Start by marking “The Dangerous Days of Daniel X” as Want to Read:
The Dangerous Days of Daniel X

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X (Daniel X #1)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,014 Ratings  ·  1,433 Reviews
Yes, it's true: Daniel X is special. X-traordinarily special.

He may be just a kid, but Daniel is strong enough to fight anything in the world. And it's a good thing, because not many guys you meet have a host of deadly criminals hunting them to the ends of the Earth. And none of them are extraterrestrials .

Daniel is the only one who might be able to eliminate every las
Published June 15th 2010 by jimmy patterson (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Dangerous Days of Daniel X, please sign up.

Evan Scriviner That's just James Patterson's writing style. It's meant to keep the point quick and concise, so if at any time you need to put the book down, it's not…moreThat's just James Patterson's writing style. It's meant to keep the point quick and concise, so if at any time you need to put the book down, it's not "One more chapter," it's "One more page."(less)

Erika
Jul 23, 2008 Erika rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
This is so the worst book known to man. I would say it is MIB meet Naked Gun 2 1/2. I really can not believe this book. Of course I choose it to read with my sister after getting into the Maximum Ride series. He is after all a reputable writer. Everyone has a few bad novels right. I even looked past the upset with the "Final Warning" in the Max Ride series.
Anyway words can not describe how awful this book is. Suffice it to say I will not be finishing it. Can't even finish it. The writing stinks
Michael
Jul 23, 2010 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: don-t-judge-me
This book was, well...strange, to say the least. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. This is my first James Patterson "family" book, but really, no one over twelve would find this very interesting. It's like the authors are writing for eight-year-olds, at most. Some of my main concerns with this novel are:

1. The Short Chapters. In his adult thrillers, the two or three page chapters are used very nicely. They're all like mini cliffhangers, and make you want to read on. In this book, though, th
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Well ... honestly, I don't know what to say. After being terribly disappointed by the fourth Maximum Ride installment, I picked this one up in the hopes that maybe Patterson would start off a series that was just as good ... that maybe had the potential not to get ruined as MR did. Unfortunately, I don't really see this series going anywhere. I swear this book was one of the worst I have read in my entire life, and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if it was secretly written by a twelve-year-old. ...more
Karin
James Patterson has teamed up with Michael Ledwidge to write another young adult novel. James Patterson has already been successful in the young adult world with his wildly popular Maximum Ride series. James and Michael have worked together on two recent adult bestsellers - THE QUICKIE and STEP ON A CRACK.

THE DANGEROUS DAYS OF DANIEL X is an extremely fast read. Patterson’s traditional short chapters make you feel like your are flying through the pages. The story is fun to read, but it doesn’t h
Ben
Aug 06, 2008 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
An amazingly quick read. It felt more like a saturday morning cartoon than a novel. It was light and teen-friendly without worrying about anything inappropriate. It deals with Daniel, an alien-hunter and his exploits in hunting a particular alien. It has short, choppy chapters and I read the whole thing (200+ pages) waiting for a plane in about 2 hours. It has a "Men in Black" kind of feel to it - almost comic-like, rather than serious. But I can't get over how fast it reads. I am disappointed i ...more
Breanne
Aug 23, 2008 Breanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Here is my nice review for our library's blog:

Daniel was born with the power to create. His abilities include being able to manipulate objects and animals with his mind and to re-create himself in any shape he chooses. His mission: he is an Alien Hunter. From the day that his parents were murdered before him, he has used his unique gifts to hunt down villainous aliens on earth until he can close in on their killer.

This book combines the humorous quips of Spiderman with the repellant bad-guy alie
Gracie ;)
Apr 26, 2009 Gracie ;) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie
Dec 15, 2008 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patterson fans. BIG Patterson fans.
Recommended to Julie by: Read other Patterson books.
I understand what James Patterson is trying to do here - duplicate the success he's had to Maximum Ride by creating another fantastical, out-there series that can be marketed to a YA audience. It's even part of his "Pageturner" category, where "special care has been taken with the language and content" so that it is appropriate for all ages.

I would like to say, that despite this "care," it featured a seriously nasty fight scene gross enough that I had to skip part of it. Ewwwwwwwww.

The formula j
Matt
Apr 26, 2012 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel X is one badass dude. He has almost every power you'd want:

- Telepathy,
- The instantaneous (temporary) creation and manipulation of animate and inanimate objects,
- Super-Human Durability, Strength, and Speed

Unfortunately for Daniel, all that's moot because Daniel's book? Yeah, pretty shitty. The powers Danny's without?

