Raven's Ladder: A Novel

Raven's Ladder: A Novel (The Auralia Thread #3)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A DEADLY MENACE IS BREAKING THROUGH THE GROUND. THE PEOPLE OF ABASCAR MUST ABANDON THEIR STONE REFUGE AND FLEE INTO VULNERABILITY IN THE FOREST. BUT THEIR KING HAS HAD A VISION…

Following the beacon of Auralia’s colors and the footsteps of a mysterious dream-creature, King Cal-raven has discovered a destination for his weary crowd of refugees. It’s a city only imagined in l...more
Published February 16th 2010 by WaterBrook Press (first published February 9th 2010)

Rachel Thomson
Raven’s Ladder is the third book in the four-book Auralia Thread, a startlingly poetic, deeply spiritual fantasy series that begins with Auralia’s Colors and Cyndere’s Midnight.

The story dawns on a displaced people: The people of House Abascar, led by the young king Cal-Raven and his faithful guardsman Tabor Jan, have moved into a network of caves after the collapse of their house in a cataclysmic earthquake. Cal-Raven dreams of building New Abascar according to his childlike dreams, filling it...more
Breanna
Kathleen Kelly
Raven's Ladder continues the story of Auralia,Cal-raven and Cyndere among others in this third book in this series, Auralia's Thread. Auralia's Colors being the first and followed by Cyndere's Midnight. There is a large cast of characters, with quite a few from the previous books.King Cal-Ravens hope to create a peaceful kingdom is thwarted by all sorts of man and beasts in different forms. His faith will be challenged time after time as he goes about trying to establish New Abascar for his peop...more
Jennifer Defoy
This one took me a little while to get into it. In the beginning of the story I was lost as to who the characters were and what exactly was going on. (Little did I know when I started this that it was the third in a series, I think I should have read the other two first.) There is a "glossary" of characters in the back, and through the first few chapters I referred to that quite a bit.

The story began to get pretty interesting around chapter 9. Before that there were a few good moments, but I th...more
jD
Okay, I lied about one star. It was the only way to get revenge on Jeffery Overstreet. I plan to change the number of stars to five as soon as the next book comes out.

Bottom line -- I want to scream at Jeffrey Overstreet. I assumed the book was a trilogy or maybe four books to wrap BUT NO. I knew I was going to be screwed out of a conclusion when I was about 25 pages from the end. There was no way it was getting anywhere near the conclusion of the underlying story. So I take back any comparisons...more
Phyllis Wheeler
Raven’s Ladder by Jeffrey Overstreet, a Review
Published by Waterbrook Press, 2009, 380 pages
Genre: Christian fantasy, suitable for teens and adults

I read the first book in this series, Auralia’s Colors, but didn’t have time to read the acclaimed second one, Cyndere’s Midnight. This is the third in the series of four called The Auralia Thread. As I read Raven’s Ladder, I missed out on various references to previous happenings. I do recommend you read these in order!

Raven is Cal-Raven, the young k...more
Amanda Makepeace
I haven't been able to get enough of this series since I first discovered it in 2008. It's phenomenal. Here are a few of my thoughts on Raven's Ladder:

Faith and acceptance have played huge roles in this series and continue to in Raven's Ladder. But another aspect also comes to the front, awakening. I feel each character comes to an awakening, a comprehension of the truth around them. The story/journey isn't over yet for Cal Raven, Jordam, the people of Abascar and Bel Amica, but the blinders hav...more
Ranting Dragon

Raven’s Ladder is Jeffrey Overstreet’s third installment in The Auralia Thread, a Christian fantasy series that started with Auralia’s Colors and continued with Cyndere’s Midnight. Raven’s Ladder brings us back to familiar characters like King Cal-raven and his fabled mother, Jaralaine, while featuring a supporting cast of characters introduced in Cyndere’s Midnight, including Cyndere, Jordam, Ryllion, and Emerienne. In Raven’s Ladder, House Abascar is sti...more
Bob Hayton
The best fiction transports the reader into the setting of the book. The adventure written becomes an adventure experienced. Characters aren't just described by the author, they are befriended by the reader. This is when reading becomes an engrossing, consuming experience, and books become a work of art rather than a mere production. Jeffrey Overstreet wields this kind of book magic in his "Auralia Thread" series.

