Start by marking “Love Means... No Shame (Farm, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love Means... No Shame (Farm, #1)

Love Means... No Shame (Farm #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,854 ratings  ·  188 reviews
Geoff is in the city, living the gay life to the hilt, when his father's death convinces him to return to the family farm. Discovering a young Amish man asleep in his barn, Geoff learns that Eli is spending a year away from the community before accepting baptism into the church. Despite their mutual attraction, Geoff is determined not to become involved with him, but Eli h ...more
Published September 14th 2009 by Dreamspinner Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Love Means... No Shame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Means... No Shame

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxPromises by Marie SextonAll Play and No Work by Carol LynneChase in Shadow by Amy LaneTurning 16 by Perie Wolford
Best M/M Series
9th out of 86 books — 28 voters
Caught Running by Madeleine UrbanPromises by Marie SextonTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsMuscling Through by J.L. Merrow
Favorite M/M Romance Fiction Comfort Reads
231st out of 435 books — 306 voters

More lists with this book...

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
This book started out bad. The MC (I already forgot his name) is an Uber Slut (I think that means like extremely promiscuous, whorey, tramp, skank, no standards his man-hole is so loose it’s like throwing a hotdog down a hallway) and to top that off he is an Uber Drunk Driving Slut or UDDS for short (please note MC will now be called UDDS from now on in this review). It starts off with UDDS waking up with a stranger after drinking too much and driving to stranger’s house where he had sex, probab ...more
Erotic Horizon
4.75 Stars

Geoff is living the life of a young man with few responsibility and full of hormones - and with all the tail he can get in the city, he’s living the life of riley.

The bubble burst on Geoff life of burning the candle at both ends when his dad dies. Coming home to the ranch is alot of things now for Geoff – but most importantly it’s the fact that his dad is no longer there – that is, one of his dad’s. He has two and with a few carefully placed words and some home truth he soon agrees to
Wade
I think this is a wonderful book. I love the message. I love the characters. And I love Andrew's style of writing. I read it a few years ago and since then several more times. I own it in paperback. I think Eli's character is my favorite. I loved his tenderness.

I think everyone who deals with predudice and fear should read this book. I think Andrew spells out LOVE in a poignant way. It was a book that meant a lot to me the first time I read it. The theme of "no shame" stupid out in a personal w
A.K.M. Miles
I loved this book and the whole time I was reading it, I was patting myself on the back for buying 3 others of his at the same time. Really good book, y'all. Really.
karlakolumna
2 stars, at best.

Story and its message are nice/OK --> "Love conquers it all!" plus "Noone needs to feel ashamed about loving and caring for another human being."
That is, of course, very true and one can just hope, that all these ignorant and intolerant people out there will figure this out rather sooner than later.

But all in all: Nothing new here, the book and the story were just OK, but what bothered me (besides from this story not being very original, new and inventive) was that the writin
Kassa
Parts of this book are interesting with a deep emotional connection but unfortunately the very uneven pacing drags the action and length of the book out. Also most of the conflict is resolved and told off page so the reader is unable to experience some of the problems and emotions as the characters do. Mostly this is a sweet, easy romance that throws a little texture in by way of bigoted attitudes but really those attitudes impact very little in the main relationship. The writing is average with ...more
Lily Pilly
Geoff and Elijah's story was simply beautiful. This story was about a man who just lost his father , his other father who is left behind grieving and a young Amish male who is spending his year out of his community (can't spell the proper word so I won't offend anyone with my bad spelling).
Andrew Grey wrote this story with great sensitivity and thoughtfulness filled with warmth, gentleness, and elegance. I felt deeply sad and tearful when Geoff was beaten... I felt tearful when Elijah felt he h
Dreamer
For all those who've not seen Weird Al's 'Amish Paradise' - enjoy!

3.5 stars here. A somewhat bland but likeable m/m romance. Geoff leaves Chicago to return to the family farm upon the death of his (gay) father. He falls for Elijah, a 20 year old Amish boy who is spending a year away from his community.

