Start by marking “Irresistible (Buchanans, #2)” as Want to Read:
Irresistible (Buchanans, #2)

Irresistible (Buchanans #2)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  5,881 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews

When ex-Marine Walker Buchanan stops to help Elissa Towers change a tire, he tells himself it's just the neighborly thing to do. And when Elissa finds herself baking him a thank-you pie, she's just returning the favor...right?
Both of them have sworn off dating--Elissa's determined to protect her little girl, and that means ditching her taste for dangerous men...especially
Published February 1st 2010 by Harlequin Books (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Irresistible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irresistible

I really liked Walker and Elissa. His honesty with her about his past and why he thought he was unworthy of her attention was heart wrenching. A troubled hero that learns that is worthy of a woman...gets me every time!

Elissa was a strong and very likeable heroine. She never let her bad decisions early in her live define who she was.

Mallery still gives us snippets of the other members of the Buchanan clan.
Lisa Kay
What is a Contemporary Romance doing on my Favorite’s shelf when it is mostly filled with Historicals? One word: Walker. I fell in love with this strong, quiet Marine. Susan Mallery wrote him to perfection: a lone wolf searching with tenacity for meaning in a cruel world. His backstory broke my heart, yet was not too melodramatic – and a probable response for a 17 - 18 year-old guy. The whole book was very down to earth and realistic, especially the dialogues. Elissa was a believable character m ...more
Um, it's a tough one. I liked it but it just one of those "been there, read that" kind of stories. Maybe it's because I haven't been in the mood for contemporary romance for the past few weeks. I'm sure 2 months ago I'd probably give this one star higher than what I did rate it. On the plus side this was sooo much better than the last book.

A couple of negatives...I did not like the blame game with Elissa and her mother. It got old fast. Dani was yet again getting pushed to the curb. I feel so ba
Apr 28, 2010 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This is the second story in the Buchanan family. Absolutely better than the first book. I think the series is progressing nicely. The chemistry between Walker and Elissa was gradual and I felt the sexual tension.
Elissa is a single mother who doesn’t need the distraction of her sexy neighbor Walker Buchanan. Having the tendency to pick up the wrong men, she shies away from him but luck won’t have it that way. After Walker helps her out with a flat tire (even pays for the tire) she sets out to pa
Jul 16, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a good, solid contemporary romance. There is nothing new or experimental, but that's not a critiscm. All the typical elements were done well. This was like a hamburger-- familiar and nothing new, but when done well, hard to put done.
Lady Allison
This is the second book in the Buchanan series & I picked it up last night since I couldn't fall asleep & finished it in 3.5 hours.

Walker Buchanan is the quietest and most reserved of the Buchanan sibs. He came home to find...something. In his search for that something he does his best to hide from the world, but the world will not have it. Enter neighbor Elissa. Elissa gets his no relationship/no connections rule because she doesn't have the purest past herself. However, no matter how
Mar 02, 2011 willaful rated it really liked it
Shelves: made-me-cry
3.5 stars. I found this low-key story about an emotionally closed-off former Marine and a struggling single mom a solid read, but more interesting than romantic or exciting. The theme of mistakes and forgiveness is strong, and the ending was poignant.
3.5 Stars

Walker's sister got on my nerves....Appreciate she gone through a lot of heartbreak but in my opinion she came across as a teenager. The grandmother is a wicked old witch and I wasn't sorry that she collapsed and was kinda hoping Walker was unable to revive her!
Brittney Musick
As much as I loved Delicious, the first book in the Buchanans series, I have to say that I might have loved Irresistible even more. Very rarely will I hide myself away and read a book in a single sitting, but this was one of those rare cases where I could not walk away until I was finished, and I adored every minute of it.

I got a small peek at Walker Buchanan in Delicious, and I was certainly curious about him, so I was very happy to see he was the focus of this book. While he had a very heavy h
Jul 09, 2011 Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, audio-book, romance
I will say that from the start I knew just what was going to happen with this one. Although there were a couple of surprises, Dani and her story along with Bobby's actions years ago.

