Start by marking “Introducing Modernism: A Graphic Guide” as Want to Read:
Introducing Modernism: A Graphic Guide

Introducing Modernism: A Graphic Guide (Introducing Series)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Introducing books are graphic guides that brilliantly condense mankind's biggest ideas. Modernism is usually thought of as a shockwave of innovations hitting art, architecture, music, cinema and literature. But what really defines modernism? Why did it begin and how long did it last? Is modernism over now? Introducing Modernism is a brilliant exploration of the 20th ce...more
Published June 15th 2006 by Icon Books (first published April 23rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Modernism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Modernism

Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Before reviewing this book,I would like to take you to the place where I read this. It was a place with thousands of books and I read this sitting in a corner by the philosophy shelf(there were chairs but I felt this way better). And there were many old books,and many new. I like the smell of old books better than the new ones. And it feels good to touch those books,most of which we have to touch as if it's going to crumble at the slightest force. And whenever I go there,I feel like I could spen...more
Zohreh hooshangi
کتاب بیشتر برای منظم کردن ذهنتون درباره مدرنیسم و طبقه بندی دانسته ها مناسبه . در این کتاب با انبوهی از اسامی مواجه می شین که ممکنه مرتبا مجبور بشین تو گوگل سرچ کنین.
البته تمرکز کتاب بیشتر ادبیات و هنره و موضوعات دیگه کمتر پرداخته شده.
کمیک ها و نقل قول هاش جالب بودن و خوشم اومد.
Bookthesp1
More a mind map with pictures than a book- agree with someone else who commented that it became an exercise in name dropping. However, does what it says on the tin as an introduction and provides much food for later thought- in covering all the arts it struggles to be more than a surface glance at each. However, would like to have seen a more extensive bibliography and some enries could have been put in a glossary hence leaving more room for an expanded text- the pictures are good but captions a...more
Emylie
Oct 12, 2014 Emylie added it
Shelves: 2014-read, eav
I really like the Graphic Guides-they make complex subjects easier to digest.
Chin Jian xiong
Good starting point to get a general flow of modernism. You get a sense of what the era is about, although the book can be disjointed at times.

NEVER TOUCH INTRODUCTION TO POSTMODERNISM, unless you're the type that likes to read about all those horrible abstract theories by Foucault, Derrida, Lacan and other post structuralist nonsense. In fact the only truth you need to know about postmodernism is the belief that there are "no grand meta-narratives".
Christopher Mcquain
This is the kind of "-- for Dummies" book I should be embarrassed to have read, and it is rather silly and shallow in many ways. Still, it's a great little thumbnail source of information about a theme/movement/period I'm much interested in, so I found it useful--lots of brief, intriguing explanations of names/works to follow up on--and it's really only meant to be that. Inspired by my recent reading of Tom McCarthy's neo-modernist -C-.
Matthew
This book is a graphic documentary approach to Modernism. It provides a decent overview. On the other hand, it does not have much depth and often feels like it is just name-dropping rather than providing a summary of the subject. The book was worth reading as it did put some of the cultural history of Europe in context with the political history than is most often covered in popular histories.
Destiny
I started to skim towards the end. I liked it but the postmodernism one seemed to capture my attention more than this one did.
Mike
Very good introduction to modernist art. There's not much in here on philosophy or the modernist strain of thought, but that makes sense given that it's so broad a topic.
Joanna Menda
Joanna Menda marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Leena
Leena marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Eaphan
Eaphan marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Ananthu Rajagopal
Ananthu Rajagopal is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
محمد كلفت
محمد كلفت marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Ibrahim
Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Ross
Ross marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014