Start by marking “One Day At A Time” as Want to Read:
One Day At A Time

One Day At A Time

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,408 Ratings  ·  329 Reviews
Coco Barrington is the black sheep of her unusual Hollywood family. Having dropped out of law school, she works as a dog walker in North California. Her widowed mother, mega-bestselling author Florence Flowers, has just begun a secret romance with a man twenty-four years her junior, and her sister, Jane, one of Hollywood's top producers has lived with her partner, Liz, for ...more
Paperback, International Edition, 445 pages
Published 2010 by Corgi (first published January 1st 2009)

Sharon
Dec 06, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
Coco Barrington was born into a Hollywood lifestyle. Her mother was a bestselling romance novelist and her father who died from a stroke four years ago was a literary dramatic agent. And Coco's sister, Jane is a really successful film producer. Coco's had been a disappointment to her mother ever since she dropped out of law school. Coco spends her days as a dog walker until her sister offers her to house sit in her lavish San Francisco house. At first Coco doesn't want to go, but eventually she ...more
Ashley Daviau
While I did enjoy this for the most part, I found some bits were repetitive. Almost like the author had forgotten that they had already said the exact same thing a few pages back, just in different words. Despite this I did still enjoy the story and found myself relating to Coco in a few ways. Some of the characters annoyed me at times, mostly Coco's mother and sister. However they did grow through the story and I was able to appreciate them much more towards the end. All in all it was a cute st ...more
Diana Hockley
Jan 30, 2013 Diana Hockley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a Danielle Steel novel for many years and having been given this one, decided to give it a go. I was extremely disappointed! The opportunity to make this an exciting love story was passed by and a bland, uninteresting, repetitious effort produced instead.

I won't go into the plot as other readers have done that. I don't know where Ms Steel's editor helped, but he or she certainly wasn't alert. Countless repetitions about how Coco's sister hated her and bullied her - sometimes this
Jt
Mar 04, 2009 Jt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not like this book. It was just a shallow read and I could easily predict the outcome. Wasted my money on this one.
Jeanne
Mar 12, 2011 Jeanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, embarrassed to mention that I even read this. What happened was, I finished the book I took on holiday with me last week and I found that the hotel had a small library. Problem was, almost all the books were in Greek! This was about the only English book that I could find (other than one about child abuse, which wasn't very holiday-friendly). I didn't finish it while I was there, so brought it home with me, and will now have to send it back! I suppose that's how it got any stars at all - the ...more
Maggie
Apr 18, 2009 Maggie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was so surprised how much I didn't like this book! I've not read Danielle Steele before, I tried reading Rogue but couldn't finish it. I can't put my finger on why I couldn't get in to this book, it was like she was saying the same thing over and over again....

Coco is a hippie....
Coco is JUST a dog walker....
Coco dropped out of law school.....
Leslie is too good for her....
Jane is a lesbian....
Florence is perfect.....

it just kind of grated on my nerves. I'm hoping this is just a fluke and I wi
Laurel-Rain
When Colette (Coco) Barrington was growing up, she was surrounded by the Hollywood lifestyle, with her father in the movie business and her mother a mega bestselling author. It is no surprise that her older sister Jane also grows up to join the movie game as a top producer.

