Start by marking “The Obsidian Dagger (Horatio Lyle, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Obsidian Dagger (Horatio Lyle, #2)

The Obsidian Dagger (Horatio Lyle #2)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  262 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
There seems to be some odd things going on in the city of London lately. Take the murders, for instance; quite peculiar. And those missing statues. What's going on there? And shouldn't St. Paul’s Churchhave a roof? Odd. Horatio Lyle, of course, is no stranger to . . . well, strangeness.In fact, he finds the lure of the unknown quite invigorating. But having just survived t ...more
Published September 7th 2006 by Little, Brown Book Group

To ask other readers questions about The Obsidian Dagger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Obsidian Dagger

Marianne
Jun 17, 2014 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Obsidian Dagger is the second book in the Horatio Lyle series by British author, Catherine Webb. As Horatio, Thomas, Tess and Tate work on their pressure-differential-velocity aeronautic device, their research is interrupted by Lord Lincoln, who insists that Her Majesty once again requires Lyle’s input into an important case. A ship’s captain and one of Lincoln’s agents have been murdered on board ship. As always, Lyle is given little to go on, but he certainly garners more information from ...more
Bart
Oct 04, 2011 Bart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thing I find most difficult about these books is the same thing I love about them. They've such a unique style that sometimes it feels like I'm skimming the surface, rather than sinking in to the plot, but then this skimming the surface... brushing the edges of the conversations... is exactly the same thing that draws me in...

But one thing they always are, is fun (especially the relationships between the three main characters, which is the source of much of the humour!), exciting with fanta
Eustacia Tan
Oct 09, 2014 Eustacia Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back when I was still in MG, I came across the Horatio Lyle series. I've forgotten what they were about now, but I remember really enjoying them. So, when I went to the library, I hunted down the series - they only had one available, and sadly, it's not the first book. But, I still enjoyed reading it.

The Obsidian Dagger is a murder mystery. Two men are discovered dead in a boat. A series of murders follows. Horatio Lyle would like to stay out of this, but Lord Lincoln is basically twisting his a
Anna Bergmark
Apr 19, 2016 Anna Bergmark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy, am I glad I found this series! Just goes to show - you shouldn't judge the book by it's cover. Simple as it is, crude and right darned ugly, on the inside lies a hidden pearl.

It's so well written, even by adult standards. And all the rest you need is there too; humour, suspense and 4 strong and likable characters. Even Tate the longeared mutt is someone you gladly embrace (especially Tate the longeared mutt) and whether or not you're partial to the more outlandish elements of the plot...

It
Anna Belsham
Aug 12, 2015 Anna Belsham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2nd in the Horatio Lyle series where he is asked to investigate the mysterious deaths of a captain who brought an equally mysterious cargo from an island in Italy. Statues come to life, scratches are found on the inside of a sealed lead coffin and things are not quite as scientific as Horatio would like.
Amy
Jun 14, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this alternate history / fantasy / young adult series, and Horatio Lyle is now one of my new favourites. Lyle, a Darwin-era inventor, thinker, scientist and sometimes special constable, is called on by Her Majesty's agents to solve some mysterious goings on involving strange people with green eyes, magnets, machines and assorted other odd happenings.

I found the first few chapters awkward in their wording (especially the dialogue between Tess and Horatio), but after this Webb hits
Teddi
Jun 15, 2016 Teddi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I simply couldn't finish it.
The story line is interesting and I like the quirky characters but there is so much I dislike.
This is the second book and I still have no idea how old either Tess or Thomas are. There are long descriptive sections that really just take up space - the whole first chapter is basically just description essentially about snow! And then there are things repeated - just how many times did I read that someone's voice is marble or maple syrup or a purring tiger? And just what
Alarra
Oct 10, 2008 Alarra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This suffers from the same problem as the first Horatio Lyle book – Catherine Webb wants to be Terry Pratchett (of the earlier Discworld books). She is, however, not that funny nor insightful. All the characters are one-dimensional – Teresa is never more than the scrappy ingenious urchin, Lyle is Sherlock Holmes and Sam Vines rolled into one, and Thomas is the indiscriminately aged (he could be anything between 8 and 18, according to the schizophrenic characterisation) toff who seems uselessly n ...more
Vendela
Mar 15, 2015 Vendela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Webb, AKA Kate Griffin, AKA Claire North, is an extraordinary writer.
Sharakael
Oct 02, 2010 Sharakael rated it really liked it
Reading this right after "Madness of Angels" was a rather weird experience. The atmosphere, the setting, the overall feel... was just like "Madness of Angels", albeit one that is lighter and less gloomy.

