Start by marking “Last Night Another Soldier” as Want to Read:
Last Night Another Soldier

Last Night Another Soldier

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  232 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Afghanistan, 2009. A Rifle section is halfway through their six-month tour of duty in Helmand Province. Sixteen men from their Battalion have already been killed. Forty-seven others have been wounded and flown back home.

The last three months have been tough and it shows. Their kit is in a bad way. They are in a bad way. Young men with tans, scruffy beards, peeling noses an
Published March 4th 2010 by Corgi (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Last Night Another Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Night Another Soldier

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Reader by Bernhard SchlinkThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
World Book Night 2013 (UK List)
19th out of 20 books — 14 voters
Paris for One by Jojo MoyesBlackout by Emily BarrFour Warned by Jeffrey ArcherFull House by Maeve BinchyClouded Vision by Linwood Barclay
Quick Reads Program
42nd out of 78 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard
Mar 10, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it
Another Quick Read but one that ends too soon; I think that despite my avoidance of the war genre, I think Andy McNab's realistic and absorbing writing has got me hooked.
This book is the story through the eyes of an eighteen year old squaddie during a tough 24 hours; part of a life-changing tour of duty in Helmand, Afghanistan.
I found myself fully engrossed in the story, the drama of the action and its lack of glory. These fictional characters seem very real and soldering is given respect and th
Maciej Wiśniewski
Apr 28, 2016 Maciej Wiśniewski rated it really liked it
Shelves: reed-2016
Really good story about soldiers life in Afgan. Plot is very interesting and there was few nice bites including PSDS and letter to unknow father. I recomend this book as good source improving English vocab. Book is very cheap in Poland only 12zl which is 2 pounds. This book is a way better than other mcnab book the grey man.
Sam
Jul 16, 2016 Sam rated it really liked it
NB This book is not my usual cup of tea.

I gave it a try and I liked the writing style and it was easy to read. The ending was, in my opinion, a little bit obvious, there was a lot of not very subtle foreshadowing, but it was satisfactory.

if you love modern, armed forces, action books, this is for you, and probably a five star read.
M
Jan 25, 2016 M rated it really liked it
A very visceral, and somewhat critical, look at army life, as you'd expect from Mr McNab. This was touching and profoundly sad (the last few pages were a shock!), and brought home that soldiers are very much a 'band of brothers' and fight for each other, rather than Her Maj or United Kingdom of Cameron. Pleased I read this.
Alex
Apr 22, 2013 Alex rated it liked it
Predictable, often inaccurate, cliched and a damn fine read. A basic insight into what soldiers in Afghanistan in 2009 went through, wrapped up in a story of a new soldier.

I'm not quite sure who this book is aimed at, it's written in a very basic style almost like a kids book (well, a teens book anyway) but the content certainly isn't for young people.

A nice quick read, that takes just a day, it's still worth a look even if there are a few factual inaccuracies...like a basic Rifleman having a
Sonali Shetty
Jul 10, 2015 Sonali Shetty rated it really liked it
A quick read as it is just 108 pages in BIG fonts :) because it is written by a soldier we expect authenticity. Nice short book about soldiers in Afghanistan.
LaDawn
Feb 23, 2014 LaDawn rated it really liked it
Way too short. I was involved in the characters immediately and wanted so much more..
Seamus Mcduff
Nov 08, 2014 Seamus Mcduff rated it liked it
Better than expected. McNab's writing style is simple and direct, and surprisingly engaging. And as a former SAS man I guess he knows what he's on about. Some of the UK-isms went over my head; but I think I'll read Bravo Two Zero soon which I've got around here somewhere.
Contact! Half left! Tallies!
da-wildchildz
Oct 05, 2015 da-wildchildz rated it liked it
Portrays scenes from a soldier’s life with realism and honesty.
Brendan
Apr 13, 2016 Brendan rated it really liked it
Nice, short and snappy. Follows a few days in the life of a new recruit in the British army. And for such a quick read it dips into everything about being a soldier and of course their brilliant sense of humour. It's a must read for people who like action and the military.

However would be nice if there was a sequel or a longer version.
Emilie
Jul 10, 2013 Emilie rated it it was ok
McNab is clearly not about craft but about story, so once you get over how simply it is written, it's not so bad. A little cliched and predictable, but possible to read in an hour which is always satisfying. Sort of makes me want to read more about PTSD too.
Kimberley
Aug 05, 2013 Kimberley rated it really liked it
I got this book as part of the World Book Night promotion. Definitely a very quick and easy read.

Being an ex soldier myself I can relate to the 'squaddie' writing style. It was easy to empathise with the characters because of the honest way in which it is written.
eastwood
Sep 14, 2011 eastwood rated it it was amazing
great short story this, about a young soldier trying to cope with life in afghanistan, its set in helmund province of course, and its aquick all action book with an unsual twist at the end, i loved it but i'm a mcnab fan, but i would say give it a go.
Jack
Jul 02, 2012 Jack rated it it was amazing
this book was amazing, it gives a real insight to the traumas that our soldiers in afghanistan go through, mentally and physically, and the ever present danger of attack.

this is a great read which i strongly suggest to fans of war stories
Syed
Sep 22, 2013 Syed rated it did not like it
Shelves: military
It said all "Soldiers don’t fight for Queen or country, like they say on the telly. They fight for each other. It’s the job of a soldier to kill the enemy, and if that means getting killed or injured in the process, so what?"
eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya)
really good read this, its about a young soldier trying to deal with life in helmund province. it kept my interest throughout and has a twist to it at the end mcnab fans will love it.
Rachel Simson
Dec 01, 2015 Rachel Simson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
i really enjoyed this short novel. it was descriptive and tense. it gave you a great insight into army life and the soldiers view on the war. it was emotional too and a great tale.
-NG
Paultaylor
Apr 28, 2013 Paultaylor rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 12 year old boys
Puerile, don't bother if you are looking for literature. It was given to me as part world book night 2013. Ideal for 12 year old boys who don't like reading.
Steven
Apr 25, 2013 Steven rated it liked it
Realistic and down to earth first hand account of life as a first time soldier on tour in Afghanistan
Chris Harrison
Sep 02, 2011 Chris Harrison rated it really liked it
A quick read that grips right from the start and has a bit of an unexpected ending
Robin Logan
Apr 16, 2012 Robin Logan rated it really liked it
A chilling account of SAS troops fighting in Hellmand Province, Afghanistan
Alan
Alan added it
Aug 22, 2016
Ananymity
Ananymity marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Adeline
Adeline marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Fabiana Alvarez
Fabiana Alvarez marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Jenni Gallagher
Jenni Gallagher marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Hugh Williams
Hugh Williams rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Ekaterina
Ekaterina marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Yoana
Yoana marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • War by Other Means: An Insider's Account of the War on Terror
  • Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure: The Bizarre Battle of Lake Tanganyika
  • A Thousand Suns
  • A Brave Vessel: The True Tale of the Castaways Who Rescued Jamestown and Inspired Shakespeare's The Tempest
  • Countdown: The Liberators
  • Love Is Blind
  • Happy Families (Quick Reads)
  • The Story of Cirrus Flux
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • Grunts: Inside the American Infantry Combat Experience, World War II Through Iraq
  • The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front 1915-1919
  • Strangers on the 16:02
  • Albion: The Origins of the English Imagination
  • Where Have All the Bullets Gone?  (War Memoirs, #5)
  • This United State (Tweed & Co. #16)
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t
More about Andy McNab...