Start by marking “Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty” as Want to Read:

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,527 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
Another extraordinary business fable from the "New York Times" bestselling author Patrick Lencioni Written in the same dynamic style as his previous bestsellers including "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team," Lencioni illustrates the principles of inspiring client loyalty through a fascinating business fable. He explains the theory of vulnerability in depth and presents concr ...more
Published December 30th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published February 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Naked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Naked

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieGood to Great by James C. CollinsGetting Things Done by David AllenThe Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
The 100 Best Business Books of All Time
120th out of 276 books — 401 voters
Fluent Forever by Gabriel WynerThe Click Moment by Frans JohanssonJoy, Inc. by Richard SheridanThe Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton M. ChristensenExtreme Programming Explained by Kent Beck
Inspire the Joy of Work
14th out of 60 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
Jan 20, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
"Getting Naked" is a metaphor advanced in a new book by the prolific and insightful Patrick Lencioni, about how to build a culture of client service excellence by helping people shed their fears, baggage, and ego in any business for which dealing with clients is a driver of success.

The book, which takes the form of an accessible if sometimes contrived first-person story, focuses on the fears that effect all of us in client service-oriented business:

- Fear of losing the business, which often caus
Ashlee
Aug 31, 2011 Ashlee rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Just finished Getting Naked. Ha! I definitely learned some new ways to approach my business. It is a very fast read. Resist operating from a fear of losing business, feeling inferior, or being embarrassed and instead just serve and give to the client.

To Get Naked in Business:
Always Consult instead of Sell - (Don't be afraid of losing the business.)
Give Away the Business - (Just serve and give people what they need!)
Tell the Kind Truth - (Give the direct truth in a helpful and kind way.)
Enter the
Chad Warner
Feb 28, 2015 Chad Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consultants
Recommended to Chad by: Michael Zywicki, Sara Dunn
This book tells how consultants can forge better client relationships by being vulnerable. Vulnerable, or “naked,” service is characterized by uncommon levels of humility, selflessness, and transparency for the clients’ good. It tells how to be more like team members than vendors. The result is work that’s more enjoyable, profitable, and rewarding.

It explains three fears that hold consultants back, and how to overcome these fears. Written as a fable, it’s short, but still longer than necessary.

I
Tim
Apr 22, 2010 Tim rated it it was ok
Not much new here. Once again a fable to fill enough pages to sell a book. If you are a busy business person, just read the last 20 pages
Evgeny Mironichev
Jan 09, 2016 Evgeny Mironichev rated it it was amazing
Peter Krol
Mar 18, 2010 Peter Krol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Lencioni has a way of taking very simple principles and applying them to business situations in a profound way. Although he writes secular business books, Lencioni gives glory to God the Father through Jesus Christ in his acknowledgments. I don't always agree with everything, but I am amazed by what the application of a few biblical principles can do when one takes Paul seriously and gives "glory to God" in "whatever" he does.

In this case, Lencioni proposes a method of consulting that he calls "
Natali
Sep 10, 2014 Natali rated it liked it
First off, I didn't realize this was a fable until I was done with it. Felt dumb about that. But it almost didn't matter because this book was written as an engaging story with a valuable lesson. It feels more like a novel than a business lesson.

This may not be groundbreaking stuff in the realm of personal empowerment but I think it is in the stuffy corporate world. It is a refreshing take on how to be a human being in business and not just a suit. I liked it.
Andres
Jan 19, 2016 Andres rated it it was amazing
Disfruté mucho este libro, la historia te atrapa en seguida y de manera sutil te va mostrando las ventajas de la filosofía "vulnerability/getting naked". Las conclusiones al final del libro son muy valiosas.
Kiessa
Apr 24, 2012 Kiessa rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a business colleague whom I admire very much. He embodies the principles of the book, and if you have read the book you will recognize how special that is. That said, this book challenges human beings to bring their authenticity and vulnerability to their work, enhancing professional relationships and business transactions. While perhaps not the most revolutionary of ideas, the application of the concept seems to be rare. I couldn't put this book down, and I ca ...more
Ryan Briones
Feb 27, 2011 Ryan Briones rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for people in service-oriented work. (I myself am a software consultant) The format, fictional story/object lesson, is the perfect delivery system for this content as well.

