Start by marking “Ashamed Of The Gospel: When The Church Becomes Like The World” as Want to Read:
Ashamed Of The Gospel: When The Church Becomes Like The World

Ashamed Of The Gospel: When The Church Becomes Like The World

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  880 ratings  ·  34 reviews
In this book, John MacArthur laments the drift of American Christianity towards compromise with culture and issues a call for the church to recover its prophetic, unadulterated voice in order to have a renewed impact on society.
Hardcover, Third Edition, 304 pages
Published January 31st 2010 by Crossway Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Ashamed Of The Gospel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashamed Of The Gospel

Jimmy
Aug 23, 2011 Jimmy added it
The first edition of this book was published in 1993, and the latest edition was published in 2010. Sometimes the benefit of a book that is warning the threat posed to Evangelical Christianity is best seen from the passage of time. From the perspective that "time will tell.." I think this book is a must read for those who are concern about the state of American Christianity departing from Biblical mooring. The message is not out of date, but has been proven to be more relevant today. The author ...more
Aaron
Didn't find the infomation in this book especially surprising or new, but it is definitely a good summary of what has happened in recent decades to the church and some great suggestions of solutions. I would have liked to have read more about how I, a non-pastor, can have more impact.

The best chapter was the last one that gave a brief but striking overview of the Emerging Church (or whatever they want to call themselves) and the decline of that "conversation" even in the face of the stronger an
Rod
A great book. All Christians should be forced to read this - even though many of them would not like its contents. The truth hurts, sorry.

The numerous quotes by C.H. Spurgeon were a delightful blessing and thrust of the sword. The plight of Christian truth has not changed in hundreds of years. This book proves that.
Yet God looks after his church.
Jim
John MacArthur deals with the subject of Pragmatism in such a powerful way.

The following is a condensed version of what this book revealed to me:

Pragmatism is the view that meaning or worth is determined by practical consequences.

The error of pragmatism simply put: "if it works, it must be right"!

The pragmatic approach to doing church is to determine what attracts people and makes the church grow. We are far too human. We are limited in our perception and understanding. We are prone to believe t
Joe
If you are wondering if there is anything wrong with the contemporary church and in particular a seeker sensitive mentality this is the book for you.

Once again John MacArthur is true to scripture.
Kelly
When the church resorts to becoming entertainment to be "relevant"; when Scripture is "thrown in" almost as an afterthought, when the "sermon" comes off as an inspirational speech; when secular movie clips & quotes from the famous are used to drive home the point. . . It is because the church is ashamed of the Gospel. The Gospel-the POWER OF GOD unto salvation for all who believe!

The book is thought provoking. It drives home the point that salvation is a work of God; through Jesus Christ. N
Jeremy Sarber
The prophets of the Old Testament, the apostles of the New, and many preachers since have declared the truth of God’s word at the detest of the hearers. Sinners are prone to reject the unfiltered gospel of Jesus Christ. At the very least, a watered-down version is preferable. The Bible warns, “For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears” (2 Tim. 4:3).

Charles Spurgeon fought a grueling battl
Rick Davis
John MacArthur knocks this one out of the ballpark. In Ashamed of the Gospel, published in 1993, MacArthur discusses the market-driven church growth strategies that characterized the latter half of the 20th century. He shows that by having a pragmatic view of church growth, the church is placed on a slippery slope towards mushy doctrine and ineffectiveness in the world. I don’t know why I hadn’t read this book before, but I would say that it should be essential reading for today’s pastors. I wou ...more
Linda
Apr 17, 2008 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every Christian
Thank God for steadfast men of the Gospel like John MacArthur. His wisdom and discernment cut through today's "hip" manipulation and marketing tactics of the seeker-driven churches and remind us to be careful of fads and gimmicks. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the power of salvation and the dilution of that truth is often hidden behind visual aids, ridiculous secular-like dramas, sermon series based on "my favorite movies" and...well, you get the picture. Sometimes I've felt so out of place in c ...more
Eunice
A great book on the counter-cultural gospel of the Bible as opposed to "consumeristic" techniques to bring people to church. Read this with a pinch of salt as the author's views are very strong, but overall it is a very timely GOOD, hard message that we as believers all need to sit with & reflect on.
Bill Nohmer
Several years ago, I was asked to teach a college age class at the church I attend. The class was comprised of a half dozen or so college age young people. I inquired to know the spiritual standing of the class in order to formulate the curriculum. To my utter frustration, the minister who asked me to lead the class went down the line of the students and explained each was 'nowhere' spiritually.