But Coco wants nothing to do with that life. After graduating from Princeton, she begins law school at Stanford, but drops out and creates a dog walking business. A way to enjoy life on her terms. Unfortunately, her family dis
Julia
Dec 06, 2015 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I've read Danielle Steele but I was in the mood for a quick, light read. This was an enjoyable read but not nearly as good as Family Album. This would be a good beach read.
Vicki
May 25, 2010 Vicki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Oh my! I don't know what possessed me to read another Danielle Steel novel. Maybe I forgot how syrupy and unrealistic they are or maybe I am too realistic to enter the world of Danielle Steel. This was a book I picked up free at a book exchange and I thought I was in the mood for romance, but quickly learned this book was not for me. Since I am a finisher, I perservered (quickly) to the end. No more Danielle Steel for me--there has to be a better way to escape!
Marnie
Sep 28, 2009 Marnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: romance
Of all the Danielle Steele books I have read, this by far was my favorite.
This book is about a girl different from her family and gets belitted from them bacause of this. She meets a man and falls in love a difficult step for her. She learns to finally stand up for herself and overcome her fears in relationship. Of course the ending is a happily ever after.
Shauna
Mar 27, 2009 Shauna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read Danielle Steel since I was a teenager and have read every book she's written. I enjoy them because they're entertaining and fast to get through. The writing isn't great, the storylines are fairly predictable and cookie cutter and there's not much depth to the characters, but I enjoy them as a break from more serious reading.
Ana Fernandes
Mar 27, 2015 Ana Fernandes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"O que quer que aconteça, aconteceu ou venha a acontecer. Ainda acredito no Amor seja qual for a sua forma ortodoxa ou pouco ortodoxa, vulgar ou extraordinária. Nunca desisto da Esperança"

Que livro fantástico este!!
Nunca tinha lido nada desta autora, mas adorei o livro. Que romance tão bonito este de Coco e Leslie!!
Ronna
Feb 19, 2010 Ronna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was an entertaining book and it did keep my attention the entire time. I loved the story and all of tyhe characters and I loved following the emotions that the main characters felt throughout the novel. It is a book about families and their dynamics.

It wsas just a quick great novel.
Marge
May 20, 2009 Marge rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read Steel in a long time and this book is the reason why - she writes like a high school book report "she is very, very, very, very, very pretty" - 15 pages of content spread into 240 pages - it does read fast though while you're waiting to get to some content - don't bother.
Jenna
Only made it about 40 pages into this one and already I felt as though I could predict the whole story....kind of a cheesy love story right from the start. Don't get me wrong, I like a good love story but this was just not my style.
Carol
Jun 07, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I still read Danielle's fluffy tales. I get caught up in their lives. The one thing that bugs me is that she repeats herself over and over. I say, she says the same thing over ag
Rebecca Dean
Ok, so Danielle Steel is what started me on my reading journey of 35+ years way back when. I had never read a "romance" novel until I was a young mother at home with several little ones and seemed to need some downtime, while everyone was napping. I have been one to take a "nap" so reading was perfect.

A friend loaned me a Danielle Steel book (current then in the 1980's) and I really enjoyed it. I was a permanent feature at the library checking out her books and liking each one.

NOW..... 30+ years
Donna
Jun 14, 2009 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coco Barrington was born into a talented hollywood family: Her father was a well-known agent, her mother is an award winning author, and her sister was winning awards for her directing b her late twenties. Coco is in her late twenties, has dropped out of college and is working as a dog walker to her family's dismay. Her sister immperiously commands her to house sit. Coco is intimidated by her 11 year older sister and gives up her plans to come housesit. It is supposed to be only for a couple of ...more
Mary
Aug 17, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Coco Barrington was born into a legendary Hollywood family, her last name loaded with expectations. Her mother is a mega bestselling author who writes under the pen name of Florence Flowers and her sister, Jane, is one of Hollywood's top producers. They are not your typical family by any means...Jane has lived with her partner Liz, in a solid, loving relationship for ten years. Florence, widowed but still radiant, has just begun a secret romance with a man twenty-four years her junior. And Coco ...more
Jennifer Daniel
Overall, a decent story. I kept picturing Hugh Grant everytime Leslie was mentioned. This was a rather eclectic family with lesbians, cougars and a dog walking recluse. I wanted to punch Jane in the face a few times, but it appeared motherhood mellowed her.
Pragti Rathore
however many jhumpa lahiris or stephen kings I read, danielle steele will always be close to my heart. She is an author I discovered very young and I will always be biased towards her :)
Danielle Steele has an amazing ability to make you feel comfortable, her words make you feel good about life and her books are full of strong and independent women fighting with simple issues in life. This book was gifted to me as a birthday gift and i loved reading it. Though some parts of the story felt keenly
Donna
Jul 25, 2010 Donna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
lRead this for ARRT genre study. Hated it. The thing that amazes me most about this book was the list of "other books by this author." Who is reading this cr*p?

