Start by marking “Fashion Victim: Our Love-Hate Relationship with Dressing, Shopping, and the Cost of Style” as Want to Read:

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A riveting look inside the fashion world that exposes the truth about shopaholics, sweatshops, and celebrity closets.

Fashion—from the $1500 Prada bag to the $30 Kate Spade knock-off sold on the sidewalk—has been transformed from a commodity reserved for the elite to a powerful presence in mass market culture. As a society, we are obsessed with fashion and style, racking up
Published February 11th 2003 by Broadway

To ask other readers questions about Fashion Victim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fashion Victim

Miki
I thought this was going to be one of those "wear this, not that" rants (in which case I'm not sure why I picked it up!), but I was so wrong. Read it - I'll guarantee you'll never look at clothing or shopping the same way again.

Did you know...

*that Target runs one of the largest sweatshops for clothing trade, AND on US territory?

*that a dry-cleaned garment, after airing for 6 hours, has released only 20% of the cleaning chemicals in it? Chemicals which have been proven to be human carcinogenic?
Ayesha
To dismiss this as a "fashion" read would be a crime. Michelle Lee gives readers a look into the world of fashion: how they keep you buying, how fashion is used to determine class and how what you wear signals how willing you are to assimilate to the American culture. Whatever you do, don't judge this book by it's cover!
Gina
Rita
Based on the book's subtitle, I expected a fairly in-depth analysis of the industry and of consumer behavior. I should have realized that the cover was communicating a completely different message than the title, however--the book was rather shallow and the writing was magazine-style.
Jaclyn
Some interesting bits of information, but given the book format, I expected and wanted more depth.
Daniela
witty and insightful!
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Amanda Hoover
Amanda Hoover marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Yelva
Yelva marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Marica Friman
Marica Friman marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Chet
Chet marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Vogue
Vogue marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Shoshi Glazer
Shoshi Glazer marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Forever Mine Diabetic Cookbook - 60 Easy and Mouth Watering Diabetic Friendly Snack Recipes that Even Your Family Love (Diabetic Cookbook Series) Diabetic Cookbook - 60 Easy and Mouth Watering Diabetic Friendly Lunch & Dinner Recipes that Even Your Family Love - VOL 2 (Diabetic Cookbook Series) THE UNEXPECTED PACKAGE The Unexpected Package