Start by marking “Fashion Victim: Our Love-Hate Relationship with Dressing, Shopping, and the Cost of Style” as Want to Read:

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A riveting look inside the fashion world that exposes the truth about shopaholics, sweatshops, and celebrity closets.

Fashion—from the $1500 Prada bag to the $30 Kate Spade knock-off sold on the sidewalk—has been transformed from a commodity reserved for the elite to a powerful presence in mass market culture. As a society, we are obsessed with fashion and style, racking up
Published February 11th 2003 by Broadway

To ask other readers questions about Fashion Victim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fashion Victim

Miki
I thought this was going to be one of those "wear this, not that" rants (in which case I'm not sure why I picked it up!), but I was so wrong. Read it - I'll guarantee you'll never look at clothing or shopping the same way again.

Did you know...

*that Target runs one of the largest sweatshops for clothing trade, AND on US territory?

*that a dry-cleaned garment, after airing for 6 hours, has released only 20% of the cleaning chemicals in it? Chemicals which have been proven to be human carcinogenic?
Ayesha
To dismiss this as a "fashion" read would be a crime. Michelle Lee gives readers a look into the world of fashion: how they keep you buying, how fashion is used to determine class and how what you wear signals how willing you are to assimilate to the American culture. Whatever you do, don't judge this book by it's cover!
Gina
Rita
Based on the book's subtitle, I expected a fairly in-depth analysis of the industry and of consumer behavior. I should have realized that the cover was communicating a completely different message than the title, however--the book was rather shallow and the writing was magazine-style.
Daniela
witty and insightful!
Berenice
Berenice marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Marica Friman
Marica Friman marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Chet
Chet marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Team
Team marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Shoshi Glazer
Shoshi Glazer marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Jaclyn
Jaclyn is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Nourhan Nader
Nourhan Nader marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Cass
Cass added it
Apr 06, 2014
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Kilbone Ncube
Kilbone Ncube marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Bruna Lucin
Bruna Lucin marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
jf
jf marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Jai
Jai marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Forever Mine Diabetic Cookbook - 60 Easy and Mouth Watering Diabetic Friendly Snack Recipes that Even Your Family Love (Diabetic Cookbook Series) Diabetic Cookbook - 60 Easy and Mouth Watering Diabetic Friendly Lunch & Dinner Recipes that Even Your Family Love - VOL 2 (Diabetic Cookbook Series) THE UNEXPECTED PACKAGE The Unexpected Package