- ANY SORT of character depth/building
- Well-constructed, interesting story line
- The ability to make it rain (throw some Ds on that, throw some Ds)

What pisses me off about
Matt
Apr 08, 2009 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Daniel X is pretty much like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" meets "Men in Black" but it is not half as good as either of those two media efforts.

The main character's super powers are very unbelievable, and they leave the reader wondering, if this guy is so powerful he should be able to defeat the bad guys with both hands tied behind his back, but I guess it would only be a short story if that was the case.

It would seem that Patterson is someone who just doesn't get that whole "science fiction thing"
Michelle
Jul 28, 2008 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I can't believe that I am giving a Patterson book such a low rating, but...
I did finish this book, but about 20 pages in I knew it was not going to be good. I had absolutely no attachment to the main character whatsoever, and the whole gist of the story did not interest me. (And it's not like I don't like the idea of aliens and whatnot...I have been loving Stephanie Meyer's books...)
Overall, a HUGE disappointment. I have loved James Patterson for years, picking up every single book that had
LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)
I read this a while ago, so I don't really remember too much about this book.

But this is what I do remember.

I didn't like it. Not that much. It was not terrible, just not good either.

I just didn't like it on a simple, sentence by sentence basis. James Patterson's YA, which I've sampled, all have very similar problems-- poor pacing (events right after each other, just boom, boom, boom, without any introspection or breathing room) and the writing was very choppy. For some reason, I never really l
Juli Anna
Feb 08, 2015 Juli Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I feel guilty giving any book 1 star, but God, this was pathetic. Sorry, Daniel X fans. I've actually read up to the third until now, and I have NO idea why. Well, no, I do--- these books are just SO FUN to critique. I've actually written commentary in the margins of the third book (shouldn't have bought it, waste of money). Yeah, well....

On the actual review of the first book:

facepalm/

It was really, really stupid. So basically, Daniel's parents are brutally murdered by the universe's most evil a
gina
Jun 12, 2011 gina rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Every so often a book makes me angry because it is so poorly written. The Dangerous Days of Daniel X is one of these books.

I read this book to screen it for my classroom library. In particular, one of my fourth grade boys (we'll call him Tom) refuses to read anything but action books. At the beginning of the school year, Tom unabashedly exclaimed that he hated to read. I made it my personal quest to change him and asked him what kinds of video games he likes. He said, "I like violent games!" Qu
Maggie
Apr 13, 2009 Maggie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I didn't like this book from James Patterson, even though I loved some of his others. With this said, authors have their down sides, too. There comes a good one--a *really* good one--and then comes a bad.

I love James Patterson--I think he's amazing, but I don't think that this was one of his best works. I was not into it, but being OCD, I made myself finish it. I didn't feel attached to Daniel, like I do to some of other characters from different books.

Creative idea, I think, just not so
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay it's slightly flawed. It reads a little "jerkily", lots of short "choppy chapters" and not too detailed in some ways. BUT I liked it and I'll be watching for the sequels. The idea of an "Alien bounty hunter" isn't new, but if handled well it has and can give a lot of mileage. This book is just a story and it's meant to be read for enjoyment, that's what it gives, simple enjoyment.

Brain candy but a fun read.
John
Dec 10, 2015 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just wow. THE DANGEROUS DAYS OF DANIEL X sucks so hard it could pull a black hole inside out. There is, perhaps, a clever germ of an idea to be found somewhere in all this mess, but... This book wouldn't even be publishable if it didn't have Patterson's name on it. And I'm guessing that his name on the cover is the only part of the book that Patterson actually wrote.
Varun Yelamanchi
I loved The Dangerous Days of Daniel X. This is one of the most intriguing books i ever read. Who doesn't want to read a book about a teenage alien hunter on a mission to save the world. There was no boring or bland spot in this book which is very rare. My experience with this book was fantastic and i I'm looking forward to reading the sequels.

"I spent the better part of the next hour lying there on the cold stone floor, Writhing for pain, Probably close to death"(Patterson 128). This quote sums
harlequin {Stephanie}
Literary wise this should be slathered in gasoline and set alight.

Considering it's written for ages ten and up Patterson dumbs this down too much. Writing style aside, this was a tolerable read. If it was any longer it wouldn't have been. Not fascinating, but had some interesting ideas. A few too many maybe for such a short book.
Xavier Andrade
Apr 07, 2016 Xavier Andrade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting. This book makes me not want to put it down! It was addicting to read. A Suspenseful, action packed adventure about a teenage alien living among humans with an amazing power… to create!

