Start by marking “The Cage (Baen Fantasy)” as Want to Read:
The Cage (Baen Fantasy)

The Cage (Fifth Millenium)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Habiku destroyed the trading house Megan had built from nothing and sold her into slavery, tearing down everything she valued. But Megan was not to be best ed, and with the barbarian Shkai'ra and others, she planned to wreak her vengeance in the most horrible way she could imagine--with the Cage.
Mass Market Paperback, 402 pages
Published March 1st 1991 by Baen (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cage

Melissa
Sep 01, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Many years ago I found this book at a flea market and the cover instantly caught my interest. I was dubious as to quality, I mean, the cover is rather cheesy, but I love fantasy, and the idea of a lesbian hero to my then teenage self proved irresistible.

This is one of the few books I've read that has stood up over time. Or rather that I love just as much as an adult as I did as a teen. Every few years I pull out my yellowed, shabby, much-loved copy and re-read it. And every time I fall in love a
Tracey
Feb 27, 2013 Tracey rated it it was amazing
ADORED this book. It opened the whole world of Fantasy for me - and two strong women??? I found Heaven!!! I read this book many times over the years and really loved the whole series. Wish the series went on and on....
Lianne Burwell
Aug 20, 2012 Lianne Burwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reread
I came across this while sorting through boxes of books, and felt the urge to reread it (as well as the other books in the Fifth Millenium series). I did start with this book, if only because it was the first book of the series that I read originally.

Megan Whitlock is a trader who was betrayed by a subordinate, who drugged her, raped her, and handed her to someone to kill, but that person decided to sell her as a slave instead (and make more money that way). Now she's on her way home, along with
John Davies
May 14, 2012 John Davies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did I love this book so much? I liked the idea of Megan and Shkai'ra.. Both warrior-women, and both clever and smart. The first thing that drew me to the book though, was Larry Elmore's fantastic cover. I've been a fan of Larry's since the Dragonlance books were first released, so pretty much any book that came out with one of his covers, I bought.
I liked the idea of the flitter-kitties, the feather-snakes, and Ten-Knife and the Ri. The supporting characters get a good back-story to explain
Amanda
May 22, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I am re-reading this book again for the 10+ time. I remember being amazed by it when I was younger because it dealt with a lesbian/bi couple in the lead character roles. And one of them has razorblade edged fingernails!

A great fantasy read and page turner, I consider it one of my comfort reads. Yes, only I would find a story about two-mismatched lesbians seeking revenge comforting!
Catherine
Nov 07, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
Well-done sword and sorcery epic with bi female protagonists and alternative family structure. I read this quite a while back, then ended up recommending it at a con panel recently. Thinking of revisiting the series.
Arianna
This was a very interesting fantasy novel; after having been used to Weiss/Hickman when it comes to 80s fantasy, this was quite different. Very, VERY densely full of description...sometimes to a distracting degree, which was annoying. This book too me *much* longer to read than I had anticipated - I was expecting a light fantasy novel for the summer. But it was far from that. Still, however, enjoyable in its uniqueness - the characters & storyline & races were all something to get used t ...more
T.L. Merrybard
Jun 27, 2014 T.L. Merrybard rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of the series that I came across and is still my favorite. I enjoy the bond between the strong women characters, and the different ideas of marriage and relationship in it. It's an enjoyable adventure, and I badly want one of those great big dogs. :)
Nathaniel
Sep 13, 2009 Nathaniel rated it it was ok
To be honest, I only got through this book because it had lesbian lead characters. Please don't think I'm shallow or chauvinistic. I just wanted something positive to say because I liked the author's other books. Skip this whole series and try something else.
Ceara
Ceara marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
William Howe
William Howe rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
James
James added it
Jun 08, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Henry Kite
Henry Kite marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Lara Lane
Lara Lane marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Katelyn
Katelyn marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Tim Adkins
Tim Adkins marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Sage
Sage marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Sondra Spalding
Sondra Spalding marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Ian Cruickshank
Ian Cruickshank marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Mj
Mj added it
Apr 09, 2016
Nancy Rivero-Cross
Nancy Rivero-Cross marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Ester
Ester marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
  • Shadow's Daughter
  • Counter-Measures (Forbidden Borders, #3)
  • The Door Into Shadow (Tale of the Five, # 2)
  • The Sea Hag
  • Bound in Blood (Kencyrath, #5)
  • Two-Bit Heroes (Ivory, #2)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)
  • Skeen's Leap (Skeen, #1)
  • Design for Great-Day
  • Burning Bright
  • Dark Nadir (Sholan Alliance, #5)
  • Sleipnir
  • The Independent Command (The Flight Engineer, #3)
  • The White Regiment (The Regiment, #2)
  • Anvil of the Sun (Cloak and Dagger, #1)
  • The Ecolitan Enigma (Ecolitan Matter, #4)
  • The Elfin Ship (Balumnia, #1)
Stephen Michael Stirling is a French-born Canadian-American science fiction and fantasy author. Stirling is probably best known for his Draka series of alternate history novels and the more recent time travel/alternate history Nantucket series and Emberverse series.

MINI AUTO-BIOGRAPHY:
(personal website: source)

I’m a writer by trade, born in France but Canadian by origin and American by naturalizat
More about S.M. Stirling...

Fifth Millenium (7 books)
  • Snowbrother
  • Shadow's Daughter
  • Saber and Shadow
  • Shadow's Son (Fifth Millennium Series)
  • Lion's Heart