Start by marking “A Boy Had a Mother Who Bought Him a Hat” as Want to Read:
A Boy Had a Mother Who Bought Him a Hat

A Boy Had a Mother Who Bought Him a Hat

3.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
What's a boy to do when his mom buys him everything he wants? Should he take his new toys everywhere?
Published March 16th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published October 1976)

To ask other readers questions about A Boy Had a Mother Who Bought Him a Hat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Boy Had a Mother Who Bought Him a Hat

Gail Barge
This is a building story. It reminded me of a "The old woman who swallowed a..." books. This could be good for sequencing or predictions. It could also be really fun to act out with students! The rhyme in the story is generally good, a little forced every once in a while. Overall, a cute book to use as a read aloud!
Danielle
Oct 07, 2015 Danielle rated it liked it
This is a story about a boy who sort of plays dress up. He tries on new clothes, but is always wearing the hat his mother bought him. At the end of the book, we see that his hat has blown away, and that his mother says she will buy him a new one.

I think that I would use this to show that even boys dress up in funny clothes, and borrow stuff from their fathers closet. It's important that children see there aren't gender based activities.
Kristin
Mar 02, 2010 Kristin rated it really liked it
My son likes to collect hats. His favorites are a camouflage, mossy leaf hunting hat, his bling hat and his grandpa’s old rabbit fur Arctic expedition hat. He wears them everywhere he goes at all times of the year. It is a battle to take them away during the hot days of summer. So, what happens when your son decides to bring every new item he receives everywhere he goes until they continue to pile up? Find out in in this rhyming escapade where a boy is given a red hat by his mother to keep off t ...more
Treasa
Oct 15, 2010 Treasa rated it really liked it
What fun! This is a delightful book. The story builds on itself, reminiscent of "The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly," "The House that Jack Built," and other stories of that sort. It starts so reasonably - the mother buys the boy a hat. But gradually the items she buys become more and more outrageous, especially since the boy insists on taking the bought items everywhere with him.

The text rhymes, but in an refreshing way - it doesn't seem forced or trite. And the whimsical illustrations work well w
Ruth
Apr 22, 2016 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, 2016
This one is fun to read aloud. The repeating rhymes and sounds make it a delight, and the illustrations are great.
Camille
This is one of those fun stacking rhymes (Cumulative structure to be exact) like I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly, where the more you add on, the more fun it is to read and there are opportunities for audience interaction.
Rachel
Apr 09, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
Lots of silly fun. Love the accumulation of the objects, rhyme is solid. Puzzle, the seasons keep changing in the illustrations with no apparent time passing, its very confusing.
Lorna
Aug 25, 2014 Lorna rated it liked it
Fun rhyming text that reminded of the way Dr. Seuss books like Green Eggs Eggs and Ham build or repeat phrases. I loved Kevin Hawkes illustrations.
Tam
May 21, 2012 Tam rated it liked it
My 5-year-old liked this rhyming book. It's similar to "This is the House that Jack built" where it builds onto the sentences each time.
Molly
Oct 11, 2010 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
So much fun to read aloud! I'm going to add this to my storytime collection. The rhymes reminded me of Seuss meets Silverstein.
Dawn
Jul 07, 2010 Dawn rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A picture book in the "There was an old woman who swallowed a fly" format. Too long for storytime.
Connie Klever
Great rhyming book, cute story and illustrations. Could be used for clothing storytime.
Finny
May 22, 2011 Finny rated it liked it
Mommy says: More fun to read aloud than probably to listen to!
Lynn
Apr 06, 2010 Lynn rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I didn't enjoy this story at all.
Angelica Santiago
Angelica Santiago rated it it was ok
Feb 29, 2016
Katie
Katie added it
Dec 31, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Dayle
Dayle rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2015
Laura Elisabeth
Laura Elisabeth rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Raising Readers
Raising Readers marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
M
M added it
Mar 29, 2015
Jared Leaman
Jared Leaman rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
G Howard
G Howard marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Leland Jack
Leland Jack rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Cristi
Cristi rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Ed
Ed rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Karla Kuskin was an author and illustrator of children's literature, as well as a frequent reviewer of books.
More about Karla Kuskin...