. Smith, has already managed to captivate millions of viewers with its unique mix of immortal romance and very human drama.

In A Visitor’s Guide to Mystic Falls, YA authors—led by Red and Vee of premier Vampire Diaries resource Vampire-Diaries.net—take a closer look at Mystic Falls: its residents (bo
Published October 19th 2010 by Smart Pop (first published September 23rd 2010)

Samantha
Jun 06, 2010 Samantha marked it as to-read
I can't wait for this to be released! I love The Vampire Diaries series so this is a must for me!
Kushnuma
Sep 15, 2015 Kushnuma rated it really liked it
This book was a birthday present to me from my sister.

I loved reading the various essays from various authors. I liked how they kept mentioning the difference between the tv series and the books. However, this book was released after season 1 so while reading it, I kept thinking how now we know a lot of stuff that we used to question.
Marie R.
Scroll down for German review

This book is a must have for all die-hard The Vampire Diaries fans, but it is also interesting and informative for total beginners. A Visitors Guide to Mystic Falls takes a closer look to the topic presented in the series and tries to answer important questions like "Who is really the bad guy?"
Famous authors like Cassandra Clare wrote twelve essays about the Vampire Diaries and Red and Vee from the number one TVD Fansite edited and commented this special collection.
Emily
Originally reviewed by me at http://fantastic-finds-ya.blogspot.com/

Oh how I love TVD. If you haven't tried it, there's a good chance you will, too. One of the most prominent ideas that pops up in reviews of the show are people saying things like "Ok, I don't like vampires and I never watch teen dramas. But this is my new favorite show." There is just so much to love: a heroine that really cannot be beaten (loyal, sweet, independent, strong, loving and just genuinely Good), sexy vampires (I woul
Taschima
Jan 20, 2012 Taschima rated it really liked it
A book a la true Smart Pop books fashion. A bunch of author's coming together in a single book, essay format, to talk about the wonders and amazingness of what is The Vampire Diaries, season 1. Being a Vampire Diaries fan myself, TV Show not books (though I did read those before watching the TV show a long time ago), I found this book sooo freaking enjoyable, because as I always say when it comes to Smart Pop Books it's like coming together with your favourite authors (Bree Despain, Alyxandra Ha ...more
Melodie
Oct 22, 2010 Melodie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2010
I really enjoyed this book! Different author's takes, in essay form, on the very popular Vampire Diaries TV show (it's definitely my favorite show now!). Lots of ideas were thrown into the mix and many made me think about the show a bit. Claudia Gray & Jon Skovron were 2 particularly good pieces, but not a one disappointed. If you are a fan of the show this is one you'd definitely enjoy!
Bridget
Nov 09, 2010 Bridget rated it it was amazing
For those who don't know, I'm obsessed with The Vampire Diaries. When I laid eyes on A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls, I knew I had to have it. I really like having background knowledge and being able to share what I know with other Vampire Diaries addicts. This would make the perfect gift for The Vampire Diaries addict in your life. It's well written and lots of fun!
Kim Baccellia
Apr 24, 2010 Kim Baccellia rated it really liked it
My review at YA Books Central:

Crissy Calhoun
Apr 17, 2010 Crissy Calhoun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
Reviewed here on my blog: http://crissycalhoun.com/2010/10/17/a... (Spoiler alert: I loved it.)
 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒbern
Sep 21, 2010 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒbern marked it as to-read
Oct. 5, 2010
Nicole Field
Feb 27, 2015 Nicole Field rated it really liked it
I first read L. J. Smith's The Vampire Diaries for the first time when I was a teenager on holiday in Albury for a week with my parents. I was sitting by the poolside in bright sunlight reading about vampires with rings that protected them from the sunlight and--possibly because I hadn't read any other vampire books at the time--thought that was fairy reasonable.

When the TV series came out more than ten years later, I had to watch it for nostalgia purposes. And the thing I like most about it--as
Theresa
Feb 20, 2014 Theresa rated it it was ok
12 essays on various Vampire Diaries topics by 12 different writer familiar with the series.

Written after the First season. I thought this was a bunch of TVD SS’s, not critiques on various aspects of TVD. And, yes, I do love TVD, just dissapointed since i was expecting something else.

1)‘Women Who Love Vampires Who Eat Women: Interspecies dating and gender dynamics.’ Compares Elena with Buffy and Bella Swan and Elena’s different feelings and relationships with both Stefan and Damon. Also comm
M (aka DarkBeauty73)
While I was not one for buying books with essay's dissecting a show, I am glad I bought this one. The essays were well put together and had lots of information to back up there ideas. Weather you agreed totally with what was being said you could respect there point of view. None of the essays were overly heavy handed in there writing which made things easy to understand and follow. At times I found myself stopping to think about things that I had missed while watching. This book mainly talks abo ...more
Plaguedoctor
Aug 12, 2014 Plaguedoctor rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book in the goodreads giveaway.

I've never watched or read The Vampire Diaries, so I wanted this book to kinda see what it's about. I kinda wanted to know if it was worth investing my time into. I think the authors did a pretty good job on describing what they thought and what they that was going to happen. It was interesting to read the different view points. I think this is something that the fans of the series will really enjoy.
Alexis
Jun 05, 2012 Alexis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This book only covers the first season, so the writers make lots of cases and arguments that are only applicable to that season. If you know what happens in Season 2, some of these arguments are not as compelling.

I'd only recommend this to superfans of The Vampire Diaries tv show or to fang hags such as myself.
Shreya Kishore
Oct 31, 2011 Shreya Kishore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is essentially a compilation of essays related to the show, The Vampire Diaries. It explores everything from Caroline and Bonnie to who's better Damon or Stefan. Excellent editing and selection of essays by famous paranormal authors. It provides us with many tid bits about Mystic Falls.And in the end, I loved the book.
Jodie
Dec 28, 2010 Jodie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection. I have read the books and fallen in love with the television show. I liked the different perspectives in this anthology. I loved the number of talented authors involved in this project and it's on a great topic. Good stuff.
Alexandra
Jun 07, 2011 Alexandra rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this as much as I enjoyed reading The Girl Who Was On Fire. I guess how interesting dissecting a fandom can be depends on how interesting the source material is in the first place. Not that TVD isn't great, it just doesn't offer that much to ponder about as The Hunger Games did.
Stephanie
Mar 04, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was ok
I should have read this when it first came out. Most of the essays are outdated. I probably would have liked it more if I didn't already know what theories were right / wrong.
Ally
Ally rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Toni Howard
Toni Howard rated it did not like it
Apr 25, 2013
Cecy
Cecy rated it did not like it
Jun 04, 2014
Marie Morgan
Marie Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
Kimberly kapfhammer
Kimberly kapfhammer rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Joanne Barker
Joanne Barker rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2017
Brannan
Brannan rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Na'Keya Williams
Na'Keya Williams rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Brandonvi
Brandonvi rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2013
Minoushka
Minoushka rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Theresa Chavez
Theresa Chavez rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
  • Love You to Death: The Unofficial Companion to The Vampire Diaries
  • A Taste of True Blood: The Fangbanger's Guide
  • True Blood and Philosophy: We Want to Think Bad Things with You
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • The Vampire Diaries: Blood Will Tell (The Vampire Diaries: Extras, #4.5)
  • 100% The Vampire Diaries: The Unofficial Guide To The Vampire Diaries
  • A New Dawn: Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • Inside Joss' Dollhouse: From Alpha to Rossum
  • The Twilight Companion: The Unauthorized Guide to the Series
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • The Psychology of Twilight
  • Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Complete, Unofficial Guide to 'Buffy' and 'Angel'
  • Twilight and History