Start by marking “Introducing Modernism: A Graphic Guide” as Want to Read:
Introducing Modernism: A Graphic Guide

Introducing Modernism: A Graphic Guide

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Modernism is usually thought of as a shock wave of innovations hitting art, architecture, music, cinema and literature - the work of Picasso, Joyce, Schoenberg, movements like Futurism and Dada, the architecture of Le Corbusier, T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland and the avant-garde theatre of Bertolt Brecht or Samuel Beckett. But what really defines modernism? Why did it begin an ...more
Published June 15th 2006 by Icon Books (first published April 23rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Modernism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Modernism

Alireza
Jul 24, 2015 Alireza rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, art
این کتاب خلاصه ای از تاریخ هنر و ادبیات مدرنیستی است و بسیار موجز به آثار این دوره و تاثیر آنها نگاهی می اندازد. کتاب در مورد فلسفه دوره مدرنیسم هیچ نگاهی ندارد و در رابطه با سیاست در اوایل قرن بیستم تا اواسط آن کمی متناقض برخورد می کند. در مجموع می توان گفت نگاه کتاب به مقوله ادبیات کمی کمونیستی است اما گاهی سعی می کند دیدگاهی معتدل را در پیش بگیرد.
نسبت به تصاویر کتاب قبل از خواندنش خوشبین بودم، اما فهمیدم قرار نیست تصاویر کتاب چاشنی طنز داشته باشند.
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Before reviewing this book,I would like to take you to the place where I read this. It was a place with thousands of books and I read this sitting in a corner by the philosophy shelf(there were chairs but I felt this way better). And there were many old books,and many new. I like the smell of old books better than the new ones. And it feels good to touch those books,most of which we have to touch as if it's going to crumble at the slightest force. And whenever I go there,I feel like I could spen ...more
Zohreh hooshangi
کتاب بیشتر برای منظم کردن ذهنتون درباره مدرنیسم و طبقه بندی دانسته ها مناسبه . در این کتاب با انبوهی از اسامی مواجه می شین که ممکنه مرتبا مجبور بشین تو گوگل سرچ کنین.
البته تمرکز کتاب بیشتر ادبیات و هنره و موضوعات دیگه کمتر پرداخته شده.
کمیک ها و نقل قول هاش جالب بودن و خوشم اومد.
Alan
Oct 10, 2015 Alan rated it liked it
I've read quite a few "Introducing" books this year. They are usually very interesting and give great summaries of whatever topic they are covering. Unfortunately "Introducing Modernism" doesn’t quite hit home. While accurately summarizing the question of modernism, the book is jumbled up with too much unnecessary text, little clarity and an overall boring vibe. This by no means makes it a bad book, simply a harder one to engage with. Still a great guide for those looking to get introduced to mo ...more
Bookthesp1
More a mind map with pictures than a book- agree with someone else who commented that it became an exercise in name dropping. However, does what it says on the tin as an introduction and provides much food for later thought- in covering all the arts it struggles to be more than a surface glance at each. However, would like to have seen a more extensive bibliography and some enries could have been put in a glossary hence leaving more room for an expanded text- the pictures are good but captions a ...more
Emylie
Oct 12, 2014 Emylie added it
Shelves: 2014-read, eav
I really like the Graphic Guides-they make complex subjects easier to digest.
Chin Jian xiong
Mar 07, 2013 Chin Jian xiong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Good starting point to get a general flow of modernism. You get a sense of what the era is about, although the book can be disjointed at times.

NEVER TOUCH INTRODUCTION TO POSTMODERNISM, unless you're the type that likes to read about all those horrible abstract theories by Foucault, Derrida, Lacan and other post structuralist nonsense. In fact the only truth you need to know about postmodernism is the belief that there are "no grand meta-narratives".
Christopher McQuain
This is the kind of "-- for Dummies" book I should be embarrassed to have read, and it is rather silly and shallow in many ways. Still, it's a great little thumbnail source of information about a theme/movement/period I'm much interested in, so I found it useful--lots of brief, intriguing explanations of names/works to follow up on--and it's really only meant to be that. Inspired by my recent reading of Tom McCarthy's neo-modernist -C-.
محمد كلفت
Jul 11, 2015 محمد كلفت rated it liked it
Shelves: media, comics
These well written, well researched, and one might also add well curated, introductory guides are amazing in their presentation of a complex subject matter in such a way that, besides being highly useful, gives the pleasure of graphic (non)fiction 'reading', and aptly modern (postmodern?) in being galleries in book form. The visual material is not mere illustrations accompanying the text but rather complementary and integral.
Matthew
This book is a graphic documentary approach to Modernism. It provides a decent overview. On the other hand, it does not have much depth and often feels like it is just name-dropping rather than providing a summary of the subject. The book was worth reading as it did put some of the cultural history of Europe in context with the political history than is most often covered in popular histories.
Destiny
I started to skim towards the end. I liked it but the postmodernism one seemed to capture my attention more than this one did.
Mike
Very good introduction to modernist art. There's not much in here on philosophy or the modernist strain of thought, but that makes sense given that it's so broad a topic.
Eric
Jan 28, 2010 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah. Comic Books.
Ade Sango
Ade Sango marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
ArtichokeHeart
ArtichokeHeart marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Shawna Hunter
Shawna Hunter rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Rawoyo Abdurrouf
Rawoyo Abdurrouf marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Mariem
Mariem marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Amit Dutta
Amit Dutta marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Alex M
Alex M marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Prema Arasu
Prema Arasu marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Patrick Cooley
Patrick Cooley marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Zoë
Zoë added it
May 12, 2016
Joseph M
Joseph M marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Yasin
Yasin rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Catalina
Catalina is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Sadegh
Sadegh rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Introducing Postmodernism
  • Introducing Cultural Studies
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Foucault
  • Introducing Ethics
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Romanticism (Introducing)
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Sociology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Critical Theory