Raven's Ladder (book #3) was my first encounter with the series, and as the story d...more
Sandra Stiles
Publisher: Multnomah, 2009
Source: This book was provided for review by the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group.
to learn more about this book or purchase it at RandomHouse.com click on the following link:

This was difficult for me to get my head around at first because this is the third book in the Aurelia books. I have ordered the first two and plan to read them this next week. However we know that after the fall of House Abascar, Cal-raven the king and h...more
Becky
Apr 10, 2010 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has read the first two books (which I would recommend to anyone who enjoys fantasy)
Overstreet continues the Auralia series with perhaps the best story yet. His writing is so rich that it reminds me greatly of Tolkien's poetic prose. For example:

"The midday sun was hot, but the light was drained of health or hue. Each step he took scared ghosts of ash from some slow, invisible burning into anxious southward flight. How could he be sure of a direction north and west? The world around him was disintegrating; he saw nothing he might have recognized." p366

He even breaks the narrati...more
Margaret Metz
This book kept me on the edge of my set because I kept waiting for certain things to happen. Good points were made in subtle ways, but I was again let down by the amount of threads left undone - and one entire house was left without much more than a passing mention. I can only guess that there is a third book and the author delights in stringing us along from one book to the next without anything being accomplished. It's like a marketing ploy - then we have to buy the next book.

The message of r...more
Amy
Mar 27, 2011 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Jeffrey Overstreet
Shelves: fantasy
Mark
I'm never quite sure what to expect from fiction by an author of Christian faith... for every wonderful reading experience (like Stephen Lawhead's Celtic Crusades or C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia), there are numerous slogs through preachy & cliched schlock. (Insert obligatory reference to the Left Behind books here.) It's a little like Tim Burton films - you never know when an "Edward Scissorhands" is going to bloom amongst a field of weeds like "Batman Returns" and "Planet of the Apes."

I...more
Shannon
This was a difficult book for me to read. Maybe it was because it is the third book in a series, and I haven't read the first two books. Maybe it's because the writing seemed all over the place at times, difficult to keep up with what characters were who and what was going on where.

That being said, the story line was good. A young king must lead his people to a safe new home after their previous home has been destroyed, and he is lead by visions that most of his followers scoff at. And of cours...more
Janalyn Voigt
With lyrical prose that sometimes verges on poetry and piercing insights into his character's motivations and desires, Jeffrey Overstreet brings to life a tantalizing world in Raven's Ladder. Glimpses of a ruined culture are made more terrifying by contrast to passages of incredible beauty and the nobility of the book's protagonist, Cal-Raven.

King of a conquered and wandering people, Cal-Raven seeks a place to build a New Abascar. He discovers a legendary city at great cost. Can he win the peopl...more
Ellen Christian
Raven's Ladder is the third book in The Auralia Thread which also includes Auralia's Colors and Cyndere's Midnight. I have not had the chance to read either of those books. In Raven's Ladder, The House of Abascar was destroyed in a huge earthquake and all of its people are now displaced and living in caves. Cal-Raven (the child King) has an encounter with The Keeper (a godlike mythical creature) and is urged to find his now displaced people a new home. Raven's Ladder is a chronicle of their jour...more
'chris d
Raven's Ladder is the third book in the Auralia Thread series and is not a stand alone book.

The refugees from Albascar seek refuge in the lovely destination kingdom of Bel Amica. Cal Raven's people are physically safe but they are in danger of losing their own culture in the ease and beauty of the host city.

Jeffrey Overstreet weaves several different plots that would be confusing for someone not familiar with the other two books. Raven's Ladder is written a little different from his first two bo...more
Lorie
I want to love this series - but that is not why I love it. Overstreet writes compellingly, vividly, poetically. The series is like a ballad. It is art in and of itself, for its poetic beauty, as much as for the truths that it ponders. Overstreet's style reminds me somewhat of that of George McDonald: although not as dark, his lyrical meandering can be disorienting, but is so beautiful, it pulls you along, and you learn to trust the author to bring what is veiled into the light, bring what seeme...more
Mercy Dragonslayer
As the stars attest, I loved this book. The writing was clear and simple and very good. Everyone in this book who has wicked powers actually USES them, which is a great change from all those authors who claim their characters can lift mountains but never actually show it to you.

