An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)

An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe #4)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  629 ratings  ·  37 reviews
An April Shroud is "an offbeat adventure that finds Dalziel on holiday, in love--and up to his ears in murder" (Cleveland Plain Dealer).
Published April 7th 1987 by Signet (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about An April Shroud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An April Shroud

Kay
This was the fourth in what became an amazing series of books about Detective Inspector Peter Pascoe and his outrageous superintendent, Andrew Dalziel (known behind his back as Fat Andy). They are surely one of the most brilliant pairs of sleuths ever devised, and I never get tired of reading about them.

This one takes us all the way back to the wedding of Peter and Ellie, whose honeymoon coincides with an enforced holiday by Fat Andy. In no short order, he gets embroiled in a mystery--a good th...more
Eric_W
Ironically, the TV series featuring Dalziel and Pascoe retitled this book “Autumn Shroud.” I hate it when they do that. I’m a huge fan of the Dalziel and Pascoe novels.

Following Pascoe’s wedding to Ellie, Andy is off on a two-week holiday but he has no idea what to do with himself other than drive around and when his car breaks down he finds himself intrigued by a family burying a father and husband in a singularly emotionless fashion. In his inimitable way, he insinuates himself into their hous...more
Wendy
After Pascoe and Ellie getting center stage in Ruling Passion, it's only fair that Dalziel gets a book to himself, although I was a bit dubious about a solo Dalziel novel. It actually works much better than I would have expected, with Dalziel going on holiday in horrible weather, getting stranded in a big house in the country with a family called the Fieldings, and quickly discovering that there's a mystery to be solved. Multiple mysteries, in fact.

Though Dalziel works remarkably well as a solo...more
Donna
I've enjoyed a few of the TV episodes of Dalziel & Pascoe and thought I should try one of the books. An April Shroud was an entertaining English country house murder mystery. Dalziel finds himself on a forced vacation and stranded by flooded roads he is taken in by the unorthodox Fielding family. Murder, insurance scams, and shady business deals plus a little romance keeps you guessing til the very end.
J.D.
Andy Dalziel, the older, louder, fatter, and cruder member of one of crime fiction's oddest couples, is pretty much on his own for most of this fourth installment in the series, and that's not a bad thing. With his more cerebral and often annoying younger partner off on his honeymoon with his equally annoying spouse, Dalziel finds himself on holiday and at loose ends. When he stumbles across a curiously aquatic funeral procession, Dalziel quickly finds himself drying himself and his rain-soaked...more
Julie
One of the reasons I love this series so much is for sentences like these: "He had always been a liver in the present, never one of those who tried to take a golden moment and beat it out thinly to cover more ground. But just as his mind in the past months had gradually started to plague him with visions of vacant futurity, so in these last few days, unbidden and almost undetected, an insidious optimism had begun to rise in his subconscious like curls of mist on the lake."
Lois
Apr 28, 2012 Lois rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
What a clever man Mr Hill was; he is the master of the introduction and will always surprise you at the end.
Bev Taylor
a dalziel and pascoe novel

this time dalziel takes centre stage as it opens with pascoe's wedding and he is obviously otherwise engaged!

dalziel takes a holiday - which is like the 8th wonder of the world - but death does not

this leads him to the lake house with a very peculiar family and his curiosity is aroused - purely professionally of course. plus he falls for the lady of the house

how he gets away with what he does. driving home for example after a VERY liquid lunch and speaking to the loc...more
Patricia
Best opening scene ever.
Jules Jones
Fourth in the Dalziel and Pascoe series. The previous book focused on Peter Pascoe and his involvement as a witness rather than a policeman, after finding his friends murdered. This one focuses on Andy Dalziel finding himself in a similar situation. The difference here is that Dalziel finds himself amongst strangers, and it's not entirely clear for some time whether there is a crime at all, and if so what it is.[return][return]Dalziel is supposed to be going on holiday after attending Pascoe's w...more
LJ
First Sentence: No one knew how it came about the Dalziel was making a speech.

With Pascoe off on his honeymoon, Dalziel (Dee-Ell) is taking a holiday of his own. Things quickly go awry when his car is swamped in a flooding road. He is rescued by a group of rather happy mourners and taken to a decrepit mansion to dry off. More seems wrong than just the state of the abode; there’s a preserved rat in the freezer and the very appealing mistress of the manner twice widowed in suspicious circumstances...more
Ange
Really funny at the outset, this Dalziel and Pascoe ( though mostly without Pascoe) has a ripper of a beginning, and keeps most of the entertainment going through the first half. However, it fell flat by the second half and I lost interest by the end. Hill writes so well, it's such a treat to find writing that is witty and funny and sharp. I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy the latter half though, maybe it's me - I do find so few novels of this genre that can last the distance. In this case I think...more
Choccygrl
Not enough Pascal in this one for me. What I like about this series is the way the two leads balance each other and worth one missing that didn't happen.

This story was more a crisis of faith for Andy, consequently he seemed to be acting somewhat out of character.

An enjoyable story and like real life police investigations, not all of the questions were answered. I had no idea who the murderer was until he was unmasked.
Kirsty Darbyshire

I'm up to Dalziel and Pascoe number four. It's being a bit disappointing so far. Pascoe has been packed off on his honeymoon and we're following Dalziel round on holiday. He's come across some interesting characters and a suspicious death of course, but so far the book is a bit lopsided without Pascoe for balance.

