Start by marking “The Viking Takes a Knight (Viking I, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Viking Takes a Knight (Viking I, #9)

The Viking Takes a Knight (Viking I #9)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The Viking Is a Princess . . .

All Ingrith wants is refuge for herself and a group of orphans from a vicious Saxon commander who would harm the children and destroy her honor. At her age, she no longer expects to find a husband, or even a lover, especially not the arrogant Lord of the Bees!

John of Hawk's Lair longs for peace and quiet, not a nagging wife and noisy chil

Published August 31st 2010 by Avon (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Viking Takes a Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Viking Takes a Knight

The Home Court Advantage by N.M. SilberThe Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberWallbanger by Alice ClaytonSeduction and Snacks by Tara SivecConfessions of an Alli Cat by Courtney Cole
Romances that make you laugh out loud
60th out of 359 books — 156 voters
The Norseman by Jason BornFrozen in Time by Koko BrownPaths of the Norseman by Jason BornMalice Striker by Jianne CarloThe Viking Takes a Knight by Sandra Hill
Viking Era
5th out of 43 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Pam
I loved this book when I first started reading it. But...it lost 2 *'s because it had so many sex scenes over and over again...ie. shampoo rinse ..repeat. But when Hill got back to the story the book was great again. As I read this book I did alot of smiling.

This is a story about a Viking Princess, Ingrith and a sort of nerdy saxon knight. He loves bees and studies them all the time. He is doing experiments with honey on his villagers. He is very happy living in his own world of bees and experim
Penny Watson
The Viking Takes A Knight by Sandra Hill.

I could tell right away this was not your typical romance from the chapter titles...for example, "Sometimes the best meals involve no food", "He never promised her a rose garden", "Even a thousand years ago, men were clueless", and my personal favorite..."Some men bang their heads against a wall, others bang..." Hee hee hee! Sandra Hill has a hilarious sense of humor. This book rocks! The heroine is feisty and fun, the hero is a wicked lusty beekeeper, a
S
I read this as an e-Proof. This is part of the Viking Series I, the one with Vikings but no Navy SEALs or time travel, for the most part. The hero is John of Hawk's Lair, the son of beekeeper Lady Eadyth from "The Tarnished Lady". He likes to perform experiments on honey. The heroine is Princess Ingrith Sigrundottir, one of the sisters in "Viking in Love", and almost thirty one. She's in charge of the orphanage Rainstead and when the commander of the king's garrison at Jorvik, Leo of Loncaster, ...more
Kristi
This book was F.U,N. to read! It had me laughing on more than one occasion but that's not to undermine the seriousness of the situation that Ingrith and John are in. This wasn't a typical romance in that the heroine is fiesty and needy at the same time and very clingy and shy. I do like those romances but Ingrith didn't meet that profile at all. She was curious, funny and outspoken which often took the other characters by surprise. She was a welcome relief to the everyday type of romance.

John wa
Lady Rogue
The UHQ Nasanta
1 star

I don't think this author's writing style works for me. I read the words but they meant nothing to me. While it amused me to have a historical romance written in such an anachronistic style with modern dialogue, it was off-putting as well. While there was humor in it, it wasn't the type of humor to appeal to me, especially when I was already irritated with everything else. The plot was ridiculous. The dialogue was ridiculous. The characters...well, you get the picture.

I didn't feel any co
M A
I've been reading Sandra Hill's Viking novels since the late 1990's. Hill really loves her subject matter and it comes out in her writing. Hill is the rare author who presents scenarios skirting ridiculous with so much conviction I fall into her fictional dream. And I have a great time. This is very unusual since I prefer my historical fiction as "pure" as possible. Hill's storytelling just pushes my buttons and I'm willing to roll with her vision. She's great.

Hill wrote erotic romance long bef
Jeski
I sincerely doubt that there are many romance readers that actually like when the mistress is a present throughout much of the book and I certainly do not. Never mind that the mistress - who is not the mistress, according to John, our hero - is quite nice and comely.