I agree with John MacArthur Jr. that this situation is not limited to college age students. Our servic
Joy
This was the first book I'd read by John MacArthur. It was written in
1993 and warns of the seeker church movement. Spurgeon warned against a similar movement in England in the early 1900s that he described as "down-grade", or what I would call a slippery slope. The message preached in churches was designed to attract crowds by being positive, lively, non-condemning. Can you imagine Paul following that course? The message of the Gospel was weakened, pastors did not teach doctrine, and a whole new
Ed
Even though this book was first published 10 years ago, the truths are still prevalent for today. Even more so! We can clearly see Pragmatism being practiced in our churches. It is amazing how things that brought people to Christ at one time are being reduced to present standards. I still use the same old tactics, soul winning, one-on-one personal witnessing. Telling the truth about hell to people and not watering down the truth. I appreciate John MacArthur's zeal and burden in reaching others f ...more
Diane
This book discusses the problems of the modern American Church in terms of an overall weakening of the message in order to attract converts. The author criticizes the gimmicky, faddish practices of many churches that keep their members from growing spiritually. While I agree with the author's main points, I felt that the book merely scratched the surface. It was something of a jeremiad, but seemed to be somewhat low on substance, which was disappointing, since weak substance was one of the autho ...more
Ann
A book I wish every professing believer would read, particularly if they are burdened about the authenticity of Scriptural preaching and teaching.
Clement Lee
Excellent expositions on various Holy Scriptures by Mr MacArthur! He sets forth Scriptural truths plainly against the Pragmatism philosophy so sadly rampant in many churches today. Besides the argument against pragmatism, I enjoyed the frequent quotes from Spurgeon and the informative appendices.
YoungBishop
Covering how the modern Church has turned from the saving Gospel; a repetition of a "Down-Grade Syndrome" in Spurgeon's days. Talks about seeker-sensitive and pragmatic methods in drawing souls to the church but not making part of the Church. Great book!!!
Kingsdaughter
Outstanding book. Pastor MacArthur is not afraid to address issues confronting the church today. A must read for those who are dissatified with the direction the church is taking. I do not know where my stars went but I give it 4 stars.
Bill
MacArthur at his best. Poignant, hard-hitting, no nonsense. Although he goes down the path of Calvinism farther than I am willing to follow, his observations about the trouble with user-friendly Churchianity are right on target.
Charlie
A vague, meandering rant against a host of presumed ills of the contemporary church. The many fine scriptural expositions are weakened by the lack of focus and the author's habit of blaming church decline on a few pet peeves.
Patrick
Highest recommendations. Scary accurate portrayal of the state of the church (particularly in the U.S.). I'm thankful that ultimately the promise of Matthew 16.18 is true even in the face of the "Baal of pragmatism."
Wesley
I listened to the audio version. Great book on the shallow methods of reaching the lost that have plagued evangelicalism and fundamentalism. Shows the impact it has had on our culture and the Gospel.
Micaël Beaulieu
True to himself John MacArthur delivers another great book. Its nothing he has not said before but its a message well needed in this ever so troubling "contextualization" era of the church.
Scott Guillory
MacArthur strikes a good balance between legalism and antinomianism in the Christian life. An echo of Spurgeon's response to "The Downgrade" controversy.
High Pointe Baptist Church
Warnings about how professing evangelicals are tempted to marginalize or dilute the gospel, particularly in recent years
Dana
Jan 09, 2012 Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Charismatics, evangelicals
Shelves: christian-books
Excellent book this was a real eye opener for me! Everyone who goes to a charismatic church needs to read this book.
Jeff
May 23, 2010 Jeff marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy
A 3rd edition has been publised - this might not be it

Recommended highly by Tim Challies
Brandon W.
This book was an eye-opener! I was very troubled by this one, but remain hopeful!
Michael Pack
A good counter attack for the pragmatism running rampant in our churches.
joel
I came to really understand what Pragmatism really is.
  • No Place for Truth: Or, Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology
  • Evangelicalism Divided: A Record of Crucial Change in the Years 1950 to 2000
  • Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification
  • Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • Tell the Truth: The Whole Gospel to the Whole Person by Whole People
  • Beyond the Bounds: Open Theism and the Undermining of Biblical Christianity
  • The Deliberate Church: Building Your Ministry on the Gospel
  • The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and the Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free
  • Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • Storm Warning
  • In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
  • Jonathan Edwards Lover of God
John F. MacArthur, Jr. is a United States Calvinistic evangelical writer and minister, noted for his radio program entitled Grace to You and as the editor of the Gold Medallion Book Award winning MacArthur Study Bible. MacArthur is a fifth-generation pastor, a popular author and conference speaker and has served as pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California since 1969, and ...more
More about John F. MacArthur Jr....
Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible, and What He Wants to Do with You Twelve Ordinary Men Slave: The Hidden Truth about Your Identity in Christ The Gospel According to Jesus: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says "Follow Me"? The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception

“Excellent ministers cannot be those who yearn for earthly applause. Neither can they be lovers of earthly comfort. The life of ministry is not a life of leisure.
No ministry of any value comes without pain. I often encounter young men headed for the ministry who are looking for a church without problems, a ministry without challenges, a congregation that will make life easy. There is no such place for the faithful preacher of the Word. The notion that ministry can be both effective and painless is a lie. You will encounter hardship if you preach the unadulterated Word. And when adversity strikes, you have two choices. You can endure and remain steadfast, or you can compromise. The faithful minister holds the line for the truth. You cannot do that and escape suffering (2 Tim. 3:12).”
1 likes