This book follows the protagonist, Daniel X, on his adventure to hunt down deadly aliens on “The List”. He wants to get revenge for the death of his family by the one known as The Prayer, deadly alien number one on his list. We learn about the power Daniel holds and his potential from creating REAL friend
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
I semi-read this book a century ago and I didn't like it at all, hence why I didn't bother to write a review for it. If you really want a review, please read Matt's warning review here.

Lanie
May 31, 2016 Lanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Yeah... So James Patterson books are definitely a bit or miss deal. :/ some of his books I really like. Ive enjoyed my recent rereadings The first 3 maximum ride books. & I absolutely loved "confessions of a murder suspect." But i hated "zoo" so much that I had to give up on it eentirely. "The dangerous days of Daniel X" falls in the "zoo" pile.

Sorry, not sorry. Can't finish. Sad, because it sounds like a cool idea. Alien hunting? An exciting idea for some good old sci-fy times. :)

Except it
Cheryl
The boys are going to like this one...aliens, gore, and a superhero 15 year old...I'll definitely order a copy for the media center.
Liam
Jan 03, 2016 Liam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Liam by: Joe Hutton
The book is called 'The Dangerous Days of Daniel X' By James Patterson and Michael Hedwidge. The book came out in 2010 and is a fairly popular book directed towards young adults. It is a science fiction book intended for an audience that enjoys reading books that are far from realistic, but still make you feel like your there. When I chose this book I was expecting it to be a little more mature than it really was. In my opinion this book is intended to be enjoyed by even younger adults than myse ...more
Dondee Gocongg
Feb 22, 2016 Dondee Gocongg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He is still fight for his wish
Gil
Jun 03, 2012 Gil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

DO
NOT
READ.
Aaron
Dec 30, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
daniel ramkissoon
Nov 18, 2010 daniel ramkissoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i actually really liked this book i think that it was fun,exciting and full of emotion. I think that James Patterson really did put a lot of effort into this book which made it so good. It had many twists and turn there was mainly only two problems: the super powerful alien that he has to defeat and he has to save these kids who are being held captive by this alien kidnapper who has been using them as slave. Daniel did recieve a lot of heart break because his parents died and it turns out his g ...more
Kandice
Sep 22, 2009 Kandice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like Patterson's style. I have always liked his adult books, and fell in love with the Maximum Ride series. I was looking for that. It's obvious he was going for the same feeling with Daniel, but fell short of the mark.

Reading this book was like reading a comic book someone had written instead of drawn. I DO mean comic book, NOT graphic novel. The situations were so forced, and the action so unreal, I could just imagine the "Kablam!!", "!Kapowwie!" and "Swoosh!" captions you see alongside the
the sound of Autumn
I really didn't like this book. I mean I really, really didn't like this book. From the beginning I sort of had mixed feelings about it, but soon enough the only reason I was still reading was because I was forcing myself to finish the book. I hoped it would get better, but it just never did.

First of all, the main character has WAY too many powers. Shape-shifting, mind control, physic powers, uber strength, he's a freaking genius, and he can arrange molecules with his mind. I understand just on
IRA 1 4 Oct 01, 2013 08:20PM
Pattersonville - ...: The Dangerous Days of Daniel X 2 11 Oct 08, 2012 06:34AM
  • The Lazarus Pit
  • The Day America Told the Truth
  • Loch
  • The Reckoning (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #3)
  • The Challenge (Steel Trapp, #1)
  • The Secret War (Jack Blank Adventure, #2)
  • Fallen Flowers
  • The Glitch in Sleep (The Seems, #1)
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • The Villain Virus (NERDS, #4)
  • Hide and Seek
  • Obsession and Sacrifice (The Alaskan Heart Saga, #2)
  • Kitty Hawk (I, Q, #3)
  • Sound Bender (Sound Bender #1)
  • The Death Collector (Department of Unclassified Artefacts, #1)
  • The Clan of the Cats (Horseclans, #18)
  • The Light (Morpheus Road, #1)
  • Marco's Millions (Marco's Millions #1)
Offical US Site
Offical UK Site
Offical James Patterson Young Adult Site
Offical Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350 milli
More about James Patterson...

Daniel X (6 books)
  • Watch the Skies (Daniel X #2)
  • Demons and Druids (Daniel X, #3)
  • Game Over (Daniel X, #4)
  • Armageddon (Daniel X, #5)
  • Lights Out (Daniel X, #6)

“Keep this in mind: there are no coincidences.” 37 likes
“And then as always, I saw the prayer coming at me.
And, as always, Number 1 killed me! Set me on fire, cooked me to medium rare and then ate me!
I really, really, really hope I haven't just given away the ending of this story.”
29 likes