Start by marking “The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)

The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,340 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Having survived the perils of a journey across half the world, Romulus and Tarquinius are press-ganged into the legions, which are under imminent threat of annihilation by the Egyptians. Meanwhile in Rome, Romulus's twin sister Fabiola lives in fear for her life, loved by Brutus, but wooed by Marcus Antonius, his deadly enemy. Soon after, Romulus fights at Zela, the viciou ...more
Published August 12th 2010 by Preface Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Road to Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road to Rome

Gaby
You'll need to read each of the books in Forgotten Legion series in order. Ben Kane creates complex characters that undergo incredible trials. As they escape death and tempt fate, the lead characters are forced to give up things that they hold dear.

The twins Fabiola and Romulus are children of a slave woman who was raped by high ranking Roman citizen. The twins never know who their father is but hold a deep anger and hatred towards him for the pain inflicted on their mother. They're exceptional
Speesh
Why do all good things have to come to an end?

Who said that?

They need a slap. And they need to read The Forgotten Legion trilogy. If ever there was a book you didn't want to end, it's this one. If ever there was a series you didn't want to end, it is The Forgotten Legion trilogy. Couldn't we convince Ben that 'trilogy' actually means 'four', or 'five', or...well, you get the picture.

Here and now, The Road to Rome is, of course, the culmination of Ben Kane's Forgotten Legion trilogy and I don't k
Dave
I have read the previous two books from this trilogy and although there were some issues with writing and style, the story was interesting enough and the plot moved along at a nice pace. The historical detail seemed quite accurate, to someone like me, with just some generic knowledge about the period.

In this third book, however, it became more and more difficult to sidestep the issues I have with the writing. The main issues that bothered me were a constant shifting of POV and the ploy to stop c
Ian
I was looking forward to receiving this as the first two books in the series were so good. As it was, I finished it within two days of receiving it 'hot off the press'.

The central storyline in the series is a little far-fetched, even more so than is typical in the genre. However the historical background and detail is first class. What Ben Kane does best is the way he inter-twines the various storylines and constantly leaves the reader on a knife-edge. This means, of course, that it is hard to p
Paul
An adequate end to a series that does what's necessary to tie up the loose ends and bring the story to a conclusion without actually adding anything to the series. Kind of like the lid on a jar; purely functional and featureless.

I could go into this in depth but frankly I can't be arsed.
While I'd feel harsh slagging this book off as it's not actually a "bad book", it's just too lacklustre to be able to make any comment on without having to force one out.
Simon
I have finally completed Ben Kane's trilogy and what a struggle it was. By the end I had lost all sympathy for and interest in the characters. That the two, possibly three, male heroes should survive to live again in further adventures is more than I can bear. There were further mistakes to irritate - Roman triremes sailing in mid ocean - I think not! I shall not be reading any sequels.
Wayne Farmer
Last in the Forgotten Legion Trilogy, and another well researched good historical read. I really enjoyed this trilogy of novels and they really bought Roman life, well, to life! I found myself really disliking Fabiola and her ruthlessness and really liking Romulus and his honour.
Sadly, while for me the book is probably deserving of 5 stars, I personally don't like fictional characters in historical books being so close to actual historical events that they virtually wield the killing blow themse
Sammie
This is the final book of a trilogy. It concludes the story of twins - born into slavery after their mother was raped by a Nobel man. Romulus and Fabiola had a terrible start in life. Regularly beaten, barely fed and sheltered, witness to repeated rapes of their mother by their master, and finally sold - Romulus to a gladiator school and Fabiola to a brothel. The backdrop to this is Caesar’s rise and fall. The historical basis of this book is good and interesting, and from what I can tell as acc ...more
Simon Turney
The Forgotten Legion series is one of the strongest series set in ancient Rome that has been produced to date. The scope of the series in length of years, geographical reach, depth of character and intertwining some of the most tumultuous and important events in the history of he world with the life story of a small number of fictional characters is phenomenal. As a series, it is sad to reach this point and see it end.

The third and final novel of the series is a complex weave of history and fict
John Salter
In the final volume of the Forgotten Legion Chronicles, The Road to Rome the story reaches its conclusion and finds Romulus eventually returning to the city he fled ten years before, when he was wrongly blaimed for the death of a noble. After being captured and made to fight in a foreign army, escaping and fighting for Caesars legions, he returns home in search of his sister and to seek revenge on the man that sold him and his family into slavery.

With a back drop to reality Romulus marches throu
Robin Carter
Having read the first two books in this series by Ben Kane and enjoyed them both I looked forward to book 3 Road to Rome with great interest.

The Forgotten Legion series centres around twins Romulus and Fabiola, who were birthed by their slave mother who was raped by a mysterious noble-born Roman, the whole series is driven from that one act and the twins pursuit of truth and freedom.

Book three very much revolves around the rape, and how Fabiola plans revenge against who she sees as the rapist, w
Elizabeth Sulzby
I have found the entire trilogy on the Lost Legionnaires very interesting and a good fit with historical events. It was hard to follow which "friends" are the actual three friends over the books but it resolved itself at the end of the third. I listed them both as fiction and historical fiction because the fictional trio of friends are embedded in historical events and Kane helps one remember which kind of sources he is using.

