You Only Love Once (The Bow St. Agents: Spies in Love 3)

You Only Love Once (The Bow St. Agents: Spies in Love #3)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The most dangerous pursuit . . . is passion.

Devilishly handsome and absolutely fearless, Nate Avery is in London on an important mission—and paired with an English spy, who is meant to watch him as much as aid him. But much to his surprise, that spy turns out to be an alluring and enigmatic temptress.

Angelique Martand may be a beauty, but she's also the most dangerous agen...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Avon

Mina Khan
Loved the heroine: strong, smart and vulnerable. Even though this is a romance, she just carries the story. The relationship between the hero & heroine is well-developed. The story is fast-paced and interesting. Only one issue in the final confrontation scene made me roll my eyes, but overall loved the book.
Jody
From the moment she was born, Angelique Martrand's life has been one of danger. Before being sentenced to the guillotine, Angelique's parents entrusted her to the care of their most trusted servant to flee to England to save her life. Through bribes and lies Angelique made it to safety and has based her entire life on making those pay who seek to harm others. To that end she has become a master spy with a deadly reputation. She's smart, strong, and always in control.....until the day she meets h...more
S
During the French Revolution, in 1793, a newborn little girl was whisked out of France by her mother's maid Melanie, leaving her parents, the Comte and Comtesse d'Orvelon, to be killed. In 1820 London, Angelique Martand is a spy and assassin who takes her last job before retirement. She is to work with an American, Mr. Nathaniel Avery, to find and apprehend an embezzler, Jacob Dixon. Angelique is given additional instructions: kill Dixon. Angelique is a good character; she's confident yet insecu...more
Minna
You Only Love Once was pretty darn good. Set in London, it featured a French expatriate female assassin-spy (awesome) and an American government agent in England to retrieve a thief. The actual tracking-down of the thief was almost laughably easy if you think about it; basically Angelique (assassin-spy) and Nate (government agent) only had to talk to two people and search one house to find him.
The 4 stars are earned in the chemistry between Nate and Angelique. Two people with pasts they aren't...more
P. Kirby
3.5 It's a pity GR doesn't let you use decimals, because I do think this is a touch beyond a 3, which is my code for "okay, but forgettable." There was a lot to like about You Only Love Once.

Angelique is a spy and sometimes assassin working for a shadowy arm of the British government. When Angelique was just a baby, her nursemaid smuggled her out of France just before an angry mob captured her parents, a count and countess, and hauled them off to the guillotine. Consequently, Angelique believes...more
Sharyn
Oh no the 3rd in a series!! Spy story romance with a wonderful heroine who was whisked out of France by her mothers maid in 1793 as her parents were arrested for being aristocrats. London 1820, she is now a spy for England and is sent to help an American in London find a fugitive. She way underestimates him, as he does her, but the story and the romance build well and make an enjoyable book.
Bebe Four
Series rating: 3+
I enjoyed the first book much more than the other two. The spying element was a very large part of the stories.
Karla
This was a good book. While there is a spy plot the focus is really on the relationship and how Angelique will escape her circumstances and have an Happy Ever After. The plot was smart and it was very nice to read a story without aristocratic characters. I also think Caroline Linden does a very good job at action scenes (there's one toward the end). So why the three stars? I just never connected with the characters. Not sure that that was the book's fault as I read this very slowly.
Ada
Decent read. It's the third book of the Bow Street series. I enjoyed book 1 a little better but I did really like how Harry, the hero of book 1 made an appearance in book 3. What I really enjoyed was the climax of the book once our hero, Angelique, finally made up her mind about which way she wanted move on with the plan and sided with our hero, Nate. Once it got to that point, the story really started to move and I like how it concluded.
Jackie
2.5 Good writing and historically informed, but the author doesn't construct her characters in a way that allows readers to connect emotionally to them. Linden has half of the character construction piece down -- creating plot events that shape the characters -- but is missing the more vital other half -- creating individualized, unique characters with emotional lives.
Candace722
Overall a good book and a pretty good author. This was a first (and not the last) book I've read from Linden. The ending threw me off a bit,but I was able to catch on. This story could easily be turned into a series. I felt like I wanted to know more about the after story with other characters. Again,good stuff.
Nancy Luebke
What's a man to do with a charming, beautiful spy who may or may not be on his side. I was captivated with this book and it was hard to put down. Stayed up to early morning to finish this. And a unusual ending to put the icing on this cake.
Janet
Book #4 is leaps and bounds better than #3. This one had a real plot, and dynamite between-the-sheets scenes (and staircase scenes…closet scenes…bedroom scenes…hackney cab scenes…). Only one more to go—dare I hope it’s even better?
Ummu Auni
This is my first book by the author and I'm surprised to find I like the plot. The plot was different, being a spy, such a dangerous, precarious position to be in. I wanted to rate it as 3.5
Jenny
Oh my.........this one made up for the boring other two in the series. I LOVED this one. I loved her and I loved Nate. I thought it was a wonderful book.......now I want to read about Ian!!
Julia
Pretty interesting spy love story. I tend to enjoy those. The sex scenes were hot, though I got bored at the end and wanted to read more about the spies...
Allyn Richards
I thought that since it got a catchy name it would be good, but I guess not.
Mshellion
Very enjoyable!
Lizardqueen
Lizardqueen marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Nia
Nia marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Celia
Celia marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Amy Klima
Amy Klima marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Clara Troltenier
Clara Troltenier marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
  • Desire Never Dies (Lady Spies, #2)
  • Scandal in the Night (The Reckless Brides, #3)
  • Scandal of the Season (The Spinster Club, #4)
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #3)
  • One Forbidden Evening (Grantham, #2)
  • Indiscreet
  • The Courtesan's Secret (The Courtesan Chronicles #2)
  • A Wedding Wager (Blackwater Brides, #2)
  • Seduce Me (The Legend Hunters, #1)
  • Written on Your Skin
  • A Little Bit Sinful
  • Swept Away by a Kiss (Rogues of the Sea, #1)
  • The Devilish Pleasures of a Duke (Boscastle, #6)
  • Sinful in Satin (The Rarest Blooms #3)
  • Follow My Lead (The Blue Raven, #3)
  • The Viscount's Wicked Ways
  • The Saint Who Stole My Heart (Regency Rogues, #4)
Caroline Linden earned a degree in mathematics from Harvard and worked as a programmer in the financial services industry before realizing writing fiction is much more exciting than writing code. Now the author of twelve books, she lives in New England.

Sign up for her newsletter at http://www.carolinelinden.com/signup.... to stay informed about her books.
More about Caroline Linden...
What a Gentleman Wants (Reece Family Trilogy, #1) One Night in London (The Truth About the Duke #1) I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke #0.5) Blame It on Bath (The Truth About the Duke, #2) Love and Other Scandals (Scandals, #1)