If you liked this book, I highly suggest you read Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box. Similar format and equally good information for folks in service-oriented work.
Andrea James
Oct 08, 2014 Andrea James rated it really liked it
I read another of Lencioni's books - The 5 dysfunctions of a team - years ago and its fable format just didn't gel with me at the time and I think I ended up reading a summary of it instead. But I came across this one and naturally found the title appealing so decided to give it a go. And this time around I rather enjoyed the storytelling and found myself eager to know more about the protagonist's consulting experiences.

I guess the book also appealed to me because I've often wondered if what I d
Roger Scherping
Aug 20, 2015 Roger Scherping rated it it was amazing
Novels about business are typically written by writers, not business people, but Lencioni has the business background, so the fable part of the book was very believable and effectively communicated the message.

I actually thought about the book's message in terms of leadership. When I started in public accounting decades ago, the typical CPA partner was a bold guy who never listened to advice from anyone, always acted decisively, and seemed to want everyone to think that he had all the answers. A
Kevin
Mar 10, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone in a service providing industry
Recommended to Kevin by: My manager
I loved this book. Having worked for nearly a decade in the consulting business myself, I can very much relate to many of the messages that are being passed on in this book. It's written and structured very clearly, provides very interesting insights into the different ways consulting firms - and you can easily expand this to service providers in general - do business, and does so from a perspective that draws you in as a reader.

I finished it in a couple of hours, and while it isn't a big book,
Randy Fox
Jul 10, 2014 Randy Fox rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Done as a narrative tale, listening to this book was really excellent and revelatory. Essentially it tells us to throw out sales scripts and manipulative technique and simply to be ourselves. Should be simple but most of us are trained to perform instead of to just be.
Mark
Nov 10, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing
This has Excellent concepts conveyed in a good story. Patrick does a great job in codifying this kind of approach (so he can convey it to us) and combining that with providing an understanding of the parts that are harder to define. This is a difficult set of concepts to convey and Patrick did an incredible job.

The crowd who will like this includes those who want to gain genuine trust and are willing to take risks to accomplish that. Those who will dislike it, are those who are more entrenched
Wil Reynolds
Nov 23, 2014 Wil Reynolds rated it really liked it
Lencioni, who is the author of 5 dysfunctions of a team, has a new way of telling business lessons, and I like it. Its in the story/fable format. This book followed a similar pattern, and I find it works well for me.

The book was kind of self serving - as I knew what the book was about and it fit my way of doing things. I still read it as I though it would be a good read for some of the folks on my team. The book outlines in a story, what happens when you as a consultant / trusted advisor put the
Raman Ohri
Oct 24, 2015 Raman Ohri rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
If you've read a Lencioni book, you know the format - fable + recap of the specific guidance. The book describes an approach to consultative work and relationships that flies against some conventional guidance and implicit behaviors.

The advice here jives with my own personal script and how I like to see people in my company operate. That's not to suggest that I could have written this down or am I perfect at it - only the congruence in principles. It's a great intro to this way of working and gi
César Giralt
Jul 04, 2015 César Giralt rated it really liked it
Not the most well written work of fiction but that's not the point. Lencioni does an excellent job of presenting a framework for how showing being vulnerable with your clients can help build trust, create buy-in, and ultimately lead to better outcomes for everyone. The quick synopsis at the end really contains the meat of the book's argument laid out in clear terms. The short novel leading up to the synopsis makes the points stick more firmly in memory. For content it would be five stars but the ...more
Kevin
Nov 17, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Picked this fantastic book up from the library and read it in a few hours. I love business books told in the structure of a story, and am a fan of Lencioni's other work.

This book is all about the power of vulnerability in business relationships, particularly in consulting or coaching fields. Over the past few years, I have increasingly warmed to this philosophy, and it is now the core of how I carry myself. The world is unfortunately filled with many fake people, so there is room for authentic p
Ralf Kruse
Dec 29, 2014 Ralf Kruse rated it it was amazing
This book impressed me. What is good consulting? This question bothered me since years. Good consulting is highly honest and client focused. The book summarises in his story and his model really well on what my understanding of good consulting looks like.
The described model isn’t simple, but not easy to apply. In fact even without the model I strived towards this high standard. It challenging and rewarding. The book moved my view from a bit fussy picture on what I strive fore to a making it more
Diane
Apr 14, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
As a new consultant, I was looking for a book that could give me some insight on the best way to work for a client. Getting Naked provided that insight. The morals and philosophies this amazing group of people can be applied to my current position. I am currently working to ensure that when I am working with a client I am doing naked consulting, asking 'dumb' questions has always been easy for me, but the other fears cited in the book are ones that are very hard to overcome. With this as a refer ...more
Omar U
May 18, 2013 Omar U rated it liked it
Decent read, not as universal as Lencioni's other books. If you're in consulting then it's definitely a must read.
Robert Lewis
Nov 23, 2015 Robert Lewis rated it it was amazing
Great fictional story to highlight some important business principles and teach Lencioni's consulting style. I was a fan of "The Goal," and when I was explaining it to a colleague she insisted I read "Getting Naked."