'If he were honest with himself, he really did like Eli... a lot. The way he looked in the saddle, the way he smiled, the way those eyes danced when he was h
Jenre
This is a review where I get to eat my words! I've read several Andrew Grey books and stories in the past and had pretty much come to conclusion that whilst I appreciate that he's a well loved author with a large, loyal fan base, his writing just doesn't appeal to me and I wasn't going to read his books any more. Then someone suggested that I read Love Means...No Shame, and so I decided to give the author one more chance. I'm glad I did because I really liked this book.

The story begins with our
Lily
This is a well written story that is populated with characters you can't help but fall in love with and just like in real life with a couple you'd be thankful not to know. It's an emotional story that grabbed my attention right away and kept me interested all the way to the end. The main protagonists at first appear to be an unlikely match but as the story progresses the development of their relationship shows that indeed they are well suited to each other.

At the start of the book Geoff is happy
Indie Reviews
Love Means ... No Shame by Andrew Grey is a touching story of loss and love, family and belonging. It is very well written with strong characters and fluid narration that pulls the reader completely in from the start.

The central focus of the story is the relationship between Geoff and Eli who come from two very different worlds and cultures. Grey takes his time in growing their relationship by exploring many of their differences in a thoughtful and respectful manner. As Geoff gets to know Eli he

Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This story was cute and sweet and touching. Geoff and Eli couldn't be more different at the beginning of the story, because Geoff comes back from Chicago to the farm he inherited from his father. In Chicago he was cruising bars for sex and working as an accountant. Eli is Amish and he is spending the traditional time away from his community to see the world of the English.

What they have in common is their caring attitude. Geoff is much more experienced, but Eli's enthusiasm makes up for his lack
Tami (synchro from BL)
Bev
I have enjoyed some of Andrew Grey's other books (The Good Fight was very interesting in view of it's subject matter), but I'm afraid that this book was just a step too far. The previous story in the series (Love means...Courage) was a decent read, but this book, well let's just say that I feel calling your loved one 'Stallion' and 'Tiger' is a little bit far-fetched, and put me off reading any further - I returned the book I'm afraid.
Deeze
A lovely sweet love story with some very well written emotional parts. Tissues were certainly needed at times lol.

I'm looking forward to re reading the next book and seeing Geoff as a little boy again lol.

My one niggle was Frank and the way he believed the lies without hesitation but then back tracked imediately. That scene just never flowed as smoothly as the rest.

luv2reed
wow, I'm must be in the minority because I had to dnf this book, which I rarely do. The writing was so stilted and boring I just couldn't get into it. Interesting premise but I guess this author's writing style just doesn't do it for me.
Rick Fisher
I am torn between calling this story poorly written or poorly edited. So, I think I will go with both. The entire book seems to be missing so much. There is little to no real descriptive narratives. There are no segues between scenes. There is very little continuity to the outline. And, there is zero ingenuity. This one seemed like it was thrown together, haphazardly, without a lot of thought or reworking. It almost comes across like a rough draft.
I hate giving reviews like this. I don't want
Crys Harris
I thought this book was rather boring and the character pretty flat. I just read the book a couple of days ago and I can't remember the name of the main character.
David Sullivan
Alex
Overall
I think this is my favorite of the series, and conveniently the first (although I read it second). Order isn't vital to the stories, unless you want to be surprised by happy endings. So Geoff comes home after the death of his father and decides to stay and take over the family farm. Shortly after his arrival, Eli appears, 100% Amish and straight from the community. He's taking a year break to "diminish his rebel spirit."

Geoff and Eli have a very nice dynamic and are both sweet as sugar. T
Jaime
I’ve read a lot of gay cowboy romances, but this one stands out for being more, well, romantic! Usually, it’s lust at first sight, hot sex and finally the requisite “I love you” (whether believable or not). This book surprised me by going nearly halfway through before the characters become lovers. It was actually refreshing.

Geoff returns to his family farm after his father dies and realizes this is where he always wanted to be. So, he sets about taking over the business. One day, he finds a man
Andreea Daia
This series was recommended to me so wholehearted that I went out and bought the first 5 novels (all of them at the time) without wondering whether I should try one before buying them all. What a mistake! Love Means... No Shame is bad, so bad that 2 stars is just my way of showing the holiday spirit. The writing is altogether horrid, at par with the first books from the Sookie Stackhouse Series. But while Ms. Harris's creativity was making up for her lack of style, Mr. Grey fashions a world that ...more
♥Robin ♥
Mar 21, 2013 ♥Robin ♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥Robin ♥ by: Elishia
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book especially being a "newbie" to this genre. I was not expecting to find such an intriguing,beautifully written love story with such loving,well developed,likeable characters.

