Last Night Another Soldier

Last Night Another Soldier

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Afghanistan, 2009. A Rifle section is halfway through their six-month tour of duty in Helmand Province. Sixteen men from their Battalion have already been killed. Forty-seven others have been wounded and flown back home.

The last three months have been tough and it shows. Their kit is in a bad way. They are in a bad way. Young men with tans, scruffy beards, peeling noses an...more
Published March 4th 2010 by Corgi (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Last Night Another Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Night Another Soldier

Richard
Another Quick Read but one that ends too soon; I think that despite my avoidance of the war genre, I think Andy McNab's realistic and absorbing writing has got me hooked.
This book is the story through the eyes of an eighteen year old squaddie during a tough 24 hours; part of a life-changing tour of duty in Helmand, Afghanistan.
I found myself fully engrossed in the story, the drama of the action and its lack of glory. These fictional characters seem very real and soldering is given respect and th...more
Alex
Predictable, often inaccurate, cliched and a damn fine read. A basic insight into what soldiers in Afghanistan in 2009 went through, wrapped up in a story of a new soldier.

I'm not quite sure who this book is aimed at, it's written in a very basic style almost like a kids book (well, a teens book anyway) but the content certainly isn't for young people.

A nice quick read, that takes just a day, it's still worth a look even if there are a few factual inaccuracies...like a basic Rifleman having a...more
LaDawn
Way too short. I was involved in the characters immediately and wanted so much more..
Brendan
Nice, short and snappy. Follows a few days in the life of a new recruit in the British army. And for such a quick read it dips into everything about being a soldier and of course their brilliant sense of humour. It's a must read for people who like action and the military.

However would be nice if there was a sequel or a longer version.
Emilie
McNab is clearly not about craft but about story, so once you get over how simply it is written, it's not so bad. A little cliched and predictable, but possible to read in an hour which is always satisfying. Sort of makes me want to read more about PTSD too.
Kimberley
I got this book as part of the World Book Night promotion. Definitely a very quick and easy read.

Being an ex soldier myself I can relate to the 'squaddie' writing style. It was easy to empathise with the characters because of the honest way in which it is written.
eastwood
great short story this, about a young soldier trying to cope with life in afghanistan, its set in helmund province of course, and its aquick all action book with an unsual twist at the end, i loved it but i'm a mcnab fan, but i would say give it a go.
Jack
this book was amazing, it gives a real insight to the traumas that our soldiers in afghanistan go through, mentally and physically, and the ever present danger of attack.

this is a great read which i strongly suggest to fans of war stories
Syed
It said all "Soldiers don’t fight for Queen or country, like they say on the telly. They fight for each other. It’s the job of a soldier to kill the enemy, and if that means getting killed or injured in the process, so what?"
eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya)
really good read this, its about a young soldier trying to deal with life in helmund province. it kept my interest throughout and has a twist to it at the end mcnab fans will love it.
Rachel Simson
i really enjoyed this short novel. it was descriptive and tense. it gave you a great insight into army life and the soldiers view on the war. it was emotional too and a great tale.
-NG
Paultaylor
Apr 28, 2013 Paultaylor rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 12 year old boys
Puerile, don't bother if you are looking for literature. It was given to me as part world book night 2013. Ideal for 12 year old boys who don't like reading.
Steven
Realistic and down to earth first hand account of life as a first time soldier on tour in Afghanistan
Chris Harrison
A quick read that grips right from the start and has a bit of an unexpected ending
Robin Logan
A chilling account of SAS troops fighting in Hellmand Province, Afghanistan
Stephen Raymond
Stephen Raymond marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Emily Page
Emily Page marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Sarah Martin
Sarah Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Nga Dao Quynh
Nga Dao Quynh marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t...more
More about Andy McNab...
Bravo Two Zero Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1) Immediate Action Firewall (Nick Stone, #3) Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)