Start by marking “Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)

Pulse (Chess Team Adventure #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  3,710 Ratings  ·  207 Reviews
Imagine a world where soldiers regenerate and continue fighting without pause, where suicide bombers live to strike again and again. This is the dream of Richard Ridley, founder of Manifold Genetics, and he has just discovered the key to eternal life: an ancient artifact buried beneath a Greek-inscribed stone in the Peruvian desert.

When Manifold steals the artifact and abd
Published March 2nd 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published May 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Pulse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pulse

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is the second book I've read by Robinson, and I can say I like his style. In Secondworld, he had neo-Nazis who have a sinister plan to destroy the world except for 'their kind'. In Pulse, he deals with an amoral billionaire whose plan is to live forever, and make money on the medical technology by selling it to the highest bidder. Throw in some Greek mythology and it's golden. Pulse is a good combination of high octane action and monster thriller.

I had no idea what to expect, and I honestly
Freda Malone
May 25, 2016 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to finish this first in the series. Much like James Rollins, this author has a talent for creating a science fiction historical novel, that packs a punch. However, my favorite is still James Rollins.

Similar to the Sigma Force Team, The Chess Team seems to also have a variety of special ops individuals who are out to save the world and keep it safe. This one is related to the historical Greek Gods and one in particular, Hercules. Having slain a triple headed serpent/dragon
Traci
Sep 23, 2011 Traci rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Fun popcorn entertainment. Action with a touch of science and horror. I will definitely continue. Recommended for action seekers and fans of made for syfy movies.
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Pulse by Jeremy Robinson is a combination thriller/action/adventure/science fiction novel and the first novel of Robinson's Chess Team series. The Chess Team is an elite Delta Force unit, led by handler Deep Blue, whose members each use a chess piece as their call sign - King, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook. This was pure action-packed entertainment.

In this debut outing, the Chess Team are called in to try to save Dr. George Pierce, who was taken hostage in Peru by forces for Richard Ridley, the he
Waven
This was my first taste of Jeremy Robinson and it left me wanting more of his work. Pulse erupts from the starting gate like a jet and never lets up, balancing tension and action with character input and intriguing plotlines. The characters never fully develop but are real enough to garner empathy, and the shadows of their personalities seem to blend well with their special-ops identities. The plot incorporates the fantastic in a (mostly) believable way without retreating into cliches, heightene ...more
Alycia
Aug 29, 2012 Alycia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Okay, so some books are well written and some not so much. This one grabbed you, placed you on a roller-coaster from hell and pressed the "full speed ahead" button. I like to enjoy my books and not over analyze them, especially when they are from the fiction section, so here goes:

One, I love the reference to chess. Love it. Don't ever stop it, ever.
Two, the "stunts" that were in this book were believable. I didn't get the "yeah right" moment that happens all too much in adventure novels. They m
Zoya Cheboksarova
I owe Mr Robinson my honest review it'll be brief and very subjective : First it is mix of action/thriller/adventure/science and mixing so many genres not easy but in my humble opinion Mr Robinson did it quite well , even though there were moments I didn't like ;P Second I did enjoyed the plot but what I didn't like was this harsh jumping from really thrilled actions to bored quietness during the whole story. Third and last the Chess team, sorry but I keep comparing them with the Sigma Force, an ...more
Armand
As fun as a barrel of monkey... heads. A barrel of gore-soaked monkey heads.

Pulse is a B-movie in a book about the "Delta Chess Team", a super-elite paramilatary superteam (All their call-signs are of chess pieces. eg: Their leader is "King", the sole female member is "Queen", etc.) that fights evil etc. etc. In this book, the Delta Team must take on an evil corporation that is trying to use the genes of the mythical Hydra (it's real- surprise!) to create an army of regenerating super soldiers.
Sean Ellis
Jun 17, 2009 Sean Ellis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is, forget the summer blockbusters; pop some popcorn and settle in with this thrill ride. Pulse is the first novel to feature the Chess team, five elite military operatives named for, you guessed it, chess pieces and guided by the mysterious and seemingly omniscient figure known as Deep Blue. In their first outing, the mission is personal as King, the team leader, sets out to rescue his closest friend, archaeologist George Pierce, from the clutches of Richard Ridley, a megalomaniac ...more
Tressa
May 03, 2010 Tressa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2010
I was expecting way more Greek mythology and less military ops in Pulse. What a disappointment! It's well written, but is one of those military ops stories where a small band of uber humans can lower themselves into any situation and take out a group three times larger. It became comical in a superhero-Saturday-cartoon kind of way. Even though it's a quick read, it seemed like the story would never end. Go figure.