Andrew Grey has a way of drawing the reader in,pulling on the heart strings while tap dancing on the emotions of one's soul. He does a fantastic job of delivering a great story while teaching some very important life lessons about learning to love yourself, as well as those who lo
Shelby P
The first 50% of the book had promise and I was steadily reading along. Then after Geoff and Eli hooked up, the book went downhill and fast. I got bored. Not sure how old Geoff is but I didn't like that he was able to solve everyone's problems so easily. The sex was not hot at all. And I hope that's not really how the Amish treat their people when they take a break/sabbatical. How the hell was Eli expected to thrive in the English world with no money or place to live???

It would have been nice if
Icyspark
This book made me feel all of the emotions. There were a few moments I had tears running down my face.
Nichole (Dirty H)
"Hmm... I'm sick of sleeping around and that guy looks cute, so I think I'll just check and see if he's gay, and then we'll live happily ever after."
Too simple, too easy. Boring.
Phaney
2012 Review:

So! I decided to re-read the first three of this series before I continue. This was number one.

I mostly stand by what I wrote about it the last time. It’s a nice story, a little slow at times, and a little sad too, although this time I managed to avoid crying, but mostly because I was prepared and did not read those bits too slowly. Loss through death is always a big issue for me.

In fact, I am still skipping the prequel entirely because of that reason, although I think later in the s
Natalia
I don't know what it is about this entire series, but I read the entire thing after reading this one. In my opinion this is the best book of the series and all the others more-or-less copy the same formula. I love the premise of an safe haven for gays on Geoff's farm, I absolutely adore Eli's contradictory personality (he has tremendous depth, perhaps the most of any character), and I liked the tension throughout the story.

Geoff, the son of a gay couple (his mother died when he was young), has t
Tracy
This is a sweet love story that manages to avoid being sappy. It's, I think, a "journey" story, in that both the main characters, Geoff and Eli, are on a journey toward a partnership, and away from...not childhood, exactly, although Eli is in some ways very childlike in his innocence. Eli is Amish, and on rumspringa (a traditional time of seeing the outside world, before committing to the Amish community and way of life.) The Amish are not very open or accepting of, well, anything different and ...more
Leenchen
Kurzbeschreibung

Als Geoff die väterliche Farm nach dessen Tod übernimmt, liegt seine Zukunft scheinbar klar vor ihm: ruhig, beständig und langweilig. Doch spätestens als er unverhofft auf Eli trifft, ist es aus mit der Ruhe, denn dieser ist Mitglied der Amish-Gemeinschaft, deren Welt nach ganz anderen Regeln spielt. Regeln, die die wachsende Zuneigung zwischen Geoff und Eli nicht dulden...

Inhalt:

Geoff lebt in einer amerikanischen Großstadt sein Leben als schwuler, gutaussehender Mann. Nur selten
  • No Going Home (Home, #1)
  • Touch Me Gently
  • Good to Know (Good to Know, #1)
  • The Broken H (Ranch Series, #2)
  • A Realistic Romance
  • The Heart of Texas (Texas, #1)
  • The Broken Road
  • Morning Report (Morning Report, #1)
  • Left of Centre
  • Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1)
  • Shying Away (Shying Away #1)
  • Long Tall Drink
  • Earth and Sky (Clouds and Rain #2)
  • Physical Therapy (St. Nacho's #2)
  • Falling (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #2)
  • Inherit the Sky (Lang Downs, #1)

m/m romance author
More about Andrew Grey...
Love Comes Silently (Senses, #1) A Shared Range (Range, #1) Love Means... Courage (Farm, #0.5) Love Means... No Boundaries (Farm, #2) A Taste of Love (Of Love, #1)

“You always say that I’m beautiful. Will you still love me when I’m old?"
Geoff’s hand made small circles on his stomach.
"Elijah." Geoff rarely called him that, and he turned his head to look into Geoff’s eyes. "I don’t love you because you’re beautiful. You’re beautiful because I love you.”
30 likes