Start by marking “The Viking Takes a Knight (Viking I, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Viking Takes a Knight (Viking I, #9)

The Viking Takes a Knight (Viking I #9)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  584 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The Viking Is a Princess . . .

All Ingrith wants is refuge for herself and a group of orphans from a vicious Saxon commander who would harm the children and destroy her honor. At her age, she no longer expects to find a husband, or even a lover, especially not the arrogant Lord of the Bees!

John of Hawk's Lair longs for peace and quiet, not a nagging wife and noisy chil

Published August 31st 2010 by Avon (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Viking Takes a Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Viking Takes a Knight

Lady Rogue
Sep 19, 2010 Lady Rogue rated it really liked it
S
Jul 16, 2010 S rated it it was amazing
I read this as an e-Proof. This is part of the Viking Series I, the one with Vikings but no Navy SEALs or time travel, for the most part. The hero is John of Hawk's Lair, the son of beekeeper Lady Eadyth from "The Tarnished Lady". He likes to perform experiments on honey. The heroine is Princess Ingrith Sigrundottir, one of the sisters in "Viking in Love", and almost thirty one. She's in charge of the orphanage Rainstead and when the commander of the king's garrison at Jorvik, Leo of Loncaster, ...more
Penny Watson
Sep 11, 2010 Penny Watson rated it it was amazing
The Viking Takes A Knight by Sandra Hill.

I could tell right away this was not your typical romance from the chapter titles...for example, "Sometimes the best meals involve no food", "He never promised her a rose garden", "Even a thousand years ago, men were clueless", and my personal favorite..."Some men bang their heads against a wall, others bang..." Hee hee hee! Sandra Hill has a hilarious sense of humor. This book rocks! The heroine is feisty and fun, the hero is a wicked lusty beekeeper, a
Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Mar 05, 2012 Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill rated it it was amazing
This book was F.U,N. to read! It had me laughing on more than one occasion but that's not to undermine the seriousness of the situation that Ingrith and John are in. This wasn't a typical romance in that the heroine is fiesty and needy at the same time and very clingy and shy. I do like those romances but Ingrith didn't meet that profile at all. She was curious, funny and outspoken which often took the other characters by surprise. She was a welcome relief to the everyday type of romance.

John wa
Pam
Sep 07, 2010 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I first started reading it. But...it lost 2 *'s because it had so many sex scenes over and over again...ie. shampoo rinse ..repeat. But when Hill got back to the story the book was great again. As I read this book I did alot of smiling.

This is a story about a Viking Princess, Ingrith and a sort of nerdy saxon knight. He loves bees and studies them all the time. He is doing experiments with honey on his villagers. He is very happy living in his own world of bees and experim
Jody
Aug 08, 2010 Jody rated it really liked it
Princess Ingrith of Stoneheim is not like other females, which is why she's still unmarried at the advanced age of thirty-one. She's outspoken, wears breeches, and asserts herself in what's considered a very unladylike way. Another thing she does that's considered inappropriate for an unwed female is that she runs an orphanage for abused and troubled children. It's because of the orphanage that she comes to the attention of the King's man, Loncaster. Loncaster tries to force his attentions on he ...more
The UHQ Nasanta
1 star

I don't think this author's writing style works for me. I read the words but they meant nothing to me. While it amused me to have a historical romance written in such an anachronistic style with modern dialogue, it was off-putting as well. While there was humor in it, it wasn't the type of humor to appeal to me, especially when I was already irritated with everything else. The plot was ridiculous. The dialogue was ridiculous. The characters...well, you get the picture.

I didn't feel any co
M A
I've been reading Sandra Hill's Viking novels since the late 1990's. Hill really loves her subject matter and it comes out in her writing. Hill is the rare author who presents scenarios skirting ridiculous with so much conviction I fall into her fictional dream. And I have a great time. This is very unusual since I prefer my historical fiction as "pure" as possible. Hill's storytelling just pushes my buttons and I'm willing to roll with her vision. She's great.