Even though I knew what was going to happen it didn't bother me as I really liked Elissa and Zoe. I liked that Elissa wasn't "all woe is me, my life sucks, feel sorry for me", she did the best she could to provide a good home for them both. Mrs. Ford was another surprising person, for a lady who was over 90 I think s
Heather in FL
How can Gloria be such a heartless person? And who is she to determine who is good enough for her grandsons? It amazes me what good people the Buchanans grew into considering she was the one to raise them. Walker was such a good guy -- it's a good thing he could care less what his grandmother thinks. And Elissa was such a strong, independent woman. I liked that their relationship grew in baby steps, and that Walker was willing to stay at arm's length if that's what Elissa wanted. I thought it wa ...more
May 10, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: susan-mallery
Jac (For Love and Books)
I swear, I could be president of the Susan Mallery Fan Club! I adore her books. I love them even more when they are series books (like Irresistible *wink*) because I think she does such a great job of keeping up with previous characters, while not spending too much time on their stories.

I have to say, I have not read the Buchanan books in order. I started with #3 (Reid and Lori, Sizzling) then read #1 (Penny and Cal, Delicious). But I have been looking forward to Walkers story because I think h
The book started out well then disintegrated into a bunch of unbelievable and overly melodramatic story lines. Too many of the characters were caricatures, from Gloria the grandmother to Gloria's new private duty nurse (a thoroughly unpleasant woman who I suppose will be the love interest for Reid-- Yuck!), to Neal, the slimy ex-boyfriend. Children are difficult to get right on paper or on screen, and Mallery doesn't succeed in creating a believable 5 year old in Zoe.

There was too much going on
Susan (susayq ~)
Susan Mallery writes the best family dynamics in her stories. And this was no exception. The Buchanan family is great. They tease, they get together, they care about each other and they all hate their grandmother, Gloria.

This was Walker's story. He was a beautifully broken hero who thought he didn't have anything to give to a woman cause of something he did when he was young. But Walker was so caring and careful, and he didn't even realize it.

Elissa was a great heroine. She was strong and inde
Dec 14, 2011 Mareli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one! I slightly liked more than the first one. It's because the wonderful child. :)

Besides, I found the antagonist (hope it's the right word!) relationship between heroine and her mother very realistic. Both women had to adjust after years of painful absence and it was really well written.

Those sweet stories left me a wonderful sense of Christmas!

On the 3rd one!
Dec 25, 2011 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought the first book I would ever recommend of Susan Mallery's would be the first in the Fool's Gold series (and all of them after that) but after reading this book I changed my mind. This is the 2nd in the Buchanan series however I really do feel that it can stand alone... Yes it will make you want to read the 1st book but you won't miss anything by starting with this book.

We met Walker is book #1 "Delicious" when we learned he had left the Marines and need to find the girl of one of his f
JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko
What a great audio book. I really enjoyed this one and will be listening to the next in the series.
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Sep 23, 2012 t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Light Romance with a bit of suspense
Recommended to t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ by: My Bestie Bookie
A fun light romance easy to read, with a great family dynamic all pure Susan Mallery!

It wasn' t just her homemade brownies that made Walker find Elissa irresistible...

I liked it, but I didn't love it... but I did really really like the ending! (:
Not sure how to organize thoughts at moment, may write more in-depth review in future.
Telma Duarte
Jul 12, 2013 Telma Duarte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Determinada, independente e com o coração tão duro como uma nuvem de algodão”. É desta forma que Walker Buchanan vê Elissa, uma mulher marcada pelas opções que fez no passado, mas que tem a seu lado uma filha de 5 anos que todos os dias lhe dá motivos para encarar o futuro. A partir de uma relação de boa vizinhança, Wlaker começa lenta e gradualmente a desenvolver sentimentos pela sua altruísta vizinha.
Ex militar e elemento de uma numerosa família à qual não falta uma avó malvada, Walker, refug
Jul 25, 2013 Lani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Buchanan family & all their soap opera lives mixed with Disney perfection. I can't wait to see how "Cruella" (aka controlling bitch from hell grandma Gloria) transforms after her health issues. I can't see how she can be redeemed at this point.
Sep 13, 2015 Sabine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Der zweite Band der Buchanan-Reihe setzt nur knapp 3 Monate nach dem ersten Band ein und dieses Mal geht es um Walker Buchanan, der erst vor kurzem aus Afghanistan zurückgekehrt ist, wo er als Marine stationiert war.

