Start by marking “Classic Pin-Up Art of Jack Cole” as Want to Read:
Classic Pin-Up Art of Jack Cole

Classic Pin-Up Art of Jack Cole

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  3 reviews
In the rarefied realm of classic cartoon pin-up art, nobody did it
better than Jack Cole. With his quirky line drawings and sensual
watercolors, Cole, under Hugh Hefner's guiding hand, catapulted to
stardom in the 1950s as Playboy's marquee cartoonist, a
position he held until his untimely death at the age of 43.

Jack Cole has been justly celebrated as the creator of Plastic Ma
Published April 20th 2010 by Fantagraphics (first published July 17th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Classic Pin-Up Art of Jack Cole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classic Pin-Up Art of Jack Cole

Tabs
I was given this book as a gift and I can���t deny that my first thought was ���Pin-Ups? Uh, what the hell?!?��� But one of my best friends gave it to me because he thought it���d be funny and that I���d appreciate the art.

Hah. He was right. The drawings, most especially the ink wash ones, are absolutely gorgeous.

On the downside, while I found some of the cartoons and captions funny, most of them fell somewhere in the spectrum between ���silly��� and ���misogynistic and offensive��� with the maj
Tabs
Mar 18, 2011 Tabs rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art, owned
I was given this book as a gift and I can’t deny that my first thought was “Pin-Ups? Uh, what the hell?!?” But one of my best friends gave it to me because he thought it’d be funny and that I’d appreciate the art.

On the downside, while I found some of the cartoons and captions funny, most of them fell somewhere in the spectrum between “silly” and “misogynistic and offensive” with the majority landing at “
Paul
A pleasant look at a man whose work constantly amazes me. His woman have such a vitality, a zest for life, and Cole could capture (or insinuate) emotion with a few deft lines. A real talent when most artists draw for hours and never reach any character depth.

Book could have used some attribution as to where the cartoons were from, and I could have used a more in-depth look at Cole himself, but for an introductory look at the man and his cartoons, this book does a pretty good job.

And I still li
Carlos Cruz
Carlos Cruz marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Caleb Marshall
Caleb Marshall marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Suvi Ahonen
Suvi Ahonen marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Marisol
Marisol marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Kellie Dennis
Kellie Dennis marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2012
Man Solo
Man Solo marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
The Plastic Man Archives, Vol. 1 The Plastic Man Archives, Vol. 2 The Plastic Man Archives, Vol. 3 The Chilling Archives of Horror Comics, Vol. 3: Zombies The Plastic Man Archives, Vol. 4