Start by marking “Phantom (The Last Vampire #4)” as Want to Read:
Phantom (The Last Vampire #4)

Phantom (The Last Vampire #4)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  3,145 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews

After five thousand years she was again mortal.

The dead alchemist's experiment has worked. Alisa is no longer a vampire, but a frail and confused human. Not only that -- she is pregnant. The baby grows in her at supernatural speed. As the stranger watches. The stranger from the past.

But what child will Alisa's seed produce?

A demon or an angel? Alisa does not know.

Mass Market Paperback, 179 pages
Published May 1st 1996 by Archway Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Phantom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phantom

Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Μετά την σοκαριστική αποκάλυψη με την οποία ρίχνει αυλαία το 3ο βιβλίο της σειράς, και αφού οι εκδόσεις Πατάκη αποφάσισαν πως δεν θα κυκλοφορήσουν τα υπόλοιπα στη χώρα μας, το πήρα απόφαση να τα διαβάσω στ' αγγλικά. Και πολύ καλά έκανα καθότι, τώρα άρχισε να μπαίνει το νερό στ' αυλάκι, κι αν στα προηγούμενα τρία βιβλία υπήρχαν συνεχείς ανατροπές κι εκπλήξεις, αλλά και πολύ έντονη και δυνατή δράση, όλα αυτά τα χαρακτηριστικά έρχονται να κορυφωθούν ακόμα περισσότερο. Το παρελθόν μπλέκεται με το πα ...more
Lucille
Sep 13, 2010 Lucille rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
So, Alisa has turned human, and as usual, everyone around her is dying and then coming back to life and such. She also discovers that she is pregnant. All I'm saying, is wow, Stephenie Meyer... wait to come up with that totally original idea of a vampire-human demon spawn thing that grows at an insanely fast rate and almost kills the mother and is creepy and old beyond her age and super powerful. Did you detect the hints of sarcasm? or perhaps the subtle hints that she jacked the whole idea of ' ...more
Donna
Mar 08, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing
Even after all this time I think THE LAST VAMPIRE series is still a good story. Even today it’s original and stands out against other vampire stories as something wholly different. PHANTOM carries on that tradition.

Alisa is finally mortal and this is where a baby is entered into the fray. This is probably the only situation where a vampire getting pregnant makes sense, mainly because she isn’t a vampire anymore. That doesn’t mean there isn’t something seriously wrong with her kid. It actually re
Carly
Mar 14, 2009 Carly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vampire lovers
Shelves: 2009
How can a book that I first read over ten years ago still move me the way this book did?

Pike is a great author, and one who I wish more of my students read.

This book is the story of Sita getting everything she ever wanted: a daughter, and the man who she has loved for 2,000 years. It's too good to be true, and she must decide what she really wants, and at what cost.

So good.
Autumn Iris
Jan 13, 2011 Autumn Iris rated it it was ok
This book seems very fake most of the time--the action happens too fast to be real, with little plot. Well I did learn something from this book; that this is where Stephenie Meyer got her idea for the character Renesmee.
David
Nov 13, 2013 David rated it it was ok
These books are becoming more and more ridiculous. Part of me hates them for that. The other part of me thinks that there's also an inherent brilliance in being able to maintain a story with such ludicrous plot points. But not a very big part.
Myrtale Ellery
May 26, 2016 Myrtale Ellery rated it it was ok
Amy Linendoll
Oct 01, 2014 Amy Linendoll rated it it was ok
The Last Vampire 4: Phantom by is a dark and twisted book. The Book starts out in one place and by the time I was done reading it I landing in a completely different place. This book was made to keep you guessing and looking around the corner, but all it did for me was make me confused and bored. It was filled with chaos and questions. I had started to like the book but after a while I couldn't follow it and at the end I was left disappointed.

My book The Last Vampire 4: Phantom is about a woman
Michelle
Dec 04, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Yeah, I gave this 3 stars. What about it?

This time, our friend crazy demon hand is using a sharp and dirty-looking nail to pierce some wrist flesh. And underneath the title is this text, "The monster might be an angel." Haha, what? I don't know either. So dramatic, though.