I have to say, I understood the conflict with John not wanting kids. I understood the instant attraction- though it did seem off how fast that played out - and it was refreshing, in an odd way, how open Ingrith, our heroin, was to s
Jody
Princess Ingrith of Stoneheim is not like other females, which is why she's still unmarried at the advanced age of thirty-one. She's outspoken, wears breeches, and asserts herself in what's considered a very unladylike way. Another thing she does that's considered inappropriate for an unwed female is that she runs an orphanage for abused and troubled children. It's because of the orphanage that she comes to the attention of the King's man, Loncaster. Loncaster tries to force his attentions on he ...more
Cindy
Amusing are the fights between John and Ingrith. The words which are used for that made me smile more than once.
Ingrith knows what she wants and goes for it. Problem is sometimes she should listen to somebody before she jumps to conclusions. On the other hand John is also acting stupid from time to time in this book. A true man ;-)
Nice and fun read.
Fleur
Dec 01, 2014 Fleur rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Een boek dat een overgaat van het ene zoetsappige cliché in het andere. Verschrikkelijk is dat een vrouw nauwelijks anders wordt omschreven als wicht of heks dat zogenaamd heel naïef moet zijn en tegelijkertijd wild en mondig. Maar niet alleen vrouwen worden teruggebracht tot stereotypen ook de mannen zijn niet anders dan knap, sterk, bazig en stug. Het verhaal was soms vermakelijk, maar ik ben blij dat ik er nu van af ben. Thanks Maaike, Floortje en Jolien ;)
Tammy
Mar 09, 2012 Tammy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical romance lovers
I liked this book better the first time I read it. It is book #9 of the Viking I series that I have been reading back to back. I would highly recommend breaking it up a time or two instead of back to back. I think there is a such thing as funny horny viking overdose. That said it really is a good book.
Ingrith that loves her independence and loves to cook finds that she needs protection. Add John of Hawks Lair that would rather spend time with his bee experiments. Add beeology, rose, orphans, bal
Leah
Ingrith and her orphaned children go to John for protection. He just doesn't know that at first ;)

He is a beekeeper when he is not a knight in the king's service and the children run rampant through his flower beds as Ingrith, who loves to cook, runs rampant through his honey supply that he uses for his experiments. John in the meantime is trying to keep his wits about him. As always, the book is smack full of funnies, and as Sandra Hill takes you down a path towards a happy ending, there are mi
Misfit
Aug 17, 2012 Misfit marked it as will-never-read
Lol, Harriet just gave it five and this quote from her review is priceless,

" The story line is fast-paced while Ms. Hill provides fascinating ways to use honey that the experimenters amongst readers will want to test with their significant other. The lead couple is a terrific pairing as each is fully developed so the audience will understand the motives and flaws of both as the almost aptly titled The Viking Takes a Knight as her honey."

And no, I already read the last one so someone else has to
Karen
The main female character, Ingrith, kept me laughing with what she said to people; she will tell you the truth even when you don't want to know or talk about things you don't talk about in front of people. The main male character, John AKA Hawk, could not keep up with her or the orphans she was caring for at his castle. Bolthor, the world's worst bard is back and up to his eyeballs in writing ballads that he thinks people will love to hear even though they poke fun at the people he is living wit ...more
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
I'm reluctant to read this one because the last book with Breanne wasn't as good as I'd hoped it was a poor job. I love Tyra and Adam though and her sisters were very interesting and fun but in the last book they fell flat for me. I'm hoping Ingrith doesn't fail to intrigue me with her story but I'm kind of putting her story on hold because I'm cautious now.. and don't want my hopes to be too high.. which they aren't..
Tiffany
I love all of Sandra Hill's Viking romances and this one was exactly what I was looking for. There's humor, a little adventure, typical romance and the worlds worst skald!

