Start by marking “Motherhood and Hollywood Motherhood and Hollywood Motherhood and Hollywood” as Want to Read:
Motherhood and Hollywood Motherhood and Hollywood Motherhood and Hollywood

Motherhood and Hollywood Motherhood and Hollywood Motherhood and Hollywood

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  30 reviews
"The really important things in life are your family and friends. And what will people say about you at your funeral-that you won an Emmy once, or that you were a good person, kind andgenerous? Well, as for me, I hope it's the latter. And the fact that I recently commissioned an Emmy-shaped coffin just eliminates the need for anyone to bring it up."
Everybody knows thatPat
Published September 17th 2002 by Villard Books (first published 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about Motherhood and Hollywood Motherhood and Hollywood Motherhood and Hollywood

Karen Phillips
Patricia Heaton's (Everybody Loves Raymond) topical memoir gives a lighthearted glimpse into the simple joys of her childhood, the struggles to make it in her chosen field (and fun along the way), the perks & problems of celebrity, and the joys and jolts of being married and raising four boys. Refreshing in her down-to-earth tongue-in-cheek style, Heaton beckons us as a friend into her world. After this read, I do indeed see her as a kindred spirit.
Mediaman
This book has little to do with Motherhood and Hollywood--it's a bunch of really boring stories about Patricia Heaton as a child or Patricia Heaton skipping from job to job as a nobody in New York. For "motherhood" she does nothing but demean her kids and husband, and for "Hollywood" there is almost nothing said about her career there. A few asides here or there about her sitcom or the Emmys, but if you're reading this book for any insight into Everybody Loves Raymond you won't find it.

It's also
Donna
This was a book sale find....it was 3 for $1...I wanted one particular book and was convinced to take 2 more.....

This was more about normal every day life with a tiny dash of Hollywood life. She talked more about "normal" growing up life and then all the jobs she had while she went on auditions and she how tough that was just to pay the bills. I did enjoy that....not everyone writes about things you can actually identify with. Most of the bios talk about something sensational.

She did reveal som
Sandy
The work that Patricia Heaton did on the CBS hit sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond" is truly remarkable. In her role of feisty, put-upon suburban housewife Debra Barone, she brought depth and dimension to her character with great grace, cutting humor and a wide emotional range. She was, for me, the single best thing about this terrific show. Indeed, her work in one standout episode (I believe the title is "Bad Moon Rising"), in which Debra deals with a nasty case of PMS, is some of the very best I ...more
Dale
A fun, breezy read about a normal girl who made it big

Motherhood and Hollywood: How to Get a Job Like Mine is not out to change anyone's life, but it is a funny, light look at one woman's meandering quest to be an actress. Also, it is quite reassuring to find out that there are people in Hollywood who are quite normal.

Patricia Heaton's book is irreverant, sometimes serious, frank, cute, and her tales of a time when kids could run the neighborhood in surburban Cleveland without fear reminded me
Sharon
Just an "ok" read which was disappointing - I was expecting so much more. And by the end I was on the points of screaming if I read the word "Cleveland" one more friggin' time...............
Leah Beecher
This is a perfect "car ride" book. A funny, quick read, that I read up and back from VT this Spring. Patricia Heaton is really funny, and spends lots of time recalling her happy big Irish Catholic up-bringing in the suburbs of Cleavland, OH. I liked her comparisons on how families used to do things, as compared to now. She uses a lot of blunt and humor about life with children and marriage, which I always appreciate. Her personal history about "making it" was not that intriguing to me, probably ...more
Jane Gardner
Entertaining and fast to read.
Ursula
I enjoyed reading this book, it was a quick read. Had a quick dash of humor and an honest truth about growing up in Ohio and transitioning to NYC. I would certainly recommend it to another reader, friend, person.
Rashelle
I thought it was light and funny, and I loved that she spoke about the importance of family and making time for what's truly important. I also loved that she expressed respect for stay at home mom's and the important contribution they make to society. It's not often you hear that from someone in Hollywood. It was a fun, enjoyable read!
Melissa
I laughed out loud so many times. I wish I never gave the book away. I'd read it again. I still remember her stories about the foreign exchange student staring at them from across the table and also when she took a flashlight to check for worms in her son's rump. I'm not sure if the latter is true, but it was funny.
Edward Diliddo
A very interesting look at motherhood and the struggle to make it as an actor. The book is divided into three sections by city: Cleveland, New York and Los Angelos. Some neat stuff in here for native Clevelanders.
Gina
I don't remember why I read this book. I don't like "Everybody Loves Raymond" and I've never seen her in anything else. I think I liked the cover. The book itself is alright. Sort of funny.
Maribel
I didn't get to finish reading this book because I had to take it back to the library but anyway I got through most of it and I enjoyed it very much I didn't realize how funny she really is!
Jodi
This was an entertaining book written by Patricia Heaton from Everybody Loves Raymond. She tells of her experiences trying to be a mom in Hollywood and made for a fairly entertaining, light read.
Bridget
I got this book, because she was at Anderson's Bookstore in Naperville doing a book signing. I came away after reading the book thinking, what a pretentious $%@#&!
Rosemary
A fun and quick read. She is charming and I enjoyed reading about her rise to fame. She seems (or is trying) to be very down to earth.
Erin Agosto
Jul 18, 2007 Erin Agosto rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and Everybody loves Raymond fans
Shelves: summerreading
I just wanted a quick easy fun read and it was! I read it in a day with 2 kids and chuckled my way through!
Linda
Patricia Heaton was very funny on Everybody Loves Raymond. Her biography is an entertaining read.
Tami
learned the childhood of an actress is often interesting to me. glad i read it.
Jenifer
Pleasantly surprised. Found out I had a lot in common with this woman.
Mr. Pe Mr. Pe
this is a great book and i recommend it to everyone
Elisabeth
Celebrity fluff...but of the fun, intelligent sort
Jana
I found this to be a sweet, charming and funny read.
Maria
she's very funny - most moms can relate....
Megan
0 stars. Literally could not read this.
Anita Smith
May 14, 2010 Anita Smith rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms, fans of humorous short essays/stories- Notaro and Sedaris fans would probably enjoy this.
Recommended to Anita by: No one- I found it for free on a free book table at work! :-)
Quick, breezy, funny, enjoyable read!
Tracy
Sep 26, 2008 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms
Shelves: humor, own-it, memoir
Hysterical
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Audrey Hepburn: An Intimate Portrait
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Amanda Pepper, #5)
  • Cries and Whiskers (Theda Krakow Mystery #3)
  • 101 Cataclysms: For the Love of Cats
  • Hey! Listen to This: Stories to Read Aloud
  • I Know Where I'm Going: A Personal Biography of Katharine Hepburn
  • Super
  • The Last Raven  (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #7)
  • Mystery Cats: felonious felines from Ellery Queen's mystery magazine and Alfred Hitchcock's mystery magazine
  • . . . and His Lovely Wife: A Memoir from the Woman Beside the Man
  • Volk's Game: A Novel
  • At Home for the Holidays
  • Winging It: A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Link
  • Inside Edge: A Revealing Journey into the Secret World of Figure Skating
  • Eight Little Faces: A Mom's Journey
  • Conquering Fear: Living Boldly in an Uncertain World
Patricia Helen Heaton (born March 4, 1958) is an American actress best known for playing Ray Barone's wife Debra Barone on the CBS television sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond. Heaton has been married to British actor David Hunt since 1990, they have four sons.
More about Patricia Heaton...
Naked Prayer Group Thou Shalt Laugh The Actor's Guide to Creating a Character: William Esper Teaches the Meisner Technique Thou Shalt Laugh