Start by marking “The River at Green Knowe” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The River at Green Knowe

L.M. Boston

The River at Green Knowe (Green Knowe #3)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  797 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Illustrated by Peter Boston.

L.M. Boston's thrilling and chilling tales of Green Knowe, a haunted manor deep in an overgrown garden in the English countryside, have been entertaining readers for half a century. Now the children of Green Knowe--both alive and ghostly--are back in appealing new editions.

The spooky original illustrations have been retained, but dramatic new co
Hardcover, Large Print, 208 pages
Published by Chivers North America (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The River at Green Knowe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The River at Green Knowe

Angela
Jul 19, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The River at Green Knowe is the third book that I've read in the series by Lucy M. Boston and I found it to be as enchanting as the others.

In this story, the children - Ida, Oskar and Ping - go to stay at Green Knowe with Ida's Great Aunt Maud and her friend, Miss Bun. The adults let the children plan their own summer holiday, so Ida, Oskar and Ping embark on wonderful adventures along the many waterways around the house.

For me, the charm of the story lies in the descriptions of the river and t
BookSweetie
The third of six in the Green Knowe series.

Green Knowe is based upon an actual English house where author Lucy Boston lived: The Manor at Hemingford Grey built in the 1130s complete with moat and gardens; it is one of the oldest continuously occupied houses in Britain.

I can't believe Mrs. Oldknow (and Tolly) to whom readers have become attached in the first two books.... are simply gone with no clear explanation --- and a whole new cast of characters inhabit Green Knowe for the summer!

Am I
Joy Manne
Sep 14, 2013 Joy Manne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are children’s books for children defined by age, and children’s books for everyone’s Inner Child. Boston takes us on a journey through the countryside and the country of unlimited imagination and innocence. Would a modern child be able to travel with her?

Two eccentric old women, Dr Maud Biggin, an archaeologist, and Miss Sybilla Bun, a cook, eater and provider of food for others rent the old house Green Knowe for the summer and invite two displaced children, Oskar and Ping, as well as Mau
Meredith
When I first read the Chronicles of Green Knowe, I skipped The River at Green Knowe and A Stranger at Green Knowe because they didn't contain Tolly or the house spirits. I realize now that was foolish. This book was wonderful that I'm sorry that the characters of Oskar and Ida don't reappear in any of the later books. I would have liked to see an adventure with Oskar, Tolly, and Toby.

Warning: The River at Green Knowe contains a lot of magical happenings, so it requires a greater suspension of di
Tabitha
Feb 22, 2013 Tabitha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite one of the series so far!! Scrumptious and beautiful with just the right mix of reality and fantasy. I didn't want it to end and will be thinking of their adventures for many days. At first I was disappointed to not meet Tolly and his grandmother, but Ida, Oskar, and Ping have become new heroes and the two aunts kept me laughing. Such a gorgeous book.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I enjoyed this installment, though I put it down for a bit. It's quite different from the first two Green Knowe books--different characters, no "ghost children" etc. I think the author wanted to make the house the main character this time, and may have worried about running out of ideas and repeating herself. I did find it a bit odd that Granny and the MC of the first two books rented out the house after finding the Treasure of Green Knowe (if it's in the title it's not a spoiler), and also that ...more
stephanieisabookworm
This has always been and continues to be my favorite book of the series! Tolly mentions at the end of the previous book being able to use some of the money from the jewels to go to Cornwall next summer, so his and Granny's absence from this book seems natural. I love Oskar and Ida and Ping, and despite some dated references to Ping's ethnicity, these children make lovely new protagonists. The river takes center stage here, with the house off to the side--after all, it wouldn't do to have strange ...more
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
Where did Mrs. Oldknow and Tolly go?! Book three in the Children of Green Knowe series is a good enough fantasy story, but so different than the first two that it didn't seem part of the series at all.