If you're thinking this will be a cool book heavy on the archaeology, history, myth
Ctgt
Nov 12, 2012 Ctgt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
Probably 3.5 star book. I've read quite a few thrillers in the past several months and this was didn't have quite the breakneck speed of the others. Still a good read.
Paul
Jul 25, 2011 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buried in the Peruvian desert, sealed beneath a Greek-inscribed stone, lies a legendary relic which may hold the key to life itself, By extracting its DNA, Richard Ridley of Manifold Genetics hopes to bio-engineer the ultimate weapon – an army of soldiers who regenerate and continue to fight without stopping. The prefect killing machines…

Enter Special Forces commander Jack “King” Sigler and his “Chess Team” of highly trained operators. Under the president’s orders, they must intercept Ridley’s g
Nicole
3.5 STARS

There isn't a moment to take a breath with Pulse. It's jam-packed with action and the clever changes from one character's POV to another kept me flipping the pages well past my bedtime.

Robinson's writing style reminds me a lot of Matthew Reilly, perhaps my favourite action/adventure author, and his Jack West Jr Series. I only hope that Robinson explores the different personalities and relationships between the Chess team as well as Reilly does.

I love a good biological disaster/genetic
Elizabeth
This was an exciting book. I felt like I was reading a movie. It is almost non-stop action. While this isn't what I typically read, I did like it. The blend of explosive action/adventure, intriguing mythology, and a bit of the fantastical was very enjoyable. The Chess Team members were likable and interesting and the bad guy was satisfyingly villainous. I hope that there are more Chess Team adventures to come.
Julie Carter
Apr 22, 2015 Julie Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a monstrous adventure! I loved this fast-paced techno thriller and can't wait to continue the series. I have already listened to 2 of the books further along in the series, so it is nice to start at the beginning and fill in some of the blanks. I love the character development in this story and the science mixed with mythology that went along with it. The audio version was excellent and I enjoyed listening .
Jeffrey
Not a huge fan of this book. I did finish it, but I really forced myself to, mainly because I didn't care.

I don't like books that has no mystery to it. Books that tell both sides of the story, don't hold my interest. Actually, I think it would have been just fine and a much better book if we didn't know what was going on until the delta guys did.

Probably won't read any more of the series.
Lee
Nov 28, 2012 Lee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Krishna
Oct 04, 2014 Krishna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my best books so far. Very interesting plot, good and interesting character development. Overall a very good concept.Will definitely read his next books.Chess team rules.!!!!
Natasa
Apr 02, 2016 Natasa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, military, action
Can't wait to read the other books and series.
Jeremy Robinson rocks.
Just as Jeremy Bishop. Loved Refuge.
Vaelin
Jan 23, 2014 Vaelin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended to any action/adventure fan!
Jeremy
Nov 26, 2010 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is the German edition of PULSE, so I'm partial to it. :)
Gerald
Oct 27, 2016 Gerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You have the US government-sponsored Chess Team going hard after Ridley, a man who has discovered a mythical monster called the hydra that has the ability to regenerate wounded body parts. His plan is to tweak this otherworldly ability, fit it into humans with the help of foremost geneticists, achieve immortality and sell his discovery to the highest bidder.
Everything inbetween was some hide-and-seek between the Chess team and Ridley, making for a very entertainig pump-action adventure.
Katrina Morgan
I did not actually choose to purchase this book. I'd seen it in a second-hand store and purchased it for my boys, thinking the adventure and military back plot would interest them.
I then found myself with no new books to read--an unexpected and unacceptable anomoly.
Spying this book sitting on a table, I decided to give it a try and was actually surprised. One of the first scenes moved the characters and story to Peru and concentrated on an artifact hidden under one of the Nazca Lines. It intri
Divya
Sep 30, 2016 Divya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dan Brown created his own niche in fiction - delving into historical facts bordering on fantasy. Michael Crichton specialized in bringing deadly extinct predators back to life, and Robin Cook makes up illegal ground-breaking biological research. In this book Jeremy Robinson tried to combine all of that, spun together by a thread of fast-paced military action and thus ended up creating a story that really does not have roots anywhere.

