Start by marking “The Unfinished Nation: A Concise History of the American People: Volume 1: To 1877” as Want to Read:

Known for its clear narrative voice and impeccable scholarship, Alan Brinkley's best-selling survey text invites students to think critically about the many forces that continually create the Unfinished Nation that is the United States. In a concise but wide-ranging narrative, Brinkley shows the diversity and complexity of the nation and our understanding of its history--o ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages (first published December 28th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Unfinished Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unfinished Nation

David
Jul 24, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all historians, Brinkley makes decisions about which events to present and how to present them and thus communicates his perspective. The word "Concise" in the title indicates the exigency of his choices—he means to present a bottom-line account of US history suitable to high school students, though not, perhaps, AP US History students.

Brinkley also means to create a history focused on significance, but his analysis is sometimes curious. He gives short shrift to some complicated development
Sarah Smith
If I had to read this whole entire book for my online class, then I am getting credit for it on Goodreads.
Cara
I read this book for a college history class that I was taking.
The book was very insightful, but I thought it could have held more detail in some more pertinent ares, and left out some of the less insignificant details.
Cynthia Martin
Dec 09, 2012 Cynthia Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a history buff at all, but it's necessary for my US History class. I find it to be easy to read & comprehend. Reads more like a novel than a text.
Kristine Rier
Dec 24, 2013 Kristine Rier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read and includes the essential information. Read this as a supplement to a much larger APUSH text and found this book gave a very good overview.
Chris
Sep 23, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
Pretty standard history book. But it was interesting and kept me reading. (I had to read it for a class, but I would look over it again.)
Cassandra
Pretty good. reads just like a regular book.
Nichole
Nov 19, 2011 Nichole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Pretty good for a history textbook.
Becca-Rawr
The average in history textbooks.
Reade Causey
Reade Causey marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Summer
Summer is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
Will Murray
Will Murray rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Summer
Summer is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2016
Leah Jurss
Leah Jurss marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Madalynn Amos
Madalynn Amos marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Edna Washington
Edna Washington marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Nic Resconich
Nic Resconich rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
NoName
NoName rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Lisa Hughes
Lisa Hughes rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Clark Judkins
Clark Judkins rated it liked it
May 08, 2016
Grace
Grace added it
May 04, 2016
Ana Polanco
Ana Polanco marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
  • A Student's Guide To History
  • Sources of the Western Tradition: From the Renaissance to the Present
  • Tom Thumb: The Remarkable True Story of a Man in Miniature
  • The Shipwreck That Saved Jamestown: The Sea Venture Castaways and the Fate of America
  • Lost Rights: The Misadventures of a Stolen American Relic
  • Alistair Cooke's America
  • The Giant and How He Humbugged America
  • The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
  • Psychology: An Introduction
  • Black Holes and Warped Spacetime
  • Masquerade: The Life and Times of Deborah Sampson, Continental Soldier
  • A Needle in the Right Hand of God: The Norman Conquest of 1066 and the Making and Meaning of the Bayeux Tapestry
  • Haunted Homeland: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories
  • Physics for the Rest of Us
  • Dread: How Fear and Fantasy have Fueled Epidemics from the Black Death to the Avian Flu
  • Villains of All Nations: Atlantic Pirates in the Golden Age