Cal-raven is a wonderful hero, brave and tough and reasonably intelligent, when it counts. I really wish he was in the series more.

Actually, for a book with a cast of about 40 characters, it's astonishing how much I like...more
Cathrine Bonham
"This is my Favorite part," the old man continuly mutters through out the book, "the part where she comes back."

When you finally realise who "She" is this will be your favorite part too.

Like the first two books this strand in the Auralia thread is beautifully written in outstanding prose. The story continues Abascar's search for a new home and the fight against the pagan Seers and their moon cult. Filled with action, adventure, and life's hidden truth, with an ending that will make you eager to...more
Sx
Just as Auralia's colours opened people's eyes, Overstreet's books are eye openers. While the first installment seemed like it lacked something emotionally, this book more than made up for it. I especially felt for Wynn, the boy who desperately wanted to contribute, but constantly felt overlooked because of his age or felt inadequate, yet gets to have that his heroic finish in the end that left me grinning in pride.
Jenny
This is a Goodreads "First Readers winner" book!
I definitely jumped into the middle of this series, so it took some time to get my bearings and figure out the storyline, characters, and mythology. Nonetheless, once I caught up the plot was entertaining. Lots of descriptive passages balanced the bursts of action in the story. I will probably read the 2 previous books in this series at some point.
Michael
After the artful genius of Aurelia's Colors and the foundational underpinnings of Cyndere's Midnight, it was a great adventure to see where things progress in Raven't Ladder. These are all brilliant books and The Ale Boy's Feast is riviting. I will be reading all of these again guaranteed. I could see these on the big screen someday if there's any way to maintain the beauty and integrity.
Sandy Mckenzie
Fantasy is generally not my genre of books, but I actually enjoyed it and now want to read the first two. This is the third book in the Auralia series. The author opened a door into this beautiful but very dangerous world that I am still thinking of. It was very captivating and inspiring. Even if you don't like fantasy, you should read this book. I think you will be very impressed.

Nicci
Lots of very important events. I was a bit shocked towards the end when I guessed something and realized int he same breathe how wrong I was. Huge shocker.
I am so pumped for the 4th book, and since there are 4 holds ahead of me ath the library, I think I am just going to buy it. I do not have that kind of patience. I am so stoked for the final book in this series.
Esther
Jeffrey Overstreet thrilled me with the 3 book of the Auralia series. The decriptions of scenes and characters were fantastic, the layers of the story enticed me to read more deeply. I highly recommend this book, and can't wait till it is published next year.
Heather
Love these books! Lots of surprises. This one starts out a little slowly, gives us a lot of background on many more of the characters, it's worth it at the end though. Can't wait to start book #4.
Elisabeth
"Auralia's Colors" will always be my favorite book out of this series, but "Raven's Ladder was a good read with a complex and sometimes confusing storyline.
Zoe Scrivener
I should have marked this as read right after I finished reading it so I could remember my impressions... Ah well, I'm glad I continued reading, anyway. :)
  • Dragons of the Valley (Valley of the Dragons, #2)
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • Return of the Guardian-King (Legends of the Guardian-King, #4)
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • The Charlatan's Boy
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • Veiled Rose (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #2)
  • The Legend of the Firefish (Trophy Chase Trilogy)
  • The Wolf of Tebron (The Gates of Heaven, #1)
  • The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)
  • Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow (Codebearers, #1)
  • The Sword (Chiveis Trilogy, #1)
My name is Jeffrey Overstreet.

I am a teacher and a writer, and I travel all over the place speaking about creative writing, film criticism, fantasy, faith, and the power of play.

Sometimes I'm invited to teach creative writing courses and workshops. This brings me great joy.

Currently I am celebrating ten years working as communications specialist at Seattle Pacific University.

My dream? To someda...more
More about Jeffrey Overstreet...
Auralia's Colors (The Auralia Thread, #1) Cyndere's Midnight (The Auralia Thread, #2) The Ale Boy's Feast (The Auralia Thread, #4) Through a Screen Darkly: Looking Closer at Beauty, Truth and Evil in the Movies Cyndere's Midnight: A Novel

“The greatest threat to what is best is something persuasively good.” 2 likes
“Fall as deep as I fell and you'll find out what's at the bottom. It changes you.” 2 likes