Mrs. Oldknow is away and has evidently let the house for the summer to two friends, Dr. Maud Biggin and Miss Sybilla Bun. They've sent for two refugee boys to stay with them for the summer, Oskar from Poland and Ping from China, and are also hosting Dr. Biggin's niece, Ida. The children are unsuper
Thomas Shepherd
Apr 07, 2014 Thomas Shepherd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy Boston's first and original book, The Children of Green Knowe has long been a favourite of mine - a ghost story with a hint of fantasy set in the quietly mysterious Fens. Six years ago I visited the actual Green Knowe house and had a tour of the Norman manor house in Hemingford Grey by Lucy's daughter, Diana Boston.

The second book in the series, The Chimneys of Green Knowe is a similarly fantastical time-shift story, but this third installment lacks for most of the story any of the ghost or
Elinor  Loredan
Feb 12, 2012 Elinor Loredan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2012
Two years ago I didn't get even ten pages into this book, but now I've finished it. Boston certainly shows wonderful imagination and beautiful writing, especially in a passage on page 131:

'When the sun is in the sky, every eye turns away to escape the blaze, but the moon compels sight and thought to follow its course up toward the zenith, with the result that by contrast the height of trees and buildings seems dwarfed. Green Knowe seemed smaller, but at the same time charged with awe. It had ch
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 04, 2016 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only L.M. Boston's biggest fans
I absolutely adored the first two books in L.M. Boston’s Green Knowe series. In the first, The Children of Green Knowe, we meet Toseland, nicknamed Tolly, a boy sent to live with his great-grandmother, Mrs. Oldknow, and three 17th century children who haunt Green Knowe from their painting. In the next book, The Treasure of Green Knowe, I missed the ghostly but gentle Toby, Linnet and Alexander Oldknow, but I reveled at the return of Tolly and Mrs. Oldknow and the introduction of two 18th century ...more
Louise
My 8yo daughter loves the Greene Knowe books, and I remember loving them as a child so we're very much enjoying reading them together. We both loved the first two (The Children of Green Knowe, the Chimneys of Green Knowe), but both were a little disappointed in this book.

It took us a long time to read, I suspect because the story has much less narrative drive than the two previous books - it's not a plot, so much as a series of extraordinary and magical adventures strung together with no real cl
Nen Simmons
Oct 21, 2014 Nen Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After my initial disappointment that it did not feature Tolly and the ghost children wore off, I really enjoyed this book. The new children are great characters, the adventures they have are magical, and some of the conversations they have border on the philosophical and spiritual. The book is so well written you feel like you are there with them. The characters of Miss Bunn and Dr Biggin are really interesting, and I'm sorry they didn't feature in it a bit more.
Lillian
I read this book when i was 11 or so, i didn't realize it was a series or that it was the third book. It was an excellent book but when i was reading i felt like i was missing something. Which I now realize is because i never read the first two books. A great read with an interesting plot and a good writing style
iamtedae
Mar 23, 2008 iamtedae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young fans of fantasy
Shelves: favorites
Part of a six-book series, this book is uniquely entertaining: magical, surprising, and a little, just a little, frightening, it capitalizes on the feeling that the oldest houses keep some of their history within their walls. This chapter introduces three new children, and their adventures on the "river" that borders Green Knowe. They discover a magical island, and a "Robinson Crusoe" type hermit, among other fascinating things. I loved these books immensely as a child, and find them both amusin ...more
Heidi Haskell
Oct 17, 2014 Heidi Haskell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like that we still got the magical feeling of Greene Knowe, without infringing on the ghosts, who really only belong to the family.
Ending seemed kind of abrupt, though.
Ivan
May 13, 2015 Ivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More episodic then the other books in the series, this is still rewarding. Very well written, with nice set pieces. Still, and it is very fresh in my mind, this is my least favorite of the five early books. I missed Mrs. Oldknowe and Tolly.
Thebruce1314
I know that this is considered a "classic" by some readers, but I just couldn't find any interest in the story. It should have taken me a couple of hours to read but, instead, took me a couple of days, because I don't like to give up. The story didn't flow - it is about three children who set out each morning in a canoe to try to find adventures on a nearby river. Somehow strange/magical things happen to them on their journeys, which then disappear with no explanation (like one of the children s ...more
Carolyn Johnson
Apr 13, 2016 Carolyn Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, which is #3 in the series. The descriptions of the river and the children's explorations are just enchanting.
Elise
Jan 17, 2016 Elise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay. Not my style. Very fantasy, no real plot, kind of like an Alice in Wonderland style. Kind of skimmed a lot toward the end.
Robin
May 06, 2014 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, but I didn't like this one as much as the first two.
Aidan Michael
Jun 26, 2015 Aidan Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an amazing book.
Travis
Jan 27, 2010 Travis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Really nice, gentle fantasy story about three kids spending the summer at the old house at Green Knowe, where they are promptly ignored by all the adults and so spend their days exploring the magical river.
Fantasy and reality mixed so smoothly that the magical elements never seem jarring. One day they find an old, abandoned house on an island the next they meet a giant.

