Start by marking “On Beulah Height (Dalziel & Pascoe, #17) ” as Want to Read:
On Beulah Height (Dalziel & Pascoe, #17)

On Beulah Height (Dalziel & Pascoe, #17) (Dalziel & Pascoe #17)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  2,580 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Into thin air...

Three little girls, one by one, had vanished from the farming village of Dendale. And Superintendent Andy Dalziel, a young detective in those days, never found their bodies--or the person who snatched them. Then the valley where Dendale stood was flooded to create a reservoir, and the town itself ceased to be . . . except in Dalziel's memory.

Twelve years la
Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Published September 7th 1999 by Dell (first published 1998)

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieThe Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieThe Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha ChristieThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Best British Crime/Mystery Fiction
315th out of 878 books — 1,030 voters
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichDeath on the Nile by Agatha Christie
Best Detective/Mystery Series
491st out of 1,489 books — 1,746 voters

More lists with this book...

Reginald Hill – 17th in series
With modernity raising its head in Yorkshire, the Water Board decided to flood a local valley to make a reservoir. Of course they had to bulldoze the homes of Dendale, and relocate the families. That was when three little girls disappeared. Andy Dalziel, a young detective in those days, took the case hard. No bodies were ever found, and the best suspect, Benny Lightfoot, was held for a time, then released. Twelve years later, due to drought, the
Jan 02, 2008 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: meh-at-you
I was hunting forums for recommended reading and found this book. I'm not a big mystery fan but I found this an interesting read, what I didn't like is that I must have misunderstood and I thought that this was the first in a series but from what I can gather, I'm plum in the middle of it. So, I felt like there was all this stuff I was missing out on. The story kept my attention, the Yorkshire accent kind of drove me crazy after awhile though. I don't think that I'll read anymore of them though.
May 26, 2008 Kathy rated it really liked it
Brit Reginald Hill's detectives psychologically suave Pascoe and "The Fat Man" Yorkie Dalziel crime-solving skills are relatively unknown to American audiences. Yet, I found this book refreshing in its language of the English countryside - moors, fells, dales - and Dalziel's Yorkshire dialect - owt, nowt, and summat for ought, nothing, and something.

Beyond the language, the plot is finely woven and I didn't discern "who dunit" till the final pages. I'm ready for another Dalziel and Pascoe myster
Apr 16, 2009 J.R. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
One of the earlier entries in the Dalziel and Pascoe series. Early in his career, Dalziel had failed to solve the disappearance of three little girls. Now, 15 years later, another girl is missing. A disturbing mystery with lots of twists and turns.
Koji Mukai
Jun 21, 2009 Koji Mukai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is perhaps the best Dalziel and Pascoe novel yet, which is saying quite a lot. Maybe it’s the maturity of characters; not content to rehash the same old banter between Andy Dalziel, Peter Pascoe and Ellie, he’s first developed Wield and now Novello into a full team member. Also some of the one-off characters are memorable in this novel.
Jill Hutchinson
Jun 10, 2010 Jill Hutchinson rated it really liked it
Another gem in the Dalziel/Pascoe series. The story revolves around missing children in instances that are 12 years apart. In the first disappearances Dalziel and "Wieldy" (his recently out-of-the-closet Sergeant Wield) investigated and were unsuccesful in bringing anyone to justice. Now it has happened again and they are back along with Pascoe with a sense of deja vu. The sudden and serious illness of Pascoe's daughter takes him away and the majority of the investigation falls to Dalziel, Wield ...more
Feb 19, 2011 J.D. rated it liked it
The plot of this book is somewhat reminiscent of Peter Robinson's IN A DRY SEASON: a small English village once drowned in the construction of a reservoir is uncovered during a severe drought, and its secrets begin to come to light. (Was there a lot of this going on in Britain in the late 90s?)

In any case, Hill's take on it is naturally different from Robinson's: in this one, the receding waters and the reappearance of the village coincide with the disappearance of a young girl, powerfully remi
Jun 23, 2011 yexxo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, krimi
Das kleine Dorf Dendale (bzw. das, was davon übriggeblieben ist), untergegangen in den Fluten eines Stausees zusammen mit dem Rätsel über drei verschwundene kleine Mädchen, taucht nach 15 Jahren nach einer langen Hitzeperiode wieder empor. Und mit ihm auch der damals verdächtige Benny? Graffity im benachbarten Ort Danby, wo die meisten der Bewohner Dendales nun leben, behaupten dies zumindest. Und als erneut ein kleines Mädchen verschwindet, scheint die Lage klar: Benny ist wieder da!
Oct 13, 2011 Tony rated it it was amazing
ON BEULAH HEIGHT. (1998). Reginald Hill. *****.
Hill is a masterful writer of dense and labyrinthine mysteries. His two protagonists are detectives from the mid-Yorkshire district (where is that?) in England. The pair play off of each other in a nip and tuck manner, but it is easy to tell that Dalziel is the master and Pascoe is the apprentice. In this case, a yung girl has gone missing, not an unusual case, but one which raises the specter of a case from fifteen years earlier where three young
Kathy Davie
Apr 10, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Seventeenth in the Dalziel and Pascoe mystery series set in contemporary Mid-Yorkshire.