I devour these books so fast. The one thing that baffled me is that they knew each other from the before she ended up at invading his home yet they only just now have feelings for each other?
Silly simply silly are how I think of most this authors books, and this doesn't vary from the pack. The viking princess series could be compared to Asterix & Obelix comics, set in a time period but not "of" the historical setting. If you like exasperated heros & a strong leading lady with steamy, sticky & sweet sex, then this is for you.
Melissa
A knight who is a bee keeper and details his honey experiments in writing. I found it hard to identify with any of the characters. In addition the love scenes were not my taste. There were too many of them without the romance part and they were definitely over the top.[return][return]In short, the book was abandoned quickly.
Dawn ♥ romance
This was a fun book with plenty of humor and an exciting ending but hero's resistance was too much and heroine took it. It irritated me such that I didn't enjoy steamy scenes usually my favorite part. Princess Ingrith runs with orphans to beekeeper John's home. I've read all Sandra Hill books and like her others better.
Veronica
Humorous, intelligent and beguiling. Those are the words to describe this book.

Characterization seemed to be lacking, though, even though the plot moved along at a great clip.

But there were too many unresolved issues. I almost feel as if I need to reread it because it feels like I've missed scores of pages.
Amelia-Irene
I locve Sandra Hill's books and usually laugh through a good part of them. This one is no exception to the rule. Have to 30+ years with no desire to marry in the good old 900's something that was basically unheard of then, and folks trying to match them up in marriage traps and it can be funny. Enjoy.
Alex
The thing that really bothered me with this book was the dialogue...it was too contemporary for me; it wasn't historically accurate. 'Viking in Love' was x10 times better than this and so I think she could be a 'hit-and-miss' authour for me.
Vasilena
Ohh, not as redunculously funny as promised but still some of those honey references are going to seriously crack you up! Some of the earlier installments could make you bowl over in laughter though :)
Danette Steward
3.5 My first by this author. I wasn't expecting all the sexual innuendo and the long sex scenes one right after another. I was entertained. There was a plot, but I can't remember.....
Lorraine Lesar
Loved it, loved it! It was funny - had me laughing out loud within the first three pages. The story line was good and I loved the "thoughts in head". Highly original and fun!
Becky
Jan 25, 2011 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I loved this book! Parts of it were so funny I couldn't keep from laughing out loud. The characters were very strong and likable. A wonderful read for anyone.
Gemma
Apr 05, 2012 Gemma marked it as did-not-finish
I found the contemporary slang really jarring. For instance, the hero says, "Lady Ingrith! What a pleasant surprise!" Not!

What is this, the 1980s?
Angie
I love Sandra Hill's joyful stories where the journey to love is half the fun! I also love a story where children are involved.
Karry
Very sweet book! There was the expected humor, and lots of naughty fun! A very good read.
  • Velvet, Leather & Lace: A Man's Gotta Do/Calling the Shots/Baring It All
  • To Tempt a Saint (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • Ravished by a Viking
  • Viking Warrior
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • Hunting the Demon (Demon Hunters, #2)
  • Moonburn (Abra Barrow #2)
  • The Saxon  (Viking, #2)
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins #1)
  • Celtic Fire (Druids of Avalon, #1)
  • Destined to Last (Providence, #4)
  • The Notorious Scoundrel (The Hawkins Brothers #2)
  • Ladies Prefer Rogues: Four Novellas of Time-Travel Passion
  • The Viking's Defiant Bride (Victorious Vikings #1)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Too Wicked To Kiss
  • Frontier Courtship

Sandra Hill is a graduate of Penn State and worked for more than 10 years as a features writer and education editor for publications in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Writing about serious issues taught her the merits of seeking the lighter side of even the darkest stories. Sh
More about Sandra Hill...
The Last Viking (Viking II, #1) Tall, Dark, and Cajun (Cajun, #2) The Very Virile Viking (Viking II, #3) The Reluctant Viking (Viking I, #1) The Cajun Cowboy (Cajun, #3)