Okay, so Pike left off Book 3 with a humdinger of an ending--Sita/Alisa turned herself back into a human. Ruh-roh--what sort of adventures will she have now, you wonder. The kind of adventures where she has a demon baby, of co
Leeanna
Jan 19, 2010 Leeanna rated it liked it
The Last Vampire #4: Phantom, by Christopher Pike

When we last saw Sita, she had used an ancient alchemical process to transform from vampire to human. And so for the first time in 5,000 years, she is human...but is being human what she really wants?

At first it appears so. Minutes after the transformation is complete, Ray, her lover previously thought dead, knocks on the door. Together the two start a life of domestic bliss, and within weeks Sita is pregnant. Finally she will have a child, to re
Mel
Sep 17, 2011 Mel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, vampires
This fourth book takes a very different turn for Alisa. She is no longer a vampire, but human again. And when she discovers she is pregnant she realises that sometimes, having everything you ever wanted will not make you happy. Instead of action, this time we get more introverted discussions as Alisa is torn between love and right. That’s not to say there isn’t blood involved – this is a book about vampires!
Christopher Pike has always had a fascination with the spiritual side and this shows her
PurplyCookie
After five thousand years, Sita/Alisa is finally human again. And pregnant. But will it be an angel or a demon?

With the introduction of Kali/Kalika the reader may make hasty judgements as to her purpose in being born. Indeed, exactly what kind of creature can be conceived from the womb of a vampire? It is interesting to watch Sita's daughter grow and interact with society--leaving you wondering what she might be or do.

Perhaps it's the undercurrent of Eastern philosophy, the paradoxical dualism P
Kathy Horsman
What just happened.....

I feel like I just went through so much in this book that I can't even keep it all straight!

At the end of the last book we find Sita NOT a vampire anymore (which was nuts), so where are we going from there you might ask? Well, she's pregnant! At which point she has the fast gestational period of any myth, creature or person I have ever seen in a book. Oh, and BTW Ray, not dead, but I was really happy about that because I was so sad when we thought we lost him!

Now, the othe
Christine
The truth is, Thirst series totally deserves more than 4 stars. You see, everything about this book, this series, is brilliant. The plot is great, its pacing is good, it has enough romance, adventure and even suspense- and that's when the problem starts.

It's too suspense for me. It's a good thing for a book, but not for me. Many times I have almost suffered a heart attack. It's too terrifying for me. And I can't give it 5 stars, since 5 star books are definitely on my re-read list, and right now
Erika Baewer
Feb 08, 2013 Erika Baewer rated it liked it
Yes, I know - THREE whole stars!! This surprised even me. I was tempted to give it only two yet again; however, this one did tend to hold my interest ever-so-slightly more than the others. For that reason alone, I gave it that extra star. Having looked at the average rating for this book (4 stars), I cannot help but wonder what these people were smoking. Yes, it was OK - but not great! The plot is still sketchy and the characters are so flat - it's like they're just suddenly there and you're jus ...more
Maybelle Victor
Jan 30, 2010 Maybelle Victor rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
The Last Vampire - Phantom opened with a pounding on the door from a voice that Sita doesn't recognize. Realization was slow but she was able to piece it together, she was now human and was vulnerable. She didn't open the door and later called Seymour whom she has to rely on a bit for "tips on being human." However, Sita seems to be a penchant for trouble for even if she doesn't go out at night to feed, she found herself killing for her survival.

And then she met Ray Riley...

Click here to read mo
Paige
Aug 06, 2010 Paige rated it liked it
For 5 thousand years, Alisa, has wanted back her humanity that was stolen from her. Now her wish has come true. She can now have friends, doesn't crave blood, and the most important on her to do-list: become a mother. Just when she thinks she has everything, she realizes something is very wrong. When her child is born it is clear he/she is not normal and has a high possibility to become dangerous. Alisa battles internally with the phantom images of the one she loved and her physical emotions of ...more
Johi
Jul 30, 2013 Johi rated it really liked it
Phantom loses vampire points in my book, with Sita being human and weak and pregnant. Luckily, she's not pregnant for a long time. This story drags between chapters, and then picks up back again and that's when more people die. Almost like its title, the plot feels like a phantom of a plot. Like it's there but in the end it isn't? But because I knew what happens in the next book, I enjoyed reading the subtle hints of what is to be revealed later.