Hill wrote erotic romance long bef
Jeski
Jun 02, 2012 Jeski rated it liked it
I sincerely doubt that there are many romance readers that actually like when the mistress is a present throughout much of the book and I certainly do not. Never mind that the mistress - who is not the mistress, according to John, our hero - is quite nice and comely.

I have to say, I understood the conflict with John not wanting kids. I understood the instant attraction- though it did seem off how fast that played out - and it was refreshing, in an odd way, how open Ingrith, our heroin, was to s
Misfit
Jun 17, 2010 Misfit marked it as will-never-read
Lol, Harriet just gave it five and this quote from her review is priceless,

" The story line is fast-paced while Ms. Hill provides fascinating ways to use honey that the experimenters amongst readers will want to test with their significant other. The lead couple is a terrific pairing as each is fully developed so the audience will understand the motives and flaws of both as the almost aptly titled The Viking Takes a Knight as her honey."

And no, I already read the last one so someone else has to
Karen L
Jan 01, 2014 Karen L rated it it was amazing
The main female character, Ingrith, kept me laughing with what she said to people; she will tell you the truth even when you don't want to know or talk about things you don't talk about in front of people. The main male character, John AKA Hawk, could not keep up with her or the orphans she was caring for at his castle. Bolthor, the world's worst bard is back and up to his eyeballs in writing ballads that he thinks people will love to hear even though they poke fun at the people he is living wit ...more
Leah
Jan 25, 2012 Leah rated it liked it
Ingrith and her orphaned children go to John for protection. He just doesn't know that at first ;)

He is a beekeeper when he is not a knight in the king's service and the children run rampant through his flower beds as Ingrith, who loves to cook, runs rampant through his honey supply that he uses for his experiments. John in the meantime is trying to keep his wits about him. As always, the book is smack full of funnies, and as Sandra Hill takes you down a path towards a happy ending, there are mi
Fleur
Nov 06, 2014 Fleur rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
Een boek dat een overgaat van het ene zoetsappige cliché in het andere. Verschrikkelijk is dat een vrouw nauwelijks anders wordt omschreven als wicht of heks dat zogenaamd heel naïef moet zijn en tegelijkertijd wild en mondig. Maar niet alleen vrouwen worden teruggebracht tot stereotypen ook de mannen zijn niet anders dan knap, sterk, bazig en stug. Het verhaal was soms vermakelijk, maar ik ben blij dat ik er nu van af ben. Thanks Maaike, Floortje en Jolien ;)
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
I'm reluctant to read this one because the last book with Breanne wasn't as good as I'd hoped it was a poor job. I love Tyra and Adam though and her sisters were very interesting and fun but in the last book they fell flat for me. I'm hoping Ingrith doesn't fail to intrigue me with her story but I'm kind of putting her story on hold because I'm cautious now.. and don't want my hopes to be too high.. which they aren't..
Cindy
Jul 06, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: review, 3-stars
Amusing are the fights between John and Ingrith. The words which are used for that made me smile more than once.
Ingrith knows what she wants and goes for it. Problem is sometimes she should listen to somebody before she jumps to conclusions. On the other hand John is also acting stupid from time to time in this book. A true man ;-)
Nice and fun read.
Melissa
A knight who is a bee keeper and details his honey experiments in writing. I found it hard to identify with any of the characters. In addition the love scenes were not my taste. There were too many of them without the romance part and they were definitely over the top.[return][return]In short, the book was abandoned quickly.
Amelia-Irene
Dec 13, 2010 Amelia-Irene rated it really liked it
I locve Sandra Hill's books and usually laugh through a good part of them. This one is no exception to the rule. Have to 30+ years with no desire to marry in the good old 900's something that was basically unheard of then, and folks trying to match them up in marriage traps and it can be funny. Enjoy.
Veronica
Apr 25, 2013 Veronica rated it liked it
Humorous, intelligent and beguiling. Those are the words to describe this book.

Characterization seemed to be lacking, though, even though the plot moved along at a great clip.