My Take
Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow...this was good. Can ya tell...I think this was good. I'm still a bit

I actually thought I was reading the first book in the series and I was so impressed by how well entrenched all the characters were. You truly can read this story out of its order as Hill doesn't leave you wondering what you've missed. Instead, I fell into their story in total comfort. As thou
Jules Jones
One of the more disturbing books in the Dalziel and Pascoe series, in part because of the theme of serial child killing, but also because it shows that there are no easy answers. It's a complex and thought-provoking story, and one that easily supports re-reading. There is the mystery, yes, but there is also the psychological study of a village traumatised both by a series of unsolved child murders and by its forced relocation after its valley was drowned by a new water reservoir. It's also beaut ...more
Jul 23, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good read. The mystery was compelling and it was also told in a very interesting way. Accounts of past unsolved crimes are mixed with the current investigation and the developments in the private lives of the main characters giving the whole book a rounded feel, as if we learn not just the story of the crime, but the effects of past trauma and how people's attitudes and feelings are altered by events.
Ibukun Akinnawo
Nov 24, 2012 Ibukun Akinnawo rated it really liked it
I loved it in the end! It was a little difficult for me to understand it at first because of the unfamiliar slangs and weird looking sentences but I got a hang of it somewhere in the middle and I loved it.
Melinda Worfolk
Feb 25, 2013 Melinda Worfolk rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, 2006
This was the first Dalziel and Pascoe mystery I read, and it was very good. I love an intelligent mystery, and this was definitely one of those. I liked the complexity. The cover led me to believe it would be spooky and very serious, and parts of it are definitely serious, but there is also humour and warmth.
Adrian Piazza
Jun 29, 2013 Adrian Piazza rated it really liked it
I am reading Reginald Hill's Dalziel & Pascoe novels in order of publication. I have found the broad range in tone, perspective, and psychological drama to keep me interested in the characters. I'll always pick up the next in this series.
Ann-Mari Maukonen
Ett nytt vattenmagasin behövdes i Yorkshire, och att en urgammal dalby i en avfolkningsbygd dränktes föreföll vara ett ringa pris för en tryggad vattentillgång. De styrande tvingade varenda människa i Dendale att flytta den där långa heta sommaren för femton år sedan. De till och med grävde upp byns döda och flyttade dem också.

Men fyra Dendalebor kunde de inte flytta, för ingen visste var de befann sig. De var tre småflickor som hade försvunnit under de månader då dammen byggdes, samt den främst
Sep 05, 2013 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
"On Beulah Height" is the first book I've read by Reginald Hill. I came across it almost by accident - through a swap on Another member wanted to do a trade and I couldn't find anything on her shelf that I recognized, so I decided to take a chance on this book, based on its synopsis.

Wow! I am so glad I did. Hill's work epitomizes everything that is good about British mysteries: a small village, eccentric characters, wry humor, flawed, but brilliant detectives, suspenseful, but
Jan 17, 2014 FittenTrim rated it liked it
A detective story with a painfully slow start which builds to a strong finish. A team of police detectives with their own lives and inner turmoils search for a missing girl... the case might have ties to a series of missing girls from 12years earlier. Hill takes a few fun digressions from the main story to tell the tale of a children's fable: Nina and the Nix, as well as a series of pysch evals and lyrics to a classical piece called 'Songs for Dead Children' ... which tie nicely into the resolut ...more
Doug Gillan
May 14, 2014 Doug Gillan rated it liked it
It may be impossible to join a series at the 17th book and fully appreciate it. I read this because it was one of two books that I had not yet read on a list of the top 10 mystery novels. I didn't want to read 16 other books in order to get to this. Plus, as a top 10 book, it should stand on its own, right? Or so I reasoned. I found it to be very overwritten, not a taut thriller, but a comfortable, fat read, kind of like fat Andy Dalziel, the lovable old teddy bear of a detective who is one of t ...more
Rebecca Hazell
Jul 29, 2014 Rebecca Hazell rated it it was amazing
Reginald Hill is a true original (or was--he's no longer with us). He paces his books beautifully; can make you laugh and cry, sometimes in the same sentence; and he never follows any kind of formula. You love (and kind of hate one of) his characters, who are fully realized, you know they may not even get the bad guy, and sometimes you realize that there was never any crime committed!

In On Beulah Height, he interweaves past and present into a chilling, yet heartbreaking, tale of loss: of a drown
May 27, 2016 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
The New York Times called it "...part meditation on the love and loss of children..." and I ended up reading most of it while waiting in a children's hospital ... not that I shy away from being blatantly subjective, but I think I shut out a certain empathy so as not to freak out. Part of the "meditation" is frequent reference to the text of Mahler's Kindertotenlieder, and I felt like that got a little too frequent.