In the end I feel this was closer to 3.5 stars, bu
Ann
Sep 20, 2010 Ann added it
So the story is that I loved these books in high school (I had to check the copyright dates to assert that, yes, it was indeed high school that I read these - I hadn't really abandoned all teen lit for the sci-fi section and homoerotic bildungsromans) and found volumes 2-5 for a quarter apiece at the Brown Elephant, the A-ville thrift store. They are as adventure packed as I remembered, although ridiculously implausible and filled with deus ex machina. Even more filled with religious undertones ...more
junajuna
Jun 11, 2016 junajuna rated it liked it
I think I like this book the best so far? I felt done with the series at the end of book 3, but I think the ending of Phantom was conclusive enough to be satisfying while still setting up a lot of interesting potential storylines for the next books. I feel like Pike intended The Last Vampire to be a stand alone and was sort of lost in terms of an overarching plot until this book. I have a reason to continue reading again.
Jessica
Considerably more chaotic than the previous books, and not necessarily in a good way. At times it feels that the author was rushed by a deadline and strapped into a publishing deal for six books when he had material for less than that. I remember basically nothing from the fifth and sixth in the series, but I hope they pick back up.
Bmquiram
May 06, 2011 Bmquiram rated it really liked it
Phantom by Christopher Pike is as intriguing as all the other books in the series.
I could not put the book down. I however would have to say this book has a huge cliff hanger. If I had to wait for the next book in the series to be published I would be irritated.
Great read for anyone who loves vampire stories?

Chapter 35
Apr 06, 2014 Chapter 35 rated it liked it
I'm not convinced with this story tbh, the introduction of Sitas daughter... A hybrid vampire/human.... and the hell that she starts to bring on the earth and Sita... full review to follow
least there is only 2 more books....
I almost lost hope for the series, like Seymore, when Sita was turned human
Wendy
Feb 11, 2016 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Possible first reading = approximately 1996.
Second reading = one 24 hour period on Jan 4/5, 2013. I don't remember the storyline of this one... but I'm reading the same paperback I've owned for 20+ years. I have a feeling I never finished this series...
I really liked this one, the "having a child" aspect of it. On to the next one...
Jojo A
Jan 27, 2011 Jojo A rated it it was amazing
I love Christohper's imagination and I adore his style in writing. Amazed by the driven atmosophere laying in each page of his books. Phantom was another book got me hook with it's mysterious story of this vampire sassy woman who get's the world knocked down at her feet!

Worth reading, it's thrilling, sassy & dark.
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 Sakura Koneko rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes vampires
Shelves: favorites
The series takes an odd turn as the main character finds herself mortal and pregnant.

This book is also the beginning of an extremely odd storyline involving a mother's love for her child and many other things not really touched on in this series before.
Drucilla
Jan 04, 2012 Drucilla rated it it was ok
Shelves: p
I feel like this is when the series jumped the shark. There are just a lot of really big things that happen in this book and because there are so many, it makes it frustrating. It comes to a point when you're like "What now?"
Daniel
Jul 21, 2010 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Daniel by: Stefanie
this one was the best in line with the first one.
she was weak, she has some interesting mind-problems and there is a extremly dangerous new enemy.
and why the heck does she always pick up the worst people... who always wanna rape and kill her...
Belinda
Jan 17, 2013 Belinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Kimberly
Jan 31, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 9th-grade-books
I really like this book because it has a lot of action. It also is very interesting throughout the whole book.
  • Spellbinder (Night World, #3)
  • Memory: Stadt der Träume
  • The Dead Lifeguard (Fear Street Super Chiller, #6)
  • The Convent
  • In My Father's Den
  • By Any Other Name
  • He's After Me
  • The Right Song
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...

The Last Vampire (6 books)
  • The Last Vampire (The Last Vampire #1)
  • Black Blood (The Last Vampire #2)
  • The Red Dice (The Last Vampire #3)
  • Evil Thirst (The Last Vampire #5)
  • Creatures of Forever (The Last Vampire #6)

“Krishna was once asked what was the most miraculous thing in all creation, and he replied, "That a man should wake each morning and believe deep in his heart that he will live forever, even though he knows that he is doomed.” 150 likes
“You will see that the things you desire most are the very things that bring you the greatest sorrow.” 67 likes