It is a good read for a younger audience, and was very well written. The characters were entertaining, the mystery was intriguing and the action sequence was well written. The plot itself was set up nicely to lead into the next book.

Unfortunately, I prefer the grittier reality of Matthew Swift co
Sue Smith
Nov 13, 2010 Sue Smith rated it really liked it
The extraordinary adventures of Horatio Lyle indeed!!! What a crazy story! Tons of action and a great mystery plot as well, all along the early Sherlock Holmes. Science and mystics all wrapped up in one. I enjoyed the characters, but did wish I had started with the first of the series. I think it would have filled in the details more and there were alot of hints of what had happened in the past without too much explanation in this story. But it's a great adventure none the less! Definitely worth ...more
Kimikimi
Jan 28, 2012 Kimikimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still more CSI type regency fun. This time I felt like I was missing more of the plot from not being born in London. I do find the little moments where the characters meet real people from that time (this book has six year old Arther Conen Doyle) just a tad annoying, especially when I don't always recognize what's going one at first. I still think it's exceptionally well written for a YA book, not the plot (which is also good) but the style of putting words on paper. I'm definatly going to buy t ...more
Wendy Palmer
A perfectly decent book, just not to my tastes. I liked the main character, Horatio Lyle, and his two sidekicks, but overall the ponderous style -- trying-too-hard descriptions straying from setting the scene to showing off research, trying-too-hard humour as exemplified by the scene where Thomas meets young Arthur [Conan Doyle:] -- and emphasis on action over character (the villains are particularly poorly developed) did not do it for me.
Tyas
Aug 20, 2008 Tyas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horatio Lyle and his young friends are back!

The story is interesting and magical, although a bit tiring nearing the end, and the ending is a bit too flat.

You may count how many wounds Lyle get in the book - that could be a fascinating pastime that gives you a strange pleasure.
Alex
May 02, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I found out Webb was writing these books as a series, I had to have the others. This one has all the characterisation and humour of the original but feels somewhat darker, partly due to the creepy nature of the antagonist.
Jazlyn
Aug 08, 2009 Jazlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
The Obsidian Dagger is a well-written story. And as with all other Horatio Lyle books, it never fails to deliver the trademark humour of Horatio and his two helpers from very different backgrounds.
adeline
I love the prose, and Horatio is cool.. But the ending was unexpectedly flat and that's why I only give it 3 stars instead of 4.
Cynthianatalia
Dec 26, 2011 Cynthianatalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing bad I can say about this book. It's the epitome of writing perfection.
Naomi
Mar 24, 2011 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of the Horatio Lyle books, but still liked it.
Katie Watson
Sep 29, 2013 Katie Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the characters. The plot is too faced-paced for me.
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Mallory Daniels
Mallory Daniels marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Ruthie
Ruthie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Cleo
Cleo rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Seizure Romero
Seizure Romero rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Sam
Sam added it
May 31, 2016
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
  • Devoured
  • Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Putrid Poison
  • Rose and the Silver Ghost (Rose, #4)
  • The Thirteenth (The Thirteenth, #1)
  • Kitty Peck and the Music Hall Murders (Kitty Peck #1)
  • War Girls
  • Witchfall (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • The Glass God (Magicals Anonymous, #2)
  • The Mourning Emporium (The Undrowned Child, #2)
  • A Wind in Cairo
  • Snake Bite (Young Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Whispering Mountain (The Wolves Chronicles, #0)
  • Darkhenge
  • Sammy Keyes and the Night of Skulls (Sammy Keyes, #14)
  • Dark Passage (Dark Mirror, #2)
  • Cry of the Cat (Raven Hill Mysteries, #4)
  • Veronica at the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #2)
  • Deathscent (Intrigues of the Reflected Realm, #1)
An English science fiction author, she is best known for her Carnegie Medal-nominated books, Timekeepers (2005) and The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle (2006). She wrote her first novel, Mirror Dreams, when she was only fourteen years old.
She began writing mostly in the young adult genre and has since begun authoring books for adults. Also a performing arts enthusiast, she gra
More about Catherine Webb...

Horatio Lyle (4 books)
  • The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #1)
  • The Doomsday Machine: A Further Astonishing Adventure of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #3)
  • The Dream Thief: An Extraordinary Horatio Lyle Mystery