Walker ist eher ein verschlossener Mann und scheint mit den Geistern der Vergangenheit zu kämpfen. Eigentlich wollte er bis zur Pensionierung bei den Marines bleiben, doch dann ist etwas passiert, was ihn dazu bewogen hat den Dienst zu quittieren und früher heimzukehren. Ein junger S
May 22, 2014 Whitney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
I had not read the first book, but I didn't feel lost at all. The series focuses on the Buchanan family: three brothers, one sister, and a tyrant of a grandmother. I do want to go back and read the first book in this Buchanan's series, the story of Cal and Penny. I figured this would be a good book, but just a lighthearted, sexy breeze read. It was that, but it actually had some depth to it as well. Elissa has had a rough time but she's powered through all the struggles that have come her way, a ...more
Two-haiku review:

Single mom problems
Ex-marine next door helps her
How can she resist?

Real emotional
They both must overcome past
Together they can
3 1/2 Stars

Irresistible was an entertaining and light read with a slow building friends-to-loves theme. The plot, characterizations, and writing were strong and well constructed. I only wish the plot was a bit more romance centered. Other than that, I enjoyed this book.

Note: The audio narrator for this book changed and the new narrator DID NOT WORK! She had a smokers voice and sounded too mature for the upbeat tone of this story and the series. I hate when publishers or authors change good narr
Zel Polev
Feb 06, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This review was originally posted to Jen in Bookland

Irresistible was a good read. I have been reading the authors Lone Star Sisters series and loving it so I was hoping for something just as good. I wanted the fun storyline and characters I can't help but love. It was a good read, but something was missing to make it a great read. I enjoyed it, I liked everyone, it was just missing that extra oomph to make it amazing.

Elissa is a single mom who has not have the best of luck with men. She always
The first book in Buchanans series I read 4 years ago and forgot to add the sequel to my TBR. But as I looked to find #2 book in series that has food on the cover (combining tasks for two challenges) I stumbled into it and thought - why not.

Irresistible was nicely written and easy to read. Although the MCs went trough some tough times, don't expect that there will be tear-jerking scenes. Only warm and fuzzy feeling as everything falls in place and HEA conquers all.

Side characters are the selling
  • Just One Taste (Recipe for Love #3)
  • Hot Item (Hot Zone, #3)
  • Instant Temptation (Wilder, #3)
  • The Night She Got Lucky (Dog Walkers, #2)
  • Hot & Bothered (Marine, #3)
  • Lead Me On (Tumble Creek, #3)
  • Along Came Trouble (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #3)
  • Summer Brides (includes Fool's Gold, #2.5)
  • Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5)
  • Say No To Joe? (Visitation, North Carolina, #1)
With more than 25 million books sold worldwide, #1 New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery is known for creating characters who feel as real as the folks next door, and for putting them into emotional, often funny situations readers recognize from their own lives. Susan’s books have made Booklist’s Top 10 Romances list in four out of five consecutive years. RT Book Reviews says, “When it c ...more
More about Susan Mallery...

Buchanans (5 books)
  • Delicious (Buchanans, #1)
  • Sizzling (Buchanans, #3)
  • Tempting (Buchanans, #4)
  • Susan Mallery Bundle: Delicious / Irresistible / Sizzling

“How lovely." The old lady sighed. "An office romance. I always wanted an office romance. Of course I never really had a job, which made the situation more challenging. Oh, I worked on an assembly line during World War II, but there weren't very many men around and as my husband was off serving his country, an office romance would have been unpatriotic, don't you think?--Mrs. Ford” 8 likes
“That was the thing I hated, that I’d made such a lousy choice. But I didn’t. You set out to convince me you were exactly what I was looking for. I had no reason to mistrust you. You lied, I didn’t.” 2 likes