Start by marking “God's Handmaiden” as Want to Read:
God's Handmaiden

God's Handmaiden

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Gervase Howard, a young nurse serving under Florence Nightingale in the Crimea, returns home to care for a young nobleman who lies in a coma---the only man she has ever loved, but who is married to someone else.
Published May 26th 2009 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about God's Handmaiden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Handmaiden

Elizabeth
Gervase Howard is a young fifteen year old girl who is thrown into a frightening new world when she loses her Mother, and is sent to live with her aunt and uncle at their home of Kimberly, where they work as the head cook and gardener. She takes along her trusted friend and furry kitty companion Mr.Bob, and is befriended by the master and mistress's oldest son Davis who she develops feelings for as the years pass.

Through encounters with bullies, and in one instance almost losing her furry friend
Lynnda Ell
The horrors of war in the 19th century make the battlefield destruction of the 21st century look humane. Going to war during that era, was a death sentence. Rampant diseases, little or no care of the wounded, and a cavalier attitude about supplying soldiers with food made the risks of death almost a certainty.

Florence Nightingale's work to improve care of the war wounded is the backdrop of this romance that Gilbert Morris treats with his usual excellent writing style. The twists and turns of th
Barbara
This is great Christian historical fiction. It contains a wonderful account of some of the activities and accomplishments of Florence Nightingale as part of the novel. She is not the main character, but an important one. I loved the fact that there was a plot twist I did not totally expect, and romance, faith, moral dilemmas, moral failures and their consequences, and mystery are all present. The only reason it did not get five stars from me were that some of the scenes dealing with the war were ...more
Omi
Inspite some of my dislikes about this book, one thing that really gripped me in this book was the fact that it has some great historical content, including some detailed thigns about Florence Nightingale. I also really liked one of the sub-characters and how her part in the story turned out.
Susan
Mr. Morris writes excellent historical fiction. This book gives the reader glimpses into the life of Florence Nightingale. Looking forward to hearing more by Gilbert Morris.
Dawnmcd
I always enjoy Mr. Morris's books. This one was no exception. A nice easy romance with nice detail about the time period that made to interested to find out more. I like how it has shades of Jane Eyre to it as well.
Sue
A new author for me - found it in a Christian Fiction display at the library. Good bits of history mixed with a nice love story.
Melissa
It was okay. It kept me reading, but it was a little too much like some of his other books.
Kim
He is a really good author I came across his books in the library and really enjoyed reading them
Annie
I like the historical content in this book. Good story.
Christina
reminds me of Jane Eyre. Really good book!
Odetta
Sep 30, 2012 Odetta marked it as sent-back  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Odetta by: Talking Books
Crimean War
Mary Armstrong
Mary Armstrong marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Miechele Summers
Miechele Summers marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Virginia Hammond
Virginia Hammond marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
  • Journey to Riverbend
  • Lily (Song of the River #1)
  • The Glassblower (Heartsong Presents)
  • Summer Dream (Seasons of the Heart #1)
  • Pirate Hunter
  • Where Leads The Heart  (Wyoming #1)
  • Driven With the Wind  (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #8)
  • A Blue and Gray Christmas
  • How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History #4)
  • A Memory Between Us (Wings of Glory, #2)
  • The Reavers
  • Nightingale
  • Her Good Name
  • Springtime of the Spirit (The Great War, #3)
  • Flight of the Earls (Heirs of Ireland #1)
  • Loving Liza Jane (Little Hickman Creek #1)
  • Traces of Mercy
  • Hearts Stolen (Texas Romance #2)
The Honorable Imposter: 1620 (The House of Winslow) Sword of Truth The Indentured Heart: 1740 (The House of Winslow) The Captive Bride (The House of Winslow, #2) The Gentle Rebel: 1775 (The House of Winslow)