I'm not going to write much more about these books except one aspect o
Michael
This ended as I suppose it had to, in tragic fashion. Romulus and Tarquinias return to a Rome in turmoil. Caesar is taking over. Romulus kills a rhinoceros in the arena. Fabiola becomes a somewhat evil person, though her motivations make good sense. This is fiction of course, but based closely on true events. Odd that the death of Julius Caesar, who'd broken every law of the democracy to become a dictator marked the end of the Roman Republic. He was an impressive person (understatement intention ...more
David
Final part in Ben Kane's Forgotten Legion trilogy, this follows the same format as the previous two books ('The Forgotten Legion' and 'The Silver Eagle') in following it's protaganist section about, ending each section on a cliffhanger.

Whereas before this could be slightly jarring (moving from Rome to, eg, Alexandria, and then back to Rome), it works slightly better in this novvel as some of the characters are working their way back to the seat of the Roman Republic eventually taking it section
Kyle Dent
I love Ben Kanes books and I think the forgotten legion trilogy is his best work to date, I honestly can't think of a series I have enjoyed more than this one, however I don't like that he's left us dangling with the prospect of a search for one of the stories missing heroes, it's hugely frustrating, I don't care what Kane says, this series is not finished!
Jenny
Dang it! I waited and I waited for Romulas and Fabiola to be reunited and when at long freaking last they were, in a very dramatic scene, I cried a little...and then the author rushed into a hectic conversation that ruined said reunion and I'm still a little bitter. I know he had to end it and I know he needed to hurry it along but did he have to end it THAT fast?! Did their lives have to be so miserable?! I guess that's what I get for getting emotionally invested in these characters.

I LOVE Rom
Tiberije
First book in trilogy was good. Second was readable but third one is chore. It would have been better if Kane wrote one book than trying to make trilogy that failed to deliver. It is like Matrix, first one is great and as you watch series you wonder what happened to the original idea.
Soteris
Road to Rome concludes the journey of Romulus and Fabiola in their attempts to find each other and discover the identity of their father.
The story is cleverly done as we see the triumphs of Ceasar from anothers view and is so well written you can smell the stench within the city of Rome.
I dont want to say anything about the story as this book concludes a major part of the story being the third although hopefuly not the final in the current Forgotten Legion series, but those who have enjoyed the
Stephen Dawson
The (increasingly misnamed) series comes wonderfully to a head in this the third book, with the various threads coming together, with some elements rather predictable, but none the less enjoyable for that. Ben Kane has left himself an opening for another, but no sign of it yet.
Jmidi
An excellent conclusion to a well written series.
Caesar's final days are presented from a different point of view.
Christopher
Linda Harkins
This historical novel covers the four years leading up to the assassination of Julius Caesar on the Ides of March in 44BC. The story proceeds via Romulus--slave, gladiator, soldier--who is manumitted by Caesar when he fights as a nexii (convicted criminal) and kills a rhino in a gladitorial spectacle ordered by Caesar. The reader is also reintroduced to the twin sister of Romulus, Fabiola, and Tarquinius, the Etruscan haruspex (soothsayer) and warrior, who surfaced in Kane's earlier novel, The F ...more
Michael
A cliff-hanger at the end of each chapter! Wish there was a book #4.
Travis Jones
Not far into it so far but already it's a phenomenal read!
Angelique Simonsen
awesome trilogy. read them one after the other :-)
Rob
A fine ending to the Forgotten Legion series. I thought book II was not the same quality as the opening novel and had some reservations regarding The Road to Rome. However, Ben Kane returns to form and nails it.

A tragic ending, but you still leave with at least one hero, Romulus, shining bright. I always prefer when an author wraps up a story, leaving very few unanswered question. Especially after investing time in a heavy trilogy. Kane's ending is great. Although he does leave open the door for
Elaine
Felt that this was a satisfying conclusion to an excellent series. Nowhere near as gory as p2, with more detail about life in Rome, which I enjoyed. I feel that Kane has left it open ended and will pick up the tale again-but I hope that he doesn't. The expoits of Romulus and Tarquinius were just getting too far fetched-to say nothing of the teaser, that Brennus may still be alive! How often can they find themselves in deadly situations, and escape? I hope that the series is now concluded, rather ...more
Kev
Sudden, poor ending.
Ronnie Laws
What a Great end to this Trilogy.Wow
John
The final book in the Forgotten Legion Chronical.

A supurb read that keeps your interest all the way through. The story of twins (boy/girl) sold as laves takes the reader on such different paths that diverge and some how, by the grace of the gods, meet up.

The characters and storyline offer the reader an insight into Rome and its peoples.

The historical discriptions of times and places are faultless. If you love stories of the Roman Empire, you're goning to love this.

I can recomend this book very h
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4)
  • Wounds of Honour (Empire, #1)
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
  • Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
  • Caligula (Rufus, #1)
Ben Kane is a bestselling Roman author and former veterinarian. He was born in Kenya and grew up in Ireland (where his parents are from). He has traveled widely and is a lifelong student of military history in general, and Roman history in particular. He lives in North Somerset, England, with his family.
More about Ben Kane...

Forgotten Legion Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Forgotten Legion (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #1)
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)
The Forgotten Legion (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #1) The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2) Hannibal: Enemy of Rome (Hannibal, #1) Spartacus: The Gladiator (Spartacus, #1) Spartacus: Rebellion (Spartacus, #2)