A wonderful look into the idea that just because another company's culture is a little different it doesn't mean it's wrong. And in today's world where good talent is hard to find, if you're not offering a healthy culture, work-life balance and perks beyond just high pay you will los
Dan George
Feb 19, 2014 Dan George rated it really liked it
Like every other Lencioni book I've read, "Getting Naked" is a a strong value proposition for the reader -- a quick read with very practical principles. The author might not like that comment, because it sounds a bit like selling instead of consulting. (You will have to read the book to get that.)

"Getting Naked" is about naked or vulnerable customer service where the consultant or service provider is so concerned about serving the client and doing what is best for the client that they don't care
Patrick
May 29, 2015 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting Naked is a "business fable", a genre in which the author takes a pamphlet-sized set of business principles or a short theory and expands it into a short, light narrative through which he introduces the concepts.* It's padding, but it's a much more enjoyable way to learn than a dry, lecture-y business treatise. Overall, I approve. (Besides, if you have to pad, at least pad with a story. De Bono Edward's Six Thinking Hats was padding via repetition, and that was far worse.)

In Getting Naked
E
Jun 08, 2010 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Building Business Relationships: A Fable

Being vulnerable takes guts, especially in business. But the payoff, explains best-selling author Patrick Lencioni, is strong, honest client relationships that engender trust and allegiance. Lencioni puts forth his “naked service” model via a story about a fictitious consultant named Jack Bauer (not to be confused with the main character on the TV show “24”). Jack, an up-and-comer at a big consulting firm, is put in charge of the newly acquired Lighthouse
Jeff
Mar 10, 2012 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-book-list
I'm kind of over books that have a fable at the beginning and then tell you the meaning at the end. Just give the meaning.

I liked this book but it wasn't one of Lencioni's best.

Getting Naked means being vulnerable with your client -- "embracing uncommon levels of humility, selflessness and transparency for the good of a client." There are three fears that prevent us from building trust and loyalty with clients:

1. Fear of losing the business. What clients want more than anything is to know we'
Batch Batchelder
Jun 17, 2012 Batch Batchelder rated it it was amazing
Another excellent, simple compilation of wisdom from Lencioni. Easy to read, easy to understand parable that describes the principles he has used in building his firm (uber-successful Table Group).

He contends that client loyalty and trust are achieved by overcoming the following three fears:

1. A Fear of Losing the Business drives a service provider to protect their client base, business opportunities and revenue by censoring feedback and avoiding difficult issues.

To Overcome: Give Away the Bu
Brian
Apr 12, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: economics
Getting Naked provides an interesting look inside the world of management consulting by looking at the culture of two firms. On one side you have the traditional churn and burn em mentality of research and on the other the Naked approach where consultants consult and the selling is done by happy customers. The author takes us through the merger of the traditional firm and trying to digest the culture of the smaller quirky firm that does not have Harvard MBA’s but charges more per hour and consta ...more
Gene Babon
Sep 06, 2011 Gene Babon rated it liked it
Shelves: strategy
Another solid contribution by Patrick Lencioni in the same vein as The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. Patrick educates by telling fables. His books are easy reads and the message is usually clear.

Getting Naked refers to getting comfortable being vulnerable. When we try to hide our weaknesses, we erode our credibility. The fable that puts this theory to the test centers around the acquisition of one management consulting firm by another. The two firms have different cultures. The acquiring firm rel
Slalom - San Fran...: Trying to make this specific to a book 1 1 Dec 30, 2012 05:07PM
  • Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • Read This Before Our Next Meeting
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • The Human Side of Enterprise
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • The Way of the Shepherd: 7 Ancient Secrets to Managing Productive People
  • The On-Time, On-Target Manager: How a "Last-Minute Manager" Conquered Procrastination
  • The Future of Management
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni...

“What clients want more than anything is to know that we’re more interested in helping them than we are in maintaining our revenue source.” 2 likes