Start by marking “Fashion Victim: Our Love-Hate Relationship with Dressing, Shopping, and the Cost of Style” as Want to Read:

A riveting look inside the fashion world that exposes the truth about shopaholics, sweatshops, and celebrity closets.

Fashion—from the $1500 Prada bag to the $30 Kate Spade knock-off sold on the sidewalk—has been transformed from a commodity reserved for the elite to a powerful presence in mass market culture. As a society, we are obsessed with fashion and style, racking up
Published February 11th 2003 by Broadway

To ask other readers questions about Fashion Victim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fashion Victim

Miki
Sep 16, 2010 Miki rated it liked it
I thought this was going to be one of those "wear this, not that" rants (in which case I'm not sure why I picked it up!), but I was so wrong. Read it - I'll guarantee you'll never look at clothing or shopping the same way again.

Did you know...

*that Target runs one of the largest sweatshops for clothing trade, AND on US territory?

*that a dry-cleaned garment, after airing for 6 hours, has released only 20% of the cleaning chemicals in it? Chemicals which have been proven to be human carcinogenic?
Ayesha
Apr 26, 2008 Ayesha rated it liked it
To dismiss this as a "fashion" read would be a crime. Michelle Lee gives readers a look into the world of fashion: how they keep you buying, how fashion is used to determine class and how what you wear signals how willing you are to assimilate to the American culture. Whatever you do, don't judge this book by it's cover!
Gina
Feb 04, 2009 Gina rated it it was ok
Rita
Oct 23, 2009 Rita rated it it was ok
Based on the book's subtitle, I expected a fairly in-depth analysis of the industry and of consumer behavior. I should have realized that the cover was communicating a completely different message than the title, however--the book was rather shallow and the writing was magazine-style.
Jaclyn
Jun 15, 2015 Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Some interesting bits of information, but given the book format, I expected and wanted more depth.
Daniela
Aug 06, 2007 Daniela rated it liked it
witty and insightful!
Barbara Janicek
Barbara Janicek marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Lani
Lani marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Chikako Mann
Chikako Mann rated it did not like it
Mar 20, 2016
Sian Lewis-Harding
Sian Lewis-Harding rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Parastoo
Parastoo rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Elle Arnot
Elle Arnot rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2016
Lisa Schmeiser
Lisa Schmeiser rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2016
Iris
Iris rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
JazzbabyRosie
JazzbabyRosie marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Anita Smith
Anita Smith rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2015
Kindell Davis
Kindell Davis marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Missy Leon
Missy Leon rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Jcleyn
Jcleyn rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Joy Gross
Joy Gross rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Sheila M Chunis
Sheila M Chunis rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Jessica Reed
Jessica Reed rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Shellie
Shellie rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015