De club van vermiste meisjes

De club van vermiste meisjes

2.67 of 5 stars 2.67  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  25 reviews
De levens van jeugdvrienden Owen, Isabel en Julia veranderen voorgoed op de dag dat Julia spoorloos verdwijnt. Owen en Isabel zijn totaal uit het lood geslagen en proberen allebei op hun eigen manier door te gaan met hun leven. Jaren later keert Isabel terug naar het dorp van haar jeugd om de begrafenis van Owen bij te wonen. Ze heeft hem niet meer gezien sinds ze samen de...more
Published January 9th 2008 by Cargo (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about De club van vermiste meisjes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De club van vermiste meisjes

Judy
Read the last chapters twice and still did not get it! Now, I am quite prepared to accept that the fault could be mine. I found it pretty convoluted and perhaps I've just missed it. The point is, however, that much of the story lacks substance and a lot of narrative is meaningless. There is just no call for describing the whole business of putting a kettle on to boil. Team that with a lass dressed rather nicely for a funeral, in her high heels and all, spending a whole day and taking up three qu...more
Mary Lou
Sometimes there is only a very thin line between mysterious and ethereal or simply irritating
Blair
After enjoying two other books by Susanna Jones - her debut The Earthquake Bird, and her most recent When Nights Were Cold, the latter being one of my favourites of 2012 - I was keen to read more by the author and bought a cheap copy of this, her third novel, on eBay. The Missing Person's Guide To Love (an unnecessarily twee title in my opinion) is about Isabel, a woman who returns to her home town for the funeral of her former friend Owen. Both Isabel and Owen left the town in dubious circumsta...more
Yvann S
Summary: Isabel returns to the moors of England for a schoolfriend’s funeral. The disappearance of her best friend aged 15 has never been resolved, but she has always suspected the dead man. Isabel now lives in Turkey with a husband and a toddler. Can she solve the decade-old mystery on a quick trip home?

This was a perfectly pleasant read until the ending at which the mystery was revealed… in a pretty pedestrian manner. It seems as though the author got to the end with all sorts of issues unreso...more
Alyson
This is a confusing book, and personally I found it irritating. I admit that I like my fiction to be relatively straight forward, I don't like having to work for my reading pleasure, and this book left so many problems, confusing questions and unresolved inaccuracies that it left me rather disappointed and frustrated.

Along with some rather large problems with the basis of the story (view spoiler)...more
Carol
What an absolute quirky little book! I wish I could recall where or where I picked this paperback up. I discovered it on my bookshelves when looking for a book to jam in my pocket for a recent vaation. The cover though not striking in itself, somehow drew me in. I loved the title and liked that it was about a missing girl, 15 year old Julia, who vanishes without a trace. Her childhood friend Isabel has never given up hope of finding out just what happened to Julia. Many years go by and Isabel re...more
Katherine
What I liked about this book was that it was British and it was a homecoming story. There's nothing like a funeral to pull people together. In this case, the funeral brings back memories of the mysterious disappearance of Julia Smith, the best friend of Owen (who's funeral is happening) and Isabel. Isabel has come back in from her new life in Turkey to dig around and try to find out what really happened to Julia. Intertwined with her Aunt Maggie's thoughts, the book moves along at a reasonable p...more
Sue Hopkins
The story was mildly enjoyable although quite dark in places.
Arlene
Firipa
What a confusing structure. The story keeps jumping in time, recent past, past and present with out any clear order, making the reading not so enjoyable. The story in itself was alright, but minus a few details, I could guess what it was coming and it didn't make much sense out of the book.
Overall it was an alright book, the best being the well developped characters, but unless you decide to read it by yourself, I wouldn't recommend it...
Nirmala
May 26, 2009 Nirmala rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nirmala by: Book club book
Once I finished the book it left me wondering what had just happened. Who was dead and who was alive and who was the narrator.

I found that the beginning was very promising and I am not so sure about the ending. But I think I may have to re-read this one, to a form any real opinion about this book.
Vivienne

I have to admit that on the initial reading I felt somewhat perplexed by the book but found that once I had given it a couple of days and then returned to reread a few key chapters that it fell into place.

A remarkable almost dream-like narrative.
sisterimapoet
This fell a bit flat for me. Perhaps I've read too many child disappearance stories that I'm getting picky. It felt muddled. As if it didn't quite know what it wanted to be. And the twist was a bit of a whimper rather than a whoop when it came.
Maria
It's a very unusual novel, and it is quite spooky to read, which I enjoyed. I think the ending was meant to be interpreted more deeply, but I thought it was odd & a bit of an anti-climax. I'd recommend it just for the strange reading experience.
Mew
Jan 14, 2010 Mew rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mew by: sisterimapoet
Shelves: 2010
A really lovely tale, interesting characters and storyline. The people seemed real and the situations were familiar. However, it was let down by the end which seemed flimsy and left me feeling perplexed.
Becky
There is a sinister undertone to this book; a feeling that nothing is quite as it seems. Although I found the book compelling, I didn't understand the ending, which made it an unsatisfying read.
Rebecca
Feb 24, 2010 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like books that make them cry
Recommended to Rebecca by: a friend
I remember being very moved by this book even though it is a few weeks ago that I read it.

It was a little unusual--not what I expected towards the end--but very well-written and emotional.
Hermien
I really liked The Earthquake Bird so was looking forward to this book. It was not unenjoyable, but I either didn't get the end, or if it was as I thought it was, I couldn't see the point.
Jesse Houwing
The start was great. There was a real moment of mystery in between and the end just seems missing. Couldn't put the book away and ended with the urge to throw it in the trash.
Natasha
Completely bizarre! I found the prose forced and there were so many holes in the plot it seemed like a cheese grater. Am I missing something?
Sue
Weird, well-written with an ending I never expected. Like 'Earthquake Bird' this book scares a little and thrills a lot.
Yvette
The suspense was building up nicely and I was really enjoying the book - until it came to a confusing and disappointing end.
Alison
Enjoyable - with a twist at the end that I did not see coming!!!!!
Lou
I got very confused towards the end.
Gypsiewriter
I knew and then I knew again.
Helen
Helen is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2014
Steph Ramos
Steph Ramos marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kellis
Kellis marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Louisa
Louisa marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
"Susanna Jones was born in Hull in 1967 and grew up in Hornsea in East Yorkshire. She studied drama at Royal Holloway, University of London and then spent several years abroad, including two years in Turkey and five years in Japan. She taught English in secondary schools, language schools, a steel corporation and worked as an assistant editor and presenter for NHK Radio.

In 1996 she studied for an...more
More about Susanna Jones...
The Earthquake Bird When Nights Were Cold Water Lily The Illustrated Brighton Moment