The story itself could have been mildly interesting but the writing was so awful that every few paragraphs I "noticed" the writing; as in, "that's the worst sentence I've every read" or "didn't she just use the exact same words to describe the exact same thing on the prior page?"

If this book is a true representation of Danielle Steel, th
Ion Bargan
Jun 01, 2014 Ion Bargan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coco Barrington pare să fie resemnată la o viață modestă și tristă după ce a ales o altă cale decât membrii familiei, cunoscuți în lumea filmelor și a literaturii, iar partenerul ei iubit moare într-un accident de zbor.

Viața ei ia o turnură remarcabilă atunci când la rugămintea surorii mai mari, îngrijește de casa și câinele ei timp de câteva luni. Aici îl întâlnește pe actorul Leslie Baxter, un amic al surorii sale, care se refugiază la casa ei din San Francisco pentru a se ascunde de fosta lui
Rachel
Apr 01, 2010 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe she sells so many books! I totally could write this! That being said, I continued to read it even though my husband kept asking me "why are you still reading it if it's so bad?" Um...I was interested in what was going to happen; BUT; the writing was terrible. It was like reading a bad soap opera, and soap operas are pretty bad to begin with. Not a fan of Danielle Steel. Sorry Library Lady, I'm open to another suggestion though.
Meryan
Feb 05, 2016 Meryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coco Barrington has always been different from her overachieving family. Her Mother is a best-selling author, her older sister is a top producer. Coco is a dog-walker who lives in what her mother and sister call a shack at the beach. Jane and her lesbian partner have to go out of town and expect Coco to house and dog sit for them. Coco has always had trouble saying no to her overbearing sister so she agrees to do it. Her sister fails to mention that she has also invited a house guest, Leslie Bax ...more
Kathy jenkins
Mar 23, 2016 Kathy jenkins rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finally made it through my last book by this author. I know she's a favorite of millions, I'm sure her stories give them give them a sense of "happily ever after" that we all like but to me her writing is nothing but literary potato chips. A big salty and crunchy with zero long term value. The jacket touts this as a story of three "real couples"-- a mega movie star and his lady love who's 13 years younger, her famous author mother and her boy toy who is over twenty years younger and finally the ...more
Holli
Jul 16, 2016 Holli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked what another said on here in her review of this book...my Danielle Steel books are like comfort food to me too. I thoroughly enjoy them even though she has become repetitive and a bit dull. This book was more of the same but her books always make me wish my life could be a Danielle Steel novel. Wealthy, nice life and a few bits of controversy that work out in the end for a fairy tale ending. Nice.
Hana Saleh
There's something about Steel's books that I just can't get myself to digest. Her style is sophisticated, yet not smart enough. I'm saying this after reading a few of her novels and I almost always come out with similar impressions.

I managed to get myself to read till page 100 for this one and nothing really major seems to be happening. The story set up takes too long to bring itself together, hence slowing the pace. Most notions are pretty repetitive, like what Coco's family think about her hi
Linda
Aug 08, 2012 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed as at one time she was one of my favourite authors, but her books are too sugary sweet and have become and a bit too predictable. I was bored after awhile.
Suzanne
Some DS I remember, some I don't. This one I remember by the dog walker, and the trip she made across the brdge from her house to her sisters. I should review as I go!
Danielle Steel Bo...: One Day at a Time 4 14 Sep 29, 2015 05:12AM
  • When Twilight Comes (Mists of Fernhaven #1)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Sean's Reckoning (The Devaneys, #2)
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • 86'd
  • Lake Magic
  • Losing Charlotte
  • Frontier Courtship
  • Make Your Move (Harlequin Blaze, #542)
  • Heart of Gold (Rainbow Chasers #1)
  • Lying With the Dead
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • Velvet, Leather & Lace: A Man's Gotta Do/Calling the Shots/Baring It All
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

“a break at lunchtime. She hated” 0 likes
“them. She’s much too nice about it, but that’s the way she is.” Leslie almost said that that was why he loved her, but caught” 0 likes