But there were too many unresolved issues. I almost feel as if I need to reread it because it feels like I've missed scores of pages.
Oct 11, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, own-it
Silly simply silly are how I think of most this authors books, and this doesn't vary from the pack. The viking princess series could be compared to Asterix & Obelix comics, set in a time period but not "of" the historical setting. If you like exasperated heros & a strong leading lady with steamy, sticky & sweet sex, then this is for you.
Dawn ♥ romance
Oct 10, 2011 Dawn ♥ romance rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
This was a fun book with plenty of humor and an exciting ending but hero's resistance was too much and heroine took it. It irritated me such that I didn't enjoy steamy scenes usually my favorite part. Princess Ingrith runs with orphans to beekeeper John's home. I've read all Sandra Hill books and like her others better.
Tiffany
May 29, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I love all of Sandra Hill's Viking romances and this one was exactly what I was looking for. There's humor, a little adventure, typical romance and the worlds worst skald!

I devour these books so fast. The one thing that baffled me is that they knew each other from the before she ended up at invading his home yet they only just now have feelings for each other?
Vasilena
Aug 31, 2013 Vasilena rated it liked it
Ohh, not as redunculously funny as promised but still some of those honey references are going to seriously crack you up! Some of the earlier installments could make you bowl over in laughter though :)
Lillian Cummings
Apr 23, 2015 Lillian Cummings rated it really liked it
Ingrith needs to finds somewhere to keep herself & her orphans safe. John is a quiet man who longs for a wife but not with so many children. He tries to get rid of her but she refuses to go. They realise that they have much in common and he will protect her and all the orphans.
Alex
Jul 15, 2010 Alex rated it did not like it
The thing that really bothered me with this book was the dialogue...it was too contemporary for me; it wasn't historically accurate. 'Viking in Love' was x10 times better than this and so I think she could be a 'hit-and-miss' authour for me.
Simmu Pham
Jan 31, 2015 Simmu Pham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
Ooh it was fun reading this book!
Becky
Jan 22, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I loved this book! Parts of it were so funny I couldn't keep from laughing out loud. The characters were very strong and likable. A wonderful read for anyone.
Zury
Oct 29, 2011 Zury rated it liked it
This book was nice. Once of the slowest, but def. worth it.
Angie
Sep 16, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it
I love Sandra Hill's joyful stories where the journey to love is half the fun! I also love a story where children are involved.
Jen
Jul 15, 2013 Jen rated it did not like it
Why. Never again.
Lorraine Lesar
Jul 02, 2012 Lorraine Lesar rated it it was amazing
Loved it, loved it! It was funny - had me laughing out loud within the first three pages. The story line was good and I loved the "thoughts in head". Highly original and fun!
  • Velvet, Leather & Lace: A Man's Gotta Do/Calling the Shots/Baring It All
  • Moonburn (Abra Barrow #2)
  • Hunting the Demon (Demon Hunters, #2)
  • The Notorious Scoundrel (The Hawkins Brothers #2)
  • Too Wicked To Kiss (Scoundrels & Secrets, #1)
  • To Tempt a Saint (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Viking!
  • Ravished by a Viking
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Ladies Prefer Rogues: Four Novellas of Time-Travel Passion
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • Frontier Courtship
  • Wanted: Mail-Order Mistress (Gentlemen of Fortune, #3)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • The Saxon  (Viking, #2)
  • Poisoned Kisses (Mythica #3)
  • The Viking's Defiant Bride (Victorious Vikings #1)

Sandra Hill is a graduate of Penn State and worked for more than 10 years as a features writer and education editor for publications in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Writing about serious issues taught her the merits of seeking the lighter side of even the darkest stories. Sh
More about Sandra Hill...

Viking I (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Reluctant Viking (Viking I, #1)
  • The Outlaw Viking (Viking I, #2)
  • The Tarnished Lady (Viking I, #3)
  • The Bewitched Viking (Viking  I, #4)
  • The Blue Viking (Viking I, #5)
  • My Fair Viking (Viking I, #6)
  • A Tale of Two Vikings (Viking I, #7)
  • Viking in Love (Viking I, #8)
  • The Norse King's Daughter (Viking I, #10)
  • The Pirate Bride (Viking I, #11)