The Hydra and proof of Hercules's existence end up becoming sid
Jeremy
Jun 15, 2009 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of James Rollins, Mattew Reilly, Jeff Long, and other thrillers
Shelves: my-thrillers
This is my newest thriller and my first hard cover! Here is what some of my favorite authors and top reviewers are saying about the book:

"Robinson’s latest reads like a video game with tons of action and lots of carnage. The combination of mythology, technology, and high-octane action proves irresistible. Gruesome and nasty in a good way, this will appeal to readers of Matthew Reilly."
-- Booklist

"Raiders of the Lost Arc meets Tom Clancy meets Saturday matinee monster flick with myths, monsters,
Marcus
Jun 08, 2011 Marcus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not too bad actually, comes across as a hybrid of a Bond movie and an Indiana Jones flick...and at times, a low budget sci-fi channel movie. If you're a fan of James Rollins you'll probably enjoy Pulse. Both writers use contemporary sci-fi and a Delta Force team in their stories: Rollins has Sigma Force, Robinson writes about Chess Team. Having read both, I feel Rollins' story & characters are a bit more realistic than Robinson's. The latter's are excessively over-the-top, almost caricatures ...more
Trish
Jun 26, 2014 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Chess Team book, my second novel by Jeremy Robinson. And I'm not impressed with either. The first book I read had almost the same problem as this one: good basic idea, thrilling, gripping, but at a certain point it just becomes too aloof.

In this case I was already slightly annoyed at the start when reading about the oh-so-perfect-and-formidable special operators of the US Delta Force and all the justifications for how and why they do what they do and why it is OK when they do it but not
Joy
If there's one word to describe Jeremy Robinson's writing style, it is "organized". When I saw this at the bookstore, I felt a "pull", like it was talking to me, yelling in that little voice "pick me! Pick me!" so I did.

This is the first book I've read from Mr Robinson and I was really impressed. I never got lost, never got bored, everything was explained in detail, it's specifically biological science fiction (not the futuristic ones with aliens), combined with Greek mythology, military action,
Steve
Mar 24, 2010 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pulse was my second experience with Jeremy Robinson's writing. An excerpt from Pulse was placed at the end of Kronos, and that alone was enough to send me scurrying online order Pulse. And to put it plainly, it was not a disappointment. Pulse is a wild adventure that spans the globe as it takes the reader on a journey through genetic manipulation and Greek mythology.

The novel centers around a Delta Force squad whose team leader inadvertently stumbles upon a series of mutated creatures while help
Ariel
I took a peek at one of the other reviews, and someone had mentioned this was the perfection "popcorn" novel. And I completely agree with that sentiment!

Pulse by Jeremy Robinson is a thriller based around a team of American commandos that are "off the grid" or not sponsored by any real military organization in the US and so do not exist. Their callsigns are based off that of a chessboard, with King obviously being the leader of this 5 man team of King, Queen, Bishop, Rook, and Knight with Deep B
  • Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1)
  • Ancients (Event Group Thriller #3)
  • Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw, #1)
  • Rogue Wave
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • Hunter
  • The Breach (Travis Chase, #1)
  • Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1)
  • Scarecrow Returns (Shane Schofield, #5)
Jeremy Robinson (aka Jeremy Bishop and Jeremiah Knight) was born in the sometimes mysterious seacoast town of Beverly, Massachusetts. From a young age his father fostered a love for Science Fiction and all things monstrous. He grew up on thick doses of Superman, Batman, X-men, Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek and Godzilla—creative fuel for the future.

He began his creative career
More about Jeremy Robinson...

Chess Team Adventure (8 books)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
  • Ragnarok (Chess Team Adventure, #4)
  • Omega (Chess Team Adventure, #5)
  • Savage (Chess Team Adventure, #6)
  • Cannibal (Chess Team Adventure, #7)
  • Empire (Chess Team Adventure #8)