Start by marking “New Chronicles of Rebecca (Dodo Press)” as Want to Read:
New Chronicles of Rebecca (Dodo Press)

New Chronicles of Rebecca (Dodo Press)

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Kate Douglas Wiggin, nee Smith (1856-1923) was an American children's author and educator. She was born in Philadelphia, and was of Welsh descent. She started the first free kindergarten in San Francisco in 1878 (the "Silver Street Free Kindergarten"). With her sister in the 1880s she also established a training school for kindergarten teachers. Her best known books are Th ...more
Published September 28th 2007 by Dodo Press (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about New Chronicles of Rebecca, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Chronicles of Rebecca

Marsha
Apr 20, 2010 Marsha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wassnt really what I was expecting it to be. I wanted to further the story from where Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm left off. This book simply adds little additional adventures from the same timeline as the original book. It was a fun read but not nearly what I wanted it to be.
Hannah
Not as charming as the actual book; these are assorted short stories about additional adventures of Rebecca's—almost like extra tales that got edited out of "Sunnybrook Farm." But...it's still Rebecca, and still Kate Douglas Wiggin, so I loved it anyway!
Kristin King
In the same spirit as Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, this is a series of short pieces from across Rebecca's young life. My only disappointment was that it offered no further stories about her young adult life beyond those already in the first book.
BookSweetie
For readers who want more about the delightful Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm... This is not what I would call a sequel. Rather, it is an expansion of the first book with just a few hints at what happens next to the characters.

This feels quite like the writer had written many chapters (or ideas for chapters) and then decided to shorten the original book. Later, after the original book experienced success, the author then folded these various chapter ideas with reminders of the first to give it mor
Sara
Jan 02, 2011 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
"Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" was a dear friend of my youth and happening upon this book in the children's cart was a happy accident. I was sadly disappointed! This book is a disjointed series of rather depressing episodes followed by Rebecca and Emmajane reminiscing over their original adventures and the few just mentioned. The timing seems to weave in and out of the original story? (It's been a while since I've read it!) It was nice to see Emmajane's romance but Rebecca's lack thereof was disap ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
If you are hoping for more of the vintage charm of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, don't bother. This book does, however, lead me to wonder if every book, no matter how boring or insipid, doesn't have one worthwhile sentence within. In this case, it's this: "There is a kind of magicness about going far away and then coming back all changed." (If you agree you can go here to add it to your Goodreads quotes.)

Dates approximate.
Kymm Zuckert
Re-read. Not as good as the first, but as it goes on, it grows on you. I love the story of Mr. Simpson.
Amalie
"New Chronicles of Rebecca" is a mixed bag. It was somewhat disappointing after having read the Sunnybrook Farm.

This consists of chronologically arranged stories about Rebecca starting around 12 and ending when she's 18 years old. I didn't find anything remarkable about those tales.
Joanna
Dec 18, 2008 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm is one of my favorite children's books. Actually, one of my favorite books period. This is a sequel, and I have not read it for many years, so I am looking forward to it. I read R of SBF at least once a decade.
Alexandria
Jan 08, 2010 Alexandria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Enjoyed the stories that fill in spaces in Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, but wish they were more focused on Rebecca. Would be interesting to place them where they fit into Rebecca and read them all at once.
Lynna
Lynna rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Lacie
Lacie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Mrs Borden
Mrs Borden rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Bonnie L Tomlinson
Bonnie L Tomlinson marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
BobbieJ
BobbieJ marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Laura Hummel
Laura Hummel marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Abigail
Abigail rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Michelle O Connell
Michelle O Connell rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Clockery Fairfeld
Clockery Fairfeld marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Vida
Vida rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Bethanne
Bethanne rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Hadassah Gaines
Hadassah Gaines is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2016
Becky Feldt
Becky Feldt marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Vanh
Vanh marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • Just David
  • A Garland for Girls
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • Practically Seventeen (Tobey Heydon, #1)
  • Mother
  • The Lively Lady
  • The Year of Jubilo
  • Flambards Divided (Flambards, #4)
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • The Substitute Guest
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • That Printer of Udell's
  • The Little Colonel
  • Stories from the Growing Years (Grandma's Attic #10)
  • The Wizard of Oz Series
  • Rainbow Garden
  • The Jungle Book ; Just So Stories
Kate Douglas Smith Wiggin

More about Kate Douglas Wiggin...

“There is a kind of magicness about going far away and then coming back all changed.” 72 likes