In the end the book evened out and Dalziel unsurprisingly filled the void created by his partner's absence. This was a country house murder without the murder and a book that develops

Catherine
A good 1970's who-dun-it mystery set in England. The main character Detective Superintendent Dalziel is an interesting fellow.
Janina
This is one of the earlier books in the series of Pascoe and Daziel.
Pascoe is getting married to Ellie and although Daziel is happy for those two, he is depressed that his own marriage has failed (although he would never call himself depressed!). After the wedding, Daziel's two weeks of vacation are starting. He plans to drive around in his car, without having a plan where to go. Due to heavy rain and floods, his car gets stuck and in need for help he stumbles upon a more than weird family with...more
Geni
3.5 I like this series of off-beat crime novels from British author Reginald Hill. I will read more of them.
Kurt
Dalziel (DEE-ELL) is on his own in this one. A few laugh-out-loud moments, but it took me a while to get into Hill Speak. (Could've had something to do with my having just finished a book by an extremely American-voiced author.) These earlier Dalziel/Pascoe books aren't nearly as meaty and intricately wound as the later ones, but they manage to give me the injection of Anglophilia that I imagine is my real need.
Ed
#4 in the Dalziel & Pascoe mystery series.

Dalziel is on his own, during Pascoe's honeymoon. Stranded by heavy rains, he is rescued by a funeral procession led by widow Bonnie Fielding. Complications arise when he discovers the strange manner in which Bonnie's husband died, the possibility of an insurance scam, and the realization that all the Fieldings, including Bonnie, are suspects in a possible murder.
Jim B
Sep 13, 2014 Jim B rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jim by: Fred Hartmann
Shelves: mystery
Hill has a gift for creating characters. In this series Inspector Peter Pascoe is the central detective, but in this book Pascoe's gotten married and is on his honeymoon, playing only a minor role at the end. His assistant, Andrew Dalziel ("dee-ELL")fresh from his own divorce and on holiday, winds up staying the the Fieldings and gets involved in solving a murder.
Nick Pemberton
This is the 4th in the Dalziel & Pascoe series, really enjoyable, for me this series improves with each book. In this one Dalziel is largely without Pascoe, he's on leave but gets wrapped up with a most bizarre household when his car gets stuck in flood water. Cue loads of Dalziel's sarcasm & an insight into his character, and of course a dead body or 2.
Laurie (Kwiltreader)
Mar 12, 2011 Laurie (Kwiltreader) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery readers
Shelves: mysteries
After Pascoe gets married, Dalziel goes on vacation, apparently his first one. Of course, he runs into a suspicious death, a disappearance, some fraud...and also into bed with a possible suspect. It's Dalziel at his toughest, softest and funniest. I really enjoyed listening. The reader did an excellent Dalziel voice.
Marr Christensen
Finally seeing some of Dalziel's personal side unfortunately with very little Pascoe in the mix. I found the numerous characters a bit confusing but I was reading multiple books at the same time so I can't put it all on the book. Overall I'm enjoying the series and look forward to further developments.
Carolyn Rose
Plenty of twists, turns, red herrings, and lies for Dalziel to sort through when his vacation takes a wrong turn and he's stranded with a group of people who seem to avoid the truth the way I avoid invitations to meals of liver, beets, and lima beans.
Wilde Sky
A detective ends up in a house where people are more interested in the family’s fortunes than the recent death of a relative.

The start of this book was so unbelievable that I couldn’t take it seriously / engage with it.
Suzanne
Not one of my favorites from the Dalziel/Pascoe books. There were so many characters that I struggled to remember who was who, and it seemed to me that Hill wasn't able to fully develop so many different personalities.
Vickie
Still enjoying these Dalziel and Pascoe books, although this one is pretty much just Dalziel, who is taken in by an eccentric family when stranded by heavy rains and floods during his holiday.
Richard
Fourth Daziel and Pascoe, mostly Daziel. He ends up at a manor house converting to a Medieval Times theme restaurant. Until the last third, not up to speed, then gets good.

Calum Beaton
As with all Daziel & Pascoe books a good read, slightly different with it being Pascoe light but interesting having fat Andy on his own for the majority.
Leslie Angel
i dunno, maybe it's me, but I was bored with this one. Pasco gets married and isn't in it until the end. I felt the prose was flat, unusual for Hill.
  • The Suspect
  • Murder Being Once Done (Inspector Wexford, #7)
  • The Wench Is Dead (Inspector Morse, #8)
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2)
  • Gently Does It
  • No Trace (Brock & Kolla, #8)
  • Past Reason Hated (Inspector Banks, #5)
  • Bloodhounds (Peter Diamond, #4)
  • A Mind to Murder (Adam Dalgliesh, #2)
  • Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)
Reginald Charles Hill is a contemporary English crime writer, and the winner in 1995 of the Crime Writers' Association Cartier Diamond Dagger for Lifetime Achievement.

After National Service (1955-57) and studying English at St Catherine's College, Oxford University (1957-60) he worked as a teacher for many years, rising to Senior Lecturer at Doncaster College of Education. In 1980 he retired from...more
More about Reginald Hill...
A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1) The Woodcutter On Beulah Height (Dalziel & Pascoe, #17) A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6) Death Comes for the Fat Man (Dalziel & Pascoe, #22)

“His attitude to physical clues was rather like that of the modern Christian to miracles. They could happen, but probably not just at the moment.” 3 likes