Like 'Wind in the willows', it celebrates all the little moments that can make life fun, while having the occasional big adventu
Belinda
May 11, 2013 Belinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly my least fav of the series of 5 because Tolly is missing and there are some rather pointed references to Ping's slanted eyes and different ways. I also didn't like that they renamed him so his name could be pronounced. There is definitely some racism in this book.
There are good adventures though.
I didn't like either of the adults much, both were too distant and it wasn't believable that they had no idea what they did all day despite the river nearby.
A pleasant read but definitely the we
LeAnne
Some beautifully poetic passages.
P.D.R. Lindsay
Jan 30, 2016 P.D.R. Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This children's story is a charmer. I reread it yesterday. It is a short delightful read involving Ida and two displaced children, Oskar and ping, who have the freedom of Green Knowe for a summer. As this is Lucy Boston writing the adventures the children have are bound to be fantastic. And they are.

The book is a nice easy read for children, a goodone to read to children and a piece of gentle nostalgia for adults who want to remember their own magical moments of childhood imagination.
Robbi Portela
Sep 04, 2015 Robbi Portela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, nature, science
Love these books!
Brooke
I like it because I love all Children of Green Knowe books, but...it is my least favorite of the series. The regular characters are gone for this book and new characters are here (but don't worry the regular characters will come back for the next books). This book takes place more outdoors and not so much inside the house (another reason I didn't like it as much). But there are good worthwhile things about it- I just think the other books in the series are better than this one.
Elizabeth
Nov 26, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this (the third book in the series) after having read the first book but without having read the second book. Perhaps I would rate it 5 stars if I knew why the house was no longer occupied by Oldknowes (who seem to have completely decamped, furniture, toys, and ghosts and all). The story itself is a good childhood story with loosely connected episodes centered less on the house than on the river.
Kris Larson
Kind of scattered, much less magical than I remember it being from when I was little. Not as good as earlier and later books in the series. Interesting, though, that she didn't make it about a haven being reached after the children underwent all their Displaced privations -- the kids all take the good things they have in stride. Frances Burnett would have made a very different story out of this.
  • Return to Gone-Away (Gone-Away Lake, #2)
  • Go Saddle the Sea (Felix Brooke, #1)
  • The Well-Wishers (Tales of Magic, #6)
  • Swallowdale (Swallows and Amazons, #2)
  • The Wombles
  • The Diddakoi
  • Elidor
  • Nurse Matilda Goes to Hospital
  • The Land of Green Ginger
  • The Magic Summer
  • Linnets and Valerians
  • The Midnight Folk
Also published as Lucy M. Boston. Full name: Lucy Maria Boston, born Lucy Wood.

Boston was a British author noted for her longevity; she did not have her first book published until she was over 60. She is best known for her Green Knowe books, inspired by her home The Manor in Hemingford Grey, Cambridgeshire, one of the oldest continuously inhabited houses in Britain. B

Boston was educated at a Susse
More about L.M. Boston...

Green Knowe (6 books)
  • The Children of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #1)
  • Treasure of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #2)
  • A Stranger at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #4)
  • An Enemy at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #5)
  • The Stones of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #6)