The plot ticked along the way it should, but it's the way Reginald Hill plays sce
Jan 03, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I have read all the Dalziel & POascoe books by REginald Hill, but I remember thinking when I finished this one that I had just read the most finely crafted mystery/crime book every written. It's been a while so I don't remember all the reasons, but I know it was a clever crime that you didn't see coming, and that there were some intriguing clues that led to the solution.
Jan 27, 2015 Jean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Great mystery. It's a bit longer than the usual, but the read was interesting on every page.
In mid-Yorkshire, 15 years before, 3 girls went missing just before a small town was due to be flooded to create a dam. Then 15 years later, a drought brought the area to view again - and another girl went missing.
I haven't read many of the Dalziel and Pascoe detective mysteries because I couldn't deal with Dalziel. Strange man, not the usual detective. But I'm now a definite fan. The story is told from
Jul 08, 2015 Teddy rated it it was ok
I think I have had an overload of thinking about bad things happening to children lately and this just came along at the wrong time. Fortunately it is all fictional (movies, books, tv shows), but it still gets to be too much.
mr. 阿創
Oct 13, 2015 mr. 阿創 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 小說, 偵探
《走進天堂前的最後一站》係這系列的第17作,在台灣則是第四部中文譯作,距離中文前作《骸骨與沉默》(原系列第11作),故事中間隔了三部長篇一部中篇一部短篇。所以當巴仕可不時掉入「前案」的情緒陷阱時,台灣讀者也落入摸不著頭緒的窘境,幸好,這種情況既少且短更不妨礙情節推展,只是不能一窺雷金納的作品全貌實在感到可惜。雷金納佈局縝密,在他筆下的英國農村鄉間清新迷人,當我讀完最後一頁,翻到封面,看著原書名《On Beulah Height》,不禁感佩萬分。作者以破題的方式選擇書名,讀者單從題目要破解懸案仍是難上加難,唯有跟隨雷金納的腳步,由他為讀者理清錯綜複雜的脈絡娓娓道來,有如站在碧烏拉荒地上,舉目四望是被水淹覆的舊時村莊,伊莉莎白高聲朗唱著〈亡兒之歌〉:「碧烏拉山上晴和朗麗」。
Jan 27, 2016 Surreysmum rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, passed-on, 2015
Aug 23, 2016 Ginnz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not an easy book to read. The writing wasn't bad and the story was good but the subject matter was a little hard. I'm glad I preserved because the last 70 pages were great.
Three little girls go missing 15 years ago and the chief suspect is a local lad called Benny Lightfoot. The town had been marked to be moved so the valley can be made into a reservoir and before they find the girls or the chief suspect, who has gone missing, the valley is flooded.
15 years later a new girl goes missing and som
Apr 05, 2016 Felicity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to this book in the Dalziel and Pascoe series as I remembered it being one of the best episodes in the BBC series. This was even better than the episode!

15 years ago the Waterboard decided to flood and bulldoze the village of Dendale and just before the villagers moved 3 young girls were taken and never found and the prime suspect Benny Lightfoot vanished. Now another girl from the nearby village of Danby has gone missing and there is graffiti saying "Benny's Back."

This ha
Samantha Norman
Sep 09, 2016 Samantha Norman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is a superb, one of my favourite novels of all time. You'd be mad not to read it.
Lucy Takeda
Sep 28, 2016 Lucy Takeda rated it really liked it
I read this entire series about 30 years ago, and found the combination of Dalziel, Pascoe, and Wield compelling. I reread this after being sidelined by a burnt leg. The novel is about a trilogy of child disappearances that Dalziel never solved fifteen years ago, bring brought back into focus when another young blonde girl disappears in the village next door. There's a new female trainee trying to work her way up the Mid-Yorkshire Police Force while working with the mythic triumvirate. I enjoy t ...more
The Ending 2 13 Nov 09, 2015 08:48PM
  • The Way Through The Woods (Inspector Morse, #10)
  • In a Dry Season (Inspector Banks, #10)
  • Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)
  • Let It Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7)
  • Dancing with the Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2)
  • A Touch Of Frost (Inspector Frost, #2)
  • The Only Game
  • Living Proof (Charles Resnick, #7)
Reginald Charles Hill is a contemporary English crime writer, and the winner in 1995 of the Crime Writers' Association Cartier Diamond Dagger for Lifetime Achievement.

After National Service (1955-57) and studying English at St Catherine's College, Oxford University (1957-60) he worked as a teacher for many years, rising to Senior Lecturer at Doncaster College of Education. In 1980 he retired from
More about Reginald Hill...

Dalziel & Pascoe (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)
  • An Advancement of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)
  • Ruling Passion (Dalziel & Pascoe, #3)
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • A Pinch of Snuff (Dalziel & Pascoe, #5)
  • A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6)
  • Deadheads (Dalziel & Pascoe, #7)
  • Exit Lines (Dalziel & Pascoe, #8)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)

“then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven.” 5 likes
“Hope is a black beetle. Stamp on it hard as